S.O.P.H.I.E

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

i am going to this tomorrow. very excited.
Thank you for confirming you will attend the SOPHIE Lancaster Foundation’s event this Wednesday 26th March, in Parliament. This "listening event" will bring together guests of the charity together to hear the multi-award winning “Black Roses – the Killing of Sophie Lancaster’ radio play, which will be followed by a discussion, led by music journalist John Robb, about hate crime and the work of the charity established by Sylvia Lancaster in Sophie's memory.
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Oh wow!
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

it was the most amazing thing i've ever been to. the play was intensely emotional in a non-dramatic way. the discussion was highpowered and very well informed (5 MPs, police, educators, social and youth workers, NHS, music biz). I said a few words of my own in my professional capacity and some in my goth capacity, too.
Selena
Amphetamine Filth

I'm glad you posted this... we all should remember her.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

yes.
and we should make people aware of who she was in the first place.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

For them's what's in the UK (or for you naughty naughty people who aren't, but who (for now, at least) avail themselves of a VPN in order to watch the Beeb online), there's a documentary on BBC3, Murdered For Being Different, about Sophie and Robert. Haven't watched it, but may be of interest.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Pista
Cureboi

I have been looking for a "digital safety backup copy" :innocent: of this since Sunday night, but can only find a 480p capture & even though my 4K telly does a grand job of upscaling, this will still look like an animated Monet painting through a misted up window.
So if anyone has a 1080p (or even 720p) version knocking about, drop me a line, as I really want to see it.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
abridged
Slight Overbomber

I read an interview with Sophie's boyfriend in the (I think) in the Guardian quite recently. He sounded, very understandably still quite traumatised. He seemed to be, which surprised me a bit, trying to play down the goth hate-crime aspect saying she was killed because the murderers were arseholes. Which is undoubted true also of course. It was quite a sad interview. I got the impression he's still struggling to come to terms with the whole thing which is completely understandable of course.
The Chancer Corporation
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

abridged wrote:I read an interview with Sophie's boyfriend in the (I think) in the Guardian quite recently. He sounded, very understandably still quite traumatised. He seemed to be, which surprised me a bit, trying to play down the goth hate-crime aspect saying she was killed because the murderers were arseholes. Which is undoubted true also of course. It was quite a sad interview. I got the impression he's still struggling to come to terms with the whole thing which is completely understandable of course.
maybe the pointlessness of her death in terms of it being down to how she looked isnt giving him what he needs to move on? that's understandable, but it shouldn't be forgotten that it really was about her looking how we've all looked/look to a certain extent. a truly awful, unforgettable murder of a sweet kid. upsets me no end.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

there's a programme about this on bbc iplayer called Murdered For Looking Different.
If you can, watch it. Non UK people can't, probably, but if you can...

I have to say that I haven't seen it. I can't. I haven't yet recovered from listening to the radio play (Black Roses) at an event, and that was a few years ago
Pista
Cureboi

emilystrange wrote:there's a programme about this on bbc iplayer called Murdered For Looking Different.

I have to say that I haven't seen it. I can't. I haven't yet recovered from listening to the radio play (Black Roses) at an event, and that was a few years ago
& if you don't have iplayer access, just pop onto a site that might be named after where Long John Silver may have parked his boat & search. It's just there as an SD version though.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
eastmidswhizzkid

Pista wrote:
emilystrange wrote:there's a programme about this on bbc iplayer called Murdered For Looking Different.

& if you don't have iplayer access, just pop onto a site that might be named after where Long John Silver may have parked his boat & search. It's just there as an SD version though.
if that would be The Pirate Bay i'm happy to promote it by it's full name. but seriously- always download torrents through a VPN. not only does it keep you safe from increasing likelihood of pprosecution/investigation but its almost impossible to do it without one these days as the ISPs, google and even firefox get more and more coerced by law enforcement.

Big Si
School Bully

"Can you see what I did here" :wink:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The version of Murdered For Looking Different from the BBC iPlayer is 720p and you never know where it might turn up ;D even if it is well over a gigabyte.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Pista
Cureboi

markfiend wrote:The version of Murdered For Looking Different from the BBC iPlayer is 720p and you never know where it might turn up ;D even if it is well over a gigabyte.
The size isn't a problem really. I usually wham stuff upwards of 2gb on a pen drive & jab that into the telly to watch
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The iplayer client I have for Linux also has an unfortunate side effect that it tends to accidentally remove the DRM restrictions from BBC content. What a pity.
—Bertrand Russell
Big Si
School Bully

The streaming version I found is just under 200MB and not bad quality at all :wink:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Big Si
School Bully

It's also re-appeared on youtube, but probably not for long -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULVToH-kKzw
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Pista wrote:I have been looking for a "digital safety backup copy" :innocent: of this since Sunday night, but can only find a 480p capture & even though my 4K telly does a grand job of upscaling, this will still look like an animated Monet painting through a misted up window.
So if anyone has a 1080p (or even 720p) version knocking about, drop me a line, as I really want to see it.
Check your mailbox...
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Or click on big si's winks.
Goths have feelings too
Being645
Wiki Wizard

True. Thanks for the hint and for the link ... :D ...
Big Si wrote:It's also re-appeared on youtube, but probably not for long -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULVToH-kKzw
Unfortunately, this one is out of sync after around 10 min.
eastmidswhizzkid

thanks to all for the links. :notworthy:

Being645
Wiki Wizard

For those in the UK there's no problem to watch it on BBC.

And it's very well worth watching ... :notworthy: ...