13-year-old rape victim stoned for 'adultery' in Somaila

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7708169.stm
According to Amnesty International, nurses were sent to check during the stoning whether the victim was still alive. They removed her from the ground and declared that she was, before she was replaced so the stoning could continue.
Words fail me.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

How about this one-cnuts
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

weebleswobble wrote:How about this one-cnuts
Reckon me and you would do quite well sharing Global Presidency - you up for it?
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

I read about it too.

See, hell isnt far away at all.. only there can something like this happen
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

http://www.amnesty.org.uk/news_details.asp?NewsID=17927
Inside the stadium, militia members opened fire when some of the witnesses to the killing attempted to save her life, and shot dead a boy who was a bystander. An al-Shabab spokeperson was later reported to have apologized for the death of the child, and said the milita member would be punished.
A cruel irony that they apologise for the bystander's death...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
DeWinter
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

It's also ironic that a 13 year old called Aisha was one of the Prophet Mohammed's brides.

Sadly, and I do mean sadly, nothing surprises me that comes out of Africa, or is done in the name of the "Religion of Peace". For whatever reason, both seem stuck in the Middle Ages.
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

DeWinter wrote:For whatever reason, both seem stuck in the Middle Ages.
Ain't that the truth.
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Silence is platinum wrote:See, hell isnt far away at all.. only there can something like this happen
This is hell.
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

People mistreat everything that crosses their path in all ways possible - and this is because they are in pain themselves. i'm not sure, though, why the misfortune of a 13-year old girl would be more significant than someone else's.

These kinds of news are used to try to tell people that things are so well here in the west. i'm sorry, but the way people live here is to me just as horrible and violent and unnecessary as that girl's death. And nothing in this world that happens is entirely unnecessary.

Only people who don't realize this are those who are so numb that they've lost 99,9% of their soul (no one ever loses the whole of their soul), which might be the majority. Good news is, that anyone, and that means you also my dear reader, can redeem their soul in an instant of their own choosing.

Sadly, and i do mean sadly, nothing surprises me that comes out of civilized european countries these days...

i just don't think middle ages were any worse than modern age is. All that seems to have been real improvements are merely optical. Sure, people might not be put to death as much or there might be less violence, but perhaps violence was a lesser evil for those people than what the average westerner has to endure these days as his life.

Still waiting for a society like that of ancient Rome to emerge... some day.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
DeWinter

I think you might be confusing Ancient Rome with Ancient Greece. A new Hellenistic ideal might be interesting, a new sprawling empire based on conquest and slave exploitation won't be much fun for the majority..
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

itnAklipse wrote:gibberish
:|
James Blast
Banned

itnAklipse wrote:Sadly, and i do mean sadly, nothing surprises me that comes out of civilized european countries these days...
itnAklipse in a previous life wrote:God, i love life. And i love everything.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
nowayjose

DeWinter wrote: Sadly, and I do mean sadly, nothing surprises me that comes out of Africa, or is done in the name of the "Religion of Peace".
I'm no friend of Islam at all (or of any other religion) but I've read that stoning a 13-years old is illegal even under Sharia law, so I wonder what excuse these ignorants really have.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

itnAklipse wrote:i just don't think middle ages were any worse than modern age is. All that seems to have been real improvements are merely optical.
Smallpox
Typhoid
Typhus
Cholera
Polio

And agree with nowayjose, you can't pin this on Islam,
—Bertrand Russell
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

markfiend wrote: And agree with nowayjose, you can't pin this on Islam,
Very few atrocities can actually be pinned on religions but rather on the people who use religion (usually contradicting their chosen faith's basic principles) for their own ends.

Don't blame religion, blame people.
Last edited by stufarq on 08 Nov 2008, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

I blame Thatcher
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

stufarq wrote:Don't blame religion, blame people.
:notworthy:
—Bertrand Russell
nowayjose

Or blame the people who invented religions...
25men
Road Kill

nowayjose wrote:
Do something about it or blame yourself, don't be a fukcing arse!!
nowayjose

25men wrote:
nowayjose wrote:
Do something about it or blame yourself, don't be a fukcing arse!!
Like, for example?

Nonviolent solutions preferred.
James Blast
Banned

Not one person has mentioned faith.
I like the Pete Townsend line "faith in something bigger" so I've lived my life that way, since the mid 70s

he did write:
"faith in something bigger
faith inside us all"

but then, he'd never driven to Motherwell for 18 years, WTF does he ken!
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Proof positive, if it were needed, that people = shit.
While I know many great individuals, as soon as you start grouping people together into religions, corporations, political parties and nations basic humanity seems to fly out of the window.
As a species, we never ever seem to learn.
Various crusades, two world wars and the holocaust and collectively we've still not learned any tolerance.

Worst of all, the mob lives inside every one of us, waiting for an unguarded moment.

Hands up anyone who has never laughed at a sexist or racist joke, who has never once felt a moment of hatred or anger towards someone based on their appearance or opinions.
Just because your conscience or some sense of inner morality kept it locked up doesn't mean it isn't lurking there.
As long as we keep it inside we can say we're better than those that would stone a thirteen year old rape victim to death, but don't be so certain you're different.

This this back, it seems I might have some anger issues this morning. :wink:
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

weebleswobble wrote:I blame Thatcher
Good call.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

James Blast wrote:Not one person has mentioned faith.
stufarq wrote: Very few atrocities can actually be pinned on religions but rather on the people who use religion (usually contradicting their chosen faith's basic principles) for their own ends.
8)
nowayjose wrote:
I think you missed the point of my post.
nowayjose

stufarq wrote: I think you missed the point of my post.
No, I just don't agree with your conclusion.