Heartland chat room?

For you to give feedback to the Heartland moderators. Wish lists, fault reports, etc. You may get an answer, you may not. As in all things, it largely depends on how nicely you ask the people in charge... You're welcome.
eotunun
Overbomber

Do you like the idea? I mean, not everything we write here is worthy to be conserved for Heartlands Hitstory. Especialy on General Chat, the Birthday treads, chatting about this and that- It´s fun, but it cloggs up the disc, I´d suppose. Just an Idea. I have no Idea wether or not it is possible to include such a thing in Heartlands software or not. But it might raise the fun factor when online further as you don´t have to consider what is worth starting a thread a what isn´t. Or maybe even just helpfull to keep General Chat a bit Less general...?
Just an idea of the drunken Emperor Of The UNknown UNiverse..
;D
P.S.: When I´ve gone sober again I´ll probably think this had been a topic for General Chat..
There is shadow under this red rock
Petseri
Overbomber

You put it in the correct forum, I thionk. In fact, there had been a chat rom for a while, in the beginning. It lasted several years. I am not sure exactly why it was removed, but I think that it slowed things down too much. It also listed members as being in the chatroom who no longer were online. At least it did on the few times when I entered. :?:
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Petseri wrote:You put it in the correct forum, I thionk. In fact, there had been a chat rom for a while, in the beginning. It lasted several years. I am not sure exactly why it was removed, but I think that it slowed things down too much. It also listed members as being in the chatroom who no longer were online. At least it did on the few times when I entered. :?:
It was on the bottom of the main page, wasn't it :?: Think it was a) unsuccesfull (well I never used it :lol:) and b) slowing things down indeed...
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
smiscandlon
Overbomber

Petseri wrote:It also listed members as being in the chatroom who no longer were online. At least it did on the few times when I entered. :?:
You're sure it wasn't just the online equivalent of everyone stopping talking when you walk into a room? :P
анархия
Dark
Underneath the Rock

There was one. During the hack, it was the only way we could communicate effectively.

Bring the bastard back! ;D
aims
Overbomber

Could we not just designate a channel on one of the major IRC servers and post instructions for connecting in a sticky?
Petseri
Overbomber

smiscandlon wrote:
Petseri wrote:It also listed members as being in the chatroom who no longer were online. At least it did on the few times when I entered. :?:
You're sure it wasn't just the online equivalent of everyone stopping talking when you walk into a room? :P
When writing that, I just knew that some twit would respond with your follow up. :P :notworthy:

It was more like I would leave, log out, and then log in a few hours later to see that I was still listed in the chatroom. :?:

Given a choice, I would pick a search function which can check older posts over a chat room. ;D
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

I'd love the chatroom back, but not that 'I refresh every ten seconds and I'm a bugger to look at'-chat we had in the wee beginnings of HL... :roll:

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
aims
Overbomber

IRC FTW

:von:
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

I agree with Motz. An IRC chatroom on slashnet would be easier.
Izzy HaveMercy

Petseri wrote:It was more like I would leave, log out, and then log in a few hours later to see that I was still listed in the chatroom. :?:
There are many people that found themselves on HeartLand... :von:

IZ.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:I'd love the chatroom back, but not that 'I refresh every ten seconds and I'm a bugger to look at'-chat we had in the wee beginnings of HL... :roll:
the old featured a link & summary on the front page, and really slowed down front page loading time :urff:

furthermore, it was:

a) crap - it refreshed every 2 seconds and hurt your eyes

b) crap - if you closed the chat window rather than logged out of chat preperly it thought you were still logged (something which is your fault, not the chat software's fault i might add ;))

c) under-used

d) impossible to moderate

i'm not against the idea, i just think that there arent any good free ones out there that can connect to the HL phpbb system, and that oncethe novelty had worn off you wouldnt use if half as much as you might think might ;)

if anyone can find me a free one that hooks into the HL members database then i'll try it :idea:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

I've seen 'shoutboxes' elsewhere, bottom of the page thingies you had to refresh yourself, moderatable and that didn't take too much bandwith... I don't do chatting, but I'll ask if they can tell me which one that was :D
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Izzy HaveMercy

Several options on the PHPbbhacks boards...

But I don't know which one is a good one, obviously...also I don't have a chance to test it as I dont have a PHP forum up and running... ;)

IZ.