Bowie then...

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

there are some individuals whose (continued) existence is a universal blessing we should all be thankful of, and bowie is one of them. :notworthy: :notworthy:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Holly_DelRey
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:there are some individuals whose (continued) existence is a universal blessing we should all be thankful of, and bowie is one of them. :notworthy: :notworthy:
True that :notworthy:
🇨🇦 🔁 🇺🇲
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

What a nice surprise! :notworthy:
The new song....well I don't know yet after a quick listen with kid, wife and dog in the room. First impression was 'not bad but not that great either (probably hoped for a stunning song)'. We'll see....
"as we walk on the floodland"
blackandgold65
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I think it's great to see him back - the man is way too cool to just shuffle quietly off this earth....song's a grower, liking the lyrics...
"I think insipid music is very dangerous. It's a narcotic for the nation as you very well know."
Silver_Owl
The Don

Sweetcheeks wrote:
eastmidswhizzkid wrote:there are some individuals whose (continued) existence is a universal blessing we should all be thankful of, and bowie is one of them. :notworthy: :notworthy:
Indeed. :P
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Hom_Corleone wrote:
Sweetcheeks wrote:
Indeed. :P
Aye. ;D
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Hunslet Ramone
Amphetamine Filth

Bowie was always brilliant,do agree with the universal blessing tag,as was a big fan,but only up until his terrible Tin Machine, then he lost it

Sadly this new single is no better, too dreary and dull by far. Very suprised most people on this forum like it.
I go to gigs, and if there is any money left, I eat
bangles

Hunslet Ramone wrote:Bowie was always brilliant,do agree with the universal blessing tag,as was a big fan,but only up until his terrible Tin Machine, then he lost it

Sadly this new single is no better, too dreary and dull by far. Very surprised most people on this forum like it.
I always think Tin Machine never got a chance. An initial bit of good press & surprisingly good sales, but then the media backlash ferocious. I guess at the time within the media, there was a mix of people who'd grown with the 70's Bowie & this goatee'd gent in a suit with his mates, was not the Bowie they knew or wanted - while to the younger generation Bowie's coolness cache was at an all time low after the Never Let Me Down album.
TM1 has some great stuff - I Can't Read, Prisoner of Love, Tin Machine, Under The God & TM2 is even better - Baby Universal, Shopping for Girls, One Shot - even the very much maligned Hunt Sales number....

If it's an arm twister, is it worth considering that the album was made most of the same team that made Iggy's Lust For Life? (No comparison between the two though...)

Having said that, to most it seems that TM's only merit is as a desk cleaning exercise that allowed Bowie to sidestep the main stream & start doing his own thing again. And that was part of the process that lead to the outstanding Outside LP
czuczu
Overbomber

I saw Tin Machine at Brixton and, with the exception of Hunt Sales, they were brilliant! And, apart from the handful of classic singles, his 90s and 00s stuff is waaay better than his 80s stuff
Debaser
Overbomber

I heard it for the first time the other day - his voice seems a lot thicker - hardly surprising as he ages but some great vocalists manage to sound the same throughout their entire career.

To me it sounds like a good album track but not really a single. Well, not the first single after such an absence.
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Debaser wrote: To me it sounds like a good album track but not really a single. Well, not the first single after such an absence.
You could be talking about UTG twenty years ago. :innocent: So if the criticism is too stinging this may be the final comeback.
bangles

czuczu wrote:I saw Tin Machine at Brixton and, with the exception of Hunt Sales, they were brilliant! And, apart from the handful of classic singles, his 90s and 00s stuff is waaay better than his 80s stuff
totally agree!

:notworthy:
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Eldritch told him "only one of us can be an enigmatic recluse who doesn't release product. And.It.Isn't.Going.To.Be.You."

I like it, sounds like an off cut from Heathen but that ain't a bad thing.
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Pista
Cureboi

Anyone listened to his new effort?
What do you think?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
million voices
Slight Overbomber

I like it

But then I like anything by BOWIE - I even like "Tonight"

But I especially like stuff that is a bit on the edge - a bit Outside
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Heard it once, quite liked it. Can't say what it'll be the hundreth time...
in dub we trust
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

That's all the new songs from the new album played at the same time innit?
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
bangles

million voices wrote:I like it

I like, no love, everything too. Absolutely everything he's ever done - but this...

I liked it to a point - the 60's soundtrack-ish jazz feel wasn't too bad until it went full jazz and which point my brain started to hurt. This Johnny hates jazz.
Asperum Aestimate Fimi Aliquid Hodie
Pista
Cureboi

weebleswobble wrote:That's all the new songs from the new album played at the same time innit?
& all at different speeds.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Same here ... I like everything from Young Americans to Baal and from The Man Who Sold The World to Reality or more recently The Next Day ... ;D ...

This track is like a painting to me. A painting, one had to do all the time and finally did. Not especially great, but necessary to get the right picture. And as such also relieving ... :wink: ... Should be interesting to see (or hear rather) what other tracks - if any - will surface around this one ... ;D ...
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Being645 wrote:

Same here ... I like everything from Young Americans to Baal and from The Man Who Sold The World to Reality or more recently The Next Day ... ;D ...

This track is like a painting to me. A painting, one had to do all the time and finally did. Not especially great, but necessary to get the right picture. And as such also relieving ... :wink: ... Should be interesting to see (or hear rather) what other tracks - if any - will surface around this one ... ;D ...
What did I say? Here's the next one ... interesting days are apparently ahead ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyIgj-bSvOo - 'Tis a Pity She Was a Whore'
million voices
Slight Overbomber

WOW - Great stuff

Bowie certainly seems to be looking for that field way out on the left again and a good thing too
bangles

Being645 wrote:
Being645 wrote:

What did I say? Here's the next one ... interesting days are apparently ahead ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyIgj-bSvOo - 'Tis a Pity She Was a Whore'
Now this is more like it...
Asperum Aestimate Fimi Aliquid Hodie
Pista
Cureboi

It's miles better than Sue.
But then so is the sound my hoover makes when it picks up small coins.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
million voices
Slight Overbomber

There is a re-mix of the second track with the small coins added

'Tis A Pity She Ab Whores A Vacuum

Sorry