Some Kind Of Demos

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
alanm
Amphetamine Filth

@FMAMMY released a compilation:

Also on Spotify and iTunes if you're into those.
Do you remember a time when angels... do you remember a time when fear?
In the days when I was stronger, in the days when you were here?
edu
Road Kill

Heard them this morning. I enjoy the new songs being released somehow. And they sound great.

What MrE will be thinking about this?
Regardless, why not release the songs while others can do that easily?

Mysteries of this millennium.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

who's this? i mean, fair enough but its a bit disrespectful to the band innit? these are brand new songs being worked out on the road for people who may (us)
or may not (pondlife, wankers etc) enjoy them; but who are certainly (apart from Us) unused to them. . its not the same as the "waiting for the next one to arrive" project where the songs had become familiar in their finished states over a number of years.
& on YooToob / Cunntify ffs....of all the possible platforms that are by definition diametrically opposed to Andrews political and artistic viewpoints, these are the fukking worst. like The Sun sponsorring the Liverpool team or some s**t.
[/my two penn'orth.]

AND all Siisters covers are by definition abominations. the vocaliist sounds like Jethro...
Last edited by eastmidswhizzkid on 27 Jun 2022, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Nonesuch
Road Kill

Maybe that's some over the top criticism of someone on this forum (pretty sure they're part of this gang) who's obviously got a lot of love for the new songs. And has undoubtedly spent a lot of time recording these tracks.

Whether or not they should be on YouTube is a much more complicated question.
Husek
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Nonesuch wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 14:02 Maybe that's some over the top criticism of someone on this forum (pretty sure they're part of this gang) who's obviously got a lot of love for the new songs. And has undoubtedly spent a lot of time recording these tracks.

eh idk how much of a problem that really, there are bad covers of worse songs on all platforms and no one seems to care.

@FMAMMY did a great job recording/playing/singing and picking the songs, and I'll absolutely add them to my daily rotation on Spotify, in the same fashion I have other sisters covers there.
I appreciate the fact that Tobias is singing in his own range, and he's not trying to emulate Von in any way, which leads me to my next point:

I don't get why people get upset/critical with the covers, they are their own thing, you can't blame hotdog for not being a hamburger if you know what I mean, they are different things, both are sandwiches sure, but they offer different experiences and arguably they are better enjoyed in different moods.

If I had to bet, the only reason people are more upset with this album than they were with other Sisters tribute albums (First and Last and Forever, Honoris, A Tribute for the Sisters etc etc) it's because of its content, the new songs.
Yeah we get it, we all want proper studio versions from the new songs, and von probably will do it, but we can't really turn bitter to the community for doing so, hate the game, not the player.
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Not listened to them besides Show Me (ie the first one), at the very least I'd be more inclined to call them Some Kind Of Cover Versions rather than demos. But whatever, no-one really cares, it's all rock n roll, even if it's someone else's rock n roll.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
eastmidswhizzkid

Nonesuch wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 14:02 Maybe that's some over the top criticism of someone on this forum (pretty sure they're part of this gang) who's obviously got a lot of love for the new songs. And has undoubtedly spent a lot of time recording these tracks.

i have no problem with anyone on this forum doing things like this for themselves or sharing this with us or other dedicated Sisters fan groups. i'm not telling anyone what to do or not. my opinion like i say.
it is the giving away of another artists new work on a platform which exixsts to make money for a nasty mutinational corporation using otherwise 'illegally' shared material which they have aquired for nothing whilst t using their considerable technological influence to criminalise otrher platforms doing the same for free.

Nonesuch
Road Kill

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 15:53 i have no problem with anyone on this forum doing things like this for themselves or sharing this with us or other dedicated Sisters fan groups. i'm not telling anyone what to do or not. my opinion like i say. merely the giving away of an artists new work on a platform which seeks to make money for a nasty mutinational corporation using otherwise 'illegally' shared material which they have aquired for nothing whilst t using their considerable technological influence to criminalise otrher platforms doing the same for free.
So reading between the not so subtle lines, I'm guessing you're not keen on these tracks being available on YouTube?

