Eldritch's Lyrics.

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

http://www.google.com/search?q=tell+it+not+in+gath

reveals:

http://www.adventistreview.org/2004-1532/story4.html
The Bible records the reaction of David when a messenger from the battlefield brought word that the Philistines had killed King Saul, who had tried to take David's life. Instead of rejoicing at the news, David lamented: "Your glory, O Israel, lies slain on your heights. How the mighty have fallen! Tell it not in Gath, proclaim it not in the streets of Ashkelon" (2 Sam. 1:19, 20, NIV).

Gath and Ashkelon were cities of the Philistines; David is saying: "The enemies of God's people don't need to hear this news!"
and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gath
Gath (city), the biblical city and home of Goliath
not so nonsensical after all ;) :P
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

Derailing onto a Rosetta path for a moment (how predictable of me)...
Gath: An ancient city of Palestine east-northeast of Gaza. It was one of the five Philistine city-kingdoms and the home of Goliath
DRIVEL :lol:

Personally I love both Hussey's and Porl's lyrics, although they both lack a certain level of depth.
I read an interview with Porl in a fanzine pretty much saying that it was more about how they sounded than what they meant. I've got no problem with that, I impose my own meanings onto a lot of Rosetta's lyrics, simpley because the floral language allows me to do so quite nicely.

For what it's worth, to me Something Strange is all about drugs, that state of blissful confusion when you're mind is more beaten up than your body but inside of fighting it you just go with it. Skip forward past 15 sets of break up lyrics...

And let's not forget the lyrical genius that is Adrenaline! "God Speed Be With You" "Cloud nine, white line" "the truth possessed within these lines" "DUST dust dust" "Lightspeed, intensity, driven by it's purity"

It's like a fcking love song to his drug dealer - I can't get enough of it!

All in all I think Porl King is a genius lyricist (not in the same way that Eldritch is, the depth's of who's lyrics drowns me). He wrote some pretentious peotry and made it sound so damn good, without ever being truely OTT. Even if it doesn't mean much, the listener really wants it to and on top of that they feel good in your mouth - just say "suruptitious evidence like dust in my eyes" out loud!
Nationalise the f**king lot.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Maisey wrote:Derailing onto a Rosetta path for a moment (how predictable of me)...
Gath: An ancient city of Palestine east-northeast of Gaza. It was one of the five Philistine city-kingdoms and the home of Goliath
DRIVEL :lol:

Personally I love both Hussey's and Porl's lyrics, although they both lack a certain level of depth.
I read an interview with Porl in a fanzine pretty much saying that it was more about how they sounded than what they meant. I've got no problem with that, I impose my own meanings onto a lot of Rosetta's lyrics, simpley because the floral language allows me to do so quite nicely.

For what it's worth, to me Something Strange is all about drugs, that state of blissful confusion when you're mind is more beaten up than your body but inside of fighting it you just go with it. Skip forward past 15 sets of break up lyrics...

And let's not forget the lyrical genius that is Adrenaline! "God Speed Be With You" "Cloud nine, white line" "the truth possessed within these lines" "DUST dust dust" "Lightspeed, intensity, driven by it's purity"

It's like a fcking love song to his drug dealer - I can't get enough of it!

All in all I think Porl King is a genius lyricist (not in the same way that Eldritch is, the depth's of who's lyrics drowns me). He wrote some pretentious peotry and made it sound so damn good, without ever being truely OTT. Even if it doesn't mean much, the listener really wants it to and on top of that they feel good in your mouth - just say "suruptitious evidence like dust in my eyes" out loud!
:lol:

yeah, porl's early lyrics were self-confessed nonsense used to set the tone rather than for actual content, but as the band progressed (digressed?) his lyrics adopted a more personal tone... i think i read somewhere that subterfuge was probably the first 'mainly personal' lyrics he wrote, and then hell or high water (the witch b-side) was the start of the whole thing getting a lot more personal...

obviously, when porl says personal he still means with that rather floral, shelleyan tone :lol: :D but if you compare the latter lyrics with the early ones there is a definite improvement.

shame the same cant be said for the music ;) :lol: :p

:innocent:
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

nodubmanshouts wrote:
(b) you managed Rosetta... their early lyrics.... wonder how Shelley is these days?
*ahem*

precident!
Eldritch, Domininon wrote:The lone and level sands stretch far away
Shelley, Ozimandias wrote:The lone and level sands stretch far away
:wink:
robertzombie
Overbomber

:lol:
Petseri
Overbomber

robertzombie wrote:... but what on Earth does "gath" mean?
It shows up in the dictionary a few pages prior to "mank". ;D
Nic
Slight Overbomber

robertzombie wrote: ... but what on Earth does "gath" mean?
He got one letter wrong. :wink:
All We Ever Wanted Was Everything
10-E Rabid
Amphetamine Filth

Driven Like The Snow
Adrenochrome
Under the Gun

That's what I think. yiipee!!!
"Go forth and become a happy cabbage"
nodubmanshouts
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

The Shelley here being the girl, not the poet...
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

nodubmanshouts wrote:The Shelley here being the girl, not the poet...
Not to mention Ozymandias :wink:
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
darkparticle
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

So, what are everyone's favorite Sisters of Mercy lyrics, and why?
I'd fail to find a favourite as I find many tracks utterly different in attitude and appeal.

