Shudder

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Black Shuck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth
Location: Sitting in a sleazy snack bar, sucking sickly sausage rolls

choosing me fave ever gig got me thinking - what's the most embarassing gig you ever went to? Everyone must have seen at least one really cheesy pop band in their youth - Big Fun, Five Star, someone like that

I saw East 17 live, in about '92, just before they became famous (it's a long story)

And I very nearly went to see Bucks Fizz (!) back in the early eighties, but I couldn't make it. Me sister went, she says they rocked!!!?
Gazza for England manager
Black Dahlia
Elegantly Wasted

*whispers* ....... "Let Loose" !! with two gay friends okay, okay we all fancied the lead singer :oops: :oops: :oops:

oh and God awful metal band "WrathChild" (who inspired one of the Sun's "Ban this filth!" campaigns after they sprayed the girls at the gig in whipped cream. )They were F***ing terrible and I was only there as my then boyfriend was in the support band.
Hell is other people
hallucienate
Overbomber

This might p*ss some people off:
The m*****n 27.04.2000 Cape Town

Venue was a school hall, less than 300 people in the audience. Craig was falling down drunk, and got strangled by an irate neighbour. No drummer and the PA was dodgy too.

Wayne did try, but the whole experience was horribly underwhelming.
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

To be honest I don't think I've ever been to a gig and been embarrassed about it later on. I could never be arsed going to see bands until I was 17, by which time any cringeworthy tastes in music had been thoroughly exorcised (my first gig was the mighty Fields Of The Nephilim! 8) )
I have seen quite a few crap bands however, mainly at festivals, and the support on the last Sisters UK tour (Ocean Size) springs to mind! :lol:
Padstar
Utterly Bastard Smurph

Dont know if anyone will even have any idea who im talking about with this band but....

Tyger Tailz - Bradford queens hall.

They were a welsh glam band.. (kinda Poison'ish), and it was actually a fantastic gig!

Saw Ugly Kid Jo in bradford too.... they were actiually excellent live too!

Paddy.
Still playing guitar - sometimes weird shaped ones.
Serendipityhaven
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

:D the mighty rock gods from sheffield-Def Leppard. :notworthy: in nottingham(ish).

was supposed to be "in the round",turned out to be more like "in the semi circle".was 14,first ever gig,first time let off the parent-leash.
thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience,then got lost and missed the coach back.
not exactly embarrassing,but that era of metal is considered generally,nowadays to be the height of musical bad taste and cheese(something to do with the mullets and poodle perms perhaps?)
oh for the days of yore......on the other hand,maybe not.lol.
You know you're something special,
And you look like you're the best
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

Serendipityhaven wrote::D the mighty rock gods from sheffield-Def Leppard. :notworthy: in nottingham(ish).

was supposed to be "in the round",turned out to be more like "in the semi circle".was 14,first ever gig,first time let off the parent-leash.
thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience,then got lost and missed the coach back.
not exactly embarrassing,but that era of metal is considered generally,nowadays to be the height of musical bad taste and cheese(something to do with the mullets and poodle perms perhaps?)
oh for the days of yore......on the other hand,maybe not.lol.
LMAO LMAO LMAO :eek: :eek: :eek:

You will just s**t your pants..I've seen the Leps twice since last September. I actually had fun...Some men do age gracefully, like Phil, what biceps. But really..why the hell are british men so damn short?

Now I am gonna duck so I don't take too much of your abuse!!!

:oops:
Serendipityhaven

:lol: OMG!!twice too.
tell you what put an end to my worship of the mighty leps-it was that tune they released as first single i think for the album which came after Hysteria(which was studio genius,hats off to mutt lange).single was called something along the lines of-"do you wanna get rocked?" or some such cringeworthy american friendly kitsch :P .
how did that chorus go again...."lets get,lets get,lets get,lets get...rocked"a la stadium style.
pretty much anything pre that is still counted as credible and from the heart(not the wallet/bank balance).
personally i always preferred Joe.was the tallest of them all,and in a world where us 6 footers stick out like a goth in laura ashleys,ive always leaned towards someone at least who could look me in the eyes.
wasnt the one armed drummer once accused by his wife of beating her regularly or something?
sure ive stil got some early fan club magazines and pics( :oops: ) in a dusty box somewhere.
You know you're something special,
And you look like you're the best
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

:wink: :wink:

Yes Rick was accused of that. I always wonder how he managed, what with only one arm. Joe used to be hot...hot... hot!!! he's not aged well, looks like crap now, but can sing still. Let's Get Rocked is a bit...over the top,, but not so much as one called Make Love Like a Man...that's just pure male chauvenist pig slop. I prefer their heavier stuff...and sap that I am the love songs.

:D
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

When I was about ten or eleven, we all trooped off to see Jean Michel Jarre at the Docklands in London (I was one of the 50,000 people who gatecrashed). Yes, it was crap, yes, he was French, but yes, the laser show was pretty, and I had one of those funny flourescent pipes filled with extremely toxic yellow liquid. This was my first concert. It was to be a few years yet before I went to a PROPER one.
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

Mine is yet to come. :oops:

Made the mistake of making a rash promise to 10 year old daughter on the assumption that Wembley would be sold out. It was. Phew!

Then they announced a new gig in MY HOME TOWN! (Bastards!) :evil:

September 7th, Peterborough Embankment ....

BLUE! Supported by LIBERTY X!

I am so, so sorry fellow Heartlanders. Forgive me. :cry:
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
nearmethexperience
Sarky Git

soupdragons (i think, it was all kinda hazy, i'm free was the one song they had, i think, supported by, i think, teenage fanclub, while still in indie mode)...

anyway, yeah, the riverside, sold out, full of baggy trousered, floppy hatted morons, and me in full 'von circa lucretia video' finest...

oh how we laughed ;)
++++ All those of you who have tears, prepare to shed them now... ++++
khepri II

nearmethexperience wrote:soupdragons (i think, it was all kinda hazy, i'm free was the one song they had, i think, supported by, i think, teenage fanclub, while still in indie mode)...

anyway, yeah, the riverside, sold out, full of baggy trousered, floppy hatted morons, and me in full 'von circa lucretia video' finest...

oh how we laughed ;)
actually saw the Soupdragons very early on and they rocked. Never quite worked out who they transformed into the pile of pants that i presume you saw so quickly :(

your mrs is cute btw, pity you aren't in the picture too, instead of that idiot sitting next to her :wink:
Andy TG
Overbomber

Black Shuk wrote:choosing me fave ever gig got me thinking - what's the most embarassing gig you ever went to? Everyone must have seen at least one really cheesy pop band in their youth - Big Fun, Five Star, someone like that

I saw East 17 live, in about '92, just before they became famous (it's a long story)

And I very nearly went to see Bucks Fizz (!) back in the early eighties, but I couldn't make it. Me sister went, she says they rocked!!!?
On the mention of Bucks Fizz - I saw Bucks Fizz at the Barry Island Pleasure Park - think Butlins on Welfare about 7 years ago- I think - and they did indeed "RAWK" - The Guy from DOLLAR (Mirror Mirror!) - replaced the guy who who was hit by a bus!

BTW A dire "Rocky Horror" stage *cough* Tribute was playing next door - its was ironic that 'I' knew the Time Warp better than the staff!
This Is Not Ordinary S & M
This Is M & S S & M
Andy TG
Overbomber

Scardwel wrote:To be honest I don't think I've ever been to a gig and been embarrassed about it later on. I could never be arsed going to see bands until I was 17, by which time any cringeworthy tastes in music had been thoroughly exorcised (my first gig was the mighty Fields Of The Nephilim! 8) )
I have seen quite a few crap bands however, mainly at festivals, and the support on the last Sisters UK tour (Ocean Size) springs to mind! :lol:
@ Scardwel - Would your "First Gig" be around September 1988? - My first gig was also The Nephilim at Cardiff University on September 22 1988
I could not hear for almost 3 days !
This Is M & S S & M
Andy TG
Overbomber

OK A story from my, somewhat, sordid past -

In August of 92 I was employed as a litter picker and cleaner at Cardiff Arms Park when Bryan Adams was playing - along with Extreme (No More Words / Get The Funk Out). You may remember Adams had a Very Big Hit with "Everything I Do I Do For You" at this time.

As it turned out I did such good job that I was asked, along with a mate of mine - to control all cleaning and litter control BACKSTAGE at the Michael Jackson gig a few weeks later!

Backstage was great - free food, diet pepsi, a major PA/Lighting production - its was Very interesting !

On the day of the gig - the stage had taken 7 days to complete - I was given Acess All Areas backstage - Kriss Kross were playing - Rozalla was due to play - she cancelled - SO it fell to me and my mate to clear her gear from the stage - in frony of 55,000 people - that was fun

Jacko was very very good - Much better than I was expecting - but then again - the sound guys tested the Full PA with ACDC's "Back In Black" - ;-)
This Is M & S S & M
Dan
Overbomber

AndyTheGoth wrote: @ Scardwel - Would your "First Gig" be around September 1988? - My first gig was also The Nephilim at Cardiff University on September 22 1988
I could not hear for almost 3 days !
I saw the Nephs at Leeds Uni 28.4.87, none of us had heard of them at the time, they were supporting Zodiac Mindwarp.

As to embarrassing gigs, none that I'm too embarrassed to mention, so here goes - Bananarama-Birmingham NEC 22.5.89 & Sheffield City Hall 23.5.89, Kylie Minogue-Birmingham NEC 18.4.90, Britney Spears-Manchester Evening News Arena 14.10.00 & 18.11.00.

Some people feel like they have to rigidly stick to one genre of music. I don't.

I once knew someone who had an absolutely HUGE collection of goth cd's, including many unspeakably appalling 3rd rate Nephilim soundalikes. Now *that's* something I'd be embarrassed to admit to owning.
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

I just remembered, about fifteen years ago I saw Christmas with the Wurzels in Northampton. My mum arranged it, I'd never heard of them. The embarrassing part is, I quite enjoyed it.
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

MrChris wrote:I just remembered, about fifteen years ago I saw Christmas with the Wurzels in Northampton. My mum arranged it, I'd never heard of them. The embarrassing part is, I quite enjoyed it.
Don't. One of my supervisors at work is obsessed with the Wurzels. he keeps threatening to play a couple of albums to us. And Land Rovers. He's one of these off-road people. Everytime he talks about it I think of the Fast Show. "Let's Off-Road!"

I hate my work.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Thea
Overbomber

OI! leave tigertailz alone! they rock!

my most embarrasing....

my mother took me to see meatloaf.
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Gabrielle + backing tape and some Racism Beat it Festival in Amsterdam. Baaaad. Kelis as support act to U2 was pretty cringeworthy too.
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

d00mw0lf wrote:OI! leave tigertailz alone! they rock!

my most embarrasing....

my mother took me to see meatloaf.
Were you embarrassed cos your mum was with your, or was Meatloaf that bad? I always thought he was pretty talented. Bat out Hell era that is .
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Karst wrote:Gabrielle + backing tape and some Racism Beat it Festival in Amsterdam. Baaaad. Kelis as support act to U2 was pretty cringeworthy too.
ahhh, artists with a conscience. you gotta respect that ;) :D :D :D :roll:

sounds very un-groovy!

not sure what mine would be. i've seen some real sh*te local bands, both here in leeds and back home in oldham and manchester before i moved, but i honestly cant remember seeing anyone THAT bad at a major gig... am too tight to waste my cash if i dont like them ;) :D

but gene pitney at the queen elizabeth hall in oldham when i was about 12, with my mum and nan, was a definite high point. he was superb... :von:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Karst
Slight Overbomber

And what is up with 'Erstwhile Admin' Mr. QB.
Leaving us?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Karst wrote:And what is up with 'Erstwhile Admin' Mr. QB.
Leaving us?
eh? nah, just like the picture :D
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?