Drug law argument. Here we go again...

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

From Auntie Beeb:
Top doctor Sir Ian Gilmore calls for drugs law review

Decriminalising drug use could drastically reduce crime and improve health, the outgoing president of the Royal College of Physicians has said.
Heartening stuff for those of us who agree that prohibition has failed, but...
A spokesperson for the Home Office said: "Drugs such as heroin, cocaine and cannabis are extremely harmful and can cause misery to communities across the country.

"The government does not believe that decriminalisation is the right approach. Our priorities are clear; we want to reduce drug use, crack down on drug-related crime and disorder and help addicts come off drugs for good."
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
DeWinter
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Please tell me these aren't the same experts who told us 24 hour opening times would lead to more moderate drinking habits..

To be honest, I'm not a big believer in the notion of "addiction" anyway, and my sympathy for drug-users is near non-existant. I'd have thought looking at the raggedy-arse long term users would be enough to put most sensible people off ever touching the damn stuff.
"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood.."
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

DeWinter wrote:Please tell me these aren't the same experts who told us 24 hour opening times would lead to more moderate drinking habits..

To be honest, I'm not a big believer in the notion of "addiction" anyway, and my sympathy for drug-users is near non-existant. I'd have thought looking at the raggedy-arse long term users would be enough to put most sensible people off ever touching the damn stuff.
agreed on all the above.

raggedy-arse :lol: :notworthy:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The point being: The current "war on drugs" (more accurately "war on some drugs") is a complete and abject failure. About the only success it has is in driving up the price of illegal drugs.

Most drug users are recreational users, not "addicts", and are perfectly capable of holding down jobs; your "raggedy-arse long term users" are the exception, not the rule.

The problem users are the ones committing the crime to feed their habit (~50% of crime according to some figures). Legalisation would deal with this at a stroke: legal (medical) diamorphine costs about 1% of the price of street H and is far less dangerous. Cheap government heroin would put all the dealers out of business. There'd be a vast reduction of street-crime and burglary. No more smack-heads dying because they got stronger drugs than they were expecting. No more innocent bystanders hurt in turf-wars.

Every country that has tried the decriminalisation or legalisation route has experienced a downturn in the numbers of addicts, the wider use of drugs, and of the related crime.

But the UK government (and pro-prohibitionists) are happier with the status quo. 99% of illegal drug imports reach the streets unhindered by the "war on drugs". Billions of taxpayers' money are wasted in enforcement of unenforceable laws.

Same quote again:
The government does not believe that decriminalisation is the right approach. Our priorities are clear; we want to reduce drug use, crack down on drug-related crime and disorder and help addicts come off drugs for good.
One definition of insanity is "to do the same thing and expect a different result". By this definition, current drug policy is insane.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
czuczu
Overbomber

I don't think there's any chance of any party in power doing anything to decriminalise any drugs - no matter how strong the arguments in favour of decriminalisation are.

But, on a side note, if all the dealers were put out of business, what would the organised large-scale dealers move onto?
DeWinter

Heh, I got "raggedy-arse" from watching "Rob Roy". It just seemed a great insult!
markfiend wrote: You don't drink then?
My grandfather died of liver cirrhosis at 55. I remember being taken in to the hospital to say "goodbye" to him in the hospital at about 12. Wasn't a pretty sight, although looking back, I'm glad I went. You really think alcohol likely to play a part in my life after that?

