what was your first "proper" gig

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

dark's record shopping thread brought up "live and dangerous" by thin lizzy which took me way back to 1983 and thin lizzy's farewell "thunder and lightning" tour.i was a little twelve year old fledgling greb in his first(and last) denim jacket,accompanied by his mum(her favourite band).we had to sit in the balcony 'cause my mum was only 5foot1 but it was totally f**king awesome.like 'em or not phil lynott was a complete rock star-until he started taking smack,but don't get me started...

previously to this i had seen "the animal kwackers"-'BUNGO,RORY,TWANG AND BOOTS!'but due to the involuntary nature of this outing(li'l sisters b'day)it doesnt really count.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Therapy? at Norwich UEA in about 1996 when "Infernal Love" came out. Seen so many bands now I don't know who I have seen and who I haven't :D
Andie
Overbomber

ohh dear...

sad old git alert :lol:

The Clash in 1979...i had me bondage trousers and zippy jacket...tarten bum flap...Doc Martin Boots...and i was a cool and respectable 15 years young... :innocent: :innocent: :wink:
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
aims
Overbomber

First one I got dragged along to was The Christians a few years ago (saw them about a month ago for the second time at the Liverpool Philharmonic, they were excellent since they'd livened up with a couple of new younger musicians), but my first by choice was The Australian Pink Floyd Show at the Summer Pops (this'll be my 4th year seeing them).

However, neither of these are bands that I'm specifically into, so I guess my first "properly proper" gig will be when I go and see Eels in a few weeks. And then all my illusions about gigs will be shattered in August when I go to my first "properly properly proper" [Read: Sisters] gig.

Anyhow, enough of my bleary-eyed, childish, star-stricken blathering.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

My first one was... Err... Do festivals count too :)?

If so it was Torhout Werchter, I guess (back in 2000 I think)
Motz wrote:However, neither of these are bands that I'm specifically into, so I guess my first "properly proper" gig will be when I go and see Eels in a few weeks.
Saw Eels there Motz, they were very good (could have been the year after that one, though :roll:)
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

I haven't been to a gig, I'm a concert virgin.

I'm planning on making the Sisters my first.
vicus
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Back in 1979 it was Kiss (support: Iron Maiden) - well: I was 10 years old...
in 1987 I saw Red Lorry Yellow Lorry in Bremen.
Between these years there was only one concert I've seen and there's no excuse for seeing Shakatak.
"Am Anfang wurde das Universum erschaffen.
Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen."

http://www.poison-door.net/
James Blast
Banned

I've said it before, I'll say it again...
1. Greens Playhouse Glasgow, 1972, Mott The Hoople, support - SAHB
2. The 'Famous' Glasgow Apollo (same venue as above, just a name change), 1973, Mott The Hoople, support - Queen :eek:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Dave R

Easy one....

early 70's....

The Mighty SLADE......

cum on feel the noize....................................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
M . I . A .

On Patrol..............?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

not sure

gene pitney @ the queen liz hall, oldham circa 1987

oh yes! :von: :notworthy:

or maybe goodbye mr mackenzie at manc uni, 1989, (stood next to ian mcculloch!!)

or new model army, 1989 again - aroudn the time of their "thunder & consolation" album, also @ manc uni

i think :?
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

oh god, how embarassing, but...

All About Eve, supported by the Wonderstuff
Birmingham Powerhouse, 1987 (I think it was the Powerhouse, anyway)
Delilah

Turbonegro. Last week. The best thing I have ever seen and it made me forget about everything I have seen before. And I have seen plenty of bands! Starting with some punk festivals in still then communist Poland. And I was only 12 at the time ;)
Dave R

@ Laz

i bloody roadied for those feckers on that tour!!!!

Regan was a total bitch (as normal) and the Stuffies were just top lads...(as normal)

LSD Birmingham was the company, so i got to see all the crap, plus a few of me mates play!!!
M . I . A .

