Gift reissue plus extras

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

All black disc? I'm IN!
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
DomConway
Filth

🤣
the only thing to fear is fear itself
ruffers
Overbomber

I've got cassette and all that already but have ordered this anyway.

Will it now be available on Spotify for my listening convenience?
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Planet Dave wrote: 04 Dec 2022, 12:05 All black disc? I'm IN!
:lol: Well why didnt they just say that from the start!
:roll:
deckard303 wrote: 02 Dec 2022, 15:02 Look closely and you will spot a personnel change on rear sleeve of this Cadiz release - looks like they've replaced legendary 1986 band member Alan Vela with some bloke called Alan Vega
its only the bootlegged cds that call him Alan Vela...
Last edited by eastmidswhizzkid on 04 Dec 2022, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
eastmidswhizzkid

Pista wrote: 03 Dec 2022, 21:47
DomConway wrote: 03 Dec 2022, 13:49 Latest update from Cadiz says the record will be pressed on clear vinyl and a cassette will be released too later in 2023. Posting this from my phone and can’t figure out how to attach screenshot.
No 8 track or reel-to-reel?
That's me out then.
no wax cylinder? no wandering minstrels travelling from market town to village green performing an aurally passed down through the ages hey-nonny-no version of it? they can go fukck themselves!

DomConway
Filth

I was hoping for digital. Can’t beat a 5¼ inch floppy disk.
the only thing to fear is fear itself
robertzombie
Overbomber

paint it black wrote: 03 Dec 2022, 10:30
robertzombie wrote: 01 Dec 2022, 23:53 It'll be a rip of the original CD with compression added.
It is supposedly coming from the master tapes at least. I know that much as I know who found them
If that were true, I'd expect the label to include that in their promo. "Remastered from the original master tapes", etc.

Then again, the term "master tape" has a very loose definition. The original CD is mastered from the original master tape! 😁
eastmidswhizzkid

Cassettes just about show the lack of vision of Cadiz to go with their lack of promise fulfillment. So i have already got 2 vinyl copies of Gift (1 in mint cond that i bought on the day of its release in 1986 and a 2nd hand copythat i got for 50p) a CD rip CD-r; a vinyl needledrop CD-r; a .FLAC CD-r & the officially released CD. oh and the Giving Ground 7". so theres fucck all of interst for me here.....AS PREDICTED. :roll:

markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I'm a bit dubious that they're calling the album version of Giving Ground the "extended mix of the first single".
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
eastmidswhizzkid

the entire project, from day one, has reeked of some half-arsed cowboy outfit. that it has come to any kind of fruition is to me totally fucking astounding; but any outfit who's end result is such a shoddy version of their stated goal -but that they are not embarrassed to put forward as their end result - begins to look utterly inept. IMO.

Gaijin
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

All Cadiz can do now is make the packaging interesting. A group photo would seal the deal... lol
"All God's children give good phone,
I called Jesus He's not home... "
Bonksi
Amphetamine Filth

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 05 Dec 2022, 13:06 the entire project, from day one, has reeked of some half-arsed cowboy outfit. that it has come to any kind of fruition is to me totally fucking astounding; but any outfit who's end result is such a shoddy version of their stated goal -but that they are not embarrassed to put forward as their end result - begins to look utterly inept. IMO.
I think that they just didn't know what it would be like dealing with Eldritch, I think they were full of hope and sunshine and then it was slowly sucked from their souls by the lack of enthusiasm from Eldritch, as to him its a means to an end from years ago.
It must do their heads in if they were thinking that they were gonna make a shed load of cash from it as it appears that Eldo's childrens books are making him enough dough to live off of :lol:

I dunno what other stuff they have released but I bet it was easier to do than this :lol:

Definitely up for the Bullseye "Look what you could have won" award.
mh
Above the Chemist

Yeah, one to consign to the dumper of "what might have been". The prospect of a reissue with at least the Giving Ground single versions and some This Corrosion demos, only to be left with the best hope being that the remastering doesn't suck.

There's probably a book to be written about this, at least as intriguing as the original Sisterhood escapade. Or maybe not. I find it difficult to be angry at Cadiz about it; they seem to have gone into it in good faith and the worst they can be faulted on is that their communication to us could have been better. Otherwise I feel somewhat sorry for them, waiting for Eldritch to pull the finger out, the slow realization dawning that it's not going to happen, then having to make the decision to release what they can to try at least salvage something from a project that must have started as a labour of love.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
sultan2075
Overbomber

mh wrote: 05 Dec 2022, 14:31 Yeah, one to consign to the dumper of "what might have been". The prospect of a reissue with at least the Giving Ground single versions and some This Corrosion demos, only to be left with the best hope being that the remastering doesn't suck.

There's probably a book to be written about this, at least as intriguing as the original Sisterhood escapade. Or maybe not. I find it difficult to be angry at Cadiz about it; they seem to have gone into it in good faith and the worst they can be faulted on is that their communication to us could have been better. Otherwise I feel somewhat sorry for them, waiting for Eldritch to pull the finger out, the slow realization dawning that it's not going to happen, then having to make the decision to release what they can to try at least salvage something from a project that must have started as a labour of love.
“Eldo couldn’t be bothered” wouldn’t make a very long book 😁
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
eastmidswhizzkid

i'm not angry at Cadiz hehe i didnt get excited about it in the first place! seemed like a pile of pants from the go.

a shame for those who did excited.

mh
Above the Chemist

sultan2075 wrote: 05 Dec 2022, 15:34
mh wrote: 05 Dec 2022, 14:31 Yeah, one to consign to the dumper of "what might have been". The prospect of a reissue with at least the Giving Ground single versions and some This Corrosion demos, only to be left with the best hope being that the remastering doesn't suck.

“Eldo couldn’t be bothered” wouldn’t make a very long book 😁
But think of all the times he couldn't be bothered! :lol:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Pista
Cureboi

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 05 Dec 2022, 16:46 i'm not angry at Cadiz hehe i didnt get excited about it in the first place! seemed like a pile of pants from the go.

a shame for those who did excited.
I got quite excited when I read it was "A Mercyful release in conduction with..." back in 2019.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

" a sort after classic " really? Maybe the cd version, but you couldn't give the vinyl away on eBay for most of the last thirty years. And a cassette? What the fook for? It will be nice to have it on Spotify so I don't have to drag the lp out of the vault though.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Dr Cerebus
Road Kill

The younglings like cassettes. Loads of bands/labels churning them out these days. Retro bollocks if you ask me. But then, maybe I'm just bitter because of ye olde Walkman giving me tinnitus. :wink:
GC
Slight Overbomber

Strange - ordered mine from Amazon nl last week.. and received it today.

Release date was 27 january 2023?
satanarchist
Road Kill

I have the original LP. I am always skeptical regarding digital remasters played on an analog format, they usually are all volume and lacking the dynamic of the original press- Just saying.
Todashi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

So has anyone got it? Does it sounds any different to the original?
Pat
Slight Overbomber

Mine arrived this morning. It's a digi pak as expected. The CD is all black (no silver side) and plays ok in my 25 year old CD player. It comes with a postcard with the album cover on one side and lyrics from Giving Ground on the other. Hard to tell the difference in sound quality as it has been mastered louder. Sounds as good as it ever did.
Last edited by Pat on 04 Jan 2023, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.
Pat
Slight Overbomber

Timings on the tracks are also different. Original is 8.17, 8.03, 7.31, 8.17, and 6.44. New version is 8.13, 8.11, 7.32, 8.16 and 7.55. Rain From Heaven has an extra minute and ends sharply rather than fading out.
mh
Above the Chemist

Cool, so we get the RFH extended bangin' hyper-mix that had been rumoured for all these years.