Leeds first-time visitor

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Any small contemporary galleries worth visiting these days? Might as well do a bit of artist spotting while am there! ;D
The Chancer Corporation
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Emerald Green wrote: - For architecture and local colour, Leeds City Market is always worth a visit (and I'm pretty sure there are a couple of black beauty products stalls on there as well)
yeah, i used to get all my hair pomades and waxes from one of those stalls on the market :D :notworthy:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Mr. Wah
Amphetamine Filth

Sita wrote:Hello Heartlanders - first time in Leeds next week, and I was wondering what to do during daytime.
I like stuff like historical buildings, areas with cheap restaurants and little shops, Chinatowns... any particular recommended area?

Oh, and where would I go to find African/Caribbean groceries and beauty products? I googled "black beauty supply" but it pointed me to an, erm, night club I believe... :oops:

If you have any ideas - :notworthy:
Historical buildings: A general walk around the city will reveal a lot of historical architecture. Try the Corn Exchange, Victoria Quarter (although it has been converted into a high-end shopping area), Leeds Town Hall and the General Infirmary, amongst others. Of course there is also Kirkstall Abbey, which is out of town in ... Kirkstall.

Historical pubs - if we're talking right in the city centre there are a few but I'd stick with Whitelock's (off Briggate) which is quite interesting and, thankfully, civilised too.

Chinatown : There's not really a Chinatown in Leeds, although the area around the Travelodge in Vicar Lane (where all the HL people seem to be staying) has at least one Chinese supermarket and several Chinese restaurants. If you want cheap Chinese food it's in other parts of the city - try Crown Buffet in Gower Street (lunch @£5.90 dinner about £8.50 I think, both all you can eat) or OBM buffet in New York St, next to the City Market (lunch £6.90, dinner £9.90, again all you can eat).

If you want advice on specific types of restaurants or pubs / bars, PM me.

Sisters-related stuff: If you go to Leeds Art Gallery, you can see Francis Bacon's Head VI (basis for the Body Electric cover art). The Fenton Pub (site of 1996 Near Meth gig), on Woodhouse Lane, is really near the Met Uni ... and has the bonus of being both very cheap and having a good selection of Sisters tunes on the jukebox.

Err... that'a about all I can think of right now.
Silver_Owl
The Don

What's the name of The Bat Milk and Maltesers pub anybody? :P
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

markfiend wrote:
Izzy HaveMercy wrote:Try the local p*ss called Tetley's. It's good for your bowel movement.

IZ.
Meh. If you want proper local beer (Tetley is owned by Carlsberg *spit*) try something from the Leeds Brewery, or indeed any one of a large number of local small breweries.
I was being sarcastic Mark, I drank that foul dishwater with the first HL do, it's not worthy of the name 'beer'.

It's also not worthy of the name 'liquid', 'taste', or 'environmentally safe'.

:urff:

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Sita
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

You guys are excellent tourist guides. I am not only getting sight seeing and shopping and food information, but also health warnings :wink:
mh
Above the Chemist

Hom_Corleone wrote:What's the name of The Bat Milk and Maltesers pub anybody? :P
Angel Inn?
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Sita wrote:You guys are excellent tourist guides. I am not only getting sight seeing and shopping and food information, but also health warnings :wink:
We all come with our own health warning :wink:
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Silver_Owl
The Don

mh wrote:
Hom_Corleone wrote:What's the name of The Bat Milk and Maltesers pub anybody? :P
Angel Inn?
Thanks. :) I liked it in there. Olde Worlde style.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Hom_Corleone wrote:
mh wrote:
Angel Inn?
Thanks. :) I liked it in there. Olde Worlde style.
it's no boat though ;D
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Silver_Owl
The Don

True. ;D
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
DasPerltAber
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Do you guys know of any places that serve Old Speckled Hen? I am in dire need of a fix. ;-)
hellboy69

Mr. Wah wrote:
Sisters-related stuff: If you go to Leeds Art Gallery, you can see Francis Bacon's Head VI (basis for the Body Electric cover art). The Fenton Pub (site of 1996 Near Meth gig), on Woodhouse Lane, is really near the Met Uni ... and has the bonus of being both very cheap and having a good selection of Sisters tunes on the jukebox.
Nice! Imagine there will be several sore heads also looking for the chemist's come Thurs morning too... ;D
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
markfiend wrote:
Izzy HaveMercy wrote:Try the local p*ss called Tetley's. It's good for your bowel movement.

IZ.
Meh. If you want proper local beer (Tetley is owned by Carlsberg *spit*) try something from the Leeds Brewery, or indeed any one of a large number of local small breweries.
I was being sarcastic Mark, I drank that foul dishwater with the first HL do, it's not worthy of the name 'beer'.

IZ.
I know, Iz. ;D

I was recommending some real local beer anyway. 8)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Mr. Wah
Amphetamine Filth

DasPerltAber wrote:Do you guys know of any places that serve Old Speckled Hen? I am in dire need of a fix. ;-)
The Ship has it, usually. It's located on Briggate.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

markfiend wrote:
Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
markfiend wrote: Meh. If you want proper local beer (Tetley is owned by Carlsberg *spit*) try something from the Leeds Brewery, or indeed any one of a large number of local small breweries.

IZ.
I know, Iz. ;D

I was recommending some real local beer anyway. 8)

Ah, you mean Stella Export! ;D

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
DasPerltAber

Mr. Wah wrote:
DasPerltAber wrote:Do you guys know of any places that serve Old Speckled Hen? I am in dire need of a fix. ;-)
Then that's where I'll be at least 2 of the days of our visit..;-)
Mothra

My first time in Leeds since the late 90s, whats the record shop situation these days? Crash & Jumbo I assume. Does either of them have a second hand section?
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Shop at Crash, most excellent store.
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Mr. Wah
Amphetamine Filth

DasPerltAber wrote:
Mr. Wah wrote:
DasPerltAber ... I thought, since it'd been two or three months since my last visit to The Ship, that I'd check on the availablilty of OSH on my way home today. I'm afraid that they no longer sell it at The Ship. But I'll keep a look out for you and let you know if I see it elsewhere during my trips aroud the city.
DasPerltAber

Mr. Wah wrote:
DasPerltAber wrote:
Mr. Wah wrote: The Ship has it, usually. It's located on Briggate.
DasPerltAber ... I thought, since it'd been two or three months since my last visit to The Ship, that I'd check on the availablilty of OSH on my way home today. I'm afraid that they no longer sell it at The Ship. But I'll keep a look out for you and let you know if I see it elsewhere during my trips aroud the city.
That's a shame. :( Thanks for checking and letting me know though! :)
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

Mothra wrote:My first time in Leeds since the late 90s, whats the record shop situation these days? Crash & Jumbo I assume. Does either of them have a second hand section?
Crash and Jumbo are new vinyl and CD, both excellent although I prefer Jumbo.

Second hand you want Relics Records, which is about 1 minutes walk from Jumbo.
Nationalise the f**king lot.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Hell, coming to Leeds, I already dream of Fish'n Chips ... yeah, with Curry Sauce ... and raisins included ... ;D ;D ;D ...

Anybody know where to find the best near the City Centre?
DasPerltAber

Being645 wrote:Hell, coming to Leeds, I already dream of Fish'n Chips ... yeah, with Curry Sauce ... and raisins included ... ;D ;D ;D ...

Anybody know where to find the best near the City Centre?
You read my mind there..... Proper chips & curry.....MMMMMM....
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

there always used to be a good chippy at the bottom of town, facing the corn exchange...
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?