Free Sisters Redux @ Astoria? Vote & Discussion!

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the mammoth 2006 25th Anniversary tour.

Should The Sisters do a free concert for fans @ The Astoria?

Yes ~ the sound was awful and ruined it for me
45%
No ~ the show was excellent enough overall to satisfy
20%
Yes ~ but only cos i want a free show, The Sisters do rule
35%

Total votes: 40
hellboy69
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Sorry, just playing Devil's Advocate here.

Barcelona had a "bad voice day"...

Should May 2nd be marked as a "bad mix day" with an encore performance to make the world all silver gunmetal shiny again?

Please vote & discuss :)
Gottdammerung

Yeah but can we also have an option to keep the aggro out too this time..

shower of c**t....
You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye

Hunter S. Thompson
Smallstone
Road Kill

How about none of the above?
How about - No - tough. Average show that was a bit on the quiet side with someone falling asleep on the smoke machine.

It wasn't that bad (wasn't that good either) and I doubt anyone would see a marked improvement if they came and did another one. With or without a soundcheck.
Set list wasn't to my taste but you pays your money and you take your chances. I knew the risks before I took on the job. If he wants to play x amount of new songs that have yet to be released then it's his choice. I'm sure he's aware that each time he's played London it's in smaller and smaller venues.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I think demanding a free show is probably counterproductive.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
hellboy69

markfiend wrote:I think demanding a free show is probably counterproductive.
i agree (bloody Londoners hehehe), but suggesting might be acceptable? :)
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Have not been to the show but:

Seconded!
"as we walk on the floodland"
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

hellboy69 wrote:
i agree (bloody Londoners hehehe), but suggesting might be acceptable? :)
Aye ;)

Probably not much more point though :(
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

I wasn´t in Astoria show but I was In Barcelona and my opinion is:

in Barcelona Von had his voice damage as everyone know but the mayor problem was the crowd, people wanted to hear WAKE part 2,they don´t know that the sisters don´t have a human drummer YET, they think is playback... etc........

so the sisters wil play in barcelona and the crowd will be dissapointed other time(and i can say that the people there, are really angry and can be the free gig worst that the first one!!!)

so if in London was a bad sound night(i repeat that I don´t know because i wasn´t there) they deserve a free show more than Barcelona!!!
2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao
2024: Gent- Eindhoven - Lokeren - Madrid
Gottdammerung

dtsom wrote:I wasn´t in Astoria show but I was In Barcelona and my opinion is:

in Barcelona Von had his voice damage as everyone know but the mayor problem was the crowd, people wanted to hear WAKE part 2,they don´t know that the sisters don´t have a human drummer YET, they think is playback... etc........

so the sisters wil play in barcelona and the crowd will be dissapointed other time(and i can say that the people there, are really angry and can be the free gig worst that the first one!!!)

so if in London was a bad sound night(i repeat that I don´t know because i wasn´t there) they deserve a free show more than Barcelona!!!

I think Von was more than aware of the lack of sound..

When the crowd heckled him to get it turned up he replied "I can't hear you either.."

lol
You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye

Hunter S. Thompson
Badlander
Overbomber

Nope, otherwise people might think they're entitled to demand a free gig everytime a show isn't up to their expectations.
There's no need to set a precedent. :von:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
wild bill buttock

Does it count that the last two Sisters gigs(1993&late 90's one,don't remember)also suffered from s**t sound/singer with a bad throat/heavy metal guitarists (one with a blond perm ffs).If I can go to any other Sisters gig can it be one in 1985 please.
The photographs of God I bought have almost faded away
Mickpit
Road Kill

Smallstone wrote:How about none of the above?
How about - No - tough. Average show that was a bit on the quiet side with someone falling asleep on the smoke machine.

It wasn't that bad (wasn't that good either) and I doubt anyone would see a marked improvement if they came and did another one. With or without a soundcheck.
Set list wasn't to my taste but you pays your money and you take your chances. I knew the risks before I took on the job. If he wants to play x amount of new songs that have yet to be released then it's his choice. I'm sure he's aware that each time he's played London it's in smaller and smaller venues.
"a bit on the quiet side" ?????????????????????? He was not audible during 75% of the songs. I could hear everyting except him. This is NOT acceptable in anyway or form IMO. Von singing is the only aspect of a TSOM gig you can't do without (well maybe smoke too).

