Music to get your karma straight..(apparently)

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Microcosmia
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Here's the top ten most relaxing songs according to neuroscientists (no Sisters on the list though :lol: ). A couple of them aren't really songs as such but anyway there's even a 10 hour version of #1 available.

http://www.inc.com/melanie-curtin/neuro ... rcent.html
SmileySister
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Microcosmia wrote:Here's the top ten most relaxing songs according to neuroscientists (no Sisters on the list though :lol: ). A couple of them aren't really songs as such but anyway there's even a 10 hour version of #1 available.

My list would start with the Cocteau Twins/This Mortal Coil.
SmileySister
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

SmileySister wrote:
Microcosmia wrote:Here's the top ten most relaxing songs according to neuroscientists (no Sisters on the list though :lol: ). A couple of them aren't really songs as such but anyway there's even a 10 hour version of #1 available.

My list would start with the Cocteau Twins & This Mortal Coil.
With G&T and a ciggie.
Microcosmia

SmileySister wrote:
SmileySister wrote:
My list would start with the Cocteau Twins & This Mortal Coil.

With G&T and a ciggie.
Nice choices too.

I suspect the G&T and ciggie are extraneous variables not controlled for in the original study :lol:
mh
Above the Chemist

Coldplay at number 5, can't see that relaxing me. More inclined to make me wanna rip a sofa in 2 actually.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Alex66

mh wrote:Coldplay at number 5, can't see that relaxing me. More inclined to make me wanna rip a sofa in 2 actually.
Thankfully they have not made a 10 hour version of it, sadly well their music all lasts longer than 0 seconds.
The illiterate of the future will not be the man who cannot read the alphabet, but the one who cannot take a photograph. - Walter Benjamin
Driver powered by Cigarettes, Caffeine and Vitriol
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

As much as i don't like coldplay, it's clear that under that slight-above-mediocrity for middle class they know how to write songs, they seem to be a bit cheep version of Beach Boys.

OT: there's a lack of B. Eno songs (example: An ending ascent, The big ship), same with Aphex Twin ambient stuff and Boards of Canada.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Oh my, a good part of that stuff goes straight to my nerves ... .Image :lol:

Bartek wrote:OT: there's a lack of B. Eno songs
Absolutely. Or some classical music other than Mozart... :wink: ..
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Yeah, where's Debussy (i know, he's long gone) or Glass? Arvo Pärt?
Microcosmia

Being645 wrote:Oh my, a good part of that stuff goes straight to my nerves ... .Image :lol:
Some of it's not what you'd expect to see on such a list is it?

(although nearly everything played on pan pipes gets on my nerves eventually :lol:)
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Microcosmia wrote:
Being645 wrote:Oh my, a good part of that stuff goes straight to my nerves ... .Image :lol:

(although nearly everything played on pan pipes gets on my nerves eventually :lol:)
... and Phantom is missing, anyway ... :wink: ...
Swinnow
Overbomber

Or Ra by Utopia.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
czuczu
Overbomber

Aegispolis is the most chillin thing ever..

https://youtu.be/Uw7TY-zPaas

So chilled, that the bassline is a minute late to it's own party :)
zaltys7

Bartek wrote:Yeah, where's Debussy (i know, he's long gone) or Glass? Arvo Pärt?
Debussy, could not agree more, wonderful.
"We have too many cellphones. We've got too many internets. We have got to get rid of those machines. We have too many machines now." - Ray Bradbury.
UnnaturalDisaster
Road Kill

mh wrote:Coldplay at number 5, can't see that relaxing me. More inclined to make me wanna rip a sofa in 2 actually.
Ditto. See also: that sodding Adele track.
"This is Jenny. She's the family sadist."
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

all that shit would drive me up the wall; ambient music mostly doesnt have any drums for starters. :urff:
the nearest to any kind of "chill-out" record for me would have to be "dummy" by portishead; i love falling asleep to that. but i find all of my music relaxing, soothing, soul-balming and invigorating depending on what i'm most in need of. i must have fallen asleep listening to the albert hall and rock city bootlegs hundreds of times when i was a young teen (and space ritual....17 seconds.....dead kennedys etc because they were on cassette and i had a cassette walkman).
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
UnnaturalDisaster
Road Kill

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: i must have fallen asleep listening to the albert hall and rock city bootlegs hundreds of times when i was a young teen (and space ritual....17 seconds.....dead kennedys etc because they were on cassette and i had a cassette walkman).
I was surprised when my first boyfriend complained he "couldn't sleep through that racket" when I left the debut Butthole Surfers album on a loop overnight. In retrospect, I should have taken that as an ill omen.
"This is Jenny. She's the family sadist."
eastmidswhizzkid