I kind of agree with you to some extent, although I'm not sure that the casual fan would even come across some obscure Sisters cover versions. But yes, I understand that if you searched for 'Eyes of Caligula' for example, you might find this track, which at first glance could appear to have something to do with The Sisters (although The Sisters of Mercy isn't actually mentioned). I think the song credits are a bit ambiguous to say the least - maybe be a bit more transparent, for want of a better word.
eastmidswhizzkid

Husek wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 14:49

I don't get why people get upset/critical with the covers, they are their own thing, you can't blame hotdog for not being a hamburger if you know what I mean, they are different things, both are sandwiches sure, but they offer different experiences and arguably they are better enjoyed in different moods.
i dont get upset by them because i dont listen to them . lifes too short to do all the things one loves without spending time on things one dislikes. so i dont do critical either as if i dont hear them theres nothin to criticize. i started to listen to this thinking it was a collection of cleaned up versions of the Sisters doing these songs. a mistake due to the collections title to be fair. for the record i dislike all the previous tribute collections.

however there are exceptions to most rules & i DO like Nouvelle vagues Marian. i LOVE the Smurphs. and i DO utterly f**king detest Lambchop. more than anyone else. there. a balance. :von:
Last edited by eastmidswhizzkid on 27 Jun 2022, 17:07, edited 2 times in total.

eastmidswhizzkid

Nonesuch wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 16:12
eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 15:53 i have no problem with anyone on this forum doing things like this for themselves or sharing this with us or other dedicated Sisters fan groups. i'm not telling anyone what to do or not. my opinion like i say. merely the giving away of an artists new work on a platform which seeks to make money for a nasty mutinational corporation using otherwise 'illegally' shared material which they have aquired for nothing whilst t using their considerable technological influence to criminalise otrher platforms doing the same for free.
So reading between the not so subtle lines, I'm guessing you're not keen on these tracks being available on YouTube?

I kind of agree with you to some extent, although I'm not sure that the casual fan would even come across some obscure Sisters cover versions. But yes, I understand that if you searched for 'Eyes of Caligula' for example, you might find this track, which at first glance could appear to have something to do with The Sisters (although The Sisters of Mercy isn't actually mentioned). I think the song credits are a bit ambiguous to say the least - maybe be a bit more transparent, for want of a better word.
simply that i guess. and i am coming from a position of being protective of the bands interests as i -maybe wrongly- would assume them to be.

Nonesuch
Road Kill

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 16:16
Nonesuch wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 16:12

simply that i guess. and i am coming from a position of being protective of the bands interests as i -maybe wrongly- would assume them to be.
Yes I agree, and I think you'll be 100% correct about the band's opinion too.

I think it's great that people want to do versions of the Sisters music, I've certainly done a bit of that myself, but I think the description and presentation of these tracks probably needs a bit of rewording.
Todashi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

To be honest, I think probably the thing to do here would be check in with Ben via Facebook or whatever, just to check this doesn't interfere in some way with some plans Von may have.

Like, it's highly likely these songs will never be released by the Sisters. That's just based on history. However, in the unlikely event that there are some conversations going on behind the scenes we're not aware of, it's probably better something as polished as this isn't out there, potentially damaging the commercial value of what Von has to sell. These aren't live clips recorded on phones, they're something else. Like, YouTube is the natural home of home-made and amateur media production - Spotify and Apple Music? Not so much. Putting them there implies earning cash from them.

Like, on one hand, well done to the guy who made them. They're technically interesting and fun. On the other . . . . not cool to step too directly on the band's toes.

Unless he's already checked with them and been told it's not a big deal?
Todashi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I'd also add that I'm aware of Tobias' work and up until now I've thought of it as kinda cool. Homage etc.

"Oh look, some dude on the internet has produced clear sounding versions of one or two of the new tracks. That's neat."

An entire album of other people's work uploaded to commercial platforms, complete with copyright statements feels entirely different. If I was Von, I'd have a strong opinion about this. Personally, I'd be surprised if Tobias doesn't hear from him or someone close to him in the next 24 hours. If he hasn't already.
Nonesuch
Road Kill

As much as I'm very much in favour of people carrying the torch for the Sisters, there is something problematic about the YouTube descriptions of the tracks.

It makes it look like they've been provided by a record company (intentionally or otherwise), especially with the use of the 'phonographic copyright symbol'.
Provided to YouTube by Record Union

Eyes of Caligula · Tobias Forsner

Some kind of demos 2009-2022

℗ 2022 Tobias Forsner

Released on: 2022-06-27

Producer: Tobias Forsner
Composer: Andrew Eldritch
Composer: Ben Christo
Composer: Dylan Smith
Lyricist: Andrew Eldritch

Auto-generated by YouTube.
Nonesuch
Road Kill

Although the fact that these are on Apple Music with the same 'official' credits is confusing to say the least!

Has this actually been authorised?!
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

disrespectful? Simply do not take it personal. So many darklings have done covers. whats the point? Did Dolly like Jolene?
Like and listen or dislike and hide in the echo chamber. your choice

almost forgot, Billie Eilish should do torch
love is just a shot away
edu
Road Kill

I have been enjoying the songs the whole day
and will continue doing so
that’s all that matters
i love and enjoy sisters…all phases…all records…all songs….all covers…. and this is what matters to me
road_kill
Road Kill

Tonight Matthew I'm going to be a c**t.
NhDNlkYcIc
czuczu
Overbomber

I'm not a fan of them but he's providing credit to the correct people where 99% don't bother, I'm not sure what the problem is :/
GC
Slight Overbomber

Maybe AE will now reform The Sisterhood and cover them all.
eastmidswhizzkid

czuczu wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 21:47 I'm not a fan of them but he's providing credit to the correct people where 99% don't bother, I'm not sure what the problem is :/
i'm not sure there is one Stu. certainly my opinion gives me no problems & is there to be ignored if it causes anyone else a problem. but feel free to blame me if others chose to create a problem about..........................................................................................................................ANYTHING. anything at all.
i am happy to help.
your faithful fwend. :twisted:

Wilkstein
Road Kill

Nonesuch wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 18:30 Although the fact that these are on Apple Music with the same 'official' credits is confusing to say the least!

Has this actually been authorised?!
Of course it hasn't been authorised.
FMAMMY
Road Kill

Hi,
thanks for listening to Some kind of demos!

I used the word demos in the title because I know I'm no professional producer, I'm not much of a musician but I try my best until the recording sounds ok at least in my own ears. I called it "Some kind of" just to pay homage to Sisters without using the words Sisters of mercy. I could have named it A slight case of demos/covers or Some coverdemos wander by mistake but I didn't, at least not on this release ;) With hindsight I could have added my name or the word tribute on the cover or in the album title because I never thought of fooling anyone this is a release by the band but I guess most people hear within seconds that it's not the band themselves. I just tried to make an early80s Sisters-inspired albumcover.

I've had some comments on youtube where people were asking me about releasing the songs on Spotify. I thought of it a while and came to the conclusion: why not? If anyone enjoys these recordings then great, otherwise listen to Sisters or whatever you want to listen to.

I haven't asked the band but I asked Record union's customer service this:

Q: "Hello! i know it's ok to upload covers without permission but is it ok to upload covers of songs that the original artist have only played live and haven't released officially?"

A: "Yes, it's alright to upload a cover song of a song that only has been played live and haven't released officially. Just make sure to add the correct information in the contributor section and add the original artist."

So I entered all information in the form. Song title, composer, producer and everything. I agree that the information on especially youtube is ambigous. If I had any control of the informationtext and title on youtube I would have added Artist in the title and not just the title of the song. I would write "Artist: " just like "Producer: " and "Composer: ". I can't edit that information now.

If I'd ever consider releasing some vinyl or CD I know I need an OK from the one who owns the music.

I know I won't make any money on these recordings. I paid 26 USD for the first year and then it's 16 USD per year. If I get 5 USD per year for the streams I would be surprised.

For a band that haven't released an album for over 30 years, get their money from royalties, tours and merch I hope they're ok if a fan release their unreleased material and think "Let the old fart have a little fun". I don't think that I have hurt the brand Sisters of mercy but if Von or anyone contacts me about deleting the material I'm ready to hear any explanation why.
Master Margarita
Amphetamine Filth

Great answer. I’ve enjoyed the covers. Thank you.
When was the last time you cut the catwalk caviar?
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

FMAMMY, it sounds like you have observed the rules carefully. I'm listening to them now and really enjoying them.
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...