Who is the new guitarist?

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the mammoth 2006 25th Anniversary tour.
bismarck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Everybody seems to know who "Ben" is, but I don't. I've trolled through the forums for a thread with a title that promises to answer this question but have found nothing. Can someone tell me who he is, and what his myspace page is? Any info appreciated. Thanks. Otto.
MW
Road Kill

This appears to be his myspace page:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D=17573647

The tracks on his page are a bit of a departure from what you might envision for a "Sisters guitarist", but they demonstrate that he's capable of much more than your basic three chord progression.

I don't think he's very well known (at least not yet) outside of his previous bands (whom I'm not familiar with at all). From the accounts I've heard to this point, it just sounds like he was talented enough to convince AE at a tryout that he'd be able to fill Adam's slot without embarrasing the presentation. I was definitely satisfied with his ability during the two shows I've seen thus far on the tour. As a friend who was also in attendance in Phoenix put it, "this guy's definitely got his 'chops' down."
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Congratulations on posting topic number 10000 by the way ;)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Petseri
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Congratulations on posting topic number 10000 by the way ;)
:?: From the statistics page: Number of topics 7895.
aims
Overbomber

Aye. So 2105 have been deleted ;)
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Petseri
Overbomber

Others, though, have higher numbers, such as from the p table of the database http://myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=125346. Any non-weeding examples?
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

I think that's a post count instead of a topic count (p=xxx instead of t=xxx, makes sense to me...)
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Obviousman wrote:I think that's a post count instead of a topic count (p=xxx instead of t=xxx, makes sense to me...)
yep, spot on.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
captainskye
Road Kill

I can actually tell you that many years ago I knew Ben. Not really very well but I knew him to talk to when I frequented the gig scene in and around Bristol. He is one helluva great guy and when he was the guitarist in the Bristol based hardcore band AKO he was known as one of the most talented muscians on the scene. I was incredibly shocked but not really surprised when he told me he'd be touring with SOM. If anyone in the world would have been the best choice for the band it always would be him.
x
doc P

found this somewhere on the new guitarist :innocent:
STOP PRESS - WAYNE TO REJOIN SISTERS
After a recent chance encounter at Ikea in London between Wayne and Andrew Eldritch, Wayne is to rejoin the Sisters Of Mercy as guest guitarist for the remaining shows of the current SOM tour. This is all we know at this point but we'll bring you more news as soon as we can get it.We're also presumi...
Es ist grausam.
Dafür hat es aufgehört zu regnen.
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

captainskye wrote:I was incredibly shocked but not really surprised when he told me he'd be touring with SOM. If anyone in the world would have been the best choice for the band it always would be him.
x
Well I already know enough about him to say that he is highly motivated to stay in the Sisters and to record a Sisters album.

And I think the same goes for Chris. So what are we waiting for? ;D
doctoravalanche

euphoria wrote: Well I already know enough about him to say that he is highly motivated to stay in the Sisters and to record a Sisters album.
Yeah that's right Ben reallyw ants to invest into the Sisters and participate to the writing and recording of new album.
I think Andrew has found two great guys that he should really rely on for a new album ...
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

Can't wait to hear one of those new songs they've been working on, cause as great as they are as players i don't see how they could be bad songwriters, especially with Andrew's lead.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
TheBoyNextDoor

itnAklipse wrote:Can't wait to hear one of those new songs they've been working on, cause as great as they are as players i don't see how they could be bad songwriters, especially with Andrew's lead.
Ben said a quite funny thing when I asked him about the new songs and how they write them together:
"I make a song which may not sound like the Sisters, but with Andrews voice on top of it it's undoubtly the Sisters".

Ok, I was a little bit dunk.. so not exactly a quote, but something along that line anyway.
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

That's the spirit exactly :)
we've got beer and we've got fuel
Christian
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Just checked out Bens side on myspace. His guitar work is almost exactly what I had expected after seeing him play live. :-) In the 80ies he could have been a godfather of heavy metal I'd guess - now he was just born to late and has to play with the Sisters... bad Karma?
;-)

However, I would not mind meeting some of the girls from his "friends"-list on myspace *g*
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

captainskye wrote:I can actually tell you that many years ago I knew Ben. Not really very well but I knew him to talk to when I frequented the gig scene in and around Bristol. He is one helluva great guy and when he was the guitarist in the Bristol based hardcore band AKO he was known as one of the most talented muscians on the scene. I was incredibly shocked but not really surprised when he told me he'd be touring with SOM. If anyone in the world would have been the best choice for the band it always would be him.
x
Global search and replace Ben with Chris and Bristol with Leeds ;)

Pretty much anyway.

One guy I know who knows Chris a lot better than I do says that as long as he's known Chris, he's never been in fewer than three bands at once. Hardest working musician in Leeds.
—Bertrand Russell