Nov. 24 Vancouver show

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the 2008/2009 Sisters tour, including the Autumn/Winter 2008 U.S. and European 2009 legs.
Kurbythegreat
Amphetamine Filth

After reading all the reviews of the previous shows, I wasn't exactly sure what to expect. All I could compare to was the 2006 performance (the only other Sisters gig I've been to). Which I was very happy with.

Some people will probably say that the show wasn't great, for example a few of the small group of friends I went with. But I was in awe. For me, a Sisters show is akin to a religious experience.

I will say this, the sound started off pretty bad. Andrew's vocals were barely audible.. After a few people hollered "louder!", Andrew matter of factly directed them to "stand in front of what we call speakers" and informed them that "whatever I say, It doesn't f**king matter."

Throughout the performance he was very animate, stark contrast from his show here two years ago.
We were up front off to the right, and when the second song, Ribbons kicked in, his vocals improved enough that I was satisfied.

The immense wall of fog present in '06 was absent which was nice, affording everyone clear views of the band throughout the majority of the evening.
A particular highlight for me was of Andrew growling out the lyrics of Ribbons while directly behind a pulsing halo of red. Stunning.

The current reworkings of the songs were fabulous, and we were treated to On the Wire and Neverland which were omitted in '06.

Unfortunately Something Fast was cut short about 6 seconds in when The crowd chatter (which was utterly horrible and extremely annoying most of the night) caused Andrew to ask the "dudes and dudettes" to quiet down as he couldn't hear himself think. He asked if we wanted something quiet or something live and promptly switched gears into Vision thing, thereby turning an expected four song double encore into a three song single.
One particular omission was Suzanne, which I really wanted to hear.
Nevertheless, hearing the classics as well as the "new" material was awesome. I especially enjoyed the reworking of Marian and Train/Det. Blvd.

I don't remember the full setlist. Apologies, and also no photos or sound will be forthcoming. I lack the equipment.

As for merchandise, Of course, I bought one of each...
I would like to extend a special thank you to the kind gentleman at the merchandise booth who went back to the tour bus to get me a beanie (I suspect that I was the only one) when I found out that they weren't selling any that night.

All in all, an awesome show!!
I wouldn't have missed it for the world!!

:D :D :D :D :D
"We left you sleeping. Now we are sleeping with you. Don't wake up."
Husek
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

A Single question;
Floorshow or Amphetamine Logic?
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
DancingtheGhost
Road Kill

@Kurbythegreat....nice to hear a positive review! Happy you had a good time!
I bled all I can, I won't bleed no more
Kurbythegreat
Amphetamine Filth

To answer your question Husek: It was Floorshow. And it was awesome!

As an addendum, we noticed Andrew milling around the venue before the opening act came up on stage. we weren't sure if it was him or not, as he seemed a lot shorter in person. Made eye contact a couple of times and thought about approaching him as he was seated at the bar, perhaps an autograph?
But, like I said, wasn't sure it was him...until he ducked away backstage confirming our suspicions. :roll:
Oh well, I'm a dummy....
"We left you sleeping. Now we are sleeping with you. Don't wake up."
lachert
Overbomber

no suzanne? :eek: :eek:
long live rock'n'roll
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Nice review! :D
"as we walk on the floodland"
aims
Overbomber

lachert wrote:no suzanne? :eek: :eek:
This! :eek:
Buelbringer
Road Kill

Kurbythegreat wrote:...until he ducked away backstage confirming our suspicions. :roll:
Oh well, I'm a dummy....
What a pity, that sounds very close and like a one time chance. Thanks for your review.
Sexkontakt in http://www.datewelt.info/sex-kontakte/ Württemberg sofort und ohne Umwege mit geilen Hobbyhuren genießen. Melde dich jetzt kostenfrei an.
Husek

Motz wrote:
Maybe suzanne it's put out of the setlist for introduce the new-song ( Next! :innocent: ?)
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
aims
Overbomber

Husek wrote:
Motz wrote:
Maybe suzanne it's put out of the setlist for introduce the new-song ( Next! :innocent: ?)
At risk of being ripped limb from limb, I'd actually rather they dropped ToL.
mh
Above the Chemist

Motz wrote:
Husek wrote:
Motz wrote: This! :eek:
At risk of being ripped limb from limb, I'd actually rather they dropped ToL.
no ripping apart here...
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
KhensU
Road Kill

Hi All,

First time poster ;)

I went to the Vancouver show with a buddy of mine who had been at the 2006 show. He said it was much better this time. I quite enjoyed it. Although a long time fan, this was my first time seeing them (through the fog) live. I now feel complete. :)
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

Well KhensU, welcome aboard. Thank for your info.

That goatee you wear is coming back in style. Someday. Someday.
guns & cars & accidents
10-E Rabid
Amphetamine Filth

Yes a crazy show indeed and it is good to see Von shedding all that mystery and coming out to prove the freaks wrong. This is rock'n'roll at it's best. Unfortunatly I can't say too much about the opening act and I don't even remember their name. They were good but I think the vocals were a bit much. Like some Evanesence influence but whatever. Just a teaser to make the Sisters fans dribble and s**t their shorts waitng for the real floorshow(the last ideal) to begin. It was a shame not having Susanne in the setlist but what's anyone got to complain about. The Sisters delivered and kicked ass. I think it could have been louder but those drum machines seem to be limited in how loud they can go which lowers everything else. Nonetheless, utterly bastard groovy!!! I'm still shaking too. I feel complete too. After over fifteen years of being a dedicated Sisters fan I finally got to see them live and 5 feet away from me. yiipee!!!
"Go forth and become a happy cabbage"
Qarly
Road Kill

The opener was The Vincent Black Shadow who are a very fine group of people, though I can't say much for their set that night...

I also sadly do not remember the full set list. I do remember that it was not much different than the Seattle set list, except that We Are the Same Suzanne was omitted and replaced with Never Land which I was sad about, because I couldn't properly enjoy it the previous night due to some person who seemed to be having a problem shutting up and not touching me.

At any rate, it was well worth the 11 hour bus ride into Seattle, the 4 hour bus ride back into Vancouver. Which is a lot of bus.

I was suspicious of ever bald man there, but I did indeed see Andrew doing whateversuchathing around the hall before the show, but I also didn't approach him haha. I'm not sure what I would have said, anyway.
"Since my earliest childhood a barb of sorrow has lodged in my heart. As long as it stays I am ironic
-- if it is pulled out I shall die."
lachert
Overbomber

first shocker setlist at last :lol: :wink:
long live rock'n'roll
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

Qarly wrote: At any rate, it was well worth the 11 hour bus ride into Seattle, the 4 hour bus ride back into Vancouver. Which is a lot of bus.

I
Wow.... 15 hours of bussing would bring me to Syria, probably.
guns & cars & accidents
sziamiau
Slight Overbomber

nah. just to budapest.

anyhow thanks for the reviews this time it is great to hear the enthusiastic first timers :notworthy:
Ghostrider
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

dinky daisy wrote:
Qarly wrote: At any rate, it was well worth the 11 hour bus ride into Seattle, the 4 hour bus ride back into Vancouver. Which is a lot of bus.

I
Wow.... 15 hours of bussing would bring me to Syria, probably.
within the 15 hour bus range, that would make half the european gigs available for me..lol.. unfortunately it's the impossible dream..
i don't sleep, so i don't dream, so i don't wake up frightened...
everything is what it seems, if you look hard enough tonight and see...
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

Qarly wrote:I couldn't properly enjoy it the previous night due to some person who seemed to be having a problem shutting up and not touching me.
Yeah, he tried to yank me off the barricade a couple of times. I only shoved him away the first time, but I smashed his hand good when he grabbed me by the shoulder the second time :evil:

I tried catching the security guy's eye earlier, but he'd always have backed off by the time the guard noticed.

At least he finally got himself ejected - wish it had been sooner, though :(
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
Qarly
Road Kill

15 hours of bus brought me all the way to insane. I was also harassed by a Canadian customs officer because I didn't fill out my stupid declaration properly, which was mildly annoying.

And if he'd been removed the first time security came over I'd have been a happy person. Apparently he was making rude/sexual comments towards me which I did not hear, thankfully.
"Since my earliest childhood a barb of sorrow has lodged in my heart. As long as it stays I am ironic
-- if it is pulled out I shall die."
Brad

Pics from Vancouver are available for your leisure at www.thesistersofmercy.ca
A.void
Road Kill

Kurbythegreat wrote:Made eye contact a couple of times
what no :von: ?
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

A.void wrote:
Kurbythegreat wrote:Made eye contact a couple of times
what no :von: ?
Heh. I suspect that translates as "Assuming his eyes weren't closed or rolled up into his heard at the time, he appeared to be looking right at me".

It almost feels like eye contact...especially if repeated :wink:
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim