F&L&A without Eldritch?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Husek
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

panzerfaust wrote:yep. the current band is a bloody joke. if they only were comical..
Every time i see this kind of comments around here, this flashes on my mind:

Code: Select all

Rough Translation: 

- Garbage, Garbage, Garbage! Pure Garbage!

- Does he always comes here??
- Always.

- Interesting innit?
- Indeed it is.
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
mh
Above the Chemist

Mav787 wrote:There are probably 30 different songs they could easily play live but night after night it's the same set list with maybe 1 change.
Sorry, but you cannot use that as criticism of the current lineup, or of Von's current attitudes, or of what fans are prepared to accept these days.

If you go back to the 1984/85 setlists and check them out you'll see how the exact same applies to them.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

mh wrote:
Mav787 wrote:There are probably 30 different songs they could easily play live but night after night it's the same set list with maybe 1 change.
Sorry, but you cannot use that as criticism of the current lineup, or of Von's current attitudes, or of what fans are prepared to accept these days.

If you go back to the 1984/85 setlists and check them out you'll see how the exact same applies to them.
Oh yes.

Another thing is that the majority of the audience probably give a damn about changing setlists.
To the contrary, they WANT to see exactly the same great show, they've watched on video the week before and be part of it.
They WAIT for exactly the same tracks being played and for their cue in the crowd chorus ... ;D ;D ;D ... that's happiness, committment, love,
pleasure and rock ... ;D ;D ;D ... and it's got nothing to do with die-hard or elitarian fanship. It's just fun and a top nite out... ;D ;D ;D ...
Pista
Cureboi

Husek wrote:
panzerfaust wrote:yep. the current band is a bloody joke. if they only were comical..
Every time i see this kind of comments around here, this flashes on my mind:

Code: Select all

Rough Translation: 

- Garbage, Garbage, Garbage! Pure Garbage!

- Does he always comes here??
- Always.

- Interesting innit?
- Indeed it is.
:lol: :notworthy:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Mav787
One life, all I need

Being645 wrote:
mh wrote:

Oh yes.

Another thing is that the majority of the audience probably give a damn about changing setlists.
To the contrary, they WANT to see exactly the same great show, they've watched on video the week before and be part of it.
They WAIT for exactly the same tracks being played and for their cue in the crowd chorus ... ;D ;D ;D ... that's happiness, s this only ever played in , love,
pleasure and rock ... ;D ;D ;D ... and it's got nothing to do with die-hard or elitarian fanship. It's just fun and a top nite out... ;D ;D ;D ...
You keep telling yourself that......but it does get boring when night after night it's the same songs in the same order. For example Good Things - why is this only ever played in Belgium? Imagine how happy people in the UK would be to hear this just once.
Microcosmia
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Mav787 wrote:
Being645 wrote:
mh wrote: Sorry, but you cannot use that as criticism of the current lineup, or of Von's current attitudes, or of what fans are prepared to accept these days.

Oh yes.

They WAIT for exactly the same tracks being played and for their cue in the crowd chorus ... ;D ;D ;D ... that's happiness, s this only ever played in , love,
You keep telling yourself that......but it does get boring when night after night it's the same songs in the same order. For example Good Things - why is this only ever played in Belgium? Imagine how happy people in the UK would be to hear this just once.
Could the answer to that lie with the local audience, are Belgian audiences especially receptive?
Mav787
One life, all I need

Microcosmia wrote:
Mav787 wrote:
Being645 wrote: Oh yes.

Could the answer to that lie with the local audience, are Belgian audiences especially receptive?
Maybe so. I've been in the Belgian gigs and the audience are good but so was the audience in Leeds for 2 nights of the XXX tour and they didn't get it.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Say what you want to say, but i believe that AE had offers to do tour like TSOM "playing" FALAA, Floodland, VT "in its entirely", to join this sentimental business, that many other bands did. I, if that happened, respect him for not agreeing.

Eastmidswhizzkid had some point with remembering us that TSOM, according to AE, is a mockery, a joke of R'n'R. Other question is: did TSOM turn into joke, and mockery and joke turned into reality? For example, I can see that Chris seems to have same attutide toward business, unlike Ben, who seems to take that seriously.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Bartek wrote: Eastmidswhizzkid had some point with remembering us that TSOM, according to AE, is a mockery, a joke of R'n'R.
i've never said, and nor has Eldritch, that The Sisters were a joke, or a mockery. his sentiment is quite the opposite: that his is a serious rock n roll band, but that to do rock'n'roll seriously -ie properly- you have to recognise and embrace its ludicrous nature and the humour therein. the sisters arent a joke within rock n roll. they are aware of and are a part of the joke that is rock n roll. indeed one of the finest exponents of the joke. in a non-elitist way. :von:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Ok, sorry, misunderstanding.
On the other hand, i always thought that TSOM was to mock of r'n'r standards and VT was the finest and highest level of that joke (thus Tony James a member of TSOM). That they (AE) was mocking r'n'r show biz, with its poses, clothes and so.
mh
Above the Chemist

Mav787 wrote:You keep telling yourself that......but it does get boring when night after night it's the same songs in the same order. For example Good Things - why is this only ever played in Belgium? Imagine how happy people in the UK would be to hear this just once.
Still an invalid argument.

If you want to make the claim that the current lineup & gigs suffer by comparison to 1984/85, then you certainly can't use unchanging setlists as part of that claim, because today's setlists are actually more varied than those from back then.

http://db.tsom.org/tours/concerts-setli ... eddon.html
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Comparsions betwix '84-'85 and nowadays is invalide because of technology. In '84-'85, AFAIK and read here, programing Doc. wasn't easy job and space to record pre-programed Doc. was limited. While nowadays there's plenty of space, and since they switched from DOS to more up-to-date softwear, changing of setlist on one tour and, esp., changing setlist from tour to tour is possible (not change of order of playing songs). Of course, it would be valid to say that usually, most of bands go on tour having one setlist and maybe few extra songs to play. Plus, in '84'-'85 TSOM had few singles and (later) one album.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Mav787 wrote:
Being645 wrote:
[...] the majority of the audience probably give a damn about changing setlists.
To the contrary, they WANT to see exactly the same great show, they've watched on video the week before and be part of it [...]
It's just fun and a top nite out... ;D ;D ;D ...
Mav787 wrote:You keep telling yourself that......but it does get boring when night after night it's the same songs in the same order. For example Good Things - why is this only ever played in Belgium? Imagine how happy people in the UK would be to hear this just once.
Most people in the audience cannot/would not afford to see any band night after night but only once a year. Why should they get bored?
If they had a good time, they might return for another treat the following year. For those who see them night after night during a tour
"maybe 1 change" is not enough, anyway. They want a new release after all. And in case that should happen, there will still be reason
for some to complain ...

Also, The Sisters have been playing numerous songs that the audience have dreamed of for decades during the last x tours.
So maybe you'll be lucky and hear "Good Things" in the UK in November. I don't think so. But The Sisters appreciate their audience,
so one never knows.
panzerfaust
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

seen The Spinal Tap again recently

what really strucked me were the lyrics, i instantly thought they were the same quality as hussey's. especially songs like Stonehenge. lol.
eastmidswhizzkid

Being645 wrote:
Also, The Sisters have been playing numerous songs that the audience have dreamed of for decades during the last x tours. .
i wouldn't swap hearing them play No Time To Cry for the first time in 25 years at leamington spa for anything. and i think actually i would rather not here Good Things as IMHO its not played well these days. (i think eldritch probably agrees hence it's scarcity. and for those who missed it that was me criticising The Sisters- frame it.) :von:

ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

mh wrote:
Still an invalid argument.

If you want to make the claim that the current lineup & gigs suffer by comparison to 1984/85, then you certainly can't use unchanging setlists as part of that claim, because today's setlists are actually more varied than those from back then.

http://db.tsom.org/tours/concerts-setli ... eddon.html
Off course todays setlists are more varied thatn in 1985,they have two more albums worth of material to choose from after all. Other than that the current Sisters are just a nostalgia act playing thirty year old songs.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

No, they have "half of setlist includes new songs". And they record all the time.
mh
Above the Chemist

ribbons69 wrote:Off course todays setlists are more varied thatn in 1985,they have two more albums worth of material to choose from after all. Other than that the current Sisters are just a nostalgia act playing thirty year old songs.
But yet 1983s setlists were more varied than either today, 1984 or 1985.
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Bartek wrote:No, they have "half of setlist includes new songs". And they record all the time.
:lol: :notworthy:
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
eastmidswhizzkid

ribbons69 wrote: Off course todays setlists are more varied thatn in 1985,they have two more albums worth of material to choose from after all. Other than that the current Sisters are just a nostalgia act playing thirty year old songs.
i first saw the sisters live in 1990 after those 2 extra albums and the setlist still wasn't as varied as now.
Bartek wrote:No, they have "half of setlist includes new songs"..
ok the "new songs" are no longer new, but they aren't at all familiar to most of those who are only interested in seeing a nostalgia act. i have heard plaenty of complaints from old friends of mine about the amount of unrecorded (and therefore to the masses unknown) material in the set. on top of that they complain about the modern interpretation of classics, the different guitar sounds etc. if the sisters were just a nostalgia act they would cater more to those people.

