Andrew Eldritch: Why won't you release a new Sisters LP?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Prescott
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

LouLou wrote:
Bartek wrote:- negation
- anger
- negotioation
- depression
- acceptance
funny how accurately a grief model describes the psyche of a semi-retired band's fanbase :lol: :notworthy: :notworthy:

i can proudly say i made it fairly quickly to the acceptance stage - a little self-delusion goes a long way :innocent:
It is rather interesting. Yet are not grief models usually reserved for something like, death of a loved one, or divource?

So unless those of you suggesting the rest of us prescribe to such a model are implying that a band that still tours is dead, it is actually considerably out of context and irrelevant.
"... because we're that kind of people."
James Blast
Banned

Okay, because I'm such a nice guy and although 30+ peeps have veiwed this sans one thankee, here's last week's show where Simon Day (Tommy Cockles, Competitive Dad, Pub Bore) chats to Hooky who talks about the state the music industry's in now - http://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=22038

I'll do the Hooky vs JCC later if anyone gives a fuck
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Prescott

James Blast wrote:Okay, because I'm such a nice guy and although 30+ peeps have veiwed this sans one thankee, here's last week's show where Simon Day (Tommy Cockles, Competitive Dad, Pub Bore) chats to Hooky who talks about the state the music industry's in now - http://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=22038

I'll do the Hooky vs JCC later if anyone gives a fuck
Can't watch it right now James. Can you give a synopsis?
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Prescott wrote:
LouLou wrote:
Bartek wrote:- negation
- anger
- negotioation
- depression
- acceptance
funny how accurately a grief model describes the psyche of a semi-retired band's fanbase :lol: :notworthy: :notworthy:

i can proudly say i made it fairly quickly to the acceptance stage - a little self-delusion goes a long way :innocent:
It is rather interesting. Yet are not grief models usually reserved for something like, death of a loved one, or divource?
... :lol: ... you're lovely as well, Prescott ...

markfiend wrote:If it was going to happen at all, it would have happened by now.
oh, yes. but wasn't that one of the possible extrapolations from the nice and useful proverb:

You won't exist when I won't see you ... ;D ...

@ James
What sort of file is it? Apple? It didn't have any ending when I downloaded it ... :roll: ...
James Blast
Banned

just add .mp3 onto the end of the file, it's audio
and No, sorry Prescott listen to the fuckin' thing ;D
Last edited by James Blast on 12 Aug 2011, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Prescott wrote:What's so hard for someone who used to take the time to reply to fan letters in UTR .
Surely it is the bizarre "Dear Andrew" experiment in UTR which is anomalous, not the silences before and since. At the time, I wondered if it wasn't an attempt to debunk the "godfather of g*th" tag which irked him so much, the whole "When You Don't See Me" effect. it only seemed to produce more intrigue, hence the lack of direct communication since, which now also extends to recorded output.
Prescott

"I will stand upon my watch, and set me upon the tower, and will watch to see what he will say unto me, and what I shall answer when I am reproved."

With the King James Bible, inter alia, in his blood stream and what not, I'm sure he'll understand what I mean. On a few levels.
sultan2075
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:If it was going to happen at all, it would have happened by now.
Yeah. That's probably correct. It's still possible, though... but that possibility is infinitesimal.

If it were to happen, Chris would have to be the, er.... catalyst. The scuttlebutt suggests, however, that Von is uncomfortable with contemporary recording technology, though--which makes it even more unlikely since, if that is indeed true, it would mean ceding even more control to someone other than himself. Maybe UbuntuStudio and Ardour? But then I'd imagine you spend more time trying to get everything to talk to everything else than you would just using Logic or Pro Tools.

There's also the question of anticipation. It's quite possible nothing could ever live up to the fanbase's expectations. I understand not wanting to do deal with that--and it would be hard not read the reviews.

He should have made a deal with ANTI/Epitaph in the 90's. Merle Haggard and Tom Waits are good company to share a label with, and a band of the stature of TSOM in the 90's would have been attractive to the label, I think. Another missed opportunity.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

That's what my girlfriend said to me.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
James Blast
Banned

@Lagartija Nick - I had to look up 'anomalous'

I'm glad I did, thankee :D

@sultan2075 - he's lost his ghost, it happens to 50+ men who were in a creative industry. I speak from experience. If I could go to a forum and whup open my folio of graphics (teens to 30s) and be applauded, I'd do it too.
Eventually I'd know when to stop, either produce something new or fuck off.

I fucked off.

mileage vary :?
~ Peter Steele
_emma_
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:
Being645 wrote:
James Blast wrote:a once major tour de force is forced to tour ;D
so this way or other ... :lol: ... The Sisters are a major force ... ;D ;D ;D ...
but they're not, really, are they?

i know we may wish they were, but in the grand scheme of things... :?:

in a world where the major labels are increasingly scared to take a punt on even established bands that can't be guaranteed to shift a whole lot of units and sell out arena tours, the sissies aren't really seen as a major force anymore. definitely not in the uk or the states, and most likely not in europe.

anything else is wishful thinking and a clinging to the past on our parts.

sadly.
Well sure they are not "major force", at least not in the major labels' understanding, but so what? They are undoubtedly a perfect example of genuine beauty endangered and rare, a gem in the eyes and hearts of those who know how to tell real treasures from major ersatz. I don't think it's sad, I think it's just the way it is, the way it's always been. :)
10-E Rabid
Amphetamine Filth

My two cents are thus.....there is plenty of music out there to get on with life. The Sisters were and still are my fave but times have changed and we all grow up and out, moving on, sometimes. I will not complain since the amount of bootlegs clearly and obviously outnumbers the recorded output. What if we are just waiting for the songs that have already been showcased live? And if not, what a blessing it would be to here all new originals done in a studio. After it happens or not, life goes on. The fire may reignite but geez it won't always burn, just in our hearts (awwwwww). We can't expect AE to be Frank Black and others who release stuff consistently. He's AE and he will do as he damn well pleases. I feel lucky they are still alive and going and I only got to see them once live and meet him once briefly (he's short) in my twenty years as a follower. But, "suit yourself, Im easy!"
"Go forth and become a happy cabbage"
Prescott

How droll.
James Blast
Banned

_emma_ wrote:ersatz
Thankee! :D

that's the word I was searching for made flesh in The Ersatz Of Mercy

that's what we have now :|
~ Peter Steele
Prescott

James Blast wrote:

It's true. The REAL Sisters would still be releasing records, whether singles, LP's or otherwise.

I hate to finally admit it to myself. :(
10-E Rabid
Amphetamine Filth

Prescott wrote:How droll.
I think I went through all those aformentioned "steps". Plus I'm older now and this life presents more problemsa than when the next album will be out. And additionally, I like to amuse myself :roll:
"Go forth and become a happy cabbage"
Being645
Wiki Wizard

James Blast wrote:
I fucked off.
... and it does you good ... you're recreating ... ;D ;D ;D ...
James Blast
Banned

Prescott wrote:I hate to finally admit it to myself. :(
It's a bad come down Prescott, it hit me around 2005 and I stopped the appy-poly-logies.
But, still I'm crushed inside.

Dreadful behaviour. :cry:
~ Peter Steele
Prescott

10-E Rabid wrote:
Prescott wrote:How droll.
I think I went through all those aformentioned "steps". Plus I'm older now and this life presents more problemsa than when the next album will be out. And additionally, I like to amuse myself :roll:
Of course I respect these things you've said. Yet I refuse to accept no new album. Refuse. Obstinately, completely, totally, fundamentally refuse to accept it.
Prescott

James Blast wrote:
Prescott wrote:I hate to finally admit it to myself. :(
It's a bad come down Prescott, it hit me around 2005 and I stopped the appy-poly-logies.
But, still I'm crushed inside.

Dreadful behaviour. :cry:
Yes it's heart breaking. And I don't give a s**t what anyone thinks of me saying that, because it's so true.

It hit me the other day when I was trying to figure some s**t out concerning a situation that was going very well and then turned to s**t at the last minute. It definitely shed some light. It was typical and a shattering let-down. I realized it was the final let-down I am willing to endure from this.

