Women's lib has given rise to the breakdown of family life..

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Francis
Overbomber

Yesterday: Wait til your Father gets home...

Today: I don't need a man to help me bring up my children...

:?:
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
Andy TG
Overbomber

Francis wrote:Yesterday: Wait til your Father gets home...

:?:
@ Francis - Are in the mood of looking for a "Fight"? :wink:
This Is Not Ordinary S & M
This Is M & S S & M
Francis
Overbomber

Nope. Just trying to provoke some meaningful discussion.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

..."provoke" being the operative word here, n'est-ce pas? ;) :P
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Tomorrow: Designer offspring conceived in a petri dish, gestated in a test-tube, and raised in a hot-house to become perfectly obedient and loyal servants of the state.

Ok, in the interests of meaningful discussion, and because I'm too bloody annoyed to sleep right now...

It would be fatuous to argue that prior to universal adult suffrage, laws mandating equal pay for equal work, and property and inheritance rights being extended to women, family life was all springtime and roses. Check out some of Dickens' works to take a squint at the kind of life enjoyed by all but the most well-off families in 19th century England, and things weren't any rosier anywhere else. Plenty of women raised children single-handedly then, mostly not by choice it is true, but to suggest that the liberation of women is responsible for the breakdown of "family life" (whatever that hell that is) indicates a woeful understanding of the facts.

If we consider "family life" to be the concept of the traditional nuclear family - mum, dad, 2.4 children, dad works, mum stays at home and bakes - this is largely a modern (post-1945) construct. Before the war families tended to be larger units, often with multiple generations living under the same roof, more children (to compensate for infant mortality), and everyone worked because they needed the money. Family life tended to be hard, dirty, beset with illness, and littered with accounts of domestic violence. In many instances, wives stayed with abusive husbands owing to the social stigma of being a single parent and because of the lack of opportunities for women to be self-sufficient. My granny was lucky - her husband was only an alcoholic and a womaniser, but at least he didn't beat her or the children. Others were not so fortunate. Perhaps this is the idyll of family life that people who would wish a return to the days before "womens lib" would see a return to.

There has certainly been a breakdown in the cohesive nature of the family unit, but it would be difficult to ascribe this to the liberation of women. Let's take a look at some of the elements:

The contraceptive pill
Women became able to control their reproductive cycle, leading to smaller families and a concomitant increase in the health and wealth of those families.

Equal pay for equal work
Few could argue that this is a bad thing.

Universal adult suffrage
I can't find anything against this either.

The breakdown of the traditional family unit can be more readily ascribed to the nature of modern society as a whole. A general lack of moral leadership (governments tend to practice a "do as I say, not as I do" approach, rather than leading by example), a disregard for the work ethic, the widespread availability of credit, a lack of personal responsibility, and the idea that the state will provide for those too bone-idle to get off their duffs and get a job are all far greater causes for the breakdown of the family unit than a couple of bints burning their bras.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
boudicca
Sister Midnight

I'd be more inclined to blame Freud (infamous misogynist, what a pleasant coincidence) and Margaret Thatcher (infamous misogynist, you be the judge) :innocent:

Furthermore, it is quite possible to be in favour of women's lib, even to be a card-carrying Feminist, and to recognise at the same time that it is greatly preferable for a child to be raised with input from both a mother and a father.

I'd go as far as to say the view that "I don't need a man to help me bring up my children" is intinsically backward and anti-women's lib. It presupposes that a mother should not only be a child's primary care-giver, but that she can take on all parental responsibilities herself. And for some it's only a small step from "can" to "should". Women who make such statements are pretty much giving the thumbs up to the idea that males are simply on this planet to impregnate us and then go AWOL like a tomcat, leaving us to raise the offspring. It puts no obligation or responsibility on men at all, and does nothing to dismantle stereotypical roles. Want a career? Forget about it. Nothing very women's-lib about any of that.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Equal Rights For Vegetables!
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Andy TG
Overbomber

Bloody good job I dont do "KIDS" after reading those diatribes

@ Boudicca - LOVE the new avatar - very ironic :-)
This Is Not Ordinary S & M
This Is M & S S & M
scotty
Overbomber

Francis wrote:Nope. Just trying to provoke some meaningful discussion.
Good Luck
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

scotty wrote:
Francis wrote:Nope. Just trying to provoke some meaningful discussion.
Good Luck
FcukBawFannyShyte ;D
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

boudicca wrote: "I don't need a man to help me bring up my children"
Obviously she could just as well go for another woman, but that'd be taking it too far, or? :wink:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
James Blast
Banned

and... success has made a failure of our home...
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
nodubmanshouts
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Yesterday: Wait til your Father gets home...

Assuming your statement to be true, I fail to see what this has to do with Women's Lib - the vote, equal pay and generally equality.

