All that's wrong with GOTH

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Wave-Gotik-Treffen (Wave Gothic Meeting)
What-The-Fcuk :lol:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

I dunno...Claire could probably give that parasol-parading panda-eye a run for her money. Sure you want to do Leeds, WW? :wink:

Where did you get that picture? That's an odd gallery name for sure...
Badlander
Overbomber

:eek:
"AFP" (bottom right) stands for "Agence France presse", which is the biggest French news agency.
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

weebleswobble wrote:Image
Compare and contrast...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
scotty
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
Compare and contrast...
But you can't compare mark, we all know the Sisters weren't GOFF :innocent: :twisted:
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
streamline
Slight Overbomber

Is it just me or does the delightful lady (on the right) look like Linda Blair from the Exorcist?

I trust you trust in me to mistrust you
Thea
Overbomber

FeckArseBats!

Where's my disco shirt? I feel an apocalypse a-comin'!
kazamel
Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:
weebleswobble wrote:Wave-Gotik-Treffen (Wave Gothic Meeting)
What-The-Fcuk
Compare and contrast...
times are a-changing markfiend
welcome to 2006, which by the way is 22 years later than 1984 8)
I like these calm little moments before the storm. It reminds me of Beethoven. Can you hear it? It's like when you put your head to the grass and you can hear the growin' and you can hear the insects.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

"The past is a different country; they do things different there"?

Fair enough I suppose, but bloody hell...

The Wave-Gotik-Treffen photo (and people of that ilk) is part of the reason for the bad press that "goth" gets IMO, and by "guilt by association" from the lazy music press, also part of the reason that The Sisters don't get the acclaim (and record deals) that they deserve.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
RobF
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Top picture: A right pair of gimps.

Second picture: A top-notch post-punk band in their germinative stages.

There really is NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FOOOOOOOKIN connection between the two culturally outside of the heads of pillocks. :evil:
"...by the time I get to Arizona..."
kazamel
Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:"The past is a different country; they do things different there"?

Fair enough I suppose, but bloody hell...
no argue about that
i'd never want to be seen like that myself :lol:
markfiend wrote:The Wave-Gotik-Treffen photo (and people of that ilk) is part of the reason for the bad press that "goth" gets IMO, and by "guilt by association" from the lazy music press, also part of the reason that The Sisters don't get the acclaim (and record deals) that they deserve.
my train of thought never arrived at that terminus i must admit. you really think one is linked to your the other?
always thought of these goths as teenage extreme examples of a music scene, nothing more nothing less. as you have moderates and extremists in every scene. cute for - as you say - lazy music press but not to be taken seriously.
I like these calm little moments before the storm. It reminds me of Beethoven. Can you hear it? It's like when you put your head to the grass and you can hear the growin' and you can hear the insects.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

kazamel wrote:my train of thought never arrived at that terminus i must admit. you really think one is linked to your the other?
Well, the Wave-Gotik-Treffen lot call themselves goths, people call the Sisters goths, there has to be a link there of sorts.

I don't know. Maybe I'm over-reacting. ;D
—Bertrand Russell
kazamel
Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:I don't know. Maybe I'm over-reacting. ;D
you can come over to my house and we'll play some Scrable if you like, just to calm down :wink: :lol:
Dark
Underneath the Rock

They look nice. I'll buy them a drink if I can borrow the guy's collar.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

kazamel wrote:you can come over to my house and we'll play some Scrable if you like, just to calm down :wink: :lol:
Play Scrabble? Is that what the kids are calling it these days? :innocent: :lol:

I've calmed down now. Sorry. Just call me Mr Grumpy ;D
Dark wrote:They look nice. I'll buy them a drink if I can borrow the guy's collar.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think they look altogether dreadful. ;) The white face / black lipstick combination is probably a bit much for my taste. (I like pale and interesting, but IMO it can be taken too far.) I find the white contacts a bit creepy, but that's probably more to do with my general fear of contact lenses anyway.

Ah bollocks, who am I to say what other people can and can't wear? It's not like I'm altogether unlikely to be dragged away by the Fashion Police myself. ;)
—Bertrand Russell
metalorange
Road Kill

I can never understand why everybody on here has this problem with goths and the sisters being labelled a goth band. There's nothing wrong with gothdom or being associated with it - and let's face it, the majority of fans of the sisters were or are into gothdom to some extent or another.

Of course, these days 'gothdom' is a wide area open to many sounds and styles, music and literature than ever before.

What I love about goth, is that it is re-discovered every year by a whole new generation of youths as if it was their own invention. Particularly at Universities, if you don't like the normal majority of everyday types listening to chart music, going goth seems like an expression of defiance and individuality, and especially against boring parents. Of course, in a way the goth look is every bit a uniform and therefore the opposite of individuality - but it is just saved by the twists each new goth brings to it. I just love how it has never died away like so many trends and shows no sign of ever doing so - it still appeals to so many so called 'outsiders' and grants them a community of friendship they would otherwise not have.

I used to be a bit of a goth and liked goth music in my youth, and though I'm not like that now I still look back at those eye-opening times fondly and part of me wishes I was back there discovering it all for the first time.

So don't be so heavy on goths!
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

The Sisters were only goth between the years 1984 and 1985.

He looks like the freakin' crow.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Well spotted Mr Stripper...fooking goth, no less. Although I wasn't around at the time (as such), it seems fairly clear that things went a bit far in 84 / 85, before then the band were clearly a sensitive metal band playing over techno drum patterns. Since the unceremonious ditching of that bird what looked pretty on the vids, they've been as goth as marshmallows. Thank fcuk.

Still (if it makes you happy), those gimps look ace. I could have a lot of fun with those two fcukers. :twisted:

Ace topic, in a roundabout sorta way.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
canon docre
Overbomber

nick the stripper wrote:The Sisters were only goth between the years 1984 and 1985.
and what would you call the lady to the left?

Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Well, my learned colleague Mr. Dave may not like her, but I call her Mistress. :twisted: :notworthy:
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

timsinister wrote:Well, my learned colleague Mr. Dave may not like her, but I call her Mistress. :twisted: :notworthy:
Who said anything about not liking her??????? It's 'okay' to like goths, indeed I keep inviting hundreds of them to stay at mine from time to time (when they can be arsed to show, Tim :wink: ).

Hi Jess, great minds think alike / similar / roughly in the same ballpark. Have you showered all that mud off yet?
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
canon docre
Overbomber

Planet Dave wrote: Hi Jess, great minds think alike / similar / roughly in the same ballpark. Have you showered all that mud off yet?
fortunately no mud involved this time. :D weather was splendid. still I have a sore throat and can hardly speak. Looks like the weather will be alright for the download too. 8)
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Planet Dave wrote:
Ace topic, in a roundabout sorta way.
Cat amongst the pigeons project 5.9

:lol:
timsinister wrote: Sure you want to do Leeds, WW? :wink:
I live in Leeds sweetpea-I'll be having a delightful guest for the weekend-sooooooo looking forward to it

Each movement will always have its factions and I personally find the whole 18th century vampire fop thing a bit much

I loved the whole goth experience, fashion police were continuosly hounding me.
I knew this would be a hot topic and it great that there has been such a wide range of opinions-that is the beauty of open forum.

Now if there are any 18th century vampire fop things coming to WiJ you'll need to get behind Big Si as he gets to stab me first :D :eek: :kiss:
Last edited by weebleswobble on 07 Jun 2006, 05:59, edited 2 times in total.
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
RobF
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

nick the stripper wrote:The Sisters were only goth between the years 1984 and 1985.

He looks like the freakin' crow.
A cool crow though, however the people at the top look like pasty-faced attention seeking goff 'tards. That's quite different. ;D They're fine at their silly bloody festival, it's when they start coming to see good bands and moaning about moshing and waving their fishnetted arms about when some of us are trying to spend as much time as possible upside-down in big piles... rant rant rant rant etc :innocent:

oops, sorry
"...by the time I get to Arizona..."
scotty
Overbomber

canon docre wrote:
and what would you call the lady to the left?

A right shag :innocent: :twisted:
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"