Why can't we do this people?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

I like the music.
Prescott
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I love the music. I did not call Eldritch a psychopath. I do not necessarily agree with everything I think, either.

Have a nice day. Oh I'd buy 20,000 copies, even with the Yak, even if the Yak had hemmorhoids.

"We voted for Obama."

"That's a fine thing you've done. Had you not, we might have had to come over and bombed you again. he he. I think the last time that happened it was 1815. General Taylor was there. Not me of course though. he he."

"Yeah, good 'ol Zach saved the day."

"If you ever get around to banging out the new one I'll buy 20,000 copies." :Big Smile

"I just might have to take you up on that!": Smiles back

Please do, I can get a loan. :)

Later;
D.P.
"... because we're that kind of people."
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Prescott wrote:I love the music. I did not call Eldritch a psychopath. I do not necessarily agree with everything I think, either.

Have a nice day. Oh I'd buy 20,000 copies, even with the Yak, even if the Yak had hemmorhoids.

"We voted for Obama."

"That's a fine thing you've done. Had you not, we might have had to come over and bombed you again. he he. I think the last time that happened it was 1815. General Taylor was there. Not me of course though. he he."

"Yeah, good 'ol Zach saved the day."

"If you ever get around to banging out the new one I'll buy 20,000 copies." :Big Smile

"I just might have to take you up on that!": Smiles back

Please do, I can get a loan. :)

Later;
D.P.
I see, and now you're no longer dividing between Edritch and Taylor ...
should we call that a progress now? Assuming that the various academic
scientists in your head are slowly being digested by your Prescott-self,
in my very personal opinion I'd say: slightly so, but there's at least hope.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

fortunately so ... :roll: ...
shivarising
Amphetamine Filth

EvilBastard wrote:
Prescott wrote:I'm reasonably sure that most of us could happily do without a slickly-produced CD-inlay. So you press 1000 copies, probably costs no more than about $10,000 once you've bought the jewel cases, take advance orders to give you an idea of demand, sell them for $20 each, offer a limited number of signed and numbered disks for the Must Have crowd (let's say 100 of them at $50-100 each), and you've made a profit right there.

Dude, no one buys CDs anymore. And as proof, you could easily get 1000 CDs made for $800. I don't know where you get the 10k thing... that was back in the 80s maybe.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

well sorry, but i'm still buying CDs
Silver_Owl
The Don

Bartek wrote:well sorry, but i'm still buying CDs
Likewise.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
abridged
Slight Overbomber

I miss the ladies eps, lps, cds etc etc as there was rarely a dud track on them. Best I can hope for these days from the majority of bands is half the tracks to be decent, if you're lucky. With the honourable exception of the Biccies of course. ;D
The Chancer Corporation
Being645
Wiki Wizard

I buy CDs as well ... preferrably WITH a lyric sheet, btw ... :wink:

And I'd even buy a vinyl ... ;D ...
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Pretty much everyone still buys CDs. That's why CD shops are still in business. Most of those also still stock a surprising amount of vinyl.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Tell that to EMI :lol:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Prescott

shivarising wrote:
EvilBastard wrote:
Prescott wrote:I'm reasonably sure that most of us could happily do without a slickly-produced CD-inlay. So you press 1000 copies, probably costs no more than about $10,000 once you've bought the jewel cases, take advance orders to give you an idea of demand, sell them for $20 each, offer a limited number of signed and numbered disks for the Must Have crowd (let's say 100 of them at $50-100 each), and you've made a profit right there.

Dude, no one buys CDs anymore. And as proof, you could easily get 1000 CDs made for $800. I don't know where you get the 10k thing... that was back in the 80s maybe.
P.S. - The above quote Shivarising might make it seem like I said that about the cost of CD's. That was something EvilBastard said. Thanks.
Prescott

Being645 wrote:Oh I see, he's a megalomanic psychopath, he's a vampire, he's a drug gonzoid, he's a sex-crazed overlord ...

