Andrew...and why U like him

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

Ok you all know I love Andrew. He's tall dark handsome...sigh..leather clad....more sighs...Gee just watch the This Corrosion and Lucretia vids...
I can't say more...except pick me up off the floor. :notworthy: :notworthy:

So,. for the men here..well just what is it about him that you like? And I know.....it's different for girls than men, but some bands get branded as girlie bands. And TSOM has not earned that moniker. Why not?

:innocent: :von:
Planet
Carrie
Amphetamine Filth

Black Planet wrote: He's tall dark handsome...

Say WHAT?! :lol: Handsome might be a subjective quality, but having once met the guy (Asylum club, Leeds Poly, sometime around '91) & stood within 4' of him at Bristol & Leeds last tour...he's titchy. & blond.

I like them (not as much as I did when I was 17 & doing TS Eliot for 'A' Level, admittedly) because they write quite intelligent rock songs & are quite a bit better than yer average 20 year old festival circuit mob live. I'm not going to pretend I haven't been a tad disappointed by them in the last few years because they've gone ever so slightly...dull...live (smoke & mirrors, yes. Substance, no)...but they're still a good night out...
Queen of the mean!
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

One mans poison is another mans tonic.

I stand 5 feet 2 inches. At that Andrew is Tall to me. Tall dark and wonderfully handsome.

Yes, sex appeal is all subjective. But isn't that what life/love is all about?
So he's not your cup of tea. He is mine. He always will be. Sigh.. and for more than what I see in vids...He really is an intellectual Love God in my estimation.

Hey... we all have our picadillos..mine is Andrew. Followed by Zodiac.
Last edited by Black Planet on 05 Oct 2003, 14:58, edited 1 time in total.
ryan
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

why i like eldritch- not for his looks (obviously)
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

I like him 'coz he acts as a complete and utter egocentric maniac.
I like that kind of behaviour for an artist.
One day, I want to be as arrogant as he is.
That'll make me look cool, and I want to look cool.

Naw There!

IZZY. :von:
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Some one, sorry, I can't remember who, remarked that we choose our heros carefully. Either those we could never be, or those who with a enough effort we could hope to emulate.
I spent rather a lot of time as a teenager in the 80's trying to "be" Eldritch,
who to me back then was the very epitome of cool rock 'n' roll sleeze.
I also spent rather a lot of money on other Eldritch inpsired pursuits.
Don't remember a lot about the summer of 94', except I crawled back home to my parents weighing six and a half stone! :oops: :eek:
Once you pass thirty such things seem unimportant or foolish - I found out who I was a long time ago. Any similarities that now exist are probably actual rather than contrived.
I still admire his work a lot, particularly the early references to Eliot.
Been disappointed recently, believe he both could and should be trying harder. But ultimately, who am I to judge?
Sometimes the inertia of the past is a hard thing to escape.
So I guess I like Eldritch because of what he meant, rather that what he's become.
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
Nick_O_Tine
Road Kill

Planet, sometimes it seems you see Eldritch like just a piece of tasty flesh :wink: :P .
James Blast
Banned

we like Mr.E because he has rock star in his veins and he is a Love God just like Hal from Malcolm In The Middle/

regards
James Blast
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

Nick_O_Tine wrote:Planet, sometimes it seems you see Eldritch like just a piece of tasty flesh :wink: :P .
I love him for his mind, not his body!!! :wink: :wink:

And now I am officially his Love Goddess...Thanks Quiffy! :D

:innocent: :von:
Andy TG
Overbomber

Red Sunsets wrote:we like Mr.E because he has rock star in his veins and he is a Love God just like Hal from Malcolm In The Middle/

regards
James Blast
@ James :notworthy:

You Are So Right - AE is Hal (the father) from Malcolm In The Middle :-)
This Is Not Ordinary S & M
This Is M & S S & M
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

Like Eldritch? Probably not. Respect him. Maybe. Feel an affinity. Definitely. Like myself, he:

Escaped Southern Emptiness to find Northern Soul.

Studied French and German. Moi aussi.

Doesn't like France. Moi non plus.

Tried to distance himself from studentland, ingratiate himself with the natives and failed miserably on both counts.

Refuses to wear contact lenses.

Thinks being a smartarse can disguise his insecurities.

Pours his heart out to complete strangers.

Drinks too much. On his own.

Sold his embarassing collection of 70s "progressive" rock vinyl only to buy them all back again as CDs.

Is an honorary Yorkshireman.

Thinks about retiring to Bridlington.

Reads his posts over and over while drinking lager and smoking a cigarette to check for spelling and syntax before pressing the submit button.
Go to sleep now, Francis.
karin
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Thrash Harry wrote:Like Eldritch? Probably not. Respect him. Maybe. Feel an affinity. Definitely. Like myself, he:

Escaped Southern Emptiness to find Northern Soul.

Studied French and German. Moi aussi.

Doesn't like France. Moi non plus.

Tried to distance himself from studentland, ingratiate himself with the natives and failed miserably on both counts.

Refuses to wear contact lenses.

Thinks being a smartarse can disguise his insecurities.

Pours his heart out to complete strangers.

Drinks too much. On his own.

Sold his embarassing collection of 70s "progressive" rock vinyl only to buy them all back again as CDs.

Is an honorary Yorkshireman.

Thinks about retiring to Bridlington.

Reads his posts over and over while drinking lager and smoking a cigarette to check for spelling and syntax before pressing the submit button.
I like eldritch because all wot he said. p.s What's syntax ?
Zwei bier bitte.....
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

karin wrote:p.s What's syntax ?
It's about 20% on a packet of Richmond Superkings and too tricky to calculate on a bottle of Thunderbird Red.

http://www.hmce.gov.uk/business/othertaxes/alcohol.htm
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Thrash Harry wrote:
karin wrote:p.s What's syntax ?
It's about 20% on a packet of Richmond Superkings and too tricky to calculate on a bottle of Thunderbird Red.

http://www.hmce.gov.uk/business/othertaxes/alcohol.htm
doh! :urff: :lol:

but what's a mexican, urn? ;)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me!
Nancy_78
Amphetamine Filth

I like Andrew for his incredible intelligence in anything he does the most.And here are some of reasons why:

-his rather excellent songwriting
(AE: "Wayne had started writing songs.Which musically didn't worry me,but lyrically I had a real problem with them.I really tried,but they weren't my sort of lyric...They didn't actually mean anything." - Q Magazine Jan 1988 issue)

-speaks four languages fluently
(English,German,French and Chinese)

-his sense of how the business matters should have really be done
(Running his very own Merciful Release label; AE: "...Because,one of the things The m*****n did was to sign to Phonogram without reminding anybody they were still signed to WEA,and they were consequently financially rapped over the knuckles.Greatly to my benefit." - Q Magazine Jan 1988 issue)

-his judging about people of any kind
(admires Motorhead's Lemmy,Iggy Pop,Tori Amos,David Bowie,Joseph Conrad and Martin Luther King among others;despises Margaret Thatcher,US presidential Bush dinasty and plastic pop groups like Aqua et al among others)

-his respect for the opposite sex
(AE: "Generally,I've always trusted the judgement of women better,I wish there were far more of them in bands you could work with,engineers too...I think it's very insulting that people think people of the opposite sex are only in bands because they're going with each other." - Q Magazine Jan 1988 issue)

-his very rich knowledge
(he's interested in more than just one thing only)

-his attitude
(AE: "I believe everybody should have it in them to be one because it's a hard world and nice people got trodden on...I really do believe in such a world but I've always thought of myself as one of the good guys that can shoot." - Q Magazine Dec 1990 issue)
etc.

If I'd meet Andrew I would have plenty to talk to him about although I do know that conversation bores him very much.

And yes,I like him of the way he looks like as well.
Andrew Eldritch wrote: "I'm actually quite a decent bastard..." (New Musical Express, February 27th 1988)
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

I'd agree with most of that wholeheartedly, especially songwriting of course, and his worldview, which i find very entertaining and frequently enlightening. Von really has shaped, in some small way at least, the way i look at the world around me.

I have some reservations, though, because I think some of these strengths are double-edged swords (minor points - we've had the language discussion, and he was NEVER fluent in chinese, never mind twenty years down the line...secondly, i think there's a bit more to be said on the topic of respect for women. yes, he's made some admirable comments. he's also made some pretty offensive ones. yes, he wrote Romeo Down. but his form sheet is not totally clean on this point, i think.)

I think it's fair to list his faults, because I have a sneaking feeling that's why some of us like him too... prevarication - pointless so-called perfectionism, which as we all know is frequently just a cover for deep insecurity about your work. i mean, a month to make a drum-track for vision thing is three and a half weeks too long for anyone, and as we know from the decision to ditch the final mixes, it really was time wasted. a fortnight at a time to write one or two lines at a time for falaa - doh! And his attitude has its costs in terms of the band's stature, of which i think Von IS concerned about - being snide to journalists is great entertainment, and no doubt helped to make his name early on. but often he's just plain rude and condescending. this does not help the prospects of the band. neither does turning down tv offers because they're 'stupid' (though they sometimes are), and often as not refusing to put sisters songs on compilations. hell, the only reason we have the two sisters compilations we DO have is because Von was in a pickle with the record company.

None of this means i don't love the guy (even Van Morrison and Lou Reed, the legendary curmudgeons, still have fans), but it does mean it's always a kind of ambiguous feeling, no?
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
Chairman Bux
shut.the.fuck.up

I like Andrew because he's charming, witty, debonair, a snappy dresser, a wonderful human being and an even better lover.
Minister of Misinformation and Misdirection.

We first met through a shared view
She loved me and I did too
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

Chairman Bux wrote:I like Andrew because he's charming, witty, debonair, a snappy dresser, a wonderful human being and an even better lover.
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

LMAO LMAO LMAO

Chairman, you have captured Andrew's essence in one sentence!!! Or have you captured the Anti Andrew.. :wink: :wink: :wink:

BRAVO!!! Now I fully realize why you are The Chairman! :notworthy:
hallucienate
Overbomber

I was gonna make a comment about "Andew's essence", but I won't.
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

Smart Ass.

Nice avatar by the way. Did you take that photo?
hallucienate
Overbomber

Black Planet wrote:Smart Ass.

Nice avatar by the way. Did you take that photo?
nah, I was on the beach when the thunderstorm hit. got thoroughly wet :?
Serendipityhaven
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

dont know if i'd use the term "like" personally...but as far as i can make out,the mans got the tenacity,strength,temprament and stubborn refusal to take the easy route when it comes to what he believes in or really wants to do regardless of what anybody else wants or needs.

works for me. :wink:
You know you're something special,
And you look like you're the best
Dan
Overbomber

Chairman Bux wrote:I like Andrew because he's charming, witty, debonair, a snappy dresser, a wonderful human being and an even better lover.
And you have personal experience of this, yes?