1995 And Nowhere

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Firstly-A Little Background For Those Who Don't Know:
in 1995 a certain gary marx who co-founded a certain industrial groove machine became annoyed/distressed/saddened at the lack of activity by his former partner andrew eldritch and for his own reasons offered to write a complete album of music for the band; onto which eldritch would simply have to graft some vocals and lyrics. eldritch was certainly interested in the idea, but started to impose his controlling ways of working onto the project to a degree which marx knew from previous experience would make it a long, drawn out and (for him) tedious task. due to the nature of their relationship marx knew that this would inevitably make it impossible to work together long enough for the album to be completed and insisted that the meetings, rehearsals and elaborate recording arrangements that eldritch was demanding were counter-productive. eldritch disagreed but asked marx to send him his ideas to listen to. marx sent a demo of the complete album (sans vocals)......and never heard any more about it. ever.
his response was to write the lyrics and sing them himself, drawing their content from the whole situation and the feelings it had dragged upabout his relationship with eldritch and the sisters. the result is "1995 and Nowhere". the album was never released.

i recently acquired a copy of "1995 And Nowhere" by Gary Marx from the man himself; being as he is a very generous and helpful geezer when it comes to his fans.
i personally loved it, and wondered what others who had heard it thought of the album, and the events which lead to it's creation; and the what-might-have-beens had it have actually become the fourth sisters album (for the benefit of people who should know better, i am not counting SGWBM and "...overbombing " as they are compilations of previously released material.)
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Badlander
Overbomber

You do realize how cruel it is of you to discuss an album that very few have heard and that is almost impossible to get ? :roll: :P :wink:

Still, thanks for the interesting story. :notworthy:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Badlander wrote: ...almost impossible to get?
Is it? I though Gary was flogging them for a tenner a pop on CD-R? He certainly was when I got mine.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
stefan moermans
Slight Overbomber

where does this guy live. I wantr a coppppppyyyyyy ;D
MUSICA È
hallucienate
Overbomber

I like it, I've had it for a while and it still gets the occasional listen but I think it sounds like the Sisters in the early 80s, not the mid 90s.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

http://www.garymarx.com

The 1995 and Nowhere album doesn't seem to be mentioned any more. ???
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

markfiend wrote:http://www.garymarx.com

he took it down from "official" sale via his website some time ago, but he has been known to be very obliging if you drop him a friendly email via info@garymarx.com ;)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
stefan moermans
Slight Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:

he took it down from "official" sale via his website some time ago, but he has been known to be very obliging if you drop him a friendly email via info@garymarx.com ;)
done, thanks :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
MUSICA È
more-sedatives-pls
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

hallucienate wrote:...but I think it sounds like the Sisters in the early 80s, not the mid 90s.
Blimey!!!!

First time I hear 'bout this ....
Immodium for the people
doctoravalanche
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Very interesting sotry indeed, can anybody share this album ?

What about the album he released, was it self-produced ???
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

I doubt that anyone would share it as it was a "proper" album so to speak.

I would do what Quiffy suggests, email Gary and ask him if he still has any copies available.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

CellThree wrote:I doubt that anyone would share it as it was a "proper" album so to speak.

I would do what Quiffy suggests, email Gary and ask him if he still has any copies available.
yep. drop him a mail...
Mothra

Have also emailed Mr Marx. What a shame this never came to fruition. And a shame for Gary to put in all the work only to get nothing back in return. Its interesting to see that even 10 years after leaving the band, he still cared enough to do this.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Mothra wrote:Have also emailed Mr Marx. What a shame this never came to fruition. And a shame for Gary to put in all the work only to get nothing back in return. Its interesting to see that even 10 years after leaving the band, he still cared enough to do this.
aye. i think that back in '95 at least, he still valued the idea of the sisters of mercy (and has gone on record as saying floodland is a very good album) - its my guess that it pained him to see something that he helped build up go to waste, or at least become seriously devalued.

also, from talking to a lot of people who were involved in the leeds scene back then, i dont think anyone who's been around andy (& the band) back has ever quite managed to shake the effect of his charisma. :von:

a lot of eldritch's longest-standing friends seem to think he's a stubborn old curmudgeon, but they still keep coming back... :lol: :notworthy:
radiojamaica
Overbomber

I bought 1995 and nowhere directly from mr Marx a couple of years ago...

Once in a while I like to listen to it, but I always wonder what could have been ... or in other words: the music is okay, but the story behind it intrigues me more.

Still very cool of Gary Marx to try to get Eldritch in an active mode...

Let's just wait & see what he has to say about available copies. If it ain't available no more, I'm sure we can all work something out to get this baby out.
in dub we trust
Badlander
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:

Thanks boss. :D :notworthy:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
michael
Road Kill

Quiff Boy wrote:

Thanks Quiff Boy :)
bushman*pm

Quiff Boy wrote:
Mothra wrote:Have also emailed Mr Marx. What a shame this never came to fruition. And a shame for Gary to put in all the work only to get nothing back in return. Its interesting to see that even 10 years after leaving the band, he still cared enough to do this.
aye. i think that back in '95 at least, he still valued the idea of the sisters of mercy (and has gone on record as saying floodland is a very good album) - its my guess that it pained him to see something that he helped build up go to waste, or at least become seriously devalued.

also, from talking to a lot of people who were involved in the leeds scene back then, i dont think anyone who's been around andy (& the band) back has ever quite managed to shake the effect of his charisma. :von:

a lot of eldritch's longest-standing friends seem to think he's a stubborn old curmudgeon, but they still keep coming back... :lol: :notworthy:
I may be going over old ground here but in a nutshell, what was the styory of GM leaving the band in the first place, as well as CA & WH?
LAND ROVER: THE BEAST FOUR BY FOUR BY FEAR! KICKS THE ARSE OFF RICEBURNERS!
Johnny Rev 7.0
Banned

(Mr Marx wrote the addresses on the jiffy bags/bubbler mailers himself, so ... from memory ...)

1. MarkFiend has the Non-Postage Stamp (I remember the scan!) limited edition jiffy bag. Apparently Mr Marx lives very close to Mark and knocked on his front door, got no response (as Mark and Kerry were at work) so shoved it through his letter box. Hand delivered by The Hand Of Marx. :notworthy:

2. I have the Gary's felt-tip ran out limited edition jiffy bag. Halfway through my address the black felt-tip pen fades to grey, then becomes invisible ... before a blue felt-tip pen takes over. :cool:

3. Someone also had the Not enough postage on the package limited edition jiffy bag, but I can't remember who. :?:

Expect to see them all on eBay in 20 years. :wink:
What a season
to be beautiful
without a reason
Big Si
School Bully

bushman*pm wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:

I may be going over old ground here but in a nutshell, what was the styory of GM leaving the band in the first place, as well as CA & WH?
A source that was very close to the band told me the story almost 2 yrs ago, the same night I met Mr Marx in person as well :eek: :notworthy: :D You could put it down to a case of "artistic differences" :wink:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
headcleaner2k
Road Kill

I can't believe that this situation is unknown by so many of you, how exciting! Don't want to rip off ol' Gary but if it's unavailable from his site, tell me the easiest way/place to put it and I'll upload asap.

http://www.garymarx.com/1995.htm
eastmidswhizzkid

Quiff Boy wrote:

that's how i got mine -i was rereading the heartland interview and the bells started ringing to say there was something i should have done that i hadn't gotten round to....very nice man that he is he ignored the starry-eyed fan-boy part of my letter and sent me what i asked for. :notworthy:
doctoravalanche wrote:Very interesting sotry indeed, can anybody share this album ?
when i asked him for a copy i promised i wouldn't distribute copies at all without his permission. mr. marx said he didn't mind me making a few copies for friends but i don't think that justifies online sharing or weeding.
if enough people want a copy perhaps they should offer to pay for it when they e-mail him and put a little back to someone who has given a lot of pleasure to us all.
(copies are copies and my has "1995 and nowhere" printed on it. :von: )

eastmidswhizzkid

headcleaner2k wrote:I can't believe that this situation is unknown by so many of you, how exciting! Don't want to rip off ol' Gary but if it's unavailable from his site, tell me the easiest way/place to put it and I'll upload asap.

mr. marx is entitlted to be in control of his own product and make/waive a fee on it. if headcleaner2k has no respect perhaps a mod could remove his post? :evil:
we do not bootleg official products (albeit unreleased) on HL, in open forum, without the artists permission. mr.marx has been very decent about letting us have free downloads and sometimes it's nice to shake the hand that feeds you. :von:

more-sedatives-pls
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

exactly

Let's first wait for what Gary has to say! He must have received quite a lot of requests by now, so chances are he'll send copies out for a reasonable price.
Immodium for the people
culprit

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
headcleaner2k wrote:I can't believe that this situation is unknown by so many of you, how exciting! Don't want to rip off ol' Gary but if it's unavailable from his site, tell me the easiest way/place to put it and I'll upload asap.

mr. marx is entitlted to be in control of his own product and make/waive a fee on it. if headcleaner2k has no respect perhaps a mod could remove his post? :evil:
we do not bootleg official products (albeit unreleased) on HL, in open forum, without the artists permission. mr.marx has been very decent about letting us have free downloads and sometimes it's nice to shake the hand that feeds you. :von:
well said, EMWK

email sent to mr. marx, awaiting any response now...
...mmmmmmmmmMMMMMM!....