I think it is clear that a person as such should
a) never be listened to
b) not do tours
c) better be silenced
d) doesn't deserve the least empathy
e) should never ever get a record deal

and all of this because he doesn't follow, because he's better at certain
things than you are and you cannot possess him and make him do what
you please, because he exposed certain strategies of those who believe
to own this planet, your life included, and you don't even notice ... if you
have such friends you don't have to care about your enemies any longer
and you can be sure, you'll never get anywhere, since they'll see to that.
Thanks.

Really makes me wonder how The Sisters survived at all, lately. How
could they ever do a thing like First And Last And Always, Floodland or
Vision Thing. These nasty creatures must have sucked it from the air,
that belongs to our holy community, I guess.

Yes, and now I do understand Arms ... and Far Parade ...

You never said this?
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Prescott wrote:
shivarising wrote:
EvilBastard wrote:
P.S. - The above quote Shivarising might make it seem like I said that about the cost of CD's. That was something EvilBastard said. Thanks.
Please Prescott, don't overdo it now ... I apologise for any joke at your cost ...
Prescott

Being645: I like our debates, but please do not imply that anyone called him a psychopath. If you read my research page on our TBOT site I put my thoughts into a better order but it's basically the same thing I was trying to express in the earlier post in this thread. ;)
Prescott

Being645 wrote:
Prescott wrote:
shivarising wrote: P.S. - The above quote Shivarising might make it seem like I said that about the cost of CD's. That was something EvilBastard said. Thanks.
Please Prescott, don't overdo it now ... I apologise for any joke at your cost ...
It's all good! :) and I think you might have quoted the wrong quote of the wrong quote. ;) This is silly.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Good ... :D ... I can live with being a bit silly, time and again ...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Listen and repeat: I'm perfect now, I will be more perfect, later ...
shivarising
Amphetamine Filth

stufarq wrote:Pretty much everyone still buys CDs. That's why CD shops are still in business. Most of those also still stock a surprising amount of vinyl.
Come on... yes, WE still buy CDs, but WE are far from everyone. I hate it when you people make me look sh*t up!

About 1,000 indie music retailers have gone out of business since 2003, said Joel Oberstein, president of Almighty Institute of Music Retail, a market research firm based in Studio City, Calif. Former powerhouses Tower Records is just a memory, Virgin Megastore has closed its largest stores, and Borders is reducing the CD's footprint at its stores.
------------

Total U.S. music transactions grew 2.1% to 1.55 billion units from 1.51 billion units while digital growth slowed and CD sales continued to plummet for the year ended Jan. 3, according to Nielsen SoundScan, with album sales declining by 12.7%.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

There's a global recession. Sales of everything have plummeted and all sorts of businesses have gone under - Borders being one of them. CD sales may be falling but it's nonsense to say that no-one buys CDs any more. In fact, the full Nielsen Soundscan figures show that the fall in CD sales is slowing - 5% this January compared to 12-15% in the previous three years. (January sales have proved a reliable indication of sales for the coming year.) Sales might continue to fall. CDs may eventually become obsolete. But, according to the IFPI, they still made an estimated $13.8 billion last year, which means that people are definitely still buying them.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Pista
Cureboi

Being645 wrote:Good ... :D ... I can live with being a bit silly, time and again ...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
is that why you put extraordinarily massive gaps at the end of your posts?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
nowayjose

Prescott wrote:This is a large quote, directly from nin.com, but I believe you will all understand the relevance to the Sisters immediately.
Hmm, I don't think holding up the NIN mirror to :von: 's face is conducive to getting him to do _anything_...
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Pista wrote:
Being645 wrote:Good ... :D ... I can live with being a bit silly, time and again ...

is that why you put extraordinarily massive gaps at the end of your posts?
No.
Prescott

nowayjose wrote:
Prescott wrote:This is a large quote, directly from nin.com, but I believe you will all understand the relevance to the Sisters immediately.
Hmm, I don't think holding up the NIN mirror to :von: 's face is conducive to getting him to do _anything_...
REALLY? And why is that?
nowayjose

Prescott wrote:
nowayjose wrote: Hmm, I don't think holding up the NIN mirror to :von: 's face is conducive to getting him to do _anything_...
REALLY? And why is that?
Is this a rhetoric question? I can't tell.. I guess it'd be a bit like 'look, that other dude's got huge success, and why not you?'

Edit: commercial success, that is.