NEW SONGS!

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
H. Blackrose
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I just thought of something - the first Sisters-related song with a sequenced bassline was "Giving Ground", which I don't think was ever played live precisely until the Doktor evolved enough to do bass on stage. So it might be that the basslines to the new songs couldn't be played properly by a human.
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."
LyanvisAberrant
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

H. Blackrose wrote: 02 Feb 2024, 07:32 I just thought of something - the first Sisters-related song with a sequenced bassline was "Giving Ground", which I don't think was ever played live precisely until the Doktor evolved enough to do bass on stage. So it might be that the basslines to the new songs couldn't be played properly by a human.
Not without an awful lot of effort. A good enough bassist has been discussed, but you also need the tech setup and EQ prowess to wrangle it to fit in the mix (volume, effects, changing the bass 'voice'), in the same way the doctor does on a nightly basis.
On 'Here', for example, the bass is so inherently bonded to the 'welcome ro the machine' esque minimoog chugging sound, that any rhythmic wrongdoings or tonal misgivings on the bassists part would stand out like a sore bassline. The optimal way to perform them is, as andrew says, his call. I think this is right.
On the other hand, she's a monster sounds like it was written to be played with a real bassist. It's got so much space that in my opinion, it would have been just as good had Dylan been playing a bass guitar instead.
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
Husek
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

LyanvisAberrant wrote: 02 Feb 2024, 12:35
H. Blackrose wrote: 02 Feb 2024, 07:32 I just thought of something - the first Sisters-related song with a sequenced bassline was "Giving Ground", which I don't think was ever played live precisely until the Doktor evolved enough to do bass on stage. So it might be that the basslines to the new songs couldn't be played properly by a human.
Not without an awful lot of effort. A good enough bassist has been discussed, but you also need the tech setup and EQ prowess to wrangle it to fit in the mix (volume, effects, changing the bass 'voice'), in the same way the doctor does on a nightly basis.
On 'Here', for example, the bass is so inherently bonded to the 'welcome ro the machine' esque minimoog chugging sound, that any rhythmic wrongdoings or tonal misgivings on the bassists part would stand out like a sore bassline. The optimal way to perform them is, as andrew says, his call. I think this is right.
On the other hand, she's a monster sounds like it was written to be played with a real bassist. It's got so much space that in my opinion, it would have been just as good had Dylan been playing a bass guitar instead.
This is 100% correct.
As someone who is constantly playing/recording sisters songs, this rings VERY true.

What I do sometimes is doubling the bass, combining a sequenced bassline with a real bass, and then 'tame' it in the mix, or end up using the human bass for non-rhythmic purposes.
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
mh
Above the Chemist

I believe Blood Money (and presumably Bury Me Deep as well) was talked about as having a sequenced bassline as well, apparently relations in the band were sufficiently bad at the time they were recorded that Craig wasn't involved.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
H. Blackrose

mh wrote: 02 Feb 2024, 16:53
I believe Blood Money (and presumably Bury Me Deep as well) was talked about as having a sequenced bassline as well, apparently relations in the band were sufficiently bad at the time they were recorded that Craig wasn't involved.
Is it sequenced or just played on a synth? I'm sure a couple of the FALAA tracks have a synth bass line (esp. "A Rock and a Hard Place")
mh
Above the Chemist

H. Blackrose wrote: 02 Feb 2024, 23:11
Is it sequenced or just played on a synth? I'm sure a couple of the FALAA tracks have a synth bass line (esp. "A Rock and a Hard Place")
You could be right, yes.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Guedzilla
Amphetamine Filth
Location: At the place where the bars never close (not that soon, at least)

What about Afterhours? There seem to be 2 bass lines, one that's playing constantly, that I would think is sequenced (altough, could it have been done back then?) and another line that plays a few notes only during the chorus.
Introducing....Gothzilla?!?
H. Blackrose

Guedzilla wrote: 05 Feb 2024, 16:59 What about Afterhours? There seem to be 2 bass lines, one that's playing constantly, that I would think is sequenced (altough, could it have been done back then?) and another line that plays a few notes only during the chorus.
Good point, I forgot that one. But it's never been played live except as an intro tape (has it?)
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

mh wrote: 02 Feb 2024, 23:35

You could be right, yes.
Blood Money and Bury Me Deep are bass synths. Rock and a hard place is a bass flange/phaser effect which might have been fiddled with for the start of the mack mix ( on the last magician mix) but the bass isnt sequenced . like most of FALAA i think the bass is played by Wayne.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
DJW
Road Kill

As an aside does anyone else think it’s odd that Here isn’t listed among the new songs on the official site?

Possible it’s a new name for one of the unheard ones (eg We are on this plane)?

Or more likely,, Von just couldn’t be arsed to update the list…
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

DJW wrote: 29 Feb 2024, 19:32 As an aside does anyone else think it’s odd that Here isn’t listed among the new songs on the official site?

Possible it’s a new name for one of the unheard ones (eg We are on this plane)?

Or more likely,, Von just couldn’t be arsed to update the list…
Now there's a question for Ben next time someone sees him. I've always presumed that it was We Are On This Plane, transmogrified, though it was only ever 100% presumption and 0% factual knowledge.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Guedzilla
Amphetamine Filth

H. Blackrose wrote: 05 Feb 2024, 23:01
Guedzilla wrote: 05 Feb 2024, 16:59 What about Afterhours? There seem to be 2 bass lines, one that's playing constantly, that I would think is sequenced (altough, could it have been done back then?) and another line that plays a few notes only during the chorus.
Good point, I forgot that one. But it's never been played live except as an intro tape (has it?)
Oh, you're right :roll:
Somehow it didn't even cross my mind that it could be studio multitracking. :lol:
Guedzilla
Amphetamine Filth

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 19 Feb 2024, 00:51
mh wrote: 02 Feb 2024, 23:35

You could be right, yes.
Blood Money and Bury Me Deep are bass synths. Rock and a hard place is a bass flange/phaser effect which might have been fiddled with for the start of the mack mix ( on the last magician mix) but the bass isnt sequenced . like most of FALAA i think the bass is played by Wayne.
I flipped Wayne's book twice and got to the exact page, what are the odds?

Uhh, I'm not sure how to post images, but the text goes:
One thing I introduced to the proceedings was essentially the same thing that I had introduced to Dead Or Alive. On the song that came to be known as 'A Rock And A Hard Place'. I played the bass with a triggered gate over it to give it that clean, sequenced duh-duh-duh, duh-duh-duh which propels the song in a very mechanical way. This time though, introducing the sequencer effect into the equation didn't ultimately lose me my job.