M6, Junctions 7-11

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Master Margarita
Amphetamine Filth

I am driving* to the lake district this weekend from London. As I'm west London I'm driving M40 to *whispers* Birmingham and then M6. For a number of fairly obvious reasons, I would like to keep the time spent in the vicinity of Birmingham to a minimum. Does anyone know what time the traffic round there clogs up in the day? Or know any ways round it?

*Fast, BP, very fast. With leather gloves.
When was the last time you cut the catwalk caviar?
Master Margarita
Amphetamine Filth

Tx. Option 1 it is then.
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

Master Margarita wrote:I am driving* to the lake district this weekend from London. As I'm west London I'm driving M40 to *whispers* Birmingham and then M6. For a number of fairly obvious reasons, I would like to keep the time spent in the vicinity of Birmingham to a minimum. Does anyone know what time the traffic round there clogs up in the day? Or know any ways round it?

And what kind of car would that be? Wait, don't tell me.....from what I saw when I was last in your country you all drive micro cars with NO horsepower! :wink:
Jim
Slight Overbomber

Snub Nose wrote:there are some ways round getting clogged up this weekend

(1) drive at about 3am.
(2) go by magic carpet instead of a car.
(3) don't go to the lake district this bank holiday weekend.
I've gotta get to Newcastle and they're threatening all sorts of fun with trains. I'm just gonna go straight from work to the pub, get wankered, then hope some kind stranger puts me on a train to bonny Newcastle.
"You do realize you're talking to a man with a human head in his hands who has every intention of using it to beat these people to death?"
Master Margarita
Amphetamine Filth

911. White. With very, very fat wheels.
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

Master Margarita wrote:911. White. With very, very fat wheels.
Make and model? And how fast can you do 0 to 60 mph?
Master Margarita
Amphetamine Filth

Black Planet wrote:
Master Margarita wrote:I am driving* to the lake district this weekend from London. As I'm west London I'm driving M40 to *whispers* Birmingham and then M6. For a number of fairly obvious reasons, I would like to keep the time spent in the vicinity of Birmingham to a minimum. Does anyone know what time the traffic round there clogs up in the day? Or know any ways round it?

And what kind of car would that be? Wait, don't tell me.....from what I saw when I was last in your country you all drive micro cars with NO horsepower! :wink:
I see. A couple of years ago, I went out to visit my brother, who lived in Malibu at the time. I rented a car and drove up the coast (highway 101- Black Planet) to San Fran doing the usual Big Sur / Carmel stop over. The car I rented was a pontiac firebird. To me it epitomised a lot of the things that AMerica has go wrong. A big hulking mess of steel and plastic which, whilst it looks ok, accelerates to 60 with as much omph as an asthmatic granny on prozac stuffed full with broken gadgets which would matter more if they weren't useless. Oh and, of course, the over-promise and under-deliver design of the car was totally irrelevant given the 55 speed limit on the roads. Pontiac firebird. More fire in a freezer in santas grotto in the north pole. Nice scenery though.
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

MM you are too funny. What's a speed limit?

Mine's a 2000 Chevy Impala with 4 speed overdrive. I have a 1970 1/2 Camaro parked in the garage. Nice cars really....and I bet I drive faster than you do.

Have a good trip and try not to crash that car of yours.
;)
Black Dahlia
Elegantly Wasted

Black Planet wrote:MM you are too funny. What's a speed limit?

Mine's a 2000 Chevy Impala with 4 speed overdrive. I have a 1970 1/2 Camaro parked in the garage. Nice cars really....and I bet I drive faster than you do.

;)
He's got a porshe B.P - 'nuff said *rolls eyes*
Hell is other people
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

Black Dahlia wrote:
Black Planet wrote:MM you are too funny. What's a speed limit?

;)
He's got a porshe B.P - 'nuff said *rolls eyes*
Yeah so I was informed! He sucked me right into that didn't he? :roll:
I guess that's gonna call for some punishment.... (Planet cracks her whip with an Evil smile...) Please see my sig line again MM....time for you to submit...Peel it off baby...this is it...LOL

:innocent: :twisted: :wink:
Master Margarita
Amphetamine Filth

Porsche. There is no substitute.
Master Margarita
Amphetamine Filth

Unrelated, but isn't something like this thread heading a line from a NMA song? I quite liked some of their lyrics.
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

Master Margarita wrote:Porsche. There is no substitute.
Uh you are correct..

but the last person I knew to drive a porsche was former partner.. in the CPA firm I worked...NERD to the max. Balls hanging out at company picnic.
Last edited by Black Planet on 23 Aug 2003, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.
Andie
Overbomber

911?...Porsche...hum

don't rate 'em!

don't drive 'em...would thank ya if i had to either...just prick extensions

BUT...

back to the avoid Birmingham question you posed...

take the A1(M) outta north London because the M1 to Luton will be blocked with the traffic...at the A14 junction (huntingdon) take the midlands route to the M1/M6 junction...there join the M1 north bound until you find the east midlands airport and the A50 for Stoke on Trent...at Stoke join the M6 north bound for the lakes...it may add about an hour to normal driving conditions...but then as the M6 isn't normal...

other choice is to take the M1 to Leeds and the M62 west to the M6...but as Leeds is a sucky hole in the ground i'd avoid it at all costs!... :twisted:
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
Master Margarita
Amphetamine Filth

Thanks. Took the A50 on the way back, worked a treat.
Panther

my chosen form of transport will do 0-60 in approx 3 secs... but then it has two wheels not four so outclasses you all round.. ;D ;)