Should I Stay Or Should I Go?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Unable to tear myself away from The Guardian's live coverage of the ever-more-surreal story of Trump's executive order banning people from "majority muslim countries" from entering the US. Wondering whether to raise the question at my appraisal tomorrow about getting relocated to somewhere less odious - Germany, maybe, which while it has some historical problems with the way it's treated people in the past seems quite committed to doing something about it; maybe Australia, ditto, although it doesn't seem quite so committed; at this point I'd even consider moving back to London, although I suspect that that presents something of a frying-pan/fire scenario. Does staying mean that I tacitly approve of Trump's actions? Since my status in the US is one of Permanent Residence, my options for getting involved in protests is precarious at best and downright dangerous at worst. Nothing like as dangerous, of course, as those who are of a darker hue than me, but "life-changing" seems to be the expression du jour. The lawyers are telling me to keep a low profile, drop off social media (or at least start posting under pseudonyms), stop using public email services, secure my text messaging - sh*t, I'm probably the last person that you'd think they'd want to deport, but if this is the advice I'm getting what the hell are they telling my friends who actually are in the cross-hairs?

The expression "F*ck me" has never been so apposite. :roll:
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Microcosmia
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

EvilBastard wrote: ......The lawyers are telling me to keep a low profile, drop off social media (or at least start posting under pseudonyms), stop using public email services, secure my text messaging - sh*t, I'm probably the last person that you'd think they'd want to deport, but if this is the advice I'm getting what the hell are they telling my friends who actually are in the cross-hairs? ...
Bloody hell :eek: :evil: :cry:

Sorry I have nothing helpful to say to you, the word "sinister" just seems so inadequate
EmmaPeelWannaBe
Slight Overbomber

EvilBastard wrote:Unable to tear myself away from The Guardian's live coverage of the ever-more-surreal story of Trump's executive order banning people from "majority muslim countries" from entