New interview with Wayne with some Sisters stuff

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
jparton
Road Kill

Nothing really new, but for completeness...Sisters elements below.

http://www.songfacts.com/blog/interview ... e_m*****n/
Songfacts: You worked with David Allen, someone you've worked with a lot over the years. What is it about David that fits so well with the music you make?

Wayne: Well, certainly I don't consider that we worked a lot together over the years. The first time we worked together was in 1983 when I was in a band called Dead Or Alive and we recorded our first single. It was with CBS at the time, and we used a studio called Genetic and Dave was the engineer there - a young kid engineer. That was the first time I met Dave. I always have gotten on great with him.

Then the second time was a couple years later when I was in The Sisters and we were looking for producers for the first album. Dave was suggested to us and I think he'd just started working with The Cure at that point, who were in a vaguely similar genre. I said, "Yeah, I know Dave, he's great," so we did that album together. He and I got on great. He had a tough job making that record because of tension within the band, shall we say. There's some great stuff on that record.
Songfacts: You mentioned Sisters Of Mercy. I think it's interesting that Sisters Of Mercy only recorded a few studio albums, and The m*****n has recorded for at least 25 years. And yet, you're still, in a lot of people's minds, associated with that band.

Wayne: It's all perpetuated by people like you asking the question, isn't it? You know, it's part of our past. But bloody hell, it's 27 years of The m*****n! How many jobs that you were doing 27 years ago do you still talk about? Very few. The thing about The Sisters was it was a great time. We made a good album. I'm proud of that time. It's already been well documented, so we don't really need to talk about that. Craig [Adams] and I came from that band, but we've been doing The m*****n now off and on for 27 years. It is unfortunate that we still end up having to come up against this one. As you said, The Sisters have released very few records, and I think on Andrew's [Eldritch] part, he's managed that very well. He still maintains his self-ness and his audience, you know. I think if Andrew was to make a record it would actually blow his whole thing, so I think he knows that. I'm a musician. I write a song. I want to record it. I want to get it out and move on to the next thing.

Songfacts: Well, can I ask you just one question about Sisters Of Mercy? And then we'll move on. As far as your recorded work with them, songs that you helped create, what are you most proud of?

Wayne: That would have to be "Marian." Andrew and I worked at different times of the day in the studio. I would work during the day, which is why poor old Dave was absolutely exhausted by the end of it: because he was trying to work with both of us. "Marian" was something I came up with in the studio and there I wrote the whole song, music and the backing track. I wrote "Black Planet" the same day, actually. Then Andrew came in in the evening:"Oh, I don't like that." I was, like, whatever. I went off. I came back in the morning and there were finished vocals on both of them. That was how it was working on the album.

I had an occasion to listen to "Marian" about a year or so ago because I was doing a DJ set. I thought, 'Oh, I'll play Sisters.' So I got "Marian" out and listened to it. There's a weird alchemy at work on that track with the guitars. I can't remember what I played or what guitars I played, but the combination, the mixture of the guitars on that song has some weird alchemy at work. It sounds really spacious, but very full.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Nice to see Wayne seems as sick of questions about the Sisters as the Sisters (sc. Andrew) probably are of questions about Wayne. ;D
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Jeremiah
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Everyone seems obsessed with the relationship between Wayne and :von:, but I've always wished someone would talk more about how Wayne got on with Gary Marx, especially musically. Did Gary play or have any input on the songs that Wayne wrote and vice versa?

Maybe there is something about this in an interview somewhere, but I've never seen it (but then I haven't obsessively tracked down every interview...)
I tried to tell her
About Marx and Eldritch, God and angels
I don't really know what for.
iesus
Overbomber

May i, the poor skipper, ask something to clear on my mind about that q-a's ? :)
Wayne seems to believe that if Andrew get in the studio and record a new album, he believes in reality that this will blow all the scenic and the myth of the Sisters and Andrew then will have no funds for doing what he likes to do? Did i get it right? :roll: :oops:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Big Si
School Bully

Wasn't it at the end of last year that someone posted "That Guitarists" Hit and Miss list, and what did he post as his most anticipated event of the year that never happened ? Yep, a new SOM album :wink:

And yet he complains about the 2 bands still being associated :roll:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
bearskin

iesus wrote: Wayne seems to believe that if Andrew get in the studio and record a new album, he believes in reality that this will blow all the scenic and the myth of the Sisters and Andrew then will have no funds for doing what he likes to do? Did i get it right? :roll: :oops:
Yes, that's about the sum of it - and he's absolutely right of course.

"He's managed that very well" lol, hasn't he ever?
bookish
Road Kill

I can see why he's proud of Marian though.
mh
Above the Chemist

I more than half suspect that Wayne is as guilty of perpetuating the association as anyone else; it's good press and Wayne's a sucker for that.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

mh wrote:I more than half suspect that Wayne is as guilty of perpetuating the association as anyone else; it's good press and Wayne's a sucker for that.
Seconded, and not only for that, see line two of his subliminal standard strategies ...
As you said, The Sisters have released very few records, and I think on Andrew's [Eldritch] part, he's managed that very well. He still maintains his self-ness and his audience, you know. I think if Andrew was to make a record it would actually blow his whole thing, so I think he knows that. I'm a musician. I write a song. I want to record it. I want to get it out and move on to the next thing.
Yes, Waynie-bee ... we know, we see what you're doing there ... *sigh ...

No wonder 27 years of that m*****n can't compete with one and a half years of The Sisters of Mercy .... :P :lol: ...
centurionofprix
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Yep, "blowing it" in any sense of the phrase probably doesn't bother Wayne at this point.
jparton
Road Kill

I think I am one of the few on here that has no problem equally enjoying the m*****n and the Sisters (pre Floodland, slight caveat)

I don't belong to any "camp" but find it amusing that there can be such bitterness to someone that has gone on to record for nearly 30 years vs. someone that has made three albums and tours as a virtual tribute act to what went before.

if the root of this is some kind of view that Wayne caused the split in '85 then you don't know your Sisters history. If you think Wayne's song writing made them more commercial (the FALAA Side A vs. Side B debate) then I give you Von's Steinman work.

If you just don't like big nosed plastic Scousers with a penchant for lipstick and silly hats, then I saulte you!

Luckily I can listen to both with out self loathing :)
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

jparton wrote:I think I am one of the few on here that has no problem equally enjoying the m*****n and the Sisters (pre Floodland, slight caveat)

I don't belong to any "camp" but find it amusing that there can be such bitterness to someone that has gone on to record for nearly 30 years vs. someone that has made three albums and tours as a virtual tribute act to what went before.

if the root of this is some kind of view that Wayne caused the split in '85 then you don't know your Sisters history, and if for those of you that think Wayne's song writing made them more commercial (the FALAA Side A vs. Side B debate) then I give you Von's Steinman work.

Luckily I can listen to both with out self loathing :)
Not at all,I love both bands,always have,but like yourself I have never understood the bitterness that Sisters fans have towards the Mish. It's certainly not reciprocated on the Mish forum. Perhaps people are dining on ashes because Wayne has the temerity to have a proper musical career,to try and fail,rather than ignoring the desires of his fanbase altogehter apart from the odd small tour to top up the coffers. After their 25th Anniversary gigs t'other year the band released a nicely packaged double dvd/cd of the event. Von fans are stuck with combing youtube whilst our illustrious leader sits at home in Leeds twiddling his thumbs. I'll be at the majority of the Mishun's gigs with Fields Of The Nephilm this December,and that surely is something else Von would never do,touring with another band the fanbase might like? Oh dear no.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Silver_Owl
The Don

I just don't like their music, never have. I have nothing against Wayne. He always seems like a decent bloke.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

:von:'s criticism of Wayne's lyricism is not without its merits. There are only so many clunky metaphors for sex you can stick into one song (Garden Of Delight is just one of the more egregious examples.)

But having said that The First Chapter has some cracking tunes, and God's Own Medicine isn't half bad either. I must admit that I haven't listened to any of the material post Carved In Sand.

But yeah, I listen to early Mis-sion stuff almost as frequently as the Sisters.

Edit to add:
Hom_Corleone wrote:I just don't like their music, never have.
This... I just don't understand. It seems to me that the early Mis-sion stuff follows on very much in the tradition of FALAA-era Sisters a lot more than Floodland does.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
mh
Above the Chemist

Yup, the early stuff was OK but after a while the music just started to suck.

This isn't a matter of subtexts or bitterness over whatever or yadda yadda yadda (always preferred the Von/Gazza/Ben/Craig era anyway so the Sisters with Wayne isn't of great consequence to me) - it's just a matter of personal taste.

I don't listen to James B***t because I think his music sucks. I don't listen to Wayne's later stuff because I think the music sucks. Simple as that.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Rise891

Saw the m*****n 2 nights back in Vegas. Got a chance to chat with Wayne and Craig after and get a few things signed. They were very nice about the Sisters stuff I put in front of them. Great show also!
I am NOT in the cool club
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Being645 wrote:
As you said, The Sisters have released very few records, and I think on Andrew's [Eldritch] part, he's managed that very well. He still maintains his self-ness and his audience, you know. I think if Andrew was to make a record it would actually blow his whole thing, so I think he knows that. I'm a musician. I write a song. I want to record it. I want to get it out and move on to the next thing.
In fairness there are loads of threads on this forum that have come to exactly the same conclusion ie Von's scared to reease anything new.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Some interesting lyrics on the new Mish album which could be interpreted as being about :von: . Especially Another pawn and Drag which I took to be about the infamous Wayne and the Sisters chat on here a couple of years ago about him being up for a possible Sisters reunion but AE taking a different view (shades of 1995 and all that).
FWIW I think WH's vocals are better and more natural on the new stuff than the rather strained theatrical stuff on the first few Mish albums. And it's nice to see him taking the blame for the David M Allen fiasco.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

stufarq wrote:
Being645 wrote:
In fairness there are loads of threads on this forum that have come to exactly the same conclusion ie Von's scared to reease anything new.
Scaremongers.
Spiggy's hat

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote: FWIW I think WH's vocals are better and more natural on the new stuff than the rather strained theatrical stuff on the first few Mish albums.
I loved the Mish from 86-88 but lost interest in their release after that point. I finally gave the Carved/Grains stuff a proper listen in the 00s and actually like a lot of it but everything else that I listened to from the 90s & 00s sounds poor IMO.

So I was surprised when I listened to the new album (after finding it on P2P a few weeks ago) to find that I thought that it was bloody good indeed. 8)

Definitely better than all the post Hinkler stuff, without trying to sound like the 80s albums all over again. I'm really looking forward to the Leeds gig now
Give me one good reason
sultan2075
Overbomber

stufarq wrote: In fairness there are loads of threads on this forum that have come to exactly the same conclusion ie Von's scared to reease anything new.
Does anyone think he's afraid? I don't. I think it's that his understanding of what TSOM are, and the place that they command in the marketplace, is very different from what the marketplace itself thinks of TSOM and the place that they command in the marketplace.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
ciazaera
Road Kill

I wish there had been a question about James Whale.
Any colour you like, so long as it's black. Unless it's a John Deere.
centurionofprix

markfiend wrote:
Hom_Corleone wrote:I just don't like their music, never have.
This... I just don't understand. It seems to me that the early Mis-sion stuff follows on very much in the tradition of FALAA-era Sisters a lot more than Floodland does.
Maybe in terms of the guitary soundscape on the surface, but the sensibility (and, IMO, the quality) of The m*****n's music doesn't have much to do with Sisters songwriting. Floodland is kind of dressed up in a different set of sounds, just as FALAA was in comparison to the early stuff, but the outlook, the wit and the style are those of the Sisters.

(I do really like "Naked and Savage" though. But I don't find even that to have much in common with the Sisters except precisely for Wayne's own guitaring.)
lsind
Road Kill

Both bands are i.m.o. indeed different from each other, but they still belong (i.m.o. again) in the same corner of the whole musical landscape, along with other bands such as Play Dead, early Cult and the Neph' (bands which are also quite different and easily recognizable from each other).
All of this being quite subjective of course... :roll:
But thinking about it now, when Gods Own Medicine was released (and the first few singles before it), it felt to me as the continuation of something started with FALAA (not including the lyrical content in the debate of course). :wink: And This Corrosion (the single) did not feel the same though - even with Gift inbetween. The rest of Floodland made up for that anyway.
Drsisters

Havn´t you heard ? The m*****n changed their name to Notorious Chemical Dustbin :lol: :lol:

Atleast in a review for the new album :innocent:
Andrew Eldritch Dour Festival 1997: Yeah, We take any request... As much as we ever do.