SISTERS for the USA Fall 08

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
bismarck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

The New York venue is my favorite in the city. seen some great bands there. Walking distance to my apartment too.
tristren
Amphetamine Filth

Add Montreal to the big list

"October 29th at Club Soda. Tickets are $32 in advance and $35 at the door. on sale this Saturday."

Tony
EvilBastard
Overbomber

bismarck wrote:The New York venue is my favorite in the city. seen some great bands there. Walking distance to my apartment too.
I can't claim walking distance but it's bloody close. Isn't Nevada's around the corner from there? Can we propose an HL rendezvous there before/after the gig? As I recall a certain singer and guitarist showed up after the 06 gig...
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Brad

Flights from Toronto to Montreal are only $9 bucks today only at www.westjet.ca
bismarck

EvilBastard wrote: Isn't Nevada's around the corner from there? Can we propose an HL rendezvous there before/after the gig? As I recall a certain singer and guitarist showed up after the 06 gig...

Nevada's is close but by no means the closest to the venue. iThe venue, the "Fillmore East", is the old Irving Plaza on Irving Place and 15th, and I believe that Nevada Slim's is on 3rd between 11th and 12th. I can think of a few places closer: my all-time favorite bar in the entire city is directly around the corner on 15th between 4th and Irving, called Polish Officer's Club (guess what it used to be?). I think they may've changed the name since I stopped drinking, and it ought not be confused with the yuppie scum watering hole next door, but it IS a great dive bar. pool table, cheap, five steps away (six on a good night). I'll swing by tonight and double check the name of the bar and post tomorrow.

TR
Brad

27.10 BUFFALO, TOWN BALLROOM
04.11 NEW HAVEN, TOAD’S PLACE
05.11 WASHINGTON, 9:30 CLUB

AT POLLSTAR....
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

WTF... if they are going to have a tour schedule this dense, all you need to follow them is a bicycle!

So we may look forward to a tour that is going to dwarf the Silver Bullet tour, at least on the North American leg...? SF not there yet, Mexico not there yet, the Southwest, Texas...
EvilBastard
Overbomber

euphoria wrote:WTF... if they are going to have a tour schedule this dense, all you need to follow them is a bicycle!

So we may look forward to a tour that is going to dwarf the Silver Bullet tour, at least on the North American leg...? SF not there yet, Mexico not there yet, the Southwest, Texas...
Do we think they're crossing off all the places that they've not been to because this is...

[a] the album tour :D (ridiculously overoptimistic, I know, but...)

the final tour :eek:
Hank Moody
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

I think it's exactly the same reason as the Silver Bullet tour, well not an anniversary, but:

In the Sao Paolo video interview from 2006, Andrew says something like "could never tour this long if it weren't for them [Ben & Chris] keeping me young".

Most likely the simple answer is: They tour this much because they can.

Maybe we shouldn't ask "Why?" anymore, but "Why not?"
ChrisNemier
Road Kill

Does anyone know if they allow local bands to open at the shows? My band opening for the Sisters would be a dream come true.... but I figured I'd ask before I got my hopes up. If it helps we can all wear Ramones and Stooges shirts.
spug17
Road Kill

HOLY f**k!!

they're playing in New Haven! never thought i'd ever see this happen!

it's so rare that good bands make stops here... especially when they're already doing both NYC and Boston...

hallelujah!!
Eva
Intercontinental Assassin

ChrisNemier wrote:Does anyone know if they allow local bands to open at the shows? My band opening for the Sisters would be a dream come true.... but I figured I'd ask before I got my hopes up. If it helps we can all wear Ramones and Stooges shirts.
I guess it's less a question of what shirts you wear than what sound you play. If you apply as THE anti-goth pro punkrock / rock&roll band you might have a chance... :wink:
You can't fix stupid.
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

ChrisNemier wrote:Does anyone know if they allow local bands to open at the shows? My band opening for the Sisters would be a dream come true.... but I figured I'd ask before I got my hopes up. If it helps we can all wear Ramones and Stooges shirts.
don't wear eyeliner and don't have a guitarplayer in your gang that hits Andrews shoulder and then shouts: 'i love that howling voice in Marian, dude'
guns & cars & accidents
Brad

Maybe we shouldn't ask "Why?" anymore, but "Why not?"
Then I ask, why not after Vancouver, they do Edmonton, Calgary, Saskatoon, Regina and Winnipeg!~!
Brad

I guess not now...

San Francisco - 11/26/08 - Warfield Theatre
Petseri
Overbomber

Methedrome wrote:I guess not now...

