recommended E reader

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
primasvisage
Road Kill

can anyone recommend an E reader? using an Amazon Paper White at the moment, but been getting away from Amazon generally and this one not convincing...
thought I would try my local library for content and so won't need to access my Amazon liscenced library.
any thoughts welcome
ongoinging
geoff2k
Road Kill

This is probably overkill for what you are asking for, but I have recently been using a Remarkable 2 graphics tablet, both for note-taking (I used to carry around paper notebooks), and for e-book reading. It supports EPUB and PDF files, but does not support Kindle DRM. While reading on the RM2 you can also use your stylus to take notes, highlight, etc.

The refresh rate of the RM2 for ebook reading is a little slower than other dedicated e-readers that I have used, but I'm enjoying being able to annotate books and take notes about them on the same device.
Pista
Cureboi

Hello @geoff2k & welcome to :hl:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
geoff2k
Road Kill

Pista wrote: 24 May 2023, 20:15 Hello @geoff2k & welcome to :hl:
Thanks! Haven't noticed an "introductions" thread yet, so I thought I'd dive right in! :von:
Incoming!
Amphetamine Filth

primasvisage wrote: 24 May 2023, 11:55 can anyone recommend an E reader? using an Amazon Paper White at the moment, but been getting away from Amazon generally and this one not convincing...
thought I would try my local library for content and so won't need to access my Amazon liscenced library.
any thoughts welcome
Like a proper lady, I reverted back to physical books - love the smell, the feel. I just bought a book on the TSOM from Amazon.co.uk. The postage alone - good Lord above.

So basically I've been extremely unhelpful for you. :innocent:
This place is death with walls
primasvisage
Road Kill

Like a proper lady, I reverted back to physical books - love the smell, the feel. I just bought a book on the TSOM from Amazon.co.uk. The postage alone - good Lord above.

[/quote]

think I've heard said about a recent american TSOM book, so wandering local would have, could have saved postage but heightened potential rumour/bias effect. what to do?
keep smelling and feeling those old school texts?
or go straight for cinema?
I recently read the PDF outtakes to a TSOM book (that same one?) reviewed in the FAZ (without any keen insight), and I found those PDF "notes" to be HIGHLY informative/entertaining. more so than the "book" proper, which I have only perused.
so dunno? were we talking about equals we might have room for a debate.
when I got my first Kindle, I looked to enhance my scope by getting things to read on it that I wouldn't otherwise, which I found to be limited. magazines/newspapers on there don't work for me.....and I came across nothing which was fitted and have a somewhat haphazard but rich accumulation on there now, even as I am looking to go more access all sources.
ongoinging
primasvisage
Road Kill

geoff2k wrote: 24 May 2023, 19:36 This is probably overkill for what you are asking for, but I have recently been using a Remarkable 2 graphics tablet, both for note-taking (I used to carry around paper notebooks), and for e-book reading. It supports EPUB and PDF files, but does not support Kindle DRM. While reading on the RM2 you can also use your stylus to take notes, highlight, etc.

The refresh rate of the RM2 for ebook reading is a little slower than other dedicated e-readers that I have used, but I'm enjoying being able to annotate books and take notes about them on the same device.
thanks! the refresh rate / page turning stickingon my Kindle is what has gotten me irked and umpfed lately (previously it was the sharpness of the font, which with backlighting I guess is a problem?) and I don't do much more than highlight so maybe too much but I'll check it out. I like dedicated devices as opposed to All-in_Onesies, but hey depending on the feel and smell of the thing I am wont to skip over marketing machinery and go straight to the tool.
ongoinging
Incoming!
Amphetamine Filth

primasvisage wrote: 25 May 2023, 14:04 Like a proper lady, I reverted back to physical books - love the smell, the feel. I just bought a book on the TSOM from Amazon.co.uk. The postage alone - good Lord above.

think I've heard said about a recent american TSOM book, so wandering local would have, could have saved postage but heightened potential rumour/bias effect. what to do?
keep smelling and feeling those old school texts?
or go straight for cinema?
I recently read the PDF outtakes to a TSOM book (that same one?) reviewed in the FAZ (without any keen insight), and I found those PDF "notes" to be HIGHLY informative/entertaining. more so than the "book" proper, which I have only perused.
so dunno? were we talking about equals we might have room for a debate.
when I got my first Kindle, I looked to enhance my scope by getting things to read on it that I wouldn't otherwise, which I found to be limited. magazines/newspapers on there don't work for me.....and I came across nothing which was fitted and have a somewhat haphazard but rich accumulation on there now, even as I am looking to go more access all sources.
[/quote]

:( Yeah. I feel extremely stupid. I just followed a link that referenced that book: "Paint My Name in Gold and Black: The Rise of the Sisters of Mercy" Took me to Amazon.co.uk. So I purchased. Without research. The same with me buying a car. (Though i do ask other auto geeks if the car was a good deal and well made etc) Yep, It's available in US. I don't have children but I bet the difference in cost would put one through college in the US. :lol:

So in the end. I did help you on your journey to finding a new E Reader. :eek:
This place is death with walls
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

No one can read big E’s mind.

I’d recommend bribing him with vodka and cranberry
Goths have feelings too
primasvisage
Road Kill

paint it black wrote: 25 May 2023, 19:47 No one can read big E’s mind.

I’d recommend bribing him with vodka and cranberry
read his mind?! I can barely engage using this interface
ongoinging