songs that make you cry.....

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
mh
Above the Chemist

bushman*pm wrote:BTW JD's Still live album still does it for me, it just gets deeper and harder and more painful as the gig progresses and then you realise it was their last ever gig. by the time it gets to decades, thats it, im all over the floor!
(does anyone know if there is a longer version than the 11 track vinyl available? id love to hear if there was any more from this gig, ie between 24hrs & transmission?)
So far as I'm aware (and I saw a handwritten set list once years ago), that's all of the gig there is.

Ceremony is the one on that recording that does for me the same way. It's so bright and powerful and glowing, but you know that this is it, there will never be any more.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
aims
Overbomber

Shít. I've had that album since before I got into The Sisters and never knew it was the last gig. Shadow Play from Still is the definitive version, imho.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

I've only ever listened to Sister Ray.. I haven't listened to the rest, or any of Unknown Pleasures.
bushman*pm
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Dark wrote:I've only ever listened to Sister Ray.. I haven't listened to the rest, or any of Unknown Pleasures.
give it a go as its probably my most precious piece of vinyl
its two very different sides of the same coin, studio tracks that never got released previously (the only mistake & the kill are awesome!) and then followed by the last live gig thats starts at a fast pace and the slows down and speeds up throughout, of special note must be shadowplay, new dawn fades, 24hrs, decades etc, but the sheer intensity of the whole disc is nothing short of righteous genius!..........
<-------but im ever so slightly biased!
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
LAND ROVER: THE BEAST FOUR BY FOUR BY FEAR! KICKS THE ARSE OFF RICEBURNERS!
Dark
Underneath the Rock

I don't mind "Warsaw", but their take on Sister Ray was awful.. even Suicide's version is better, and that's saying something. :urff:
radiojamaica
Overbomber

bushman*pm wrote: BTW JD's Still live album still does it for me, it just gets deeper and harder and more painful as the gig progresses and then you realise it was their last ever gig. by the time it gets to decades, thats it, im all over the floor!
Hey Bushman, it's exactly the same story here! Every time when Decades begins I'm lost...

Great album, Still ... (and one of the first vinyls I ever bought) :notworthy:
in dub we trust
czuczu
Overbomber

Haven't waded through all 7 pages but Nick Cave's 'Lucy' is guaranteed to make me manfully complain about having something in my eye...
Bowie's 'Letter to Hermione' is another one :(
Ahráyeph
Slight Overbomber

Ahráyeph wrote:I have that with Eva Cassidy's version of 'Fields of Gold', as I'm sure I already mentioned a few posts back in this thread. I could be all happy and the song comes on and I start balling my eyes out. True story : when I drove home last Friday evening from grocery shopping, a car in front of me had a sticker saying 'Yes, another Eva Cassidy Fan'. I swear, it made me think of her Fields of Gold and I got all teary eyed! :oops:
So I'm watching TV to unwind a bit just now. A series I like watching after dinner (it might have many of you cynical baisturts in roaring laughter if I divulge which one so I'm taking the fifth :twisted:). So which song do they play to accompany the end scene? Yup, Eva's Fields of Gold. I had only heard the first note and guess what? It started streaming down my face, once again for no other reason than hearing this song. Damn...
mh
Above the Chemist

Never got into Eva's version, probably because it's been soiled by association with the original (which I'm happy enough to admit is not particularly clever of me).

Here's another weepie for me:
All at sea again
And now your hurricanes
Will bring down this Ocean Rain
To bathe me again

My ship's a-sail
Can you hear it's tender frame
Screaming from beneath the waves?

All hands on deck at dawn
Sailing to sadder shores
Your port in my heavy storm
Harbours the blackest thoughts
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
aims
Overbomber

Dark wrote:I don't mind "Warsaw", but their take on Sister Ray was awful..
...and also not remotely representative of Unknown Pleasures.

You know you want to ;)
Dark
Underneath the Rock

I think I only bought it just to say I have it. I can't honestly see me liking it, when I only listen to 1/4 of the tracks on Substance..

Mind, the problems I have with Joy Division, as I do with so many bands, are both the fans, and the vocals. :|

EDIT: Just remembered.. HMV had a sale on JD and NO stuff in the light of the new New Order album (I ordered that on 2LP, didn't think much of it) and I bought the CDs when ordering the NO album.
aims
Overbomber

Fans = non-issue.

Fact!
James Blast
Banned

I don't get the point of buying something you don't like?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Ask scotty why he has a copy of Vision Thing. ;)
James Blast
Banned

Dark wrote:Ask scotty why he has a copy of Vision Thing. ;)
that's mine
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
scotty
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:
Dark wrote:Ask scotty why he has a copy of Vision Thing. ;)
that's mine
It is, and I'll remember it next time :roll: :oops: .............sorry :oops:
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Fair enough. Why did you want it, anyway, Keef? :lol:
James Blast
Banned

Dark wrote:Fair enough. Why did you want it, anyway, Keef? :lol:
I preordered the first two remasters prior to Zuma's deal, Keith ordered the three disc package with the priviso that I'd blag VT.
~ Peter Steele
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Yesternight, I was strolling through my CD collection (Spring Cleaning, remember? ;) ) and I found some of my very first CDs I just don't play anymore these days.
So I cranked up the volume and played, in no particular order:

- Darkthrone - A Blaze In The Northern Sky
- Samael - Worship Him
- Burzum - Det Som Engang Var
- Summoning - Dol Guldur
- Absu - Barathrum VITRIOL
- Emperor/Enslaved split

And started to weep when I heard that beautiful version of "I am the black Wizards" on that last one... It was the song that started my musical career more than 15 years ago (in a band, anyway. I've been playing music since I was 8 ;D)

AND we're talking Black Metal here ;)
For the connoisseurs, it was indeed the version on this split EP, with the lead melody in the end played on that synth-stringy preset instead of the re-issue with the fooking Piano sound... :evil:

I blame the HL Invasion. That's the easiest...

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
eotunun
Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
- Emperor/Enslaved split

And started to weep when I heard that beautiful version of "I am the black Wizards" on that last one... It was the song that started my musical career more than 15 years ago (in a band, anyway. I've been playing music since I was 8 ;D)

AND we're talking Black Metal here ;)
For the connoisseurs, it was indeed the version on this split EP, with the lead melody in the end played on that synth-stringy preset instead of the re-issue with the fooking Piano sound... :evil:
You know, I once got a copy of Dimu Borgir´s Puritanic Euphoric Misanthropia from a friend. On the way home, I dropped in at another (then) firiend and got tortured with HipHop by Agro Berlin and Bushido, the worst of crap ever put an any medium, and had to bear that audial diarhea for about an hour. When I got home, I put Dimu on, and after a few inutes of listening, fell into the sweetest relaxed sleep. :innocent: :lol:
:oops:
There is shadow under this red rock
Ania
Road Kill

Elvis Costello - I Want you.
canon docre
Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote: - Samael - Worship Him

... and I worship them...

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
Medieval Babe
Road Kill

Lyle Lovett - Simple Song
Kiss me and understand.