San Francisco - 11/26/08 - Warfield Theatre
Brad, I hope that you do not mind me copying your post from dominion (with San Francisco added). So far, 26 dates:

27.10 BUFFALO, TOWN BALLROOM
28.10 TORONTO, PHOENIX CONCERT THEATRE
29.10 MONTREAL, CLUB SODA
31.10 PHILADELPHIA, TROCADERO
01.11 BOSTON, WILBUR THEATRE
03.11 NEW YORK, THE FILLMORE NEW YORK AT IRVING PLAZA
04.11 NEW HAVEN, TOAD’S PLACE
05.11 WASHINGTON, 9:30 CLUB
07.11 RICHMOND, THE NATIONAL
09.11 ORLANDO, HOUSE OF BLUES
10.11 ST. PETERSBURG, JANNUS LANDING
11.11 ATLANTA, VARIETY PLAYHOUSE
13.11 CLEVELAND, HOUSE OF BLUES
14.11 CINCINNATI, BOGARTS
15.11 DETROIT, ROYAL OAK MUSIC THEATER
17.11 CHICAGO, HOUSE OF BLUES
18.11 MINNEAPOLIS, FIRST AVENUE
20.11 DENVER, OGDEN THEATRE
22.11 PORTLAND, ROSELAND THEATER
23.11 SEATTLE, EL CORAZON
24.11 VANCOUVER, COMMODORE BALLROOM
26.11 SAN FRANCISCON, WARFIELD THEATRE
28.11 LAS VEGAS, HOUSE OF BLUES
29.11 SAN DIEGO, HOUSE OF BLUES
30.11 ANAHEIM, HOUSE OF BLUES
02.12 HOLLYWOOD, THE MUSIC BOX AT THE FONDA
psichonaut
Overbomber

Maybe Von need some cash to pay his bills :twisted:
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
robertzombie
Overbomber

He's feeling the credit crunch :lol:
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Mr. ED - waddayathink, if Ms. Mollie isn't busy that night? Sufficiently non-goff, easy on the eye - could be worth asking... :D
Hank Moody
indy
Banned

Tickets go on Sale for Portland and Seattle on Wen

This is the newsletter sent out by the ticketswest, it's a pretty nice looking

---------------------------------------

Get tickets now!

The Sisters of Mercy
INTERNET ONLY PRESALE!!
**10AM Weds. September 10th**

Sunday Nov. 23rd, 2008
El Corazon - 8PM
$35.00

Get tickets now!

It howls, it's grindingly beautiful, and it's heading your way. The Sisters of Mercy!

In 1980...

The Sisters Of Mercy form in Leeds with Gary Marx and Andrew Eldritch. With one guitar, a three-watt practice amp and no money, they record a single "to hear ourselves on the radio". The Merciful Release label is founded to issue it and one thousand copies are pressed. The record gets played on the radio. Described by the band as "unobtainable and even more unlistenable", the rest is history...

They may have gone their own way since, but originally the Sisters were a product of their times. That doesn't mean that they typified the times.

Punk had mocked traditional rock bands, which is why the Sisters had so much fun referring to them, and the fashion victims had turned to bad funk. Before Happy Mondays and "baggy" made it fashionable to like everything from Manchester, it was necessary for a northern band to turn twee before it got any attention from the fashion police in London. Look at The Smiths or New Order.

When the Sisters started, the times - then as now - were typified by bad disco music. The Sisters were fans of Gary Glitter, T Rex, Motörhead, The Stooges, Suicide, The Velvet Underground, Père Ubu and The Fall. The Sisters liked good disco music, but they couldn't understand why even the NME was assigning the future of popular music to the likes of Kid Creole And The Coconuts ... to the exclusion of intelligently savage fun.

To now...

These days new and hence unreleased songs make up half of any Sisters set, although the classics get a good thrashing in rotation. Having derived their light show from the Big Bang (gleefully inventing rave lighting in the process), the Sisters see no reason to tone it down, and will be exploding in all their usual glory at the next suitable opportunity.

"[the Sisters are...] a lean glittering groove machine for the new millennium, leaving the sullenly anachronistic reformations of their contemporaries far behind." ~ Metal Hammer

Internet Presale for The Sisters of Mercy
Starts at 10am, Wednesday Sept. 10th!!
msm67
Amphetamine Filth

:D :D Philly!! and on Halloween! :D :D Our best friend is flying in for it (that is if they don't hit Texas), so we're all excited. Going to be a top nite!!
Dung Beetle
Road Kill

It was my understanding per The Guru that some of the more interesting Southwestern 'Silver Bullet' dates were simply booked by the promoter to fill in time between the West Coast/Vegas and Mexico. If the gang is making a run for the border again, we may get lucky again. Having quite literally waited 18 years for :von: to play in Dallas, I still fear I may be looking at another 18 years for a repeat.

You folks in Richmond or New Haven could have got similarly lucky, with what would otherwise have been a gap in the schedule filled in with a local date. More power to you, and enjoy.

We had a little medical incident this year leaving a five-digit hospital bill hanging over our heads, and this is AFTER insurance helped out, else I'd be begging to the wife "...but we need to celebrate Thanksgiving in Las Vegas!!! Good God, look who else is in town that weekend" :innocent:
sultan2075
Overbomber

Where would you expect them to play here (Dallas), Dung Beetle? I know that the Gypsy, where they played last time (and one of my favorite venues), has closed. Maybe the Granada Theatre?
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

26 dates? :eek:

This must be the promotion tour for the new album THE PLATINUM COLLECTION.... :innocent:

I am starting to get jealous....a bit! :)
"as we walk on the floodland"
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

Ozpat wrote:This must be the promotion tour for the new album THE PLATINUM COLLECTION....
:lol:
we've got beer and we've got fuel