markfiend wrote:Most drug users are recreational users, not "addicts", and are perfectly capable of holding down jobs; your "raggedy-arse long term users" are the exception, not the rule.
The problem users are the ones committing the crime to feed their habit (~50% of crime according to some figures). Legalisation would deal with this at a stroke: legal (medical) diamorphine costs about 1% of the price of street H and is far less dangerous. Cheap government heroin would put all the dealers out of business. There'd be a vast reduction of street-crime and burglary. No more smack-heads dying because they got stronger drugs than they were expecting. No more innocent bystanders hurt in turf-wars.
I could walk down Sc**thorpe high street and pick out at least a dozen any hour, any day, of these exceptions. There might be a recreational cocaine/cannabis user, but I reserve my right to disbelieve in a recreational heroin user, and that's the drug that's causing problems here in poor towns. The movement for legalisation comes from the professional middle-class who will not be living anywhere near these dispensing clinics, or the current areas rife with drug use. Largely coke/cannabis users. I'm sorry if I don't think their wish to destroy their septums and appreciate Eddie Grant on a higher musical level doesn't seem to me worth what those of us living on less exalted plains will deal with afterwards.
You'll end up with cheaper more lethal, more addictive versions of any drug appearing within weeks. I don't see how it'd be any different than the black market in cigarettes, and HMRC are pretty useless at controlling that, even! So there'll still be deaths. It'll change nothing really. Addicts will still run out of money and assault, burgle to pay for it, never mind the cost of caring for their rapidly disintegrating mental and physical health.
markfiend wrote:Every country that has tried the decriminalisation or legalisation route has experienced a downturn in the numbers of addicts, the wider use of drugs, and of the related crime.
Well, that's not strictly the case. China ended up with almost half the population addicted to opium at one point, I recall.The Netherlands claim it's increased drug use, addiction, and crime. They then started looking at tightening their laws up. Portugal had the opposite effect, a drop in use and crime. Again, like the drinking laws, different cultures will react different ways. Judging by the response to looser drinking laws, which learned authorities claimed would lead to less public drunkeness remember, we would more likely go down the Netherlands route.
markfiend wrote:But the UK government (and pro-prohibitionists) are happier with the status quo. 99% of illegal drug imports reach the streets unhindered by the "war on drugs". Billions of taxpayers' money are wasted in enforcement of unenforceable laws.
I'm not happy with the status quo at all. I live in an area with a large number of drug addicts, as I think I've made clear. I'd just stop treating them like victims. They're self-indulgent parasites with no will power. I've heard of prostitutes being forcibly addicted to drugs to control them, but anyone else made their choice. And it's a choice.
Last edited by DeWinter on 17 Aug 2010, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.
DeWinter

czuczu wrote:I don't think there's any chance of any party in power doing anything to decriminalise any drugs - no matter how strong the arguments in favour of decriminalisation are.

But, on a side note, if all the dealers were put out of business, what would the organised large-scale dealers move onto?
Lower cost/stronger versions of the same drugs. Cigarettes are legal, but theres a massive black market in stronger, cheaper ones, largely imported from Eastern Europe.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

DeWinter wrote:
markfiend wrote: You don't drink then?
My grandfather died of liver cirrhosis at 55. I remember being taken in to the hospital to say "goodbye" to him in the hospital at about 12. Wasn't a pretty sight, although looking back, I'm glad I went. You really think alcohol likely to play a part in my life after that?
OK, fair enough. To be fair I did remove that part from my post as being overly snarky.
DeWinter wrote:I could walk down Sc**thorpe high street and pick out at least a dozen any hour, any day, of these exceptions. There might be a recreational cocaine/cannabis user, but I reserve my right to disbelieve in a recreational heroin user, and that's the drug that's causing problems here in poor towns.
And it's precisely these problems that legalisation would solve. The current authoritarian approach is achieving nothing, and in fact exacerbating the problem. Send a pothead to prison for 6 months for growing a few plants and he comes out a hardened smackhead needing to fund a £400-a-week habit. Can we spell counter-productive, boys and girls?
DeWinter wrote:The movement for legalisation comes from the professional middle-class who will not be living anywhere near these dispensing clinics, or the current areas rife with drug use. Largely coke/cannabis users. I'm sorry if I don't think their wish to destroy their septums and appreciate Eddie Grant on a higher musical level doesn't seem to me worth what those of us living on less exalted plains will deal with afterwards.
I'm sorry but you can only pull the working-class-area inverse-snobbery gambit so often you know. Dismissing my argument like this is argumentum ad hominem -- saying that it's middle-class people making the anti-prohibition argument doesn't actually give any logical support to your point.
DeWinter wrote:You'll end up with cheaper more lethal, more addictive versions of any drug appearing within weeks. I don't see how it'd be any different than the black market in cigarettes, and HMRC are pretty useless at controlling that, even! So there'll still be deaths.
Because the government drugs can undercut the black-market ones. The amount of heroin a user buys for a tenner these days would cost the government a few pence. Even with an outrageous mark-up the government can afford to undercut the black market by quite a margin.
DeWinter wrote: The Netherlands claim it's increased drug use, addiction, and crime. They then started looking at tightening their laws up.
Correction: right-wing politicians claim it's increased drug use.
DeWinter wrote:Judging by the response to looser drinking laws, which learned authorities claimed would lead to less public drunkeness remember, we would more likely go down the Netherlands route.
Red herring. Remember that the drugs are already out there. Between 30 and 40 percent of the p!ssed-up wankers ruining your Saturday night are already pilled-up or coked-up as it is, I fail to see that legalisation can make this state of affairs any worse.
DeWinter wrote:I'm not happy with the status quo at all. I live in an area with a large number of drug addicts, as I think I've made clear. I'd just stop treating them like victims.
Most people in prison are there because of drugs. Yes they're f*cking victims. Victims of an unjust unwinnable "war" on drugs.
DeWinter wrote:They're self-indulgent parasites with no will power. I've heard of prostitutes being forcibly addicted to drugs to control them, but anyone else made their choice. And it's a choice.
Your authoritarian streak is showing again.
—Bertrand Russell
DeWinter

markfiend wrote: And it's precisely these problems that legalisation would solve. The current authoritarian approach is achieving nothing, and in fact exacerbating the problem. Send a pothead to prison for 6 months for growing a few plants and he comes out a hardened smackhead needing to fund a £400-a-week habit. Can we spell counter-productive, boys and girls?
Because drugs are deliberately turned a blind eye to in prisons in order to keep the inmates quiet. Apparantly they're easier to get than on the street. If your pothead becomes a smackhead with easier available drugs, doesn't that prove my point, rather than yours?

markfiend wrote:I'm sorry but you can only pull the working-class-area inverse-snobbery gambit so often you know. Dismissing my argument like this is argumentum ad hominem -- saying that it's middle-class people making the anti-prohibition argument doesn't actually give any logical support to your point.
I don't say they're wrong because of their class. I say they're in a position where they won't have to deal with the ill effects. Place a few more methadone clinics, drop-in centres,and re-house a few addicts in suburban areas, and see if they still support it. It's easy to support something when you'd only reap the benefits. It is never the people living in an area with a large amounts of addicts who call for repeal of drug laws, and you might want to ask why that is? You can't blame everything on The Sun and Rupert Murdoch.
markfiend wrote:Because the government drugs can undercut the black-market ones. The amount of heroin a user buys for a tenner these days would cost the government a few pence. Even with an outrageous mark-up the government can afford to undercut the black market by quite a margin.
I'm not quite sure what you're suggesting, NHS rationed drugs (Which I think already exists in a small way, but I wouldn't swear to it.) which would be unaffordable, or a Government monopoly on drugs, like the Scandinavians do alcohol? Considering admin costs always seem to be twice as much for anything Government related than private enterprise (because Government wouldn't dare try and pay poverty wages, I suppose!),and the logistics of harvesting, growing, to whichever Afghan/Pakistani/Turk you're buying it off, I'm not convinced it'll be cheap. But I don't know, you might be right on that one. It won't stop the stronger versions that'll come out though. And oddly, stronger versions always seem to.

markfiend wrote: Red herring. Remember that the drugs are already out there. Between 30 and 40 percent of the p!ssed-up wankers ruining your Saturday night are already pilled-up or coked-up as it is, I fail to see that legalisation can make this state of affairs any worse./i]

You're saying decriminalisation will make it better though.

markfiend wrote:Most people in prison are there because of drugs. Yes they're f*cking victims. Victims of an unjust unwinnable "war" on drugs.

markfiend wrote:The poor ickle heffalumps!! Don't bloody take them then! They're not beneficial to you in any way shape or form. Do you remember Peter Cook making fun of Liz Taylor's weight gain and saying "It's terrible when your glands force food down your throat.."? Same principle. They took them by choice, knowing the effects, and everyone knows the effects. Rather than stop, which they could,they committed crimes to fund it. Why should I sympathise? I'm not a latter-day Puritan, do what you like, UNTIL it affects me.
I prefer to call it my "Take responsibility for your own daft decisions and stop being whiny bitches" streak..
DeWinter

Curiously, my partner worked for years in a recovery programme for elderly drug addicts/alcoholics as a nurse, so she saw pretty much the worse cases you can imagine. Working their triggered her bipolar disorder.
She's passionately in favour of harm-reduction and decriminalisation. We've agreed to never discuss this topic, as it gets us both too angry at each other!! :lol:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

DeWinter wrote:Curiously, my partner worked for years in a recovery programme for elderly drug addicts/alcoholics as a nurse, so she saw pretty much the worse cases you can imagine. Working their triggered her bipolar disorder.
She's passionately in favour of harm-reduction and decriminalisation. We've agreed to never discuss this topic, as it gets us both too angry at each other!! :lol:
:lol: Fair enough

I don't think either of us will ever convince the other... but neither of us can stop because we both think that...

—Bertrand Russell
DeWinter

:lol:

That's what the gf was like when she saw me pacing back and forth in front of the laptop! "Are you arguing on the internet AGAIN??!". She's forbidden me from commenting on the Guardian website!
originalgoth

I spent 2 years in California (Humboldt County - Where pot is a big industry & legal).

I don't use drugs, condone them or condem them, they're there & that's it as far as I'm concerned but what I will say is that from experience, where I was in Cali, Eureka, anyone could grow their own pot. If you lived within the city limits you were limited to 25 plants but if you lived outside the city linits you could grow up to 99 plants. You just needed to get a doctor to certify that it was for medicinal purposes & away you go.

During my time in Eureka I can safely say that there wasn't a drug related crime problem.

All the people I know there who smoke pot don't do any other drugs so as far as I know, there isn't a heroin problem there or cocaine. Probably the only other drug people use would be speed but I didn't know anyone who was using speed.

Pot is so widely accepted in Cali, people from all walks of life smoke it to one degree or another, from the guy down the road to college professors & everyone in between.

Just my 2 peneth worth.
And I ride down the Highway 101
By the side of the ocean, headed for Sunset

Black Planet according to originalGoth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hYeYgNIntQ
SadBast
Road Kill

I heard an interesting rumour recently that US government agencies have infiltrated some major drugs cartels to divert funds from drug smuggling into government coffers. I have no idea how true this might be or how to attempt to verify it other than to note how determined certain sectors of the US authorities are to stop legalisation.

ps - I handwashed my new Sisters 2010 T-shirt yesterday. Despite all BBC predictions of good drying weather I had to run out and bring it in off the line three (3) times due to localised showers placed precisely over the T-shirt in my garden. I finally gave up and, after allowing one more day with it hanging over the bath, I shall summon up all my powers and attempt ironing.
originalgoth

SadBast wrote:I heard an interesting rumour recently that US government agencies have infiltrated some major drugs cartels to divert funds from drug smuggling into government coffers.
Certainly with California debt being so big, some politicians were talking publicaly about looking into ways of taxing pot growers to help repay the state debts. From my very very limited knowledge of big growers I would imagine that they would make quite a hefty sum in tax if they follow that plan through.
And I ride down the Highway 101
By the side of the ocean, headed for Sunset

Black Planet according to originalGoth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hYeYgNIntQ
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

so Meer Cat you found the solution for your country, way to pull it back on Top of the Top country in the world- like it was on great industrial era - product the drugs. well that is reasonable if you can't made decent cars (Tatuar are nowadays great looking well made and according to others review also great for drive, same as Audtley) why not be a great drug makers.
i always find one simple problem with your thinking and i got one question: are you strong government - strong country idea supporter ?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Bartek wrote:i always find one simple problem with your thinking and i got one question: are you strong government - strong country idea supporter ?
Only one problem? ;D

It's a difficult question actually. In general no, with some reservations.
—Bertrand Russell
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Well one but big. You're Meerkat so i can't have to much problem with You.

So if you answered "no" ( "with some reservation", we have to keep that in mind when You'll read next part of this comment) i always found you very pro dictatorship man ( i know that sounds like biggest insult).

Ok, if you use this kind of thinking we ( You- rest of us) were at least taking about some serious issues, but nevertheless you seems to like when government deal all the problem. You find the solutions but country should take responsible for everyone and lead them by their hands, resolve their problem - even when some of its, like drug problem, are caused by them self. It's only me but i like to believe that people are not blind sheep - despite that what i can read and see - so i believe that country should only not throw obstacles and not steal our money to "help people in need". And don't get me wrong i myself did and do quite a lot to help others but, maybe because of that, i see how many really need help and how many are lazy, stupid bastards who believe that they have to have everything for free.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

???

If you think I'm pro-dictatorship...

OK I won't take it as an insult, it's probably my fault for not explaining myself well. I think the present problems stem from too much government intervention.

In my opinion the fall-out from the drug-war (sink estates, crime-rates, and so on -- the sort of problems DeWinter sees in his area and seems to think I'm blind to because I'm a "professional middle-class coke/cannabis user" ;)) stems from prohibition, not from the drugs themselves. If they said "it's your body, you do what you like to it" the problems would largely vanish.

(Incidentally, in my prison-as-a-microcosm idea above, the problem is one of economics. Dealers make more money from heroin, whereas the (relatively) smaller profits inherent in the cannabis trade aren't worth the risks when it comes to smuggling drugs into a prison. It may be easier to get H in prison than outside, but from what I understand it's basically H or nothing.)

My point is that government action has failed and they are wasting billions of our tax pounds (and killing people) in a futile quest to be seen to be "tough on crime". It's actually doing more harm than good to carry on this way.

Another point: while I've never seen much merit in the "gateway drug" idea, when pot is illegal, you're driving pot-heads into the hands of criminals when they want to score.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

markfiend wrote:In my opinion the fall-out from the drug-war (sink estates, crime-rates, and so on -- the sort of problems DeWinter sees in his area and seems to think I'm blind to because I'm a "professional middle-class coke/cannabis user" ;)) stems from prohibition, not from the drugs themselves. If they said "it's your body, you do what you like to it" the problems would largely vanish.
i think you'd actually get a lot more experimentation and eventual addiction. those kinds of habitats & environments exist because of a complex combination of social, economic & cultural factors. if you gave the millions if disaffected, bored & stupid young people (kids & young adults) access to class a's without them having to go digging around the underbelly of society anymore, they're just going to bomb out on the hard stuff earlier.

gross generalisations & simplifications aside, i really do believe people are pretty f**king stupid and will naturally be drawn to things that destroy themselves. whether they are legal or not.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Quiff Boy wrote:i think you'd actually get a lot more experimentation and eventual addiction. those kinds of habitats & environments exist because of a complex combination of social, economic & cultural factors. if you gave the millions if disaffected, bored & stupid young people (kids & young adults) access to class a's without them having to go digging around the underbelly of society anymore, they're just going to bomb out on the hard stuff earlier.

gross generalisations & simplifications aside, i really do believe people are pretty f**king stupid and will naturally be drawn to things that destroy themselves. whether they are legal or not.
Yeah, but so what? Addiction in and of itself is not necessarily a problem. As a society we tolerate a pretty large proportion of our population being addicted to nicotine. Admittedly there are attendant health impacts, but the government takes about twice as much in tobacco tax as it spends on the NHS treating smokers.

Given cheap, clean heroin (maybe on the NHS?) the social problems surrounding the drug-war (the crime etc.) would IMO disappear. I know of a NHS doctor who self-proscribes medical heroin on a recreational basis (and has been doing so for more than 20 years) and he is perfectly capable of carrying on in medical practice.

The problem with your stereotypical smack-head is that funding the addiction through crime becomes a full-time job which necessitates the user "dropping out" of normal society. Remove that necessity with cheap, legal heroin, (and remove the legal stigma of "convicted junky" etc.) and your users can hold down a full-time job and pay for their habit out of their wages.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

markfiend wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:i think you'd actually get a lot more experimentation and eventual addiction. those kinds of habitats & environments exist because of a complex combination of social, economic & cultural factors. if you gave the millions if disaffected, bored & stupid young people (kids & young adults) access to class a's without them having to go digging around the underbelly of society anymore, they're just going to bomb out on the hard stuff earlier.

Yeah, but so what? Addiction in and of itself is not necessarily a problem. As a society we tolerate a pretty large proportion of our population being addicted to nicotine. Admittedly there are attendant health impacts, but the government takes about twice as much in tobacco tax as it spends on the NHS treating smokers.

Given cheap, clean heroin (maybe on the NHS?) the social problems surrounding the drug-war (the crime etc.) would IMO disappear. I know of a NHS doctor who self-proscribes medical heroin on a recreational basis (and has been doing so for more than 20 years) and he is perfectly capable of carrying on in medical practice.

The problem with your stereotypical smack-head is that funding the addiction through crime becomes a full-time job which necessitates the user "dropping out" of normal society. Remove that necessity with cheap, legal heroin, (and remove the legal stigma of "convicted junky" etc.) and your users can hold down a full-time job and pay for their habit out of their wages.
are you proposing we re-introducing opium dens? :D
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Quiff Boy wrote:are you proposing we re-introducing opium dens? :D
:lol: no, but I'm not necessarily opposed.
—Bertrand Russell
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

Although I, for the most part, agree with Mark I think his blanket legalisation isn't the way forward.

I think a better system of control and classification is needed. The fact that both E and H are class A tells people that they are both equally dangerous - but the fact is E is likely to do you much less damage (physically and financially!) then a night of heavy drinking, whereas H will suck your life away.

I'd make many substances easier to get hold of legally and in a controlled, government regulated environment and accompany it with the appropriate education.

I'd then use the credibility earned from this system based on facts and scientific frankness to highlight why some things are considered too dangerous for legalisation ("hey kids, why take insanely dangerous Crystal Meth when he's some nice clean medical grade Speed that'll do a similar job but won't screw you up completely...").

I probably wouldn't legalise Herion if I'm honest, but I'd make the entire system of drugs classification more graded and believable - rather than "all drugs are evil".
Nationalise the f**king lot.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Maisey wrote:I think a better system of control and classification is needed. The fact that both E and H are class A tells people that they are both equally dangerous - but the fact is E is likely to do you much less damage (physically and financially!) then a night of heavy drinking, whereas H will suck your life away.
Yeah actually good point.
A spokesperson for the Home Office wrote:Drugs such as heroin, cocaine and cannabis are extremely harmful and can cause misery to communities across the country.
Classifying weed in with H and coke like this -- well, it shows that the spokesman in question doesn't have a clue. When the government is blatantly lying like this, it can have the "boy who cries wolf" effect. Why should our youth believe anything they are told by "the government" when they know that they're being lied to?

When a sizeable minority of the population (30-40%?) is breaking the drug laws with impunity on a regular basis, they see quite clearly that "the law is a ass". Enforcement is an utter failure, and this can only lead to enforcement agencies (and worse, other government agencies like the education and health systems) being viewed with contempt by a large part of society.
—Bertrand Russell