People from Manchester

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
NoLoveLost
Road Kill

I have just moved from Berlin to Manchester and I was wondering if anyone could tell me the names of some cool places where I can find cd's and old magazines.... And also some cool places that play Joy Division..... ;D
karin
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Hmmm...Manchester..that's near Weatherfield right.?... :wink:
Lars Svensson
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

...Just left of Leeds, yeah.

:roll: 8) :innocent:
Amused to death...
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

NoLoveLost wrote:I have just moved from Berlin to Manchester and I was wondering if anyone could tell me the names of some cool places where I can find cd's and old magazines.... And also some cool places that play Joy Division..... ;D
the ritz (just down from the cornerhouse off oxford road) on a monday, and jilly's rockworld (just past the big theatre on oxford road), fridays and saturdays :)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
NoLoveLost
Road Kill

Oh, thanks Quiff Boy, I will check them out as soon as I come back next year :)
F--kwit
Road Kill

Welcome to Manchester!

For all your old vinyl and CD needs Manchester has a top selection of 2nd hand stores mostly around the Oldham St area. Vinyl Exchange has dedicated sections for Indie, Goth, Industrial, Punk etc (I'm guessing these would be what you were after) although the best Factory 2nd hand stuff can be found at Vinyl Revival round the corner. Clampdown on Newton St has some interesting rarities but is a little overpriced. Pop (in the basement of Pop Boutique) is pretty good for old punk/new wave 7 inches and has the advantage of being located inside the best (veggie) cafe in the world so you can order a fry-up and spend £30 on old recods while they cook it, like, errm, I did this morning :)

Sadly last time I was in Jillys Rockworld on a Saturday night they seemed to have dumped the "80s alternative" room in favour of some nasty skate metal type cack. The Thirsty Scholar on Sunday nights is done by the people who used to do Rockworld 80s-alt room on saturdays and is free to get in and cheap beer.

Having been in Berlin myself a couple of weeks ago (Chameleons gig at the Maria am Ostbahnhof - stunning concrete shed down a muddy path by the river with more than a passing resemblance to a nuclear bunker - most entertaining!) I'm sure you will find our weather wetter but less bloody cold! :) And we don't all have long flappy fringes and wear track suit tops all year round. Although it has to be said I do. :?
NoLoveLost
Road Kill

Hey, thanks so much F--kwit!!!! ;D

hhhmmm, nice! So when I come back I will have lots of places to go!!! I am going back to Berlin on Thursday for Christmas and indeed, there is much colder than her in Manchester! People always ask me if it isn't too cold here, then I have to tell them that Berlin is much worse! But usually it snows during Christmas, and I love snow :) so I am really glad to go back home at this time of the year!!!

I managed to pass by the Ritz today to see where it is, but the jilly's rockworld I could not find :(

How did you like Berlin F--kwit??? Apart from the cold......

I still feel a bit afraid to walk around here at night. EVERYONE told me that Manchester is a very violent city and I am used to Berlin that I can walk aroud in the streets alone at 4 am that nothing happens, so I am still very cautions regarding going out. Perhaps I am being paranoid because I do not know the place, but tell me, is what people say true?
Justj0hn
Amphetamine Filth

C**hwit says:

"Sadly last time I was in Jillys Rockworld on a Saturday night they seemed to have dumped the "80s alternative" room in favour of some nasty skate metal type cack"

Bah.....forget it then! The trip is off. Hee hee hee.

J.j.......
NoLoveLost
Road Kill

Yeah, but there's still Friday.....
F--kwit
Road Kill

I don't think manchester is any more or les violent than anywhere else, I'v lived here all my life and only got mugged once and that was on a dark street in Rusholme when I was taking a lazy short-cut. You sometimes see fights on the street after closing time on Deansgate but as that's strictly fo casuals in Ben Sherman shirts and boy-band haircuts you don't really want to be going out down there anyway! Sometimes it gets a bit rough round Piccadilly but most of the city centre is pretty well lit and well policed at night.

I was a bit scared walking round Berlin on my own though, I think it always happens when you don't know a place. I didn't get to see a lot of the city, I just arrived, went to the pub, went to the gig and left the next morning - it can get a bit like that when you're following a band on tour - but I'd defnitely like to get there again for longer, it seemed a pretty cool place. My friends were there for a bit longer and loved it.

Oh yeah, Jillys is just round the corner from the Ritz on Oxford St by the way.
zigeunerweisen
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

NoLoveLost wrote:And also some cool places that play Joy Division..... ;D
If you find any tell me about it. If i ever end up in Manchester i might try it :)
Chairman Bux
shut.the.fuck.up

Mmmmmmmmm,

People from Manchester - are generally fat, ugly, and stupid, though not always in that order...

I blame it on 30 years of Lard and Coronation Street, and not the boogie as previously believed...

Yours, as always,

Chairman Bux
CEO Buxville
buxville@myheartland.co.uk
reverberater
Amphetamine Filth

Not sure which is the best record shop as there are plenty good ones and don't be put off Rockworld coz friday ROCKS for Sisters and JD and Chameleons :wink: I spend most saturdays in there coz i can't get friday's out. Just look for tall spiked haired dude usually with a Tones on Tail T-shirt
Guided by the light and by the catholic monochrome