The Doors

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Black Shuck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth
Location: Sitting in a sleazy snack bar, sucking sickly sausage rolls

8)

Hello everyone. just arranged to go see the Doors (sorry, "Riders on the Storm") play live early next year, with Ian "Bradford's-answer-to-Jim-Morrison" Astbury on vox.

Just wondered if any Heartlanders had seen these guys live? It's a long shot, I know, but I'm already started to worry that I've I've thrown 40 quid down the loo.
Gazza for England manager
libby

I've seen them twice in '05 and I can tell you they're bloody amazing!

Ian does an excellent job in a dignified way.

I must admit, I was a bit resistant at the beginning too, but now I'm more than convinced. It's a beautiful experience to see and hear the Doors songs back alive!

Enjoy, so will I in January when they hit Antwerp 8)
Ahráyeph
Slight Overbomber

Without Densmore as well as Morrison, it's justified they call themselves Riders on the Storm because, no matter how good they might be, The Doors it ain't. I won't be going to see them, just because I think Raymond Daniel Manczarek is a prick hiding behind ancient hippy rhetoric who sells out the Doors legacy every chance he gets and lets no opportunity go to waste to rewrite it in his own vision, of which ROTS are an outgrowth. Ever read his Doors biography? If he were a Nazi apologist, he'd be behind bars for revisionism. But he is a really good musician as well, I give him that. So the gig itself I could imagine to be good. Sorry for the rant, but The Doors have always been very important to me and seeing what they stood for sold out makes me angry...
Arch Deviant
Amphetamine Filth

I've always thought it sounded like an awful idea, but I guess it must work as they have been doing it for a years now. I remember seeing an interview with Ray Manzarek a long time ago and he remarked then about a similarity beween Morrison and Astbury as performers. I remember thinking then, no,no,no. It's a bit like having The Spiders From Mars without Bowie.
Y quedo llorando, llorando, llorando, llorando por tu amor
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

After much head shaking I've decided to suspend my disbelief and go and see ROTS at the Armadillo in Glasgow.
There is still a voice in my head telling me that there are far cheaper Doors tribute acts out there. :|
At least it is two of the original members. I'm told Manzerak has still got what it takes.
I've never seen The Cult live, so I don't know what like Astbury is as a performer, but he's been on the road for almost thirty years, so I guess he's had some practice. :innocent:
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
scotty
Overbomber

Erudite wrote: I've never seen The Cult live, so I don't know what like Astbury is as a performer
He makes :von: look like a pensioner :innocent: :twisted:
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

It's just not the same without Morrison. :|
Badass
Amphetamine Filth

I saw them last week in Zurich and it was amazing. I didnt expect much but it was a nice surprise . Ian is doing a great job. He's not really trying to imitate Jim but it looks and feels very close. Also musically very good. :notworthy:
This is not revenche, this is punishment
Andie
Overbomber

Erudite wrote:I've never seen The Cult live, so I don't know what like Astbury is as a performer, but he's been on the road for almost thirty years, so I guess he's had some practice. :innocent:
and if you wanna go see...watch for a summer 2007 (June...could be winter if the weather is still so fcuked up) tour in Europe and the UK...new material too :wink:
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Burn wrote:
Erudite wrote:I've never seen The Cult live, so I don't know what like Astbury is as a performer, but he's been on the road for almost thirty years, so I guess he's had some practice. :innocent:
and if you wanna go see...watch for a summer 2007 (June...could be winter if the weather is still so fcuked up) tour in Europe and the UK...new material too :wink:
Excellent News :D
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Andie
Overbomber

weebleswobble wrote:
Burn wrote:
if they play Leeds...i may just come and show you how it's done! :twisted:
Ramone

If Ian Astbury did a gig in my back garden - I'd close the curtains and turn the t.v way up.

The man's a wanker. :evil:
"It was great that Kurt Cobain shot himself when he did..cos without that ,we'd have no Foo Fighters today" :Ramone, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever. November 2008
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Frankly, I was a little disappointed by Astbury's performance.
Technically his voice was very good, but where was the sex and the danger?
No Dionysian revelry. :|
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
Andie
Overbomber

Ramone wrote:If Ian Astbury did a gig in my back garden - I'd close the curtains and turn the t.v way up.

now i'm gonna agree with you here...and i'm a long time Cult/Death/Southern fan so to most what i do is frowned upon...but Assberry is indeed a total fuckwit with no idea of where he is in this world...

Example: when playing in Buenos Aires last year (recorded for local radio and played across the world) The Cult/Assberry is heard to say
what was Ian on about? Heard him say "f**k Margaret Thatcher!" at some stage
Remember the war between Argentina and Great Britain in 1982? (Islas Malvinas/Faulkand Islands). Thatcher was the Prime Minister back then and Ian always says this when he comes to Argentina. I think it means a lot to the people down here.
He also dedicated Fire Woman to Argentinian soccer player/star Diego Maradona and mentioned a lot of local soccer teams. Billy finished with Manchester City!
*quotes taken from Cult.us message board after broadcast*

WTF is he on? :?
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

Burn wrote:
weebleswobble wrote:
Burn wrote: and if you wanna go see...watch for a summer 2007 (June...could be winter if the weather is still so fcuked up) tour in Europe and the UK...new material too :wink:
Planet Dave, Weebles - are we there, Brother Wolves? :D
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Norman Hunter wrote:
Burn wrote:
weebleswobble wrote: Excellent News :D
Planet Dave, Weebles - are we there, Brother Wolves? :D
With F*cking Bells On Ya Mad Radge!!!!!!!!! :notworthy:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Badass
Amphetamine Filth

Burn wrote:
Ramone wrote:If Ian Astbury did a gig in my back garden - I'd close the curtains and turn the t.v way up.

now i'm gonna agree with you here...and i'm a long time Cult/Death/Southern fan so to most what i do is frowned upon...but Assberry is indeed a total fuckwit with no idea of where he is in this world...

Example: when playing in Buenos Aires last year (recorded for local radio and played across the world) The Cult/Assberry is heard to say
what was Ian on about? Heard him say "f**k Margaret Thatcher!" at some stage
Remember the war between Argentina and Great Britain in 1982? (Islas Malvinas/Faulkand Islands). Thatcher was the Prime Minister back then and Ian always says this when he comes to Argentina. I think it means a lot to the people down here.
He also dedicated Fire Woman to Argentinian soccer player/star Diego Maradona and mentioned a lot of local soccer teams. Billy finished with Manchester City!
*quotes taken from Cult.us message board after broadcast*

WTF is he on? :?
What's wrong with saying "f**k Margret Thatcher"?
This is not revenche, this is punishment
smiscandlon
Overbomber

Badass wrote:What's wrong with saying "f**k Margret Thatcher"?
It shows he has a poor taste in women?
анархия
Ahráyeph
Slight Overbomber

smiscandlon wrote:
Badass wrote:What's wrong with saying "f**k Margret Thatcher"?
It shows he has a poor taste in women?
;D;D;D;D