UnnaturalDisaster wrote:
eastmidswhizzkid wrote: i must have fallen asleep listening to the albert hall and rock city bootlegs hundreds of times when i was a young teen (and space ritual....17 seconds.....dead kennedys etc because they were on cassette and i had a cassette walkman).
I was surprised when my first boyfriend complained he "couldn't sleep through that racket" when I left the debut Butthole Surfers album on a loop overnight. In retrospect, I should have taken that as an ill omen.
absolutely. if he dont like the buttholes then he aint the man for you! (and he got off lightly cuz locust abortion technician is much much more cacophanousl.)
music is great for getting rid of people who might otherwise have falsely wheedled their way into your life. despite having many phonographic delights if i had visitors i would only ever play the sisters, just as a matter of course, in the same way as some people you might visit will make you sit through all the soaps, cuz its their house. the cunts. it tended to work quite nicely for driving away people who could/would have turned out to be utterly mind-numbing if they'd stayed too much longer.
"the reptile house ep" is a great leveller of people. if like us you love the sisters then youre going to love the reptile house; however some people who might quite like say, dominion or lucretia or think marian very pretty, could easily think find the reptile house an audio abomination. it was always my favourite thing to play if people came round to mine and took acid. endlessly looping those few fabulous tracks really sorts the wheat from the chaff. if they could hear the kiss reprise without running away screaming "oh god it;s starting again!" then there was a good chance they werent going to sit there smoking all my dope before getting confused and starting to take their clothes off. (drug casualties are only funny when theyre going mental on someone else's imterestingly patterned carpet).

Alex66

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
UnnaturalDisaster wrote:
absolutely. if he dont like the buttholes then he aint the man for you! (and he got off lightly cuz locust abortion technician is much much more cacophanousl.)
music is great for getting rid of people who might otherwise have falsely wheedled their way into your life. despite having many phonographic delights if i had visitors i would only ever play the sisters, just as a matter of course, in the same way as some people you might visit will make you sit through all the soaps, cuz its their house. the cunts. it tended to work quite nicely for driving away people who could/would have turned out to be utterly mind-numbing if they'd stayed too much longer.
"the reptile house ep" is a great leveller of people. if like us you love the sisters then youre going to love the reptile house; however some people who might quite like say, dominion or lucretia or think marian very pretty, could easily think find the reptile house an audio abomination. it was always my favourite thing to play if people came round to mine and took acid. endlessly looping those few fabulous tracks really sorts the wheat from the chaff. if they could hear the kiss reprise without running away screaming "oh god it;s starting again!" then there was a good chance they werent going to sit there smoking all my dope before getting confused and starting to take their clothes off. (drug casualties are only funny when theyre going mental on someone else's imterestingly patterned carpet).
I found a lot of music that will drive people up the wall, after some Avant Garde Jazz some would literally be relieved with "The Reptile House". These people could just f**k off if their minds were so closed that they moaned about The Sisters and whined even more when I played light stuff like "The Shape of Jazz to Come" let alone getting into Lester Bowie and so on. Music is a great way of telling if people need to get their shines out of your life, don't mind if they don't like it but if they moan about it they can just f**k right off.
The illiterate of the future will not be the man who cannot read the alphabet, but the one who cannot take a photograph. - Walter Benjamin
Driver powered by Cigarettes, Caffeine and Vitriol
GC
Slight Overbomber

Being645 wrote:
Microcosmia wrote:

... and Phantom is missing, anyway ... :wink: ...
Phantom always stressed me out for some reason....maybe because it was trapped betweed Floorshow and 1969 :D
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Probably because music recently plays (:wink:) smaller part in my life, seeing some discography would tell me something about his/her taste, but i wouldn't dare use it as mean to sorts the wheat from the chaff or as something like indocator. Of course, if someone would play me some daft tekkno, disco or dane, i would be suprised, but luckly there no one around me who listen that kind of music.
If somethig tells more about people is books that he/she reads.
(All that, of course, IMO).
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Lee I will happily listen to The Reptile House with you over and over and over and smoke all your dope. :kiss: The clothes stay on though. :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
eastmidswhizzkid

markfiend wrote:Lee I will happily listen to The Reptile House with you over and over and over and smoke all your dope. :kiss: The clothes stay on though. :lol:

aw! spoilsport! :lol:

zaltys7

Alex66 wrote:
eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
UnnaturalDisaster wrote: I was surprised when my first boyfriend complained he "couldn't sleep through that racket" when I left the debut Butthole Surfers album on a loop overnight. In retrospect, I should have taken that as an ill omen.
I found a lot of music that will drive people up the wall, after some Avant Garde Jazz some would literally be relieved with "The Reptile House". These people could just f**k off if their minds were so closed that they moaned about The Sisters and whined even more when I played light stuff like "The Shape of Jazz to Come" let alone getting into Lester Bowie and so on. Music is a great way of telling if people need to get their shines out of your life, don't mind if they don't like it but if they moan about it they can just f**k right off.
Yeah, but Debussy is still fuckin brilliant.
"We have too many cellphones. We've got too many internets. We have got to get rid of those machines. We have too many machines now." - Ray Bradbury.
zaltys7

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:all that shit would drive me up the wall; ambient music mostly doesnt have any drums for starters. :urff:
the nearest to any kind of "chill-out" record for me would have to be "dummy" by portishead; i love falling asleep to that. but i find all of my music relaxing, soothing, soul-balming and invigorating depending on what i'm most in need of. i must have fallen asleep listening to the albert hall and rock city bootlegs hundreds of times when i was a young teen (and space ritual....17 seconds.....dead kennedys etc because they were on cassette and i had a cassette walkman).
Dummy is all about the drums.