I like the consistent depth, if not in a penetrating sarcasm, in an outlook or observation. I rate both Ian and Andrew as lifestyle poets and I don't think they're comparable. I don't think AE has finished performing yet and it could be that the best is yet to come :wink:
People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid.

- Soren Aabye Kierkegaard
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

darkparticle wrote: I'd fail to find a favourite as I find many tracks utterly different in attitude and appeal.
Seconded. You'd have to ask me what my favourite is right now...because it's going to change depending on where my head is at at any given moment. It's the fact that there's a lyric that's appropriate for just about any moment I might have that's kept me coming back for...well, all this time 8)
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
nowayjose

darkparticle wrote:and it could be that the best is yet to come :wink:
A customer enters a horse stable.

Customer: 'Ello, I wish to register a complaint.

DancingtheGhost
Road Kill

....the best is yet to come....as stated in Under the Gun....an all time fave!

Guess one could spend some time figuring out what :von: meant with that one :lol:
I bled all I can, I won't bleed no more
Wilkstein
Road Kill

Not to put too fine a point on it, but there's really no one like Eldritch. There are so many stand-out moments lyrics-wise that it's really, really hard to pick a favourite. I think Nicole made some excellent points... There are layers and layers of stuff and the thrill and feelings that one gets from listening to these songs is virtually endless, even if you've alread heard some of these songs thousands of times (as I have). I think that ultimately it's the confluence of Eldo's voice and its timbres, the Doktor, the chords, and everything else that creates this magnetic atmosphere...The lyrics geometrically compound the effect of the music... In any case, since you're wondering, my most unforgettable moments include:

Flood II - utterly devastating... Pure metaphysics in every respect. Quite possibly the greatest song ever.

Ribbons - deliciously psychotic... Genius.

When You Don't See Me - "You bought me a mask..." - shivers all around...

Nine While Nine - "...and I'm waiting..."

Susanne - "let the ether fall..."

...and on and on and on....
nigel d

Quiff Boy wrote:http://www.google.com/search?q=tell+it+not+in+gath

reveals:

http://www.adventistreview.org/2004-1532/story4.html
The Bible records the reaction of David when a messenger from the battlefield brought word that the Philistines had killed King Saul, who had tried to take David's life. Instead of rejoicing at the news, David lamented: "Your glory, O Israel, lies slain on your heights. How the mighty have fallen! Tell it not in Gath, proclaim it not in the streets of Ashkelon" (2 Sam. 1:19, 20, NIV).

Gath and Ashkelon were cities of the Philistines; David is saying: "The enemies of God's people don't need to hear this news!"
and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gath
Gath (city), the biblical city and home of Goliath
not so nonsensical after all ;) :P
QB you are either
a) very helpful in discovering lyric context
b) without friends and have no life :lol:
i am more likely to release an album before the sisters
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

a bit of both i suspect ;D :lol:

i'm also:

c) a whizz with the ole' googleywotsitinterwebbything :D
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

In 'Life of Brian' isn't the bloke stoned for blasphemy called Deuteronomy of Gath?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Matthias, son of Deuteronomy of Gath
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
GC
Slight Overbomber

I don't know why but reading this thread reminds me of " Grassy Knollngton" (Viz character)
Ramone

"For it is written in the book of Cyril, that a man shall not covert his donkey or his neighbours donkey."
"It was great that Kurt Cobain shot himself when he did..cos without that ,we'd have no Foo Fighters today" :Ramone, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever. November 2008
mandrake

That's what got me into the Sisters. His voice and those lyrics. Even the cover versions...The simple twist of words in Gimme Shelter(War is just a Kiss away is so much more powerful than the Stones' version). More examples?
"The razor bites and the shriek subsides"
"I don't sleep so I don't dream.."
"Nothing but the night / knife(?) to live for"
"We have fear and we have fuel"

Or for example the misunderstood "When you don't see me" As one reporter thought it was Eldritch wasting away without his love...or there is Eldritch twist ...;> (and ofcourse it would have been a MOR song if it was not for That voice coming in from below...)

Torch has some blinding lyrics. Or;
"The meek shall inherit what they damn well please"

His play with words inspired me. As ofcourse T.S Elliot inspired Eldritch.

"Names are but a souvenir"
"Dance the ghost with me"
"Hailing Mary's left and right"

"The truth is drowned"
"The light shine clear through the sodium haze"
"Love is a many splintered thing"

As for the new songs..the lyrics are still there. Still has some secrets as does Susanne..Romeo down...He still has it, now he should release it.
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

nigel d wrote:
QB you are either
a) very helpful in discovering lyric context
b) without friends and have no life :lol:
It's quite possible for Rosetta Stone to constitute both a friend and way of life :wink:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

stufarq wrote:Matthias, son of Deuteronomy of Gath
So it is. D'oh!
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Wilkstein wrote:Not to put too fine a point on it
Say I'm the only bee in your bonnet! Make a little birdhouse in your soul! Lalalalalala...

:lol: :oops: :innocent:
Sorry. I miss them. :| :von:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry: