Nineteen Ninety Five And Nowhere : 2nd of december 2007

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
captaino
Road Kill

Source:
http://www.d-monic.net/

Nineteen Ninety Five And Nowhere : 2nd of december 2007
Nearly 13 years after first coming into being Nineteen Ninety Five and Nowhere receives its first official release on the French independent label D-monic this Winter.
Recently completed and re-mastered the new 10 track album features songs originally written in 1995 by The Sisters of Mercy co-founder Gary Marx at the invitation of Sisters’ supremo Andrew Eldritch. The material was intended to represent the pair’s first collaboration since the landmark Sisters’ album ‘First and Last and Always’ of 1984, but the notoriously wilful singer pulled out of the project without uttering a single word.
The backing tracks went unheard until relatively recently when Marx, convinced of the material’s obvious strength, decided to finish the songs himself, writing lyrics and adding his own distinctive vocals. The response on hearing the results among the Sisters fan-base was immediate and the clamour for the tracks prompted him to make 7 of the songs available via the internet.
Despite continual pressure to make the songs more widely available Marx had refused to be drawn until the approach of the Paris based label. Now with all 10 songs included for the first time the album has been re-mastered and
re-packaged and is due for release on December 1st 2007.
Despite (or perhaps because of ) the twisted path the songs have had to walk these long years, the album works as much more than a mere taste of what might have been – it serves as ample reminder of Marx’s undoubted ability as a writer and guitarist and is essential listening for anyone who has followed his career to date or for newcomers looking for an introduction to his work.
Ania
Road Kill

This album is so... mediocre.
Personally, I have listened to it once and did not feel an urge to listen to it again...
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

Indeed!
we've got beer and we've got fuel
Mothra
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Ania wrote:This album is so... mediocre.
Personally, I have listened to it once and did not feel an urge to listen to it again...

:roll:
What use is that comment to anyone? Especially as the first reply to a post that a lot of people will be interested in. Kinda deflates the anticipation levels for those of us that have been looking forward to this release. I'll still be buying it. The majority of my favourite records took numerous listens before I started to realise how great they are.
smiscandlon
Overbomber

Mothra wrote:
Ania wrote:This album is so... mediocre.

:roll:
What use is that comment to anyone? Especially as the first reply to a post that a lot of people will be interested in. Kinda deflates the anticipation levels for those of us that have been looking forward to this release.
Maybe, but she's still entitled to express her opinion.

And any rabid Sisters fans who haven't heard this perhaps need to be warned not to expect FALAA part 2.
анархия
Mothra

Certainly, don't dispute that, its just the negativity so early on after someone posts what is essentially good news. I'm not expecting a lot, but good to (finally) hear something that was recorded with a long term view to release.

Apologies to Ania if I sniped to early :)
stefan moermans
Slight Overbomber

i'll go for it anyway ;D ;D ;D
MUSICA È
mh
Above the Chemist

Me too! :D

I don't think we should pay attention to comments about it being mediocre, unless they are qualified by saying what's mediocre about it (and also bearing in mind the commenter's own musical tastes).
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

some people are never happy :roll:

personally, i've heard the original 7 track version and think they're rather fab. the man has an ear for a tune and great pop song-writing sensibilities. always has, and it seems he always will.

can't wait.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
more-sedatives-pls
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

about :urff: :urff: time I'd say :D

i'm going for it!

Now only waiting for the revamped sisters-song he was working on! ;D

Way to go Gary!! :notworthy:
Immodium for the people
GC
Slight Overbomber

mh wrote:Me too! :D

I don't think we should pay attention to comments about it being mediocre, unless they are qualified by saying what's mediocre about it (and also bearing in mind the commenter's own musical tastes).
Musical tastes are probably The Sisters of Mercy (this is Sisters forum).
I'm glad people are honest, better to have a bad review. If's it's any good it'll be nice surprise, if it's s**t then we were warned.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Gollum's Cock wrote:Musical tastes are probably The Sisters of Mercy (this is Sisters forum).
you'd be surprised :lol:
Tidal
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Are these songs in any way connected to the original Sisters? Like, was the music partially written by Andy? or is it just a full Marx production?

I think I'd prefer the instrumental version of the album, IF I'd go and hear it.
It's good to be back
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Yeah, the 'uppity' reaction to people's opinions are becoming rather tedious on here. Freedom of speech and all that?

FALAA pt2? Christ I hope not, if anything sounded even vaguely like NTTC or Walk Away you'd just run a bloody mile!
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

as far as i know: written and played by marx (for eldritch's use as sisters songs when von was having an especially lean period) and produced by choque hosein
sultan2075
Overbomber

I've heard something like four of the original seven songs, and I quite liked them, actually. I'm eagerly awaiting this expanded edition. It's a damn sight better than anything I've ever heard from the m*****n, that's for sure....though I don't know how it stands up to the Broon album ;)

Of course, it's vastly superior to a new Sisters record because, well... it actually exists.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Syberberg

sultan2075 wrote: Of course, it's vastly superior to a new Sisters record because, well... it actually exists.
:lol: :lol: :notworthy:

Can't wait to get my hands on this. From what I've heard it looks like :von: potentially shot himself in the foot. Again. Maybe :von: really is doing his up most to get out of the trenches?
Planet Dave wrote:FALAA pt2? Christ I hope not, if anything sounded even vaguely like NTTC or Walk Away you'd just run a bloody mile!
How could it possibly be FALAA pt2 anyway? There's 3 writers missing for starters... Anyway, I agree with you Planet Dave, except for the bit about NTTC and Walk Away that is. Not the best songs on the album, but I likes 'em none-the-less.
I don't necessarily agree with everything I think.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

not only, but also:

http://www.garymarx.com/news.htm
Gary Marx wrote: Look out for news of discounts on copies for anyone who purchased the original 7 track CDR via this site.
8)
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Yay!
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Syberberg

Quiff Boy wrote:not only, but also:

Gary Marx wrote: Look out for news of discounts on copies for anyone who purchased the original 7 track CDR via this site.
8)
Top bloke, that Mr. Marx. :notworthy: :notworthy:
I don't necessarily agree with everything I think.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Syberberg wrote:

8)
Top bloke, that Mr. Marx. :notworthy: :notworthy:
Goodie! :D :notworthy:
in dub we trust
stefan moermans
Slight Overbomber

8)
now it says on the site that the 7 song record is till available, but how the hell do u order it ? :eek:

or should I just wait for the reivsed one :urff:
MUSICA È
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

on the subject of production credits, just got this from the horses mouth itself:
Still the work of Leeds' finest (ed: choque), with the slightest touch of French mastering
:)
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

stefan moermans wrote:

8)
now it says on the site that the 7 song record is till available, but how the hell do u order it ? :eek:

or should I just wait for the reivsed one :urff:
if you mean this:

"The debut album is still available direct from this web site"

i'm pretty sure he means the 'pretty black dots' album - http://www.garymarx.com/product.htm - not the 1995 one :)
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

great news! 8)
mr.marx very kindly sent me a copy of the 7-track version last christmas and i loved it. it'll be a pleasure to buy a completed edition and at the same time put some money in his pocket. i've said it before and i'll say it again: gary marx is a very nice man. :von:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat: