other favorite artists????

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Torch
Road Kill

What other bands/artists are people into? Please include the dirty little secrets because those are really the most fun...aren't they? :blush:

I'm reeaallyy bored so I'll start with a DLS - Neil Diamond - love that man and almost everything he has ever done! Scary I know. I get ragged on all the time for it. Even scarier still, when I was a little girl I thought he was cute in the jazz singer but thankfully those "cute" images were replaced last year when I saw him live and he made out with this woman for like 5 minutes!!!!!!! He's like 60! YUK!!!!!

What bands have people met/hung out with?
I've met a lot of bands but never the sisters :cry:
next week I get to meet Coldplay, Disturbed, Zack Wylde and a whole bunch of bands I've never heard of (anyone????) Non-point, Must, 3rd Strike, Hatebreed, Flaw - I don't know who these people are!

What was your first record/tape?
mine was David Bowie's - Let's dance

with imagination, anything is possible...
RobF
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

What other bands/artists are people into? Erm without doing an enourmous list the main ones would be: Public Enemy, Skinny Puppy, Rollins Band, Motorhead, Depeche Mode, The Fall, The Pistols/PIL, 242, Whitehouse, Cohen, Johnny Cash, Empirion, Siouxsie, Aphex Twin, Der Blutharsch, Lee Fields (blah blah goes on forever)
Had a couple of emmbarrassing encounters with the sisters whilst off my head, an even scarier encounter with Lemmy, and the occasional chat with bods from the Prodigy and PWEI through work, but not too many really.
Mickeys Disco hits :grin:
"...by the time I get to Arizona..."
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

What other bands/artists are people into? Erm

oh dear a huge list i'm afraid

genre's

classic, pop, g*th, punk, indie, mellow, oldies

but.....no

t*at in the hat,
no simple red t*at with the tooth
and sorry Pad no hairy dwarf either })

erm..

the sisters, the neph, christian death, creaming jesus, radiohead etc.....:von:

Abba of course :razz: :grin:
Goths have feelings too
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

What other bands/artists are people into?
now then.... tricky that one, but if i had to name my CURRENT 5 fave bands after the sisters it would be the chameleons, bowie, lee hazelwood, puressence & james

met? rosetta stone, the chameleons, dave gedge, a coupleof ex-members of the wedding present (darren belk & keith gregory), pete spiby from groop dogdrill, thats about it i think... hung out with? no one. i'm not a ligger :wink: :P

jesus. errr.... the first one i ever had was probably buddy holly's greatest hits (i loved peggy sue when i was about 10), but the first one i actually bought was quiet possibly first and last and always (oldham library had a really good music department and i got falaa from there and liked it so much i bought it :von: prior to that, i had just taped all sorts from there, so didnt need to buy anything }) )

<font size=1>[ This Message was edited by: Quiff Boy on Sep 9, 2002 11:04pm ]</font>
Ginger
Amphetamine Filth

Umm....Rammstein, Godhead, Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, The Union Underground, Alec Empire......

None, unless you count the Chameleons and some Danish goff band I met in Copenhagen whose name I couldn't even attempt to spell if I tried.

My memory doesn't go back that far. Possibly something by Adam and the Ants although I was pilfering Black Saddath albums from my brother at a very early age.

pikkrong
Overbomber

[quote]
On Sep 9, 2002 9:54pm, Torch wrote:

THE SISTERS OF MERCY, The Sisters Of Mercy, Sisters, The Sisterhood etc...
Siouxsie & The Banshees, Joy Division, Phillip Boa & The Voodooclub, Front 242, Rosetta Stone, Sex Gang Children, Xmal Deutschland, Skeletal Family, Alien Sex Fiend, London After Midnight, Depeche Mode, Switchblade Symphony, Kraftwerk, Death In June, Laibach, Inkubus Sukkubus, Duran Duran, Clan Of Xymox, The Crüxshadows, New Model Army, Vendemmian,The Merry Thoughts, Behind The Scenes, The Fall, Iggy Pop, Leather Nun, Vennaskond (an Estonian post-punk band), Hortus Musicus and Rondellus (2 Estonian bands making authentic medieval music), Deine Lakaien, Cassandra Complex, Die Krupps, Type O Negative (only album "Bloody Kisses" and a few other songs), Paradise Lost (only "One Second" and "Host"), Dead Can Dance, This Mortal Coil, Cocteau Twins, Tricky (the last 3 + Siouxsie and Xmal... are also great favs of my wife), Machine In The Garden, The Doors, Blondie... and many more... did I say The Sisters? :wink:

Do you mean greatest live-experiences? (Sorry if I don't understand everything OK)
For years it was New Model Army (in 1993) from one festival organized in Estonia from 1988 to... 1995?
There's not such kind of events here any more...
But NMA was really very powerful, even more (by my opinion) than Iggy Pop next year.
Very suggestive was Leather Nun in 1988(?) in the same fest.
2 years ago (in Leipzig, Germany, Wave-Gotik-Treffen fest) I saw accidentaly Sunshine Blind and it was fascinating.
There was also German EBM band Das Ich - very sick thing but their show was very impressive... Weird, sick and impressive...
In 1998 and 2001 Depeche Mode was in Estonia.
I saw them both times and both times the show satisfied me.
This year I saw finally THE SISTERS (at M'Era Luna).
Yeah... It was really great... far better others... I got nothing to say...
But I can't deny that Marc Almond was also a higher class... and London After Midnight was OK.

First tape?... Hard to say... When I was a teenager we share tapes with my brother... Maybe Alphaville in 1984?
But my first very own?... Maybe Judas Priest in 1987 ;D ?

<font size=1>[ This Message was edited by: pikkrong on Sep 10, 2002 12:27am ]</font>
zigeunerweisen

What other bands/artists are people into? Please include the dirty little secrets because those are really the most fun...aren't they? :blush:

Hmmm, too many bands to name, really, it would take me forever. Like everyone else, if i named about ten bands it would still leave out a hundred more i like. And different bands suit different moods
Me likes: classical, celtic, medieval, tribal, world/ethnic, ethereal sounds, melancholic, apocalyptical stuff, g*th, rock, some pop, some industrial etc. etc. etc.
Dirty secrets...hmm, again, waaaaay too many and even 'wayer' embarassing to tell you :wink:

None really

Europe's The Final Countdown :grin:

pikkrong
Overbomber

[/quote]

yeah, i remember very well when this song was popular ;D ;D ;D
me and some other metal-heads hated this :grin: :grin: :grin:
good old times :smile:
zigeunerweisen

On Sep 10, 2002 12:37am, pikkrong wrote:

yeah, i remember very well when this song was popular ;D ;D ;D
me and some other metal-heads hated this :grin: :grin: :grin:
good old times :smile:
[/quote]
Ahhhhh, i was just 9 and i used to love it
If you play it i will happily thing along :grin:
...the final countdooooowwwwwnnn
ahh, what is there not to like? :grin:
pikkrong
Overbomber

we were young fundamental fans of judas priest, manowar etc..
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ;D ;D ;D
that's why.
there's nothing to explain logically :smile:
Otto
Road Kill

Well, the main ones for me are: Muse (what a superb band!), Red Hot Chili Peppers, Motörhead, Rammstein, System of a down, Swans, Depeche Mode, Zakk Wylde's Black Label Society, Monster Magnet, Faith no more and the list goes on...

My most memorial meeting is definately the one with Michael Gira from the Swans after their performance here in Amsterdam (1996?1997?). That nite, I wore a Jim Morrison t-shirt. I asked Gira to sign it; he stared at my shirt and smiled at me. He wrote "I am Morrison - M. Gira" on my shirt :smile:

Made in Japan - Deep Purple, heard it for the first time when I was 10 years old.

Greetz from the Lowlandz, Otto.
nearmethexperience
Sarky Git

omg, loads 'n' loads 'n' loads, everything really, apart from fake jazz nonsense. currently it's NIN discografia.

ok, when i was very young, between college 'n' uni i took a break and worked in a shop called bootleggers, it was the northern version of r'soles if ya know/knew it. we sold cowboy boots, leather jackets, silly hats, american indian jewellry, the works. during my stint in the place i met: the quoirboys, guns 'n' roses, skid row, alice cooper, david bowie and reeves gorbels, status quo, the cult, and many many other w*nk rock groups i wouldn't even know the names of, oh, and frank bruno, ho hum.

i really can't remember, but it would be rather silly, can i say the first real record i bought was floodland :wink: lol
++++ All those of you who have tears, prepare to shed them now... ++++
lachert
Overbomber

tradicional jazz with peterson, hawkins, young, goodman on front.
a lot of 'heavy' & 'punk' bands till '88.
ramones, dead kennedys, nomeansno, kula shaker, slayer, acdc, motorhead, bowie, bauhaus.
Between new bands I like:
kula shaker, stereolab, sisters of mercy.

sisters of course & few gigs of nomeansno, oi polloi...a lot of punk & jazz gigs.

Many vinyls of my aunt....Afric Simone-the best of it
but my very own first tape??????
I was close to europe, but...
venom-black metal or welcome to hell?
halloween-walls of jericho?
metallica-ride the lighting?
.....something with that :smile:
We was creatures stright from hell })
long live rock'n'roll
RachRasp
Road Kill

Other Favorite Artists

Peter Murphy

Bands I've Met

The Fixx, The Moody Blues, Love and Rockets

First Album Ever Bought

The Steve Miller Band (I liked the Pegasus on the cover!)

First Song Ever Hooked On

David Bowie's "Fame"
Paradiso
Road Kill

I'm rubbish at modifying.

Bands into: Chameleons; Puressence; VAST; Muse; Curve; Rammstein; New Model Army; Godhead..these are what I'm tending to listen to at the moment. But I also like Sisters; m*****n; Rosetta Stone; Inkubus Sukubus; Danielle Dax; old gothy tat; Faith No More; Adam & The Ants; Tears for Fears; Soft Cell (anyone going to see them btw..?)

Hung out with: erm, only the Chameleons and then only at the Garage in London last year. We nicked their crisps and drank their beer. And I got a massive hug from Dave "God" Fielding.

s**t, I can't remember what the last question was... :???:
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Sisters, Suicide Commando, Zeromancer, Funker Vogt, Rammstein, Apocalyptica, Tiamat, Therion, Cradle of Filth (early stuff), Iron Maiden and most of the NWOBHM-stuff, Priest, Motörhead et al., And all pre-90's Black Metal Bands.

All pre-90's Black Metal bands (Cradle of Filth, Paradise Lost, Moonspell, Emperor, Within Temptation (yeah, they were black/death once!), Dimmu Borgir, Ancient Rites, Tiamat (id. WT), Grinning Ghoul, The Gathering( id. WT), etc...)

First record: Entombed 'Left Hand Path'
First tape: Europe 'The Final Countdown'
First CD: Belgian Asociality 'Astamblieft'

Cheerz,

IZZY.

-= Don't say it in German, say it in broken English =-

* Avoid Assumptions *

<font size=1>[ This Message was edited by: Izzy HaveMercy on Sep 14, 2002 6:26pm ]</font>
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

On Sep 9, 2002 9:54pm, Torch wrote:
What other bands/artists are people into? Gary Numan, NIN, Curve, Sulpher, Front Line Assembly, Die Krupps, Killing Joke, Nefilim/Nephilim, KoRn, Type-O, Ozzy/Sabbath, The M*****n, Cult, Cure, Siouxie, Paradise Lost, Motorhead, Nirvana, Alec Empire, Apoptygma Berzerk, Clan Of Xymox, Pixies, Velvet Acid Christ, Covenant, Girls Under Glass, Jane's Addiction, Massive Attack, Delerium, The Macc Lads, Eddie s**t, old-Metallica, Marilyn Manson, Napalm Death, GGFH, Prodigy, Soft Cell, Suicidal Tendancies, The Wildhearts, Skinny Puppy, Devin Townsend, Pantera, Sepultura, Machine Head, Anal Beard... I have very wide and diverse musical tastes!

Adam and Chris from The Sisters, Ned's Atomic Dustbin, Carter USM, Thousand Yard Stare, bloke from Mega City Four, Muttley McLad, Type O Negative signing session in Tower Records, bloke from Def Leppard, Tommy Vance (!), Rolf Harris.

I bought three in one go: The 'Grease' soundtrack, A Blondie best of, a pop hits compliation featuring tracks by The Bee Gees and Ian Dury amoungst others.

bar code
Road Kill

venom-black metal or welcome to hell?
;D ;D ;D

fantastic!

i remember a videoclip where Kronos was playing the bass guitar and his string broke - he looked at the guitar,looked at the camera, shrugged his shoulders and then continued playing!!!!

Thank you lachert for that memory! happy times...

<font size=1>[ This Message was edited by: bar code on Sep 14, 2002 9:15pm ]</font>
Justj0hn
Amphetamine Filth

The Swans, Foetus, Siouxsie And The Banshees, The
Chameleons, Einsturzende Neubauten, Skinny Puppy,
Dead Can Dance, Wolfgang Press, Throwing Muses,
Curve, Shriekback, The Cramps.....and many more.

Uhhh, in '01 I interviewed Jim Thirlwell(Foetus)face to
face. Hell of a nice guy, thankfully.....I've heard many
a horror story concerning difficult interviews with him.
Such was not the case....great guy.

Doesn't count as hanging out but last year I nervously
shook Michael Gira's hand(after mustering up enough
guts to approach him)and squeezed it so hard that I
felt his finger joints creak. Then I thanked him
for "creating at least 2 decades worth of the most
devastating noise on record.....". Very pleasant in
person.

Tanya Donelly back in '92....touring the U.S. for the
first time as Belly. Gave her a key chain with a coffin
hanging from it that contained a tiny little skeleton all
in the spirit of Halloween which was just around the
corner. Then I offered her a mint. She nearly took one
until she realized they were Altoids, the curiously strong
mint. "Oh, uhhh.....nevermind, those make me high."
she said.

At the unripened age of 10, Close Encounters
soundtrack on cassette...played it constantly in the
car. Spent the bulk of the 80s musically devoid....only
2 cassettes I intermittently owned and borrowed were
Sweet Dreams(Are Made Of This)[Eurythmics] and
She's So Unusual[Cyndi Lauper]. Had a huge crush on
both Annie and Cyndi at a year shy of being
a "teenager".

Justj0hn.......

<font size=1>[ This Message was edited by: Justj0hn on Sep 15, 2002 9:01am ]</font>
HisWimmNess
Amphetamine Filth

<b> other bands? </b>
you mean there are other bands out there? Man, I sure have to check it sometime :grin:
Mainly 80's stuff like the Jesus and Mary Chain, Anne Clark, Fad Gadget, ...

<b> meetings with bands? </b>
Nope, can't say I have...

<b> First record ever bought </B> Temple of Love 12"

<b> Latest hooked on? </b> "Assereje" from "Las Ketchup". Hey, sue me :grin:
nostalgy ain't what it used to be
Dee
Road Kill

Other favorite artists? Depeche Mode, The The, The Chameleons, Curve, Bjork, Peter Murphy, Morrissey, Sting...I could go on and on!

Who have I met/hung out with?
Sadly, no one. :cry:

What was my first tape?
No way am I revealing that! It's way too embarrassing! ;D
Lars Svensson
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

As Dee says, "I could go on and on"...But I'll give it a go...

Faves other than Sisters:

Pistols,
JAMC,
Bauhaus,
Nephilim (later stuff),
M*****n (yeah, yeah, whatever ;D ),
Dead Can Dance,
Bark Psychosis,
Talk Talk/Mark Hollis (later stuff is sublime, no argument!),
Curve (Doppelganger, Cuckoo...classics!),
Matt Johnson/the The,
PiL,
Joy Division,
New Order (except their mid-period - Low Life etc - stuff which is cr*p, though it hurts me to say so! :roll: ),
American Music Club/Mark Eitzel (if you've not heard 'owt by this lot, get some - recommended purchases are AMC: Mercury, Eitzel: 60 Watt Silver Lining)
BeachBuggy (cool as f**k)
The Fall

Loads more, but the above are usually not very far from my CD player...

Dirty secrets: :grin:

Soft spot for A-Ha (melancholy ago=go)
Bryan Adams (cuz he was first ever tape I ever bought and first ever gig I ever went to)
Dire Straits (yeah, I'm a 70s/80s kid...gotta problem with that??) ;-)

The above don't get played quite as often as the rest, I'll admit...but I cannot deny that they feature in my list...hem hem... :roll:

And no, not met any bands or whatever, except for completely and utterly failing to recognise My Hero Mr Eldritch at the bar at the York gig (he so small!!!!), but that has been documented elsewhere...*sigh* :blush:

So there you go... :wink:
Amused to death...
RobF

Oh yeah, I forgot the self humiliation aspect of the original thread question. Well, I still have a huge soft spot For the Mighty Maiden :blush:

Up the Irons, you never forget your first love ;D
dead stars

Amongst too many, ever tried Violent Femmes?
I also like Indian music - from India.

None you know or I'd like to reveal. })

First tape: a lousy compilation featuring "Careless Whisper" - George Michael and "99 red baloons" - Nena (?).

Well, I was 10.

bar code
Road Kill

"99 red baloons" - Nena (?).
99 red balloons/luftbalons! what a class song! thing i remember about Nena was her armpit hair...had nightmares about that...
i can't help it about the shape i'm in, i can't sing, i ain't pretty and my legs are thin.
but don't ask me what i think of you,
i might not give an answer that you want me tooo...