2024-08-04 Lokerse Feesten, Belgium

Are we still here!? Gig news, reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on The Sisters 2024 tour.
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

Andrew sounds great to me.

I Will Call You has been destroyed. In my opinion.

Thanks for the vids though. 😊
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
Depprocksfarfar
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Purple Light wrote: 05 Aug 2024, 23:06 Andrew sounds great to me.

Thanks for the vids though. 😊
"Great" sure is some very positive thinking.

Here's "I Was Wrong" destroyed:

...and the otherwise so solid "Eyes of Caligula" not very far behind:
ruffers
Overbomber

Purple Light wrote: 05 Aug 2024, 23:06

Tend to agree. I liked its old chugging drive. Too much twiddle in this one.
Chucking another log on
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

thanks for the videos, nice to see they are constantly working on the songs. black planet in the US
love is just a shot away
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

ruffers wrote: 06 Aug 2024, 10:04

Thirded. I hadn't got round to giving that one a listen, destroyed is perhaps too strong a word for me but it's impact as a psychedelic stomper has definitely been reduced somewhat. That said, they'd already shortened the supergroovy psychedelic break in the middle, ie the bit everyone used to cheer like fk about in its original form. Neverind eh. If they're removing the chug out of everything then now is the perfect time to reintroduce the sublime beyond words Black Sail into the setlist. But then I still operate on the mentality of thinking the perfect Sisters setlist would currently contain precisely no songs that were ever recorded and released officially. Except Susanne, that can stay.
If you were asking my opinion then I would say delete that.
Fallon
Road Kill

Planet Dave wrote: 06 Aug 2024, 14:55

Thirded. I hadn't got round to giving that one a listen, destroyed is perhaps too strong a word for me but it's impact as a psychedelic stomper has definitely been reduced somewhat. That said, they'd already shortened the supergroovy psychedelic break in the middle, ie the bit everyone used to cheer like fk about in its original form. Neverind eh. If they're removing the chug out of everything then now is the perfect time to reintroduce the sublime beyond words Black Sail into the setlist. But then I still operate on the mentality of thinking the perfect Sisters setlist would currently contain precisely no songs that were ever recorded and released officially. Except Susanne, that can stay.
Yeah, I'm not sure I'd go so far as "destroyed" either but I do think that it's current form departs from most of the things that made it a favourite for me. I do respect the overall impetus though, as the song should transform to reflect the band, so I'm not complaining as such. There's also something so so Sisters about inverting the arrangement in this particular fashion, ie Ben's high end is now the lower end, Dylan's deep chug-a-lug replaced by Kai's shimmery bits, but what can i say? Just doesn't resonate with me like this.

Can't help wondering if I might connect with it a little more if they make some more extensive adjustments to the backing track though. That first post-chorus break doesn't really feel like it's part of the same song anymore, not sure if anyone else finds it a little awkward now.

Maybe there's just a bit more work needed to bring the arrangement to life properly.
ROBBIE

It seems like the live songs are now like the studio recordings…”working progress” :roll:
"Genevieve, I think you're lovely But Genevieve, it's time” TSOM 2020
Rise891

Pink Floyd :lol: :lol: :lol:
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Rise891 wrote: 06 Aug 2024, 23:01 Pink Floyd :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maybe they should start playing "Comfortably Numb" again.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Depprocksfarfar

Lucretia My Reflection:

Temple Of Love:

This Corrosion:
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Oh what a lovely day it was :notworthy:
Way too much crowd to really enjoy it, but the final Front 242 concerts in our homecountry (3 more in the AB early next year and that's it), that does tend to bring a lot of the old guard together... and rightly so.
On top of that it was just an absolutely amazing line up the Lokerse feesten put together, for me one of the best they ever have come up with. And I've been there every year since 1997 ;D

Anyway, the Sisters as part of a bigger thing, that is how it should be. Just 2nd to the headliners, they remain such a big part of our culture even after many harsh & harsher reviews over the years.
This time the show had just begun when a bald 50 something dude came to stand next to us and within minutes asked when Eldritch had cut his hair. 'Last time I saw him he had long hair!'
So still, people that haven't seen the band since the Vision Thing days seem to find their way back... I can only laugh out loud in disbelief and crack a joke with the dude. All good though :lol:

The show then: seen them far better, seen them far worse. Every time they change the sound of things (Ben is singing low nowadays?!) and always it generates a big smile on my face!
My friend & myself have a great time, with over the top singing along & dancing especially with the old choons like Dominion & More & Lucretia. I wish they'd play Suzanne or Black Sail again though...

All in all another show with very mixed opinions about it :lol:

Best shows that day were, for me, La Muerte (I've been a fan of theirs for as long as the Sisters, since 90-91), the 242 gang & my fave: Jah Wobble!
I have danced & danced, watched out with the booze, danced & danced some more. Top Day Out! Miss it already :notworthy:
in dub we trust
doctor_jeep
Amphetamine Filth

Fallon wrote: 06 Aug 2024, 16:10

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd go so far as "destroyed" either but I do think that it's current form departs from most of the things that made it a favourite for me. I do respect the overall impetus though, as the song should transform to reflect the band, so I'm not complaining as such. There's also something so so Sisters about inverting the arrangement in this particular fashion, ie Ben's high end is now the lower end, Dylan's deep chug-a-lug replaced by Kai's shimmery bits, but what can i say? Just doesn't resonate with me like this.

Can't help wondering if I might connect with it a little more if they make some more extensive adjustments to the backing track though. That first post-chorus break doesn't really feel like it's part of the same song anymore, not sure if anyone else finds it a little awkward now.

Maybe there's just a bit more work needed to bring the arrangement to life properly.
Oof, yeah, that's kinda slaughtered by now. Your first sentence nails it. It was a stomper. Now it's a bit banal and bland. For me, Show Me took the same route after its premiere at Trix back then.
Clearly now the past mistakes
The giant steps we had to take
The path that ever promise made to
Die in dream dissolve and fade