On Patrol..............?
Delilah

Dave R wrote:
Regan was a total bitch (as normal)
she is a lovely lady!!! I would not say a wrong word about her... :D
Andrew S
Slight Overbomber

My first gig of any description was Trio in some club in Hamburg in 1981. The one prefer to admit to was Peter Gabriel at the SECC, Glasgow in 1987. The sound was utter s**t due to the crappy venue but he did play Back In NYC during the set :notworthy:
vicus

Andrew S wrote:My first gig of any description was Trio in some club in Hamburg in 1981.
:eek: :notworthy:
"Am Anfang wurde das Universum erschaffen.
Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen."

http://www.poison-door.net/
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Well, I saw Status Quo at Lincoln Castle, but we were so far back, we only jsut were able to see the band (though nearly everyone in Lincoln could hear them, probably.)

My first -real- gig was seeing The Damned at the Lincoln Drill Hall, and my memories of that are just jumping around with twenty other people, ranging from 12 to 50-odd, and wondering why all the other people were just standing there doing nothing.

There was a goth with tons of fake hair that looked like tentacles who stood on my foot once with her very pointy high-heel, and the memory of Cap'n Sensible flashing his ass at the crowd, wearing a schoolgirl outfit and having whiskey poured down his throat.

Also, Dave Vanian making a big pose and inciting the entire hall to scream "Just for you! Here's a Love Song!", and Captain Sensible asking us to choose whether the last song was Happy Talk or Smash It Up.

*sigh* Was even better when at the end of the gig I got to chat with the support band AntiProduct, and my sister and I had to flee the area, because punk girls were starting to riot outside.
canon docre
Overbomber

I started in 85. And I started well. Alien Sex Fiend, the mighty Cramps and TSOM all that year.
But my first gig was Wall of Voodoo, whose "Flour idea" we deliberately stole just to surprise The Fields of The Nephilim at their first german appearance a bit later by looking already exactly like them. (ok, ok, apart from the neglectable fact, that 15-year-old-Teenager-girls were hiding in that ridiculously filthy spaghetti-western-outfit... :oops: )
steamhammerdave
Road Kill

The Beatles in 1964 at Llandudno Theatre
What are we gonna do now then?
Eat the phone book...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

lazarus corporation wrote:oh god, how embarassing, but...

Spooky. Same tour (probably):
All About Eve at Manchester Apollo, followed the same night by the Stuffies at Manchester Boardwalk. (Don't look for it, it's not there any more...)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Eva
Intercontinental Assassin

*Sigh* I'm bracing for embarassmment first:

Very first gig: Joan Baez with my parents in the early 80ies... And, no, my parents weren't hippies!

First gig on my own (read: without protecting parents in my neck):
Talk Talk in 84 or 85. :oops:

First proper (tastewise) gigs: The Damned, Depeche Mode and Fad Gadget in 85 IIRC. I still have photos somewhere from The Damned sound check, as a friend of mine and I bumped into them in a shop just behind the venue before the gig and asked them to take some pictures with my camera. 8)
You can't fix stupid.
Big Si
School Bully

lazarus corporation wrote:oh god, how embarassing, but...

Nah!

:oops: The Mi***on @ Newcastle City Hall March 1990 :oops:

Next - 8) :notworthy: Fields of the Nephilim @ Middlesbrough Town Hall, 2 days after my birthday July 1990 :notworthy: 8)
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
rian
Slight Overbomber

David Bowie. Glass spider tour. 1985. In Gothenburg/Sweden.

REM. I think it was 1987. Stockholm
I think someone set my soul alight
ruffers
Overbomber

Gary Numan Warriors Tour (the Mad Max phase) at the Ipswich Gaumont, 1983. I was 15 and went with my mate Ivan who's Dad drove us from Chelmsford, went to the pub, and then drove us back a bit more erratically :!:

I remember the support more, it was Tik & Tok.

Shortly after the one I think of as my first "real" gig, down the front standing and getting stuck in as opposed to sitting in the circle like the Numan one - Echo & The Bunnymen at Southend Cliffs Pavilion. Brilliant.
Chucking another log on
boudicca
Sister Midnight

After a lot of pleading from my friend, who liked them...

BIS, at the CCA, when I was 14.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :lol:

You remember, Glesga teen-C power sugar fuelled shouting. Big in Japan. :eek:
I was getting into Siouxsie at the time though, in my defence.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets