bloody goths

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

oh my.

i have stumbled upon a photograph of a chap at a recent "whitby goth weekend" who has hair VERY very similar to how i used to have mine circa 92-93!! :eek: :urff: ;D

how many people's eyes did i nearly "have out" at the banshee!?!? :innocent:

it's so nice now not to have to check the shipping forecast before going out... one strong westerly gust of wind and my neck could have snapped! :lol:

thank god we all grow wiser with age :lol: :roll: :innocent:

full article here: http://www.starvox.net/crypt/whitby/whitby.htm
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
hallucienate
Overbomber

holy crap
DerekR
Doobie Brother

Here's one of me from 1986 :)

(bet this doesn't work, if not cut n' paste the url)
Last edited by DerekR on 17 Apr 2003, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

DerekR wrote:Here's one of me from 1986 :)

(bet this doesn't work, if not cut n' paste the url)
nope, can't see it even if i paste it in :(

i think it might be the spaces i the filename... :?:
DerekR
Doobie Brother

try again, should have put a capital 'P' in purple :oops:

Edited to show pic for completeness sake
Last edited by DerekR on 23 Apr 2003, 18:49, edited 2 times in total.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

:o

cooo! big hair!! :D

very 1986!! makes me think of the alarm, with a hint of the cult's original bass player (whose name i forget) :)

:notworthy:
DerekR
Doobie Brother

Dyed, crimped, backcombed and sprayed to within an inch of it's life. I always wanted hair like Dave Tregunna from the Lords of the New Church. I very nearly got there :)
pikkrong
Overbomber

in '86 i was 15 years old guy who has just discovered Judas Priest and turned to a heavy metal fan :)
anyway, talking about 80s makes me still nostalgic :roll:
do i drive
or am i driven
Lars Svensson
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Quiff Boy wrote: thank god we all grow wiser with age :lol: :roll: :innocent:
Sez who?

I fear that I for one am unfortunately growing stchoopider with age...
Sadly, it ain't much fun :| :wink: :oops: :urff:
Amused to death...
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

I never made it to Whitby. I think this is probably for the best all in all :)

A few of my friends used to go, they said it was always a blast, and my friends band played in 97 (Robed In Desire). Not very many people went to see them :/
Strangely they were pretty good.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
X
Shooting Fire From The Hip

Hey we all had hair like that in the 80s
Sadly ... I had hair like that in the 70s and 90s too...
You can keep your Krishna burger's, and your Glastonbury hippie's, you can stick your frothy lager and your blow wave hair styles.
Dan
Overbomber

While were on the subject of dodgy pictures here's one of me circa 1987
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Nuff said... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
hallucienate
Overbomber

yowza
Master Margarita
Amphetamine Filth

This thread is timely. On Saturday, I saw the sisters in London. The first sisters conert I've been to since around about 1990.

The thing which depressed me more than anything else is the fact that everyone appers to take the whole dressing in black thing so seriously. Pointy shoes, ridiculous hair, face paint, leather jackets etc etc. As if it mattered- apparently, according to one chap who I asked about it, the sisters are a way of life, not a band. Oh boy.

That kind of dressing up is ok when you are 16 or 17, but not when...erm...you're in your 30s. I'm all in favour of nostalgia (or at leat in favout of the tomorrow, remember yesterday type) and even escapism but there are limits. Why can't fans just wear a normal pair of jeans and a T shirt?

Other than that, I thought the concert ok. Andy is better at hiding the fact he can't sing, the new-ish (I don't buy bootlegs, so alot of it is new to me) songs sound as if they might carry a tune, and there was enough dry ice to ensure that if he wanted Andy could take the second half of the concert off and no one would notice.
When was the last time you cut the catwalk caviar?
Ed Rhombus
Slight Overbomber

You sure that's not a comedy wig Dan?

(Says the man in the comedy hat)
Ed Rhombus

There for you (weather permiting)

www.rhombus-rock.com
https://www.facebook.com/rhombus.uk
Thea
Overbomber

**dances smugly**
i'm young and wreckless! anything i do now i can blame on my age later.
neon pink legwarmers anyone?
nearmethexperience
Sarky Git

thankfully, as far as i am aware, no photographic evidence of my 'former life' is around today, or is carefully hidden and guarded i'm quite safe today ;)

from the age of about 15/16 i spent my entire life as a stand-in for von from the lucretia video (and believe me, wearing a leather jacket and no shirt in newcastle in mid jan is something i'd rather not live through again thank you very very much).

then when the sisters stopped doing anything, i was strangely seduced by the pop kids dancing in warehouses and taking funny happy pills. so i ended up with rather short, spikey hair, which was dyed a different colour every month (bleach white, yellow, blue, green, and red, mostly) and wearing combats and a poppies t-shirt (which i still have, brixton 91 i think - the purple one with the alien with the bubbles coming out of his mouth on the front) i thought i was the bee's fawkin knees, (and according to the way kids dress today, i probably was :P).

anyway, yeah, now that's all behind me and i'm screaming towards 30 like an italian motorway driver in the fog, i tend to find jeans and a t-shirt covers most events.

i think i'd feel rather silly these days all skin and leather, but hey, that's just me, kudos to those that still can pull it off... :D
++++ All those of you who have tears, prepare to shed them now... ++++
X
Shooting Fire From The Hip

That kind of dressing up is ok when you are 16 or 17, but not when...erm...you're in your 30s. I'm all in favour of nostalgia (or at leat in favout of the tomorrow, remember yesterday type) and even escapism but there are limits. Why can't fans just wear a normal pair of jeans and a T shirt?