you see i think the real problem here isnt actually a problem at all. those of us who still enjoy seeing the band live, and have accepted the lack of new produce as a given, will always enjoy seeing the band live and are just happy that their favourites are still a functioning touring outfit. i wont go as far as to say we are the people who eldritch is deliberately catering for but we are the ones who are happy to keep paying for the current arrangement on offer. those who AREN'T happy with it should either do something else instead, or save everyone -including themselves- from their pointless, endless griping which will change nothing.

far from being an elitist statement , when i say true fans i smply mean those of us who still love the band REGARDLESS, as opposed to those who no longer do.

Mav787
One life, all I need

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:far from being an elitist statement , when i say true fans i smply mean those of us who still love the band REGARDLESS, as opposed to those who no longer do.
You still sound elitist.

I don't think it's healthy to try to define 'true fans'. And loving a band regardless makes it sounds like a cult.

It's possible to love a band whilst not being entirely happy with things.
Pista
Cureboi

Mav787 wrote: It's possible to love a band whilst not being entirely happy with things.
That's a fair point. I love The Cure, but Wild Mood Swings sees more action as a coaster in my house & even then with the creepy clown facing downwards.

I keep seeing the word "nostalgia" & personally don't see The Sisters as a nostalgia act. If they were, they'd still sound like they did 30+ years ago. They don't They evolved. For the better or for the worse? Well, that's personal choice.
Lee's quite right in that respect. If you don't like it, then move on.

Not there's anything wrong with nostalgia though.
Floyd did it with TDSOTM. Waters did it with The Wall. The Cure did it with Trilogy & Reflections. The Cult did it with Love...the list goes on.
& we all (for the most part) lapped it up.

Bottom line is, whether you liked the album or not, FALAA without Eldritch "played as it was in the day" just (IMO) seems wrong. It would have such in important component (the voice) missing. It already suffered, to a lesser degree, when Marx left &, love him or hate him, I still think Wayne really stepped up to finish that tour.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Cedarjet
Amphetamine Filth

Mav787 wrote:
eastmidswhizzkid wrote:far from being an elitist statement , when i say true fans i smply mean those of us who still love the band REGARDLESS, as opposed to those who no longer do.
You still sound elitist.

I don't think it's healthy to try to define 'true fans'. And loving a band regardless makes it sounds like a cult.

It's possible to love a band whilst not being entirely happy with things.
Your last sentence sums it all up!
Mav787
One life, all I need

Pista wrote:Bottom line is, whether you liked the album or not, FALAA without Eldritch "played as it was in the day" just (IMO) seems wrong. It would have such in important component (the voice) missing. It already suffered, to a lesser degree, when Marx left &, love him or hate him, I still think Wayne really stepped up to finish that tour.
I understand your view and initially it was one that I shared.

Coming to terms with the fact that it's most unlikely AE would ever entertain WH's proposal then I'm now looking at this as:
1. A fan of FALAA
2. A fan of WH and Craig
As such I'd like to see it happen and I'm not too fussed about the choice of vocalist.

Respecting that there are people on here that may not be no.1 and are definitely not no. 2 then I can understand people not wanting to see it. After all it's an individual's prerogative to attend a gig or not.

But why don't those people just ignore it? Don't post about it, don't go to the gig, don't read the reviews, ignore any public proclamations from WH.

If it was a Sisters cover band in Mexico doing it then nobody would care. If you don't recognise WH as having had a positive impact on the Sisters then why get worked up about this? Ignore it and spend your time more profitably on something else.

Interestingly there has been little to no discussion about this on m*****n forums on FB. They are all too busy enjoying the new album and the tour with 40+ different songs being played across the dates.
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

Pista wrote:
Bottom line is, whether you liked the album or not, FALAA without Eldritch "played as it was in the day" just (IMO) seems wrong. It would have such in important component (the voice) missing. It already suffered, to a lesser degree, when Marx left &, love him or hate him, I still think Wayne really stepped up to finish that tour.
If the sisters would do it, then you likely might enjoy in addition to have wayne doing it. He is part of it also.

Likely disappointments about certain inactivities of andrew reflects on how to enjoy other, related things.

I enjoy that i enjoy the others. Hope to see them in two weeks
love is just a shot away