But your statement is, of course, false, since in most cultures around the world, women are responsible for child raising despite having unequal rights to men.

In the West, people no longer feel as pressured to get married just because they made a baby, and that has more to do with a rejection of religious values, such as chastity and puresness, and that being a single parent is automatically "bad" and that a loveless marriage is better.

And that is most definitely a good thing, in nodub world.
Ahráyeph
Slight Overbomber

EvilBastard wrote:

Tomorrow: Designer offspring conceived in a petri dish, gestated in a test-tube, and raised in a hot-house to become perfectly obedient and loyal servants of the state.

Ok, in the interests of meaningful discussion, and because I'm too bloody annoyed to sleep right now...

It would be fatuous to argue that prior to universal adult suffrage, laws mandating equal pay for equal work, and property and inheritance rights being extended to women, family life was all springtime and roses. Check out some of Dickens' works to take a squint at the kind of life enjoyed by all but the most well-off families in 19th century England, and things weren't any rosier anywhere else. Plenty of women raised children single-handedly then, mostly not by choice it is true, but to suggest that the liberation of women is responsible for the breakdown of "family life" (whatever that hell that is) indicates a woeful understanding of the facts.

If we consider "family life" to be the concept of the traditional nuclear family - mum, dad, 2.4 children, dad works, mum stays at home and bakes - this is largely a modern (post-1945) construct. Before the war families tended to be larger units, often with multiple generations living under the same roof, more children (to compensate for infant mortality), and everyone worked because they needed the money. Family life tended to be hard, dirty, beset with illness, and littered with accounts of domestic violence. In many instances, wives stayed with abusive husbands owing to the social stigma of being a single parent and because of the lack of opportunities for women to be self-sufficient. My granny was lucky - her husband was only an alcoholic and a womaniser, but at least he didn't beat her or the children. Others were not so fortunate. Perhaps this is the idyll of family life that people who would wish a return to the days before "womens lib" would see a return to.

There has certainly been a breakdown in the cohesive nature of the family unit, but it would be difficult to ascribe this to the liberation of women. Let's take a look at some of the elements:

The contraceptive pill
Women became able to control their reproductive cycle, leading to smaller families and a concomitant increase in the health and wealth of those families.

Equal pay for equal work
Few could argue that this is a bad thing.

Universal adult suffrage
I can't find anything against this either.

The breakdown of the traditional family unit can be more readily ascribed to the nature of modern society as a whole. A general lack of moral leadership (governments tend to practice a "do as I say, not as I do" approach, rather than leading by example), a disregard for the work ethic, the widespread availability of credit, a lack of personal responsibility, and the idea that the state will provide for those too bone-idle to get off their duffs and get a job are all far greater causes for the breakdown of the family unit than a couple of bints burning their bras.
Amen. Nail on the head...
Francis
Overbomber

SINsister wrote:..."provoke" being the operative word here, n'est-ce pas? ;) :P
God damn you're perceptive.

And then there's the girls doing better than boys at school thing.

Not to mention the Gummi Bears generation...
James Blast
Banned

posting while pished may affect you in later life
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Francis
Overbomber

What you doing up this late? Good ta see ya!
Francis
Overbomber

My financial adivser tells me I should avoid later life anyway. :lol:
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

I'll be lucky to make it to later life. I hope to get there, anyway. :)
Francis
Overbomber

An erstwhile Norwegian colleague of mine espoused two retirement plans:

A) Head off north to live wild off beaver.

B) Head south to drown in cheap beer.

Plan B's my preferred option.
splintered thing
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

You can live off wild beaver???? :eek: :lol:
as the day is long,
rain from heaven
EvilBastard
Overbomber

splintered thing wrote:You can live off wild beaver???? :eek: :lol:
You can, but you should know it's a short but very eventful life! :lol:

Incidentally, this article p*sses all over the notion that "Women's lib has given rise to the breakdown of family life."
Hank Moody
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

EvilBastard wrote:Incidentally, this article p*sses all over the notion that "Women's lib has given rise to the breakdown of family life."
Was just thinking along those lines. If you're not happy then make yourself happy. Don't think the world owes you happiness. Don't worry about things, do something about it. It all comes down to attitude, and there are plenty of people in the England who have a sh1t attitude - men and women.

Don't forget there are decent folk aswell.
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

EvilBastard wrote:Incidentally, this article p*sses all over the notion that "Women's lib has given rise to the breakdown of family life."
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

I'd move there in a heartbeat, if I could. :von:
EvilBastard
Overbomber

SINsister wrote:
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

I'd move there in a heartbeat, if I could. :von:
Let me know when you want to move - I'd be there like a shot. Apart from the ruinous cost of alcohol it is the grooviest place I've ever been to.
Hank Moody