Sh*t ! ... I'm fast approaching 40 and still dress like ...THAT... I still have long hair, I still Dye it silly colours.
Whats that all about?
OK .... So you dont like it? Its not like I'm doing it for you.
I am fortunate that I still havent started losing my hair..Lol... That really would look stupid !
Although I'm not so far up my own ass that I think its a life style thing... I have and will continue to look the way I choose to look for as long as I see fit!
I am lucky enough to work in an enviroment that tolerates my dress and hair colour, So that has never affected my ( and I use the term loosely ) Image.
Ive looked this way, or something like this .... all my life and aint gonna change just coz someone says so.
If that was the case I would have changed when I was 15 when all my teachers told me to ... Do something with that hair boy!!!
I have had to deal with ppl that take the p*ss. I have had ppl wanna give me a kicking in the street just coz I looked different from them.
What I really dont need is someone coming here, where there is a hugely diverse array of ppl, telling me what to, and what not to wear.

I havent got a problem with what you wear... Even tho I expect it is very un imaginative, Are you just gonna get old into your cardigan, pipe and slippers? coz that aint me.

Like I said ... I aint got a problem with you, you voiced yours, I voiced mine.... So in conclusion ..........................If ya dont like it , dont do it.
If you dont like me ...... Fu*k off ... I dont care ....Lol
Now come to the Leeds gig and buy me a beer.... Ya tight ass.
You can keep your Krishna burger's, and your Glastonbury hippie's, you can stick your frothy lager and your blow wave hair styles.
Thea
Overbomber

X wrote:That kind of dressing up is ok when you are 16 or 17, but not when...erm...you're in your 30s. I'm all in favour of nostalgia (or at leat in favout of the tomorrow, remember yesterday type) and even escapism but there are limits. Why can't fans just wear a normal pair of jeans and a T shirt?

Sh*t ! ... I'm fast approaching 40 and still dress like ...THAT... I still have long hair, I still Dye it silly colours.
Whats that all about?
OK .... So you dont like it? Its not like I'm doing it for you.
I am fortunate that I still havent started losing my hair..Lol... That really would look stupid !
Although I'm not so far up my own ass that I think its a life style thing... I have and will continue to look the way I choose to look for as long as I see fit!
I am lucky enough to work in an enviroment that tolerates my dress and hair colour, So that has never affected my ( and I use the term loosely ) Image.
Ive looked this way, or something like this .... all my life and aint gonna change just coz someone says so.
If that was the case I would have changed when I was 15 when all my teachers told me to ... Do something with that hair boy!!!
I have had to deal with ppl that take the p*ss. I have had ppl wanna give me a kicking in the street just coz I looked different from them.
What I really dont need is someone coming here, where there is a hugely diverse array of ppl, telling me what to, and what not to wear.

I havent got a problem with what you wear... Even tho I expect it is very un imaginative, Are you just gonna get old into your cardigan, pipe and slippers? coz that aint me.

Like I said ... I aint got a problem with you, you voiced yours, I voiced mine.... So in conclusion ..........................If ya dont like it , dont do it.
If you dont like me ...... Fu*k off ... I dont care ....Lol
Now come to the Leeds gig and buy me a beer.... Ya tight ass.
rawk on!
when i grow up i wanna be you! :notworthy:
rian
Slight Overbomber

Dan wrote:While were on the subject of dodgy pictures here's one of me circa 1987
:eek: ;D :urff:
I think someone set my soul alight
DerekR
Doobie Brother

It's only fair I post another. Same bloke, different hair :)
...and really enthusiastic about having my photo taken!

Dimehart
Amphetamine Filth

I'm with X on this issue. Totally! I did look like a light-weight version of Robert Smith in my late teens and I still think it's funny. Nowadays I look like a mix of a hippie/rocker/fascist (imagine that people :eek: ) and it's just as funny today as it will be tomorrow. As many of you I'm right above 30 years old an think there's a lack of image among us at that age!
"Love is the empty place where loneliness is born"
pikkrong
Overbomber

DerekR wrote:It's only fair I post another. Same bloke, different hair :)
...and really enthusiastic about having my photo taken!

is there a photo?
-- i can't see more than a red cross :(
do i drive
or am i driven
Thea
Overbomber

Last edited by Thea on 02 May 2003, 00:48, edited 1 time in total.