I couldn't get this bit from Teachers out of my head, "we teach old hearts to break", his voice singing it in my head over and over.

It comes down to a question of value. Will I ever be willing to spend obscene money to see them live, buy boat loads of swag, etc.

No.

No new record - no more gigs.

No this isn't "cheap emotional black-mail" either, so you can shove that somewhere else.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

James Blast wrote:

Not within all the gigs I have seen since 2009, far from that ...
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Being645 wrote:
James Blast wrote:

Gigs-only work for a reunion band, not for a band that pretends to be active still.

Personally, my Sisters days are over, the gigs I attended were from awful up to good, but with no product in the pipeline, I did the Prescott-James manoeuvre some years ago, selling a lot of Sisters boots in the process.

There are other bands available, far more interesting as well, AFAIC. Life is too short to sit and wait for one old band to come up with new tricks... :|

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Prescott

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
Being645 wrote:
James Blast wrote:Thankee! :D

Gigs-only work for a reunion band, not for a band that pretends to be active still.

Personally, my Sisters days are over, the gigs I attended were from awful up to good, but with no product in the pipeline, I did the Prescott-James manoeuvre some years ago, selling a lot of Sisters boots in the process.

There are other bands available, far more interesting as well, AFAIC. Life is too short to sit and wait for one old band to come up with new tricks... :|

IZ.
Here's the crux of it for me. I believe the songs played live since Vision Thing, such as Crash and Burn, Summer, etc. deserve a "set in vinyl" so to speak release. When people think of Elvis, whom our man likes to ironically reference for instance, they think of the songs he RECORDED. Not a handful of bootlegs of shows where Elvis performed a bunch of songs that range from decent to awesome that he never bothered to record and release.

No matter how minimal the production of the Elvis Sun Recordings, for example, they will be the way those songs are UNIVERSALLY REMEMBERED and the way they are universally identified. You can't leave your songs as part of a legacy if the fans are left to debate whether "Hamburg 1999 Romeo Down sounds better than Berlin 2001 or not and other such drivel. And it really is the drivel that goes along with the act of clutching at straws.

So the legacy of the band deserves it, the songs the deserve it, the fans deserve it and AE himself owes it to himself.

One would think that maybe this is a given? So then what's the point of NOT releasing these songs in a DEFINITIVE form?

I can't rightly tell someone to listen to Crash and Burn if I myself am not certain which bootleg version of some live performance of the song is the best example. I can't even refer them to an actual gig as the VOCAL performance is hit and miss. Mainly volume issues.

I can't count the number of times people have listened to what I thought was an excellent live recording and they still said the vocals were inaudible and therefore couldn't understand the lyrics I kept telling them were so amazing.

It's counter productive. It makes me wonder if his whole goal is really to push all the fans away, to push everyone away?

So, did you ever answer your own question, Andrew?

Do you drive? Or are you driven?
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:Life is too short to sit and wait for one old band to come up with new tricks... :|

IZ.
... :lol: ... well, life is to short to rely on anybody come up with anything ... that's why ...

Anyway, I couldn't sell any record or book I've ever really been into ... on the other hand, there are not that many that really meant something to me ...

Nowadays, it's slightly different .. I'm hhm say, more implementing and enjoying than needing ...

Izzy HaveMercy wrote: Gigs-only work for a reunion band, not for a band that pretends to be active still.
They had a hard time to survive as a band as far as I remember. And this had never worked out, had they not been "active" ... not to mention that in fact they had to pay for that decision, with their life, with their effort, with yeah, everything.

And again, I just can't do with that view of "you are a band/artist so you gotta do this and that to have a right to be what you - are."

To me it's all the same wrong capitalist and military livestock approach of usability, profit, ownership and rule: neither caring for the people behind nor for the people who might have some according demand if there is no profit to be drawn out of both for their own sake and gain while pretending this to be the one and only solution to feed (and develop - sic!) humankind ... ah, I better stop here, before I start ranting again about the apes we come from and the kindergarden we should long have grown out of and the wrong values of death, territory, security and ... uh, no, not again ... :lol: ...