Bowie then...

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
czuczu
Overbomber

'Blackstar'

The single will be released on November 20th and is not part of David’s theatre piece ‘Lazarus’.

The album will be released on David’s birthday, January 8th 2016.
8)
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

It's been a while since I listened his last album, but I remember it was solid music, made by musician/artist who have to prove antyhing to nobody.
So I'm waiting to hear this one.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Good news ... :D ...
Being645
Above the Chemist

Today's the day ... Happy Birthday, Mr. Bowie ... :D ...

Black Star released ...
Pista
Cureboi

Being645 wrote:Today's the day ... Happy Birthday, Mr. Bowie ... :D ...

Black Star released ...
Only heard three of the tracks so far . Lazarus is alright, but Blackstar & Sue are completely dreadful. Like a musical equivalent of a Jackson Pollock mess on the floor really. IMHO of course.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

It doesn't really do anything for me. A couple of tracks are OK-ish, the rest is a bit directionless and dull.

Really nice packaging/design on the CD & booklet, though: an exercise in spot varnishing taken to the extreme.
Pista
Cureboi

lazarus corporation wrote:It doesn't really do anything for me. A couple of tracks are OK-ish, the rest is a bit directionless and dull.
Perhaps too many directions.
Some of it sounds like someone playing half a dozen different songs at the same time.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
million voices
Slight Overbomber

What I've heard and absorbed so far I rather like.
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
million voices
Slight Overbomber

Possible reasons for the greater popularity :-

+ He has released a great many very good LPs (not just three)

+ There has been variety in the stage presentation over the years

+ He hasn't turned himself into a "nostalgia act"
million voices
Slight Overbomber

....+ and he can still sing
Being645
Above the Chemist

+ art and entertainment have always been his point of interest and so he's always been doing it consistently and consequently

+ as such he's always been very innovative inventing ever new trend setting styles also produced Iggy Pop's first solo albums

+ he's a professional dancer (a member of Lindsey Kemps Dance Company), a stage actor (starting on Broadway with The Elephant Man, 1979)
and movie actor (working with actresses like Marlene Dietrich, Catherine Deneuve and Susan Sarandon)

+ hundreds of further reasons ...

As to Blackstar - it is clear that this is not to everybody's taste ... :lol: ... I like it ... ;D ... looking forward to the CD arrival to give it some extensive listen ...
As to Bowie it's always the same with me: it always takes more than one short first listen to appreciate a new record and the more I listen to it the more I like it.
Pista
Cureboi

Being645 wrote:+ art and entertainment have always been his point of interest and so he's always been doing it consistently and consequently

+ as such he's always been very innovative inventing ever new trend setting styles also produced Iggy Pop's first solo albums

+ he's a professional dancer (a member of Lindsey Kemps Dance Company), a stage actor (starting on Broadway with The Elephant Man, 1979)
and movie actor (working with actresses like Marlene Dietrich, Catherine Deneuve and Susan Sarandon)
None of which mean that every record he makes is actually good ;)
Hey, if you enjoy it, you enjoy it. That's the main thing right?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Being645
Above the Chemist

Pista wrote:
Being645 wrote:+ art and entertainment have always been his point of interest and so he's always been doing it consistently and consequently

None of which mean that every record he makes is actually good ;)
Hey, if you enjoy it, you enjoy it. That's the main thing right?
Absolutely ... :D ... I can't stand all of his records every day, either ... Anyway, I was referring to this:
ageofmaya wrote: I was anyway always wondering how comes David Bowie can be more popular than The Sisters of Mercy?
bangles
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

ageofmaya wrote:
Pista wrote:
Being645 wrote:Today's the day ... Happy Birthday, Mr. Bowie ... :D ...

Black Star released ...
but Blackstar completely dreadful. Like a musical equivalent of a Jackson Pollock mess on the floor really. IMHO of course.

Yeah - dreadful. I tried to give it a chance, but after I got a headache at one moment, I gave up, and resorted to The Poison Door to kiss the memory of Blackstar a goodbye .. :D

I was anyway always wondering how comes David Bowie can be more popular than The Sisters of Mercy? :D

And came to the conclusion it's all about media coverage and the reasons behind...
Well to be overly simplistic, he's more popular because he sold more records. A lot more records. Millions probably. All over the world.
But that doesn't necessarily mean he's always been overly commercial - although he could do that too when the mood took.

Those records range from 60's RnB, to music hall, protest folk, proto heavy rock, glam, soul, electronica, pop, club, industrial etc. They also influence generations of musicians, artists, writers and so on.

Being popular doesn't mean your good, but popular and longevity is a bit of an indication, you just might be.
Asperum Aestimate Fimi Aliquid Hodie
Phil
Amphetamine Filth

He's gone
Anger Is An Energy
Hunslet Ramone
Amphetamine Filth

Yes Phil the legend has, what a horrible day.
I go to gigs, and if there is any money left, I eat
shivarising
Amphetamine Filth

:( What a dreadful way to start off the year. First Lemmy, now Bowie. :urff:
Guedzilla
Amphetamine Filth
Location: At the place where the bars never close (not that soon, at least)

And what a way to go… leaving a planned farewell album.
Introducing....Gothzilla?!?
Pista
Cureboi

Anyone tried this yet?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
czuczu
Overbomber

Pista wrote:Anyone tried this yet?

8)