Ooh, little bit controversial

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Gollum's Cock wrote:And just another thing.
@Being...your argument is based upon a financial social standpoint which unfortunately depresses me.
If you agree, that being free to decide what to do with you life and what not is a financial social standpoint,
yeah, then you've got the obvious truth ... which is depressing.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

markfiend wrote:The pro-choice argument in a nutshell:

1) The woman's right to bodily autonomy: Even if you grant that an embryo or a foetus is a human being, due the rights and protections of an adult (which, incidentally, would be odd, because we don't say that a newborn child is due all those rights) there are no circumstances in which we privilege one adult's rights over another's bodily autonomy. (The example of live organ donation is frequently brought up; we would not force anyone to donate a kidney against their will even though such a donation would save another person's life.) Forcing someone to surrender their bodily autonomy against their will is slavery.
Really just playing devil's advocate here but if, as in your example above, you grant that a foetus is a human being with human rights, the bodily autonomy argument doesn't hold water because you're choosing to end one life rather than inconvenience another. Imagine conjoined twins where separation would definitely kill one but the other would survive. Would it be right for the survivor to insist on separation for the sake of their own bodily autonomy? (Yes, I know it's not a perfect example but devil's advocate, hypothetical situation to illuminate the principle.)
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
GC
Slight Overbomber

Being645 wrote:
@Being...your argument is based upon a financial social standpoint which unfortunately depresses me.
If you agree, that being free to decide what to do with you life and what not is a financial social standpoint,
You're free to decide not to drink and drive......you're free to decide not to get pregnant.
sultan2075
Overbomber

stufarq wrote:
markfiend wrote:The pro-choice argument in a nutshell:

1) The woman's right to bodily autonomy: Even if you grant that an embryo or a foetus is a human being, due the rights and protections of an adult (which, incidentally, would be odd, because we don't say that a newborn child is due all those rights) there are no circumstances in which we privilege one adult's rights over another's bodily autonomy. (The example of live organ donation is frequently brought up; we would not force anyone to donate a kidney against their will even though such a donation would save another person's life.) Forcing someone to surrender their bodily autonomy against their will is slavery.
Really just playing devil's advocate here but if, as in your example above, you grant that a foetus is a human being with human rights, the bodily autonomy argument doesn't hold water because you're choosing to end one life rather than inconvenience another. Imagine conjoined twins where separation would definitely kill one but the other would survive. Would it be right for the survivor to insist on separation for the sake of their own bodily autonomy? (Yes, I know it's not a perfect example but devil's advocate, hypothetical situation to illuminate the principle.)
There is a famous article by Judith Jarvis Thomson that addresses precisely this objection, and still argues in favor of the moral permissibility of abortion.

http://www.philoscience.unibe.ch/docume ... ortion.pdf
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

stufarq wrote:Really just playing devil's advocate here but if, as in your example above, you grant that a foetus is a human being with human rights, the bodily autonomy argument doesn't hold water because you're choosing to end one life rather than inconvenience another.
We choose "to end one life rather than inconvenience another" every time we fail to force an unwilling donor to give up a kidney.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

I quite like the Sisters' new songs, I think they're pretty good live these days, and whilst a new album would be good I'm quite happy to just see them play live whenever they play a venue nearby.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Gollum's Cock wrote:
Being645 wrote:
You're free to decide not to drink and drive......you're free to decide not to get pregnant.
:lol: ... at what cost - socially, emotionally, financially, physically ... and yeah, we're all free to live a life without decade-long medication ... cool, absolutely.

Oh, and apart from the fact, that the male half of humankind is entirely NOT free to get pregnant or not ... :wink: ... that's why they like to tell other creatures what is right or wrong for their life and body.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

popcorn, anyone?
i'm eating celery now, but maybe someone want one enjoying internet fight?
Being645
Wiki Wizard

So as to Mozilla, here's the news ...

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/04/0 ... zilla-ceo/
nowayjose
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

The man is much worse than an (alleged) homophobe... he's the creator of Javascript.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Bartek wrote:i don't understand why people need to get stoned or baked or drunk to relax.
uh oh and i despise people addicted to fags, drugs and alcohole - yes, you're sick, but at your own free will. yes, even when you're daddy or mommy, or granny, or grandpa was addicted, moreover, then you're dubble guilty of your own situations.
fair enough. i don't blame anyone else for the vices i choose to indulge in, i just reserve the right to not be told what i can and can't do with my own body/life/money. and even if alchohol wasn't dangerously addictive i would still drink it from when i wake up to when i go to sleep, which makes the fact that i am technically addicted irrelevant.

>>>no fucking way i'm going near that abortion discussion btw....
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
eastmidswhizzkid

lazarus corporation wrote:I quite like the Sisters' new songs, I think they're pretty good live these days, and whilst a new album would be good I'm quite happy to just see them play live whenever they play a venue nearby.
seconded. :notworthy:

...still not going anywhere near that abortion discussion.

Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

markfiend wrote:...must ...step ...away
Let's both go to the lo----bbyy! ;D

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
Bartek wrote:i don't understand why people need to get stoned or baked or drunk to relax.
uh oh and i despise people addicted to fags, drugs and alcohole - yes, you're sick, but at your own free will. yes, even when you're daddy or mommy, or granny, or grandpa was addicted, moreover, then you're dubble guilty of your own situations.
fair enough. i don't blame anyone else for the vices i choose to indulge in, i just reserve the right to not be told what i can and can't do with my own body/life/money. and even if alchohol wasn't dangerously addictive i would still drink it from when i wake up to when i go to sleep, which makes the fact that i am technically addicted irrelevant.
i'm miles away from telling anyone what he/she shoud/ought to do with his/her body and free time, esp. when no one hurt except him/her-self.

do whatever you* want and please, but in case of "side effects" you know who to blame

* by "you" i don't mean you eastmidswhizzkid; just to avoid any misconception :wink:
Last edited by Bartek on 04 Apr 2014, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.
Silver_Owl
The Don

I have a severe aversion to Elvis Presley.
The literary equivalent being William Shakespeare.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Silver_Owl
The Don

...and....

I really like Chase & Status. 8)
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

sultan2075 wrote: There is a famous article by Judith Jarvis Thomson that addresses precisely this objection, and still argues in favor of the moral permissibility of abortion.

http://www.philoscience.unibe.ch/docume ... ortion.pdf
And it uses some pretty ridiculous examples to do it. markfiend's example is much more sensible and elegant and he made the entire argument in one sentence rather than 65 pages.
markfiend wrote: We choose "to end one life rather than inconvenience another" every time we fail to force an unwilling donor to give up a kidney.
It's a fair point and I think it highlights the only truly reasonable position anyone can take in this debate: there is no 'correct' answer. There are strong moral arguments on both sides and whichever course you take will have undesirable and arguably immoral effects on someone. And no, that's not a copout. the world just isn't as black and white as we want it to be and sometimes we have to make an unpleasant decision and live with the consequences because making a different decision would have been just as bad.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
James Blast
Banned

Hom_Corleone wrote:...and....

I really like Chase & Status. 8)
Rad dude, rad.
NOT!
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
GC
Slight Overbomber

Erika Eleniak was better looking than Pamela Anderson
James Blast
Banned

in what way?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
eastmidswhizzkid

Bartek wrote:
eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
i'm miles away from telling anyone what he/she shoud/ought to do with his/her body and free time, esp. when no one hurt except him/her-self.

do whatever you* want and please, but in case of "side effects" you know who to blame

* by "you" i don't mean you eastmidswhizzkid; just to avoid any misconception :wink:
i knew that anyway. it's all good. 8)

GC
Slight Overbomber

James Blast wrote:in what way?
In the T and A department. ...i said it was controversial.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Gollum's Cock wrote:Erika Eleniak was better looking than Pamela Anderson
:notworthy:
Big Si
School Bully

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:apologies to mark for potentially turning his thread into a "which mainstream pop-star are you most likely to glue-up a smash hits to" . :lol:
okay -not that sorry. :twisted:
I know what you mean Lee, I can't stop listening to this Lady. So many catchy hooks in her tunes.....

Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
bangles
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Big Si wrote:
eastmidswhizzkid wrote:apologies to mark for potentially turning his thread into a "which mainstream pop-star are you most likely to glue-up a smash hits to" . :lol:
okay -not that sorry. :twisted:
I know what you mean Lee, I can't stop listening to this Lady. So many catchy hooks in her tunes.....

:notworthy: :notworthy:

No controversy there! Tove Lo is the greatest bit of pop in years!

Special recommendation for the original video for habits - the remake is nowhere near as good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKSeVyww1gw
Asperum Aestimate Fimi Aliquid Hodie