Patricia Morrison - Reflect on this

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
SomeKindOfStranger
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I just won an ebay auction for this CD - the question is, do people thing it is any good? (or not...)

(perhaps I should have asked before bidding....)
czuczu
Overbomber

Bought it when it was released, even saw a solo gig at the Castle in Brentwood.

Haven't listened to it since then ;)
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

hmm. i have it.

:? :urff:

a curiosity piece really.

welllllll................ lets just say she's a worse singer than she is a bass player... make of that what you will ;) :lol:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Dan
Overbomber

czuczu wrote:Bought it when it was released, even saw a solo gig at the Castle in Brentwood.

Bought it when it was released, even saw a solo gig at Leeds Duchess of York.

Dark
Underneath the Rock

Quiff Boy wrote:hmm. i have it.

welllllll................ lets just say she's a worse singer than she is a bass player... make of that what you will ;) :lol:
Still better than Eldritch. :lol:
FLOORED1
Road Kill

I thought the cd wasnt too bad upon first release, but cant say Ive played it much since. I managed to see 2 solo shows, and thought she put on a good performance..then again back in those days I was probably a bit more smitten than what I would be now, gazing through Floodland tinted glasses.
RAISE A SMILE!
robertzombie
Overbomber

shame she didn't always look so nice
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

I like this cd, i bought it 3 years ago in Madrid....

and i do like as weel the 12" of her first proyec FUR BIBBLE and gun club as well

but not the damned!!!!
2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao
2024: Gent- Eindhoven - Lokeren - Madrid
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:hmm. i have it.

She plays bass?
beatnick138
Road Kill

I was really uncertain as to whether I would like the album or not, but I gave it one listen and I f**king loved it. Reflection is a great song.

Also, I would have to agree with the above comments that she's not the best singer, but she doesn't have an unlistenable voice. I would liken her voice to a slightly raspy Siouxsie Sioux. I actually thought her voice fit the tone of the cd.

The music on the album is definitely in the vein of Floodland era Sisters.

So there you have it. I think it's a good album, but it does have it's flaws. Four out of five stars.
dead stars

FLOORED1 wrote:I thought the cd wasnt too bad upon first release, but cant say Ive played it much since.
I have to second that. The songs never sunk in but it's a nice listening.
~dead stars still burn~
Muppet
Amphetamine Filth

Can't say I've ever heard it, but in relation to this I'd like to ask:

Why the general assumption that Pasty DIDN'T play bass on Floodland? One presumes she can actually play it to some degree, considering what she's done before and since; so it seems to me odd, since Floodland was of all the Sissies albums, the most Bass Driven, to not actually have "the bassist" playing on it??!!!

Unless that's just Eldritch's contrary side coming through again, ie. "Right, I'll make this album the most bassy of all my work; and I'll get a token bassist to join me in my work; but I won't let her play on it.... tee hee...!" :eek:
"You've a pretty good command of English, for a vole..."
vicus

Quiff Boy wrote:welllllll................ lets just say she's a worse singer than she is a bass player... make of that what you will ;) :lol:
:lol:

well, I don't think the "album" ist that bad, "reflection" even found it's way to my musicmatch-playlist.
the best thing i can say about fur bible is: there is a nice picture of pat on that record:
Spooky, eh? ;-)
"Am Anfang wurde das Universum erschaffen.
Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen."

http://www.poison-door.net/
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

robertzombie wrote:Image

shame she didn't always look so nice
I always find it rather sad some have to advertise their album with a sticker 'ex-so and so' on it :|
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
vicus

Obviousman wrote:I always find it rather sad some have to advertise their album with a sticker 'ex-so and so' on it :|
Record company decision (in most cases).
"Am Anfang wurde das Universum erschaffen.
Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen."

http://www.poison-door.net/
robertzombie
Overbomber

Surely if they slap an "ex" sticker on it then it must mean she's a bit s**t.
Dan
Overbomber

Muppet wrote:Why the general assumption that Pasty DIDN'T play bass on Floodland?
Eldritch (in some interview): "Patricia never played a note on any of the records."
Obviousman wrote:I always find it rather sad some have to advertise their album with a sticker 'ex-so and so' on it :|
Mine didn't have a sticker on it.
czuczu
Overbomber

Dan wrote:
Muppet wrote:Why the general assumption that Pasty DIDN'T play bass on Floodland?
Eldritch (in some interview): "Patricia never played a note on any of the records."
Mine didn't have a sticker on it.
Or mine...
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Ah, well, probably they put it on after it didn't sell too well then? :lol:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
pikkrong
Overbomber

bought that album years ago. don't think i have listened to it more than a couple of times and it was right after buying. so i'm not original. maybe it isn't so good album? :innocent:
do i drive
or am i driven
sultan2075
Overbomber

Muppet wrote:Can't say I've ever heard it, but in relation to this I'd like to ask:

Why the general assumption that Pasty DIDN'T play bass on Floodland? One presumes she can actually play it to some degree, considering what she's done before and since; so it seems to me odd, since Floodland was of all the Sissies albums, the most Bass Driven, to not actually have "the bassist" playing on it??!!!

Unless that's just Eldritch's contrary side coming through again, ie. "Right, I'll make this album the most bassy of all my work; and I'll get a token bassist to join me in my work; but I won't let her play on it.... tee hee...!" :eek:
It's a bit hard to be sure, obviously, but most (not all) of the bass on Floodland sounds synthed to me. I've always suspected that pretty much everything on that record except the guitars were synthed.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
delirium74
Road Kill
Location: springfield illinois, or the town of sporadic tornadic activity

thats interesting....
i was wondering what happened to her....
...what? you mean its not a purple rooster????well crap...
Muppet
Amphetamine Filth

sultan2075 wrote:
Muppet wrote:Can't say I've ever heard it, but in relation to this I'd like to ask:

It's a bit hard to be sure, obviously, but most (not all) of the bass on Floodland sounds synthed to me. I've always suspected that pretty much everything on that record except the guitars were synthed.
Yup, I reckon some songs are definitely Synth bass, but those are the "non bass driven" ones.

However, "Dominion/Mother Russia", "Driven Like the Snow", "Lucretia" and "Neverland" are all, I reckon, done with a proper full on bass player.

Maybe some of the bass recordings are looped, but they're still some of the damn finest basslines ever.

So it just strikes me as a bit weird... and just cos Von SAYS that she never played a note, could be just another vonnish wind-up? :D
"You've a pretty good command of English, for a vole..."
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

IIRC Von's words were "she never picked the guitar up except for the videos" -- I presume he forgot about the Top Of The Pops, Roxy and Montreaux appearances.

I think Muppet is right; just one of Andrew's little jokes.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
sultan2075
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:IIRC Von's words were "she never picked the guitar up except for the videos"
I'm actually inclined to believe this--Dominion sounds synthed to me, and the only other real contender for live bass would be Lucretia, which I could almost go either way on. Both Floods, This Corrosion, Driven Like the Snow, etc...those all sound like synth-bass to me. And if they're all synthed, why use a real one on Lucretia? Thus I tend to think that Lucretia might be doubtful as well.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.