Legal contact for copyright stuff?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Chaotican
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Does anyone know who to contact for permission to use a phrase? I’ve got a creative project called “Some Girls Wander By Mistake” and it seems rude to not ask, at least.

I was actually married to a copyright attorney when I created it and he told me it’s legal to use it (and credit is given), but I would change the title if asked. Anyhow, i doubt anyone would notice or care, but it still feels presumptuous to move forward without asking!
mh
Above the Chemist

It's from a Leonard Cohen song, so I'd guess they're the people you'd potentially need to clear it with.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Chaotican

mh wrote: 01 Sep 2021, 18:06 It's from a Leonard Cohen song, so I'd guess they're the people you'd potentially need to clear it with.
Agree on the origin, and Teachers is part of why I chose the title. However, its not possible to copyright a phrase in a song, or even the name of an album, according to my ex. The issue becomes one of trademark minutiae if there could be any confusion due to associations and customer expectations and 😴....

Just felt like a dick move. Like naming your new cat the same name that your coworker picked out for their soon-to-be-born baby or something. Of course, it’s probably equally as impactful, so I won’t worry about it too much!
iesus
Overbomber

It's like naming a kid. You may be in an embarrassed situation by naming it with a strange name, but none will sue you ( just laugh behind you, which is awful ) :notworthy: :bat:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
abridged
Slight Overbomber

I've used lines from Sisters songs on my exhibitions and magazines pretty regularly. I had a Brand New Darkness exhibition in Galway and A Many Splintered Thing exhibition in Derry for instance. Generally i just give credit to :von: in the editorial. I suspect that most people would be fine with somebody using a line from a song as a project title. The one time I did ask was when I took a line from a World Of Skin song for an exhibition in Belfast as I'd heard Michael Gira could maybe be annoyed by it. I asked Mr Gira who was absolutely fine about it. In fact Swans played in Belfast during the run of the show. Don't know if he saw the show though! :lol:
The Chancer Corporation
Chaotican

abridged wrote: 02 Sep 2021, 11:22 I've used lines from Sisters songs on my exhibitions and magazines pretty regularly.
I am now curious to see these! Have anything coming up?

Sound interpretation you’ve got there, I expect. It was my cousin, searching on Amazon for my thing and texting me, “you know...there’s a band that used that title...” that did it. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Well, that and iesus’s taunting laughter. 😉
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Chaotican wrote: 02 Sep 2021, 14:22
abridged wrote: 02 Sep 2021, 11:22 I've used lines from Sisters songs on my exhibitions and magazines pretty regularly.
I am now curious to see these! Have anything coming up?

Sound interpretation you’ve got there, I expect. It was my cousin, searching on Amazon for my thing and texting me, “you know...there’s a band that used that title...” that did it. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Well, that and iesus’s taunting laughter. 😉
Here's a review that was in The Irish Times...https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/art- ... -1.3613834

and here's info on the Derry show...

https://www.derryvoid.com/exhibitions/a ... red-thing/

Abridged has a Dominion issue coming up...info re the submission call will be on https://www.abridged.zone/ from Monday. I use Sisters lines/titles as a starting point. The shows/magazines are always very different...
The Chancer Corporation
Chaotican

That was fun to browse, thank you. I do see the borrowed phrases, and even some attached assumptions. Bold, abridged. ;) I’d check it out if I were near an exhibition.

(I’ll put a link to my novel in my profile, I suppose. Website section.)

Thanks for the assurance, or comradery in lack of it, at any rate!