Herr Doktor - TR808 Emulator

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Edski
Road Kill

Hi folks,
Came across this website which lets you emulate the good old Doktor in his '83-'84 years as a TR808/909.

http://www.hobnox.com/index.1056.de.html

Has anybody ever come across, acquired or worked out the programming parameters to get those authentic early rhythms? I've just about got Louie Louie/Ghostrider sorted but the rest are impressively elusive!
Brace
Road Kill

Now, why would you want that sound? :) It's simply that way because they couldn't make it any better, not because they were looking for that "sweet spot". :)
It was just a matter of technological limitations, and if they could, they would have made it better. :)
"I had many sobering thoughts in my days too.....
........they've made me start drinking in the first place." Grandad
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Brace wrote:Now, why would you want that sound? :) It's simply that way because they couldn't make it any better, not because they were looking for that "sweet spot". :)
It was just a matter of technological limitations, and if they could, they would have made it better. :)
Not a fan of chip music, I take it... ;) :lol:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Edski
Road Kill

Hiya Brace!

The pounding minimalist sounds of the Doktor and Craig's thundering bass lines are what got me into the Sisters back in '81. The raw sound of those early singles and the gigs up to Black October are [for me] what the Sisters were about. It's amazing what they could do inspite of [or because of] the limitations...

I can just about play the bass lines so now I want to do the drum beats as well!
Edski
Road Kill

SINsister wrote:
Brace wrote:Now, why would you want that sound? :) It's simply that way because they couldn't make it any better, not because they were looking for that "sweet spot". :)
Not a fan of chip music, I take it... ;) :lol:

:lol: To be honest - after the Leeds gig last week with pre-recorded Doktor AND bass [hmmmmm, and I'm not sure how much of the guitar was played live either :innocent:] if you're not a fan of "chip music" - what ARE we still listening to the Sisters for?
eotunun
Overbomber

As one can get the samples of 808 or 909 sounds for just about every freeware drumcomputre software I wonder what practical use there is in a flash player one. A nice toy, maybe.
I still think Hydrogen beats all others with its capabillities (The windows version doesn't really work on my pooter, though.. :| ). Just google for "Software drumcomputer freeware" or similar, and pick from the load of downloadable free things you get offered.
Hammerhead is worth mentioning, it's a very old and tiny bit of software ideal for exercising an a (very) little bit more.
There is shadow under this red rock
aims
Overbomber

Edski wrote::lol: To be honest - after the Leeds gig last week with pre-recorded Doktor AND bass [hmmmmm, and I'm not sure how much of the guitar was played live either :innocent:] if you're not a fan of "chip music" - what ARE we still listening to the Sisters for?
FWIW, I think the Doktor is still as live as he ever was. That or the Nurse has a really cushy job just pressing "play" at the start of each song...
Edski
Road Kill

eotunun wrote:As one can get the samples of 808 or 909 sounds for just about every freeware drumcomputre software I wonder what practical use there is in a flash player one. A nice toy, maybe.
I still think Hydrogen beats all others with its capabillities (The windows version doesn't really work on my pooter, though.. :| ). Just google for "Software drumcomputer freeware" or similar, and pick from the load of downloadable free things you get offered.
Hammerhead is worth mentioning, it's a very old and tiny bit of software ideal for exercising an a (very) little bit more.
Thanks eotunun - I'll check them out.

My interest [OK OK, I'm a nerd :oops: ] is the way they got what they did out of the 808, how long the patterns were, and how much "hands on" was actually required by Claire during the gigs with fill-ins etc. Also I want to understand the actual physical process involved in Von programming an 808. The flash player one actually has the "dangerous red button" and you can see how easy it is to press it by... accident. :innocent:
nigel d
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

propeller heads "rebirth" is free and downloadable from the propeller heads website303 808 and 909

http://www.rebirthmuseum.com/

all is explained there.
apparently its the dogs dodahs
i am more likely to release an album before the sisters
Gripper
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

As Peely once said after playing Walk Away, "Rum Tum Tum with The Sisters of Mercy"
My car's faster than your mum, but not as dirty.
Edski
Road Kill

nigel d wrote:propeller heads "rebirth" is free and downloadable from the propeller heads website303 808 and 909

http://www.rebirthmuseum.com/

all is explained there.
apparently its the dogs dodahs
Many thanks. Vuze is doing the do and down'ing it at the moment. Looks like a fine way to pass 6 months garden leave :D
nigel d
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

when downloaded, remember it is an ISO file.
You will need ISO BUSTER or something similar to "mount" it in a virtual cd drive, otherwise it will only run with a cd in a drive. mounting makes for a quicker response as the iso image resides on the hard drive i only had a quick play on this but looks very promising.

next purchase is the use audio plugiator asx hardware for my controller board.
i am more likely to release an album before the sisters
eotunun
Overbomber

Or, if it has to be Rebirth, check for second hand originals on ebay. I bought the original for 5€ shortly after the Euro was introduced. I'm not a fan of that thingy, I must say. I admit, I didn't really have anything to do with it and only just had my first PC back then. I maybe should give tweaking it a closer look. But Rebirth was mainly used for techno stuff and thus the sounds it has on board are of that kind as well.
..not much use for making music, hm? :P ;D :innocent:
As said, there are tons of free audiosoftwares out there, and many of them are interesting.
There is shadow under this red rock
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

thanks for that -a nice litle toy with the 303's as well.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat: