Currently Geeking - Does size matter?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
James Blast
Banned

Okay it's gonna be a Mac PB, no alternatives (even remotely) considered but...

I have my Big Fukk Aff 27" iMac so do I need a 15" PB?
The 13" looks like it might be a better (if cheaper) solution.
I want something I can sorta throw about and pack with me on the move.
Sure bigger is better when watching movies but this'll just be a big iPod tOuch for me.
No, I'm not convinced by the Pad <Beavis+Butthead mode on> Pad... heheheh... heheheh... heh, he said pad <mode off> I want something that replicates my desktop but in manbag size.

so, peeps I'd like recommends from those in both camps

thankee in advance, hell even you peecee morons can pitch in :lol:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

i use a 13" macbook pro for work (so 8+ hours a day).

'tis a thing of great beauty and very handy for slinging into your bag and buggering off to a meeting (or whatever) with, with minimum fuss.

i have a 15" macbook pro at home too (my own personal one) but tbh i think the 13" is more practical.

if you want big, 17" is probably better than a 15" which is a bit of a half way house tbh.

(although i do find the 17" to be a bit overwhelming, and the build can feel slightly wobble due to the size /width ratio :| :lol:)

otherwise the 13" is very neat and very practical - especially if you're looking at it as a second mac, or an on-the-go mac...
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

i should also point out that me and jo also have ipads

she uses hers as her primary computer - she rarely touches her 12 month old dell laptop anymore :lol:

she uses it for reading, games, interweb browsing, emails, shopping etc - everything really.

i use mine at home, mainly for reading (kindle app init), games, and general interweb pissing about. my ipad usage does not really fit with being on the go - the only things i need a "computer" for when i'm out and about mean i need a laptop (for specific software, usually) :)
James Blast
Banned

dig.

We had a 17" in my old job (Gawd I love saying that) and apart from its price it wasn't what I wanted from a laptop that was going to be my second Mac. Still it was a joy when we had to use it over the badly config.d HP Windows XPs bollix we were forced to use that are still breaking down and fecking up jobs even tho' I'm gone. ;D
The Boss wrote:the 13" is very neat and very practical - especially if you're looking at it as a second mac, or an on-the-go mac...
Wise words! :D 8)
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

am perfectly happy with my 15".
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
James Blast
Banned

show aff!
~ Peter Steele
sultan2075
Overbomber

I'm writing my dissertation on a 15" MBP, which means I spend 8-12 (or more) hours a day in front of it. My wife has a 13" Macbook that I have had to use once or twice. I find it far too small and confining, for what it's worth. I like to have lots of different windows open as well, so the added screen real-estate makes a big difference.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
James Blast
Banned

interesting but... you don't have a Big Fukk Aff! like I do :lol:

yes, I'm showing off

it's not often I can, pls allow me my moment in the sun :(
~ Peter Steele
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

13" is perfect, especially if you're only using it as a secondary I think. And why not go for an MBA instead :D Don't go for a 17", that's a laptop for people who'd rather have a desktop, 15" is debatable if you insist :lol:

I've got a 13" at home, my work computer is something like 24" w/ secondary 15" screen and still somehow the Mac seems to feel like it has the roomier screen.
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
James Blast
Banned

Wise words Oh my Brother! :D

except for MBA, WTF is thems?
~ Peter Steele
Debaser
Overbomber

I always say 'If yer gonna have one, 'ave a big un'
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

James Blast wrote:Wise words Oh my Brother! :D

except for MBA, WTF is thems?
macbook air, i think :D
James Blast
Banned

oh no no no no
~ Peter Steele
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

James Blast wrote:oh no no no no
I knew that'd be the reply :wink: They're thing of beauty though :D I'm in serious doubt about my next Mac, will it be a 13" MBA or MBP!
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Airs are only feasible as a second mac. They're missing a lot of hardware features you'd need for regular use... DVD drive, several USB/fw ports etc

They're "on the road" computers really...

Having said that, with the ssd hard drives they are stupidly fast ;D
James Blast
Banned

Obviousman wrote:
James Blast wrote:oh no no no no
I knew that'd be the reply :wink: They're thing of beauty though :D I'm in serious doubt about my next Mac, will it be a 13" MBA or MBP!
we've had discussions before about how things are better the heavier they are, why this change of heart now :|

:lol:
~ Peter Steele
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

This is why James :wink:
Quiff Boy wrote:Having said that, with the ssd hard drives they are stupidly fast ;D
Though apparently the next refresh of the MBP is rumoured to be more SSD focussed?
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Debaser
Overbomber

James Blast wrote: we've had discussions before about how things are better the heavier they are,
Don't be telling Gaz that!
James Blast
Banned

Gaz is obviously my soul mate, I need 'big speaks' wiff him

sort it bint
~ Peter Steele
Doktor Gott
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Currently fapping off (in the metaphorical sense) to this peng phone!!

I give you the finger but you want the whole hand...
------------------------------------------------------

http://www.pbase.com/gottdammerung/galleries
Debaser
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:
sort it bint
:eek: good job you're not in arms length. I'd have karate chopped yer windpipe in half. That's even worse than the 'c' word :(