Free Sisters Redux @ Astoria? Vote & Discussion!

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the mammoth 2006 25th Anniversary tour.

Should The Sisters do a free concert for fans @ The Astoria?

Yes ~ the sound was awful and ruined it for me
45%
No ~ the show was excellent enough overall to satisfy
20%
Yes ~ but only cos i want a free show, The Sisters do rule
35%

Total votes: 40
Hybrid
Road Kill

I really dont understand why this problem of sound keeps coming up during a Sisters tour, Its not like the band are giving a half arsed performance, they obviously give it their all so what the hell is going on!. The exact same problems re quiet vocals and overall lack of sound were much talked about during the last tour and Eldritch then as now was aware that a lot of fans were commenting on this. The problems of sound are not down to him but to the people who are employed by the band to make sure they shine as they should on stage. I would have thought knowing Vons much publicised control of anything TSOM that this problem would be well and truly taken care of by professional sound men, Its crap really that the bands reputation is being hauled over the coals like this when its not down to them
If your mother doesnt love you
The river bed might
markreed
Amphetamine Filth

Hybrid wrote:Its crap really that the bands reputation is being hauled over the coals like this when its not down to them
Yes it is. The band hire a sound engineer and crew to provide sound, lights, smoke and mirrors. If it sounds crap, the sound engineer has an awful lot of input into that.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

And it's a fact of life that if a reviewer from a newspaper or a magazine hears crap sound, s/he'll say it was crap. Blaming engineers and so forth is all very well, but the buck has to stop somewhere.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
iesus
Overbomber

Have you ever been in Ancient Theatre of Epidavros?
If not, i can assure you that you can hear the sound of a small rock falling into ground even if you are seating in the last seat in the upper section when it is full of people...And all this without sound engineer :!: :!: :!: :wink:

Have you ever been in a concert in Sporting Arena Athens??
If not, i can describe it like. The best sound engineer in the Galaxy and the best sound machines can not make the sound average... :lol: :lol: :lol:

So, don't blame so much these guys.... 8)
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Mickpit
Road Kill

iesus wrote:Have you ever been in Ancient Theatre of Epidavros?
If not, i can assure you that you can hear the sound of a small rock falling into ground even if you are seating in the last seat in the upper section when it is full of people...And all this without sound engineer :!: :!: :!: :wink:

If not, i can describe it like. The best sound engineer in the Galaxy and the best sound machines can not make the sound average... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Beautifully put! :notworthy:
I'm not young enough to know everything
Hybrid
Road Kill

CarpetKisser;-) wrote:
iesus wrote:Have you ever been in Ancient Theatre of Epidavros?

Beautifully put! :notworthy:
Ok then, im quite prepared to accept that its not down to the engineers or the accoustics of the venue, Ive been to countless concerts at that venue (its more like the size of the changing rooms at a sports arena than the sports arena itself) and have never experienced a problem with the sound........Bloody hell!! it must mean the band are s**t then, What reason can there be otherwise?
The river bed might
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

they're using s**t equipment

its all at least 10 years old. nurse is always trying to get von to upgrade. it currently takes up at least half a transit van and takes ages to drag around and set up... they could fit everything they currently have onto a single mac g5, and then have a second one for backup.

its von's dependency on old technology that's dragged them down for a long time now. whether its a "comfort factor" thing, or he's just too mean to invest in some new kit, his reluctance to bring their kit up to date means that it just aint powerful enough to do the job anymore.

the manchester academy gig was woefully quiet, yet i went to see killing joke the next day (albeit at the academy 2) and my ears were almost bleeding by the end of it.

he's stuck in a rut, convinced that he's the ultimate in rock and roll and that the dok is the last word in firepower, when in truth its a very old collection of wires and beige boxes that desperately need an overhaul.

the sound at the astoria was constantly feeding back because they had turned von's mike up too much to counter the fact that his voice is still f**ked after barca.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Hybrid
Road Kill

Quiff Boy wrote:they're using s**t equipment

its all at least 10 years old. nurse is always trying to get von to upgrade. it currently takes up at least half a transit van and takes ages to drag around and set up... they could fit everything they currently have onto a single mac g5, and then have a second one for backup.

its von's dependency on old technology that's dragged them down for a long time now. whether its a "comfort factor" thing, or he's just too mean to invest in some new kit, his reluctance to bring their kit up to date means that it just aint powerful enough to do the job anymore.

the manchester academy gig was woefully quiet, yet i went to see killing joke the next day (albeit at the academy 2) and my ears were almost bleeding by the end of it.

he's stuck in a rut, convinced that he's the ultimate in rock and roll and that the dok is the last word in firepower, when in truth its a very old collection of wires and beige boxes that desperately need an overhaul.

the sound at the astoria was constantly feeding back because they had turned von's mike up too much to counter the fact that his voice is still f**ked after barca.
That explains a lot!. Thanks for that. C,mon Eldritch! time to put your money where your mouth isnt !!
The river bed might
Mickpit
Road Kill

Hybrid wrote: C,mon Eldritch! time to put your money where your mouth isnt !!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mickpit
Road Kill

Quiff Boy wrote:they're using s**t equipment

- whether its a "comfort factor" thing, or he's just too mean to invest in some new kit, his reluctance to bring their kit up to date means that it just aint powerful enough to do the job anymore.
I think, pre-next tour / Von's retirement fund - he needs to inform the fans thats he's invested in some 21stC technology to win back the excitement and anticipation of the fans. - I don't go for the comfort factor idea. Looking through many of the photo's / reviews / worldwide opinions (good and bad) of this tour, it reaks of absolute minimal financial outlay, from merchandising through to technology. A tour not funded by a record company is admirable, possibly risky, but it seems a bit smash and grab IMO and puts his future retirement fund at risk. It also cant do much for potential record sales can it?............ :wink:
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

i don't see how old but working eq all of a sudden gets insufficient to do the same job it's always done just because newer and shinier stuff is available.
It performed fine where i saw them...i'm not exactly inclined to believe there are real problems with the sound that actually would ruin the gig (maybe in some places, but not most), if the audience wasn't bored out of their minds to begin with, as every gig has had obviously perfectly happy participants, also.
Certainly there can be better and worse nights, but utterly ruined? Don't think so.

The main problem with this tour is that the Sisters are an artistic entity and not mass-directed entertainment machine. Eldritch has integrity not to play down to suit the tastes and expectations of bored people. But modern audiences don't like artistic entities but corporate whores who bend over backwards to please distasteful audiences and their expectations.

Bored of the setlist? Well sorry, but most people don't go to see 10 gigs (but yet again, some who do apparently don't get bothered by hearing the same songs 50 times), if you're the kind of person who's likely to get offended by such things, why do you plan to go to see them so many times?
Low volume? Well then shut up and try make the most of it.

Director Werner Herzog spoke about 'culture of complaint' to which he wouldn't want to succumb to but rather accept negative things as part of the process.

Sorry, but that's what i really honestly think. (And i'm not saying this about anyone personally, but rather demographically that most people are like that, and that applies to Sisters fans also. i've also read complaints that i do sympathise with and don't consider just whining from the braindeads)
we've got beer and we've got fuel
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

itnAklipse wrote:Bored of the setlist? Well sorry, but most people don't go to see 10 gigs (but yet again, some who do apparently don't get bothered by hearing the same songs 50 times), if you're the kind of person who's likely to get offended by such things, why do you plan to go to see them so many times?
Well put.
I never tire of hearing songs like Lucretia, Temple, Corrosion, WYDSM, C&B, Ribbons etc etc so the setlist isn't really an issue with me. The sound problems on this tour are an issue though, and seem to have been addressed as it was fine (and loud enough) last night at Rock City. Whether it stays fine remains to be seen however...

Von's voice is clearly not at it's best but this can't be helped. But the quality of the axemen is what's keeping me interested on this tour 'cause they rock - pure and simple. I'll take this line-up over Pearson/Starling any day.
The Scene won't save you...
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

agreed. chris and ben are carrying them at the moment. and chris is without doubt the coolest motherf**ker ever to play guitar for the sisters :lol: ;)

he really should have been in sputnik :lol: ;D
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Mickpit
Road Kill

itnAklipse wrote: The main problem with this tour is that the Sisters are an artistic entity and not mass-directed entertainment machine. Eldritch has integrity not to play down to suit the tastes and expectations of bored people. But modern audiences don't like artistic entities but corporate whores who bend over backwards to please distasteful audiences and their expectations.

Bored of the setlist? Well sorry, but most people don't go to see 10 gigs (but yet again, some who do apparently don't get bothered by hearing the same songs 50 times), if you're the kind of person who's likely to get offended by such things, why do you plan to go to see them so many times?
I think MOST people consider the problem to be the level of Vons vocals, not his integrity or intent. The only expectations that weren't met IMO, is one of being able to hear him sing, is that too much to expect? I'm personaly amazed at the apathy around, I don't know how so many people are accepting of the fact they paid £20+ to hear an TSOM instrumental gig.
wild bill buttock
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Oi!Leave the doK alone!He's the only thing about them that actually still sounds like The Sisters of Mercy.
If Von wants to improve the sound,he'd be wise to not hire guitarists that sound like they've stepped out from c.1986 Judas Priest*.
I would suggest some who sound like Marx,Gun or best of all Hussey!
Some nice person has posted the whole of the Wake video on You tube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwdCtUaL ... of%20mercy hadn't seen it in its entirety for years.It is still f**king brilliant,any Hussey slaggers should watch it now,easily the best plank spanker the Sisters have ever had!
Something else I noticed about "wake" was the bands odd clothing,for a "Pure rock'n'roll" band,some might describe it as a touch on the goth side!

*=If you don't believe me listen to Judas priest's "Turbo lover".Substitute Big Gay Bob for Von and Voila!The Sisters "new" sound :innocent:
The photographs of God I bought have almost faded away
sisterstekland
Slight Overbomber

well they have to do the tour again for free then