Did the Sisters inspire Weird Al Yankovic?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Toaster Mantis
Road Kill

Seriously, listen to the Weird Al song Dare to be Stupid... the main riff is exactly the same as in Temple of Love.
Suleiman
Amphetamine Filth

Sounds like the silly season is in full swing.

(Listening to Breaking Into Cars by the Raveonettes.)
davedecay
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I think Michael Jackson's Smooth Criminal video inspired Dominion and Andrew's white outfit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WjOn5TNjBM
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

davedecay wrote:I think Michael Jackson's Smooth Criminal video inspired Dominion and Andrew's white outfit.

Try singing the guitar riff from Dominion over Smooth Criminal. Fits perfectly.
Toaster Mantis
Road Kill

davedecay wrote:I think Michael Jackson's Smooth Criminal video inspired Dominion and Andrew's white outfit.

It says "the video is not available in your country due to copyright restrictions"? :|
Suleiman wrote:Sounds like the silly season is in full swing.
I'm not kidding, listen to the original '82 version of Temple of Love and Dare to be Stupid back-to-back. Weird since that song's nominally a Devo pastiche, though I think that if Weird Al was to parody the Sisters he'd more likely decide to mock the Floodland era... :lol:
Suleiman
Amphetamine Filth

OK Toaster, both songs start with an E chord then move to D. Temple then moves to A minor, whereas the Weird Al song goes back to E and then to D a few times before moving to A. The arpeggio is the same on E and D, but I don't think either could take the other to court over that.

The silly season is traditionally a period over the summer where not much real news is published (as opposed to actually happening) so the papers resort to stories about kittens and ketchup.

So while we are waiting for the next one to arrive, does anyone know what happened to Leeds Underground or Paris Riots?
Rise891
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I recall a Paris Riots track and contract being sold on Ebay
I am NOT in the cool club
James Blast
Banned

Suleiman wrote:OK Toaster, both songs start with an E chord then move to D. Temple then moves to A minor, whereas the Weird Al song goes back to E and then to D a few times before moving to A. The arpeggio is the same on E and D, but I don't think either could take the other to court over that.

The silly season is traditionally a period over the summer where not much real news is published (as opposed to actually happening) so the papers resort to stories about kittens and ketchup.
Wise words mate! :D :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Toaster Mantis
Road Kill

Suleiman wrote:OK Toaster, both songs start with an E chord then move to D. Temple then moves to A minor, whereas the Weird Al song goes back to E and then to D a few times before moving to A. The arpeggio is the same on E and D, but I don't think either could take the other to court over that.
I stand corrected. :|
Oh yeah, here in Denmark we call it "cucumber time" only that instead of kittens and ketchup the papers print stories about celebrity gossip and the paranormal. Basically, every one of them turns into the local equivalent of The National Enquirer. :lol:
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

So while we are waiting for the next one to arrive, does anyone know what happened to Leeds Underground or Paris Riots?
A bit harsh, surely? There is a similarity in the opening riff and Toaster didn't say anything about court cases.
Toaster Mantis
Road Kill

I said "exactly the same" which I admit is a bit of an exaggeration even if the riffs are similar.
Suleiman
Amphetamine Filth

"cucumber time"

That's a good one, care to elaborate?
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

We, the Dutchmen, call it cucumber time as well.[/i]
guns & cars & accidents
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

we, man from pole, also call it cucamber time/season.
Suleiman
Amphetamine Filth

Interesting.

I can only guess as to the origin of that phrase.

'Cucumber Time' sounds like it could be a Weird Al song.
Caravaggio
Road Kill

There have been better plans
But none that I could ever understand...
sultan2075
Overbomber

Yowza. I see what you mean.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Suleiman
Amphetamine Filth

Blah!

check out the first 30 sec.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHTNgJftbLA

This is turning into riff numerology.

You will be hearing bits of 'Temple Of Love' everywhere now.
Caravaggio
Road Kill

Suleiman wrote:
You will be hearing bits of 'Temple Of Love' everywhere now.
That's what I'm doing, since I know this song... :wink:
There have been better plans
But none that I could ever understand...
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

NOW i know where I know We Are The Same, Suzanne from!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I05HHk0zGUw
guns & cars & accidents
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Didn't someone do an English language version of that?
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Back in time
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

dinky daisy wrote:NOW i know where I know We Are The Same, Suzanne from!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I05HHk0zGUw
No, No, No, Please NO.
Hopefully this cruel joke :D will not stay as an image in my brain everytime I listen to We are the same, Suzanne.
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the reaper man.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Listen to some of the more cruel versions of Susanne and you will surely forget it soon ... :roll:
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

d'you mean 2009 live version od this song ?
Casar
Road Kill

How about "is your love strong enough" by bryan ferry vs "under the gun"
They share the same line to begin with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECa_OSZD_Nw