I think suggesting rather than demanding is the HL way. I would also like to "suggest" an official response from TSOM ala Barcelona. Von knew/knows that it was a well below par performance (i.e. "I can't hear you either").
I'm not young enough to know everything
roonini
Road Kill

Manchester was terrible...so they'd have to do a free one there as well!!
lachert
Overbomber

yeah, sure. they should stop now and start from beginning once again. they should repeat entire tour. i tell you :lol:
long live rock'n'roll
Mickpit
Road Kill

roonini wrote:Manchester was terrible...so they'd have to do a free one there as well!!
oh, bollox.........thats torn it.
I'm not young enough to know everything
czuczu
Overbomber

I can think of loads of Sissies gigs that had similar sound but with added bonus of a truly awful performance & audience. :urff:
Sound was bad but not Earth-shatteringly so, enough of the whinging and put your begging bowls away!
UglyasSin
Road Kill

Me, I want them to re-play. I was stuck in work until 21:30 on the out skirts of London, so I didn't bleeding make it to the gig in the first place. Definitely still got the stub...
Mrs. Snowey

czuczu wrote:Sound was bad but not Earth-shatteringly so, enough of the whinging and put your begging bowls away!
From where I was standing (precariously, on the steps) I thought the concert was ok. :D

However, some of the audience left something to be desired. Pity folk can't come to see a gig without explaining to their mates how much better the one they saw last time was.

No wonder there've been complaints that the sound was poor. Probably couldn't hear it above the sound of their own chit-chat. :roll:
Gottdammerung wrote: I think Von was more than aware of the lack of sound..

When the crowd heckled him to get it turned up he replied "I can't hear you either.."
Wish I hadn't been able to hear them either :evil:

Free ticket my arse :lol:
Why do keyboards get so dirty?
_emma_
Overbomber

lachert wrote:yeah, sure. they should stop now and start from beginning once again. they should repeat entire tour. i tell you :lol:
Yes please, and I'm ready to pay for my tickets again. :lol:
markreed
Amphetamine Filth

Mrs. Snowey wrote: Pity folk can't come to see a gig without explaining to their mates how much better the one they saw last time was.

No wonder there've been complaints that the sound was poor. Probably couldn't hear it above the sound of their own chit-chat.
Pity that they could hear themselves ABOVE the band more like. I was having a coherent conversation down the front during the normally Very-Loud parts of certain songs. And, if the show had been comparable favourably overall to previous London shows, maybe people wouldn't have been saying 'The Last Time Was Better'.
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

People have always been saying the last time was better. Why? Because the gits like their idea of the Sisters and what's in their own minds much more than the Sisters themselves, or anything else that goes outside of their own minds.
But this problem isn't related to the Sisters anymore than to any other (artistic) band, artistic movie director or anyone at all who doesn't manufacture a product for their fans. When a great director makes a good movie, he immediately alienates half of his so-called fanbase, cause they only happened to like his first movie by accident (ie. it had some elements completely irrelevant to the _points_ of the first movie that made it popular in their minds, now the second movie doesn't, so people think he's turned to crap, where in fact he's doing the same thing he ever did, but because people prefer form and surface over substance they don't notice it, nor do they notice that they don't actually like what the first movie was about, either, because most probably the first movie made fun of their kind of people, their attitudes and values, in one way or the other anyway).
we've got beer and we've got fuel
iesus
Overbomber

They should also repeat their performance in Athens....
Ofcourse not in Sporting Arena and definetely with different promoters 8)
Sound was awfull and the set was too small.... :P
They must play also FALAA, This Corrosion, Body Electric, When You Don't See Me, Marian etc which they didn't play :innocent:

Sisters play for your people plz :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
bismarck

NYC was at least as bad mix-wise, I'm sure. Another gig here please.
The great questions of the day will not be
resolved by speeches and majority decisions,
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck
mh
Above the Chemist

There's been plenty of poor sounding gigs in the past, both by the Sisters and other bands. In most cases, it's down to venue acoustics and other stuff outside the bands control. Choice of venue is not always under the bands control, there's simple stuff like how many tickets they can expect to sell, what promoters they can get, and so on to be taken into account too. A lot of the time, the live engineers pull off heroic efforts to get the best they can out of the barns they have to play in. I remember seeing the Bunnymen once, and the sound was like someone slapping a wet matress off the floor. If they were all to play a freebie after a poor sound, nobody would ever make any money from touring. And if good sound is the sole criteria by which a gig is judged, we all may as well just go home and listen to the records instead :)

As I understand it, in Barcelona his voice was shot. Most other bands wouldn't even play a free one to make up for that.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
markreed
Amphetamine Filth

itnAklipse wrote:People have always been saying the last time was better. Why? Because the gits like their idea of the Sisters and what's in their own minds much more than the Sisters themselves, or anything else that goes outside of their own minds.
But this problem isn't related to the Sisters anymore than to any other (artistic) band, artistic movie director or anyone at all who doesn't manufacture a product for their fans.
I think you missed the point there. The last time I saw them was better, not because The Sisters have changed since then, but because the vocals, guitars, drums and bass were audible that time. If you're inferring that I may not like them because Ben and Robo are in the band instead of Some Other Largely Anonymous Shadows On Guitar you're woefully wrong. I've seen several lineups of the band in the past sixteen years (with Von as the only remaining member), and I couldn't care less who wields a Sisters guitar as long as they do a good job of it, which Ben and Robo clearly do.

If I - or anyone - had a problem that two guitarists who've not released a single note of original music during their time in the band leaving, then we wouldn't've bought tickets. The gig ITSELF was poor, not the lineup of Ben and Chris, or any changes to the band in the past few years.