Debit card madness.. what would you do..

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Gottdammerung
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

OK, on Tuesday.. ordered digital SLR from website, money was set aside from my account as is the norm for debit card payments..

Thursday night, money is returned to my account and not taken off as would be expected..

Friday, checked with ParcelForce, camera is set for delivery on Monday morning..

So what to do? Do you think the money will be taken out my account later or if there is a fúck up shall I keep the money..

I emailed the company explaining what was going on and they just said my parcel had been sent and nothing else..

Would be sweet to get a £650 camera for feck all...

/me crosses lots of fingers..
You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye

Hunter S. Thompson
Debaser
Overbomber

Personally, I would take out the money and put it somewhere else, just in case....if nothing is said after 6 months, I think I am right in thinking, that it's yours
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
nigel d
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

sometimes a debit card transaction is returned to the account after the initial process so that the card company / bank knows its there when the transaction is processed .so the yorkshire bank tell me. happened to me a couple of times . once took a month to finally dissappear.really pisses me off too.
i am more likely to release an album before the sisters
Gottdammerung

nigel d wrote:sometimes a debit card transaction is returned to the account after the initial process so that the card company / bank knows its there when the transaction is processed .so the yorkshire bank tell me. happened to me a couple of times . once took a month to finally dissappear.really pisses me off too.
Yeah, I thought it might be that..

oh well, i'll just wait a couple of months to see what happens..
You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye

Hunter S. Thompson
nigel d
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

its as if they are initailly checking that the funds are available for the purchase?
i am more likely to release an album before the sisters
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

I would phone them again and ask what their policy is on taking payment from customers accounts - I've never experienced the money being taken and then put back when I've ordered something about the same price as your camera
Gottdammerung

Brideoffrankenstein wrote:I would phone them again and ask what their policy is on taking payment from customers accounts - I've never experienced the money being taken and then put back when I've ordered something about the same price as your camera

Well it wasn't taken out as such, more "set aside" like money normally is when making a debit card payment, prior to its actual being taken out.

I did email them but didn't get much response, and its a French company so I'm loathe to phone them... (me=skinflint..)

Hunter S. Thompson
missus scotty
Road Kill

nigel d wrote:its as if they are initailly checking that the funds are available for the purchase?
The debit card system/maestro some times calls through for authorisation from the bank. This makes the transaction pending i.e it affects your available funds but not the balance as the transaction is not complete. Depending on when the retailer does their banking the transaction will then complete on your account.
I wouldn't move the funds elsewhere, if the payment does come out and you miss it for some reason or another and it makes you overdrawn you just get bank charges which would be a pain.
Never tie your shoe lace in a revolving door