Heartland Forum Index
       FAQ      Rules      Search      Paypal Donation      Photo Gallery      Sisters Wiki   
   Register · Profile · Log in to check your private messages · View New Posts · Usergroups · Memberlist · Statistics  
   Follow us on   Twitter    Facebook · Log in  
Nine while Nine demo!?!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

PostPost #1  Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Nine while Nine demo!?! Reply with quote Back to top

see mr marx's post here

i asked him to clarify his comment about a demo of "9 while 9" that he made on the above-mentioned thread... i thought his reply was worth a thread of its own as it might start a little discussion Surprised

it appears there is another FALAA-era demo track that has yet to see the light of day entitled 'Child Of Light' Wink

Quote:
I wasn't been deliberately provocative - I have often wondered how the 'Red Skies' song leaked out on bootleg and naturally assumed if it was doing the rounds then the Nine while Nine version recorded at the same time was out there too.

It had the working title 'Child Of Light' and contained a line which mentions 'the children of the dust..' When we were deciding on a title for FALAA I pitched that one in even though it didn't seem likely the lyric would surface on the finished version. Quite reasonably the Von pointed out that we were over egging the 'something of something' being called the Sisters of Mercy after all.

I think I mentioned nabbing some of the words for a later Ghost dance song (A Deeper Blue) on the www.ghostdance.co.uk recording diaries.

lordy Surprised Cool
the cake is a lie
Lowrider
Road Kill

PostPost #2  Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

well, I've never heard that, sorry to be unhelpful -- but I was amused to see that even fellow band members called AE 'The Von'. Laughing
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

PostPost #3  Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Nine while Nine demo!?! Reply with quote Back to top

Quiff Boy wrote:
see mr marx's post here

i asked him to clarify his comment about a demo of "9 while 9" that he made on the above-mentioned thread... i thought his reply was worth a thread of its own as it might start a little discussion Surprised

it appears there is another FALAA-era demo track that has yet to see the light of day entitled 'Child Of Light' Wink

Quote:
I wasn't been deliberately provocative - I have often wondered how the 'Red Skies' song leaked out on bootleg and naturally assumed if it was doing the rounds then the Nine while Nine version recorded at the same time was out there too.

It had the working title 'Child Of Light' and contained a line which mentions 'the children of the dust..' When we were deciding on a title for FALAA I pitched that one in even though it didn't seem likely the lyric would surface on the finished version. Quite reasonably the Von pointed out that we were over egging the 'something of something' being called the Sisters of Mercy after all.

I think I mentioned nabbing some of the words for a later Ghost dance song (A Deeper Blue) on the www.ghostdance.co.uk recording diaries.

lordy Surprised Cool

...and what are our possibilities to listen to this song please,
what do we have to do?
i just feel ready to do almost(!!) anything..... haloooooooo.....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hallucienate
Overbomber

PostPost #4  Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Nine while Nine demo!?! Reply with quote Back to top

sunset yellow wrote:
...and what are our possibilities to listen to this song please,
what do we have to do?
i just feel ready to do almost(!!) anything..... haloooooooo.....

yes, don't make me start waving around this Red Star Upgrade thingy It wasn't me...
Petseri
Overbomber

PostPost #5  Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Is it time to dust off Robin's email address and drop him a note to see if he can offer any insight?

Martin
Dan
Slight Overbomber

PostPost #6  Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Robin won't have it or he'd have mentioned it along with all the other rare stuff you weren't allowed to have.

Dammit Quiffy, you should have told Mr Marx that "Yes, we do have a copy but the quality is a bit poor and can I have a nice new copy please Mr Marx Sir." Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Surprised Laughing Very Happy
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

PostPost #7  Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dan wrote:
Robin won't have it or he'd have mentioned it along with all the other rare stuff you weren't allowed to have.

Dammit Quiffy, you should have told Mr Marx that "Yes, we do have a copy but the quality is a bit poor and can I have a nice new copy please Mr Marx Sir." Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Surprised Laughing Very Happy

daaargh! you're right... i wasn't quick thinking enough Sad Laughing
the cake is a lie
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

PostPost #8  Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, this is quite exciting, isn't it? I wouldn't know whether Gary would have a copy himself, whether he keeps this kind of memorabilia at all. I wouldn't blame him if he didn't, not least since if it was well known some nutter might pop over his fence with a balaclava and a jiffy bag one night. In a way it's nice to know that there's stuff out there we may never get our hands on. Not to say that I wouldn't love to hear the James Ray version of This Corrosion etc, but still, we don't want to explode all the mysteries at once, do we?

Sounds like a nice chap, this Mr Marx. Next time you see him, you can tell him from me that I always MUCH preferred side two of FALAA.

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
RobF
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

PostPost #9  Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Surely everyone prefers side two Confused

dear lord, i hope there are no "Side oners" (as I like to call them) out there, unhealthy little beasts. Mr. Green
hallucienate
Overbomber

PostPost #10  Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

RobF wrote:

dear lord, i hope there are no "Side oners" (as I like to call them) out there, unhealthy little beasts. Mr. Green
We are not worthy! We are not worthy!
good to see you again

dedicated side twoer myself Very Happy
aaron_quinton
Banned

PostPost #11  Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

hallucienate wrote:
RobF wrote:

We are not worthy! We are not worthy!
good to see you again

dedicated side twoer myself Very Happy
well, dedicated new albumer here...
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

PostPost #12  Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've definitely heard rumours of side one-ers. Apparently you can tell them by their smell...or was it that they floated? I can't quite remember...

James Blast
Banned

PostPost #13  Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

My initiation to FALAA land was getting it from my friend at the local library who worked in the music section, she used to let me see what had been bought but not catalogued and if there was anything I fancied I was free to take it, tape it and return it ASAP. FALAA fell into that category, so I nipped up the road, taped it onto a TDK C-90 and returned it all inside an hour. It has always sounded like one side of a tape to me.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

PostPost #14  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

James Blast wrote:
My initiation to FALAA land was getting it from my friend at the local library who worked in the music section, she used to let me see what had been bought but not catalogued and if there was anything I fancied I was free to take it, tape it and return it ASAP. FALAA fell into that category, so I nipped up the road, taped it onto a TDK C-90 and returned it all inside an hour. It has always sounded like one side of a tape to me.

but did you not find that the tape missed the last few seconds of SKOS as its just a tad too long? mine always did (oddly enough i got that from the local library's music dept too!) Surprised Laughing
the cake is a lie
Dan
Slight Overbomber

PostPost #15  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Mine fit on one side of a tape with just seconds to spare.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

PostPost #16  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

i think i must have had a longer starting-gap at the start of side 1 and the start of side 2.. Laughing

incidentally, when you play vinyl can you sometimes here a "ghost" version of the track itself? its very quiet and starts milliseconds before the real one?!? its noticable on my FALAA album because of the piano chord at the start of black planet...

i have a few other albums that do that too Surprised Question Wierded Out
the cake is a lie
Dan
Slight Overbomber

PostPost #17  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quiff Boy wrote:
incidentally, when you play vinyl can you sometimes here a "ghost" version of the track itself? its very quiet and starts milliseconds before the real one?!? its noticable on my FALAA album because of the piano chord at the start of black planet...

I've noticed that effect on tape, because it's recorded magnetically and it bleeds through from one wind of tape to the next, but I've not noticed it on vinyl.
hallucienate
Overbomber

PostPost #18  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quiff Boy wrote:
James Blast wrote:

but did you not find that the tape missed the last few seconds of SKOS as its just a tad too long? mine always did (oddly enough i got that from the local library's music dept too!) Surprised Laughing

funny, I was gonna mention that too, but I don't wanna be known as a trainspotter It wasn't me... It wasn't me...

When I retaped the album on the same tape I managed to fit the ending in. Rolling Eyes
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

PostPost #19  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

hallucienate wrote:
When I retaped the album on the same tape I managed to fit the ending in. Rolling Eyes
Strangely enough I had the same thing. It must be because the tape stretches slightly over time.
Planet Dave
Overbomber

PostPost #20  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

RobF wrote:

Amphetamine Logic? One of their best.

But otherwise, yeah, fair point.
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

PostPost #21  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

On weird tape-effects...in my taping days, once or twice I had the unnerving phenomenon where for a few seconds what's on side two can be heard 'underneath' what's on side one. It''s very odd, although I believe that this kind of overdubbing later caught on with popular beat combos such as the Babes of Sugar. Or something.

Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

PostPost #22  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

on further investigation, my vinyl copy of the cure's "disintegration" album does that too - you can hear the intro to the first track begin "in the background" a split second before it really starts...

odd Wierded Out

i seem to recall this happening on my old deck too, so its not just my turntable being wierd Rolling Eyes
the cake is a lie
Gottdammerung
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

PostPost #23  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

markfiend wrote:
hallucienate wrote:
Strangely enough I had the same thing. It must be because the tape stretches slightly over time.

Sure does... luckily I came across a Professional Walkman recently and its got tape pitch on it! Means I can speed up or slow down depending on what state the tapes in..

(My old tape deck when I first got into the SIsters was playing too fast... my horror on getting a CD player, when I realised what Speed Lucretia actually plays at!!

Soon got used to it though!!)

Hunter S. Thompson
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

PostPost #24  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quiff Boy wrote:
on further investigation, my vinyl copy of the cure's "disintegration" album does that too - you can hear the intro to the first track begin "in the background" a split second before it really starts...

odd Wierded Out

i seem to recall this happening on my old deck too, so its not just my turntable being wierd Rolling Eyes
It could be magnetic bleed-through on the master tape! Laughing
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

PostPost #25  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

MrChris wrote:
On weird tape-effects...in my taping days, once or twice I had the unnerving phenomenon where for a few seconds what's on side two can be heard 'underneath' what's on side one.

And as it would be playing backwards I'd always assumed it was the band trying to entice me into satanic worship and suchlike.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Heartland Forum Index -> Sisters Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
 Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: