RSD Reptile House

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Husek
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Just got my copy this morning.
It looks amazing, and sounds very clear, now I can safely retire my OG reptile house ep.
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

looking on ebay there are plenty of copies for sale at the £37ish mark -when i looked the other day they were Monopoly money prices. maybe its not sold as well as all that.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Alice138
Road Kill

Pista wrote: 28 Apr 2023, 13:36
Alice138 wrote: 28 Apr 2023, 12:14 Does this reissue have the same dynamic range as the original pressing?
Hello & welcome to :hl: :D
It's great to be here, thanks for the welcome! :D
mh wrote: 28 Apr 2023, 14:59
Alice138 wrote: 28 Apr 2023, 12:14 Does this reissue have the same dynamic range as the original pressing?
It's on vinyl so it's not brickwalled, if that's what you're asking. You can't brickwall vinyl the same as CD; the needle would just jump right out.

I haven't yet done a rip and comparison, but I might over the weekend if time allows. Robert Zombie is generally the best person for these though, and is very knowledgable in this regard, so I'd be surprised if he didn't already have something in the works.
Hello Mh, If you do end up doing a rip and comparison over the weekend, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. It's also good to know that Robert Zombie is knowledgeable in this area and may have something in the works already, which can provide different perspectives on the subject.
eastmidswhizzkid

Alice138 wrote: 29 Apr 2023, 07:39

It's great to be here, thanks for the welcome! :D
mh wrote: 28 Apr 2023, 14:59
I haven't yet done a rip and comparison, but I might over the weekend if time allows. Robert Zombie is generally the best person for these though, and is very knowledgable in this regard, so I'd be surprised if he didn't already have something in the works.
Hello Mh, If you do end up doing a rip and comparison over the weekend, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. It's also good to know that Robert Zombie is knowledgeable in this area and may have something in the works already, which can provide different perspectives on the subject.
to say robertzombie is knowledgable in this area is a bit like saying the Sun is hot, Eldritch is a genius (and doesnt he just know it! ) and ive got less teeth than Gollum -massive understatements that dont even give a hint to the enormity of the facts.. Suffice to say our rob is the definitive audio authority. :von:

that being the case, before he has a chance to make this pointless. here's my two penn'orth: theres less clicks on my new copy. and it doesnt jump. allowing for those 2 factors i played both new and original copies back to back and with EQ off on my new turntable (i really cant think how many years it would be since i last played the original but it wasnt in this millenium and it deffo wasnt on my current rig -funnily i can remember the first time io played it like it was yesterday.*) & i cant tell a jot of difference. still seriously tinny. The needledrop on Shine Like Thunder pisses all over its cornflakes, then makes it eat them.

*i just realised that it was 1985 the first time i played /heard this EP -just over 37 years ago. now the price doesnt as much seem steep as a beautiful synchronicity.

mh
Above the Chemist

OK, so earlier today I did needledrops of the 3 main vinyl sources I have:

- 1983 original.
- SGWBM.
- 2023 RSD reissue.

I didn't bother buying the SGWBM reissue when it came out, and I didn't bother doing comparison with the CD or other digital versions either.

I didn't even attempt to do any real analysis, as I don't have great skills in that area, so I compared by eyeballing the waveforms and listening to them on speakers and headphones. The lineage was Rega Planar 8/Apheta 3/Aria phono stage into a generic Realtek line-in on my laptop. The analog-to-digital conversion is definitely the weak link in that chain. I recorded to GoldWave, which is my preferred wave editor, and other than a 20Hz highpass filter I did no post-processing, no EQ, nothing.

The 1983 original is definitely bass-light compared to the other two, but sounds open, clear and dynamic. The RSD reissue is slightly compressed, and very bassy by comparison, with the opening BOOM-BOOM-tsssh of Valentine being particularly punchy. SGWBM sits somewhere in the middle. There are little details that are different all over the place, basslines louder here, percussion more prominent there, vocals clearer elsewhere, and that not only goes for the RSD reissue but for all 3. Kiss (Reprise) is completely different on all 3.

The big surprise was that of the 3, I preferred SGWBM. It just seemed more coherent and well-balanced, whereas the original was too bass-light and the reissue too punchy. That has me wondering if I should regret never buying the SGWBM reissue.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
eastmidswhizzkid

mh wrote: 29 Apr 2023, 13:15 OK, so earlier today I did needledrops of the 3 main vinyl sources I have:

- 1983 original.
- SGWBM.
- 2023 RSD reissue.

I didn't bother buying the SGWBM reissue when it came out, and I didn't bother doing comparison with the CD or other digital versions either.

I didn't even attempt to do any real analysis, as I don't have great skills in that area, so I compared by eyeballing the waveforms and listening to them on speakers and headphones. The lineage was Rega Planar 8/Apheta 3/Aria phono stage into a generic Realtek line-in on my laptop. The analog-to-digital conversion is definitely the weak link in that chain. I recorded to GoldWave, which is my preferred wave editor, and other than a 20Hz highpass filter I did no post-processing, no EQ, nothing.

The 1983 original is definitely bass-light compared to the other two, but sounds open, clear and dynamic. The RSD reissue is slightly compressed, and very bassy by comparison, with the opening BOOM-BOOM-tsssh of Valentine being particularly punchy. SGWBM sits somewhere in the middle. There are little details that are different all over the place, basslines louder here, percussion more prominent there, vocals clearer elsewhere, and that not only goes for the RSD reissue but for all 3. Kiss (Reprise) is completely different on all 3.

The big surprise was that of the 3, I preferred SGWBM. It just seemed more coherent and well-balanced, whereas the original was too bass-light and the reissue too punchy. That has me wondering if I should regret never buying the SGWBM reissue.
PM me & i'll rip Shine like thunder TO .FLAC (robs needle-dropped digital) and post it FYEO

BBRAE
Road Kill

Got mine today. It has an extra label slapped right over the tracks on side 1....so it sounds terrible!
mh
Above the Chemist

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 29 Apr 2023, 17:00
mh wrote: 29 Apr 2023, 13:15 OK, so earlier today I did needledrops of the 3 main vinyl sources I have:

- 1983 original.
- SGWBM.
- 2023 RSD reissue.

PM me & i'll rip Shine like thunder TO .FLAC (robs needle-dropped digital) and post it FYEO
I believe I am not in need of this nonetheless most generous offer, Lee. :innocent: 8) :notworthy:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
eastmidswhizzkid

no worries brother Michael

paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Does this have a download code inside the sleeve. Just wondering to see if it's worth breaking the seal or not on my copy. Danke
Goths have feelings too
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

paint it black wrote: 03 May 2023, 10:49 Does this have a download code inside the sleeve. Just wondering to see if it's worth breaking the seal or not on my copy. Danke
No it is not
2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao
2024: Gent- Eindhoven - Lokeren - Madrid
z666
Amphetamine Filth

Somebody mentioned the other day Enter The Sisters as the best sounding release containing all the pre-First stuff. Hadn't listened to it for a while and after doing it I have to admit that yes, there's some truth to that. The RSD version sounds really big, but also a bit "fake" to me. It's like whoever tweaked It used Alice and Temple Of Love's 93 versions as a template.
paint it black

z666 wrote: 04 May 2023, 10:14 Somebody mentioned the other day Enter The Sisters as the best sounding release containing all the pre-First stuff. Hadn't listened to it for a while and after doing it I have to admit that yes, there's some truth to that. The RSD version sounds really big, but also a bit "fake" to me. It's like whoever tweaked It used Alice and Temple Of Love's 93 versions as a template.
My mate did the original Enter the Sisters (CD) later ripped to vinyl. He told me he did it because he wanted all of the early Sisters stuff in one place. He used his extensive contacts in the industry to make it the best sounding possible. There was quite a bit of tweaking along the way.
Goths have feelings too
paint it black

dtsom wrote: 03 May 2023, 14:48
paint it black wrote: 03 May 2023, 10:49 Does this have a download code inside the sleeve. Just wondering to see if it's worth breaking the seal or not on my copy. Danke
No it is not
Cheers. I guess it’ll go unheard then
Goths have feelings too
z666
Amphetamine Filth

Well, they did a bloody good job. He wouldn't happen to have some leftovers, would he? Wouldn't mind a replacement for mine.
JansenClone
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Was meandering round Scarborough in the sun this weekend and came across a sealed copy for £9.99. File under obligatory unnecessary purchases...
I am a Leeds United fan because I was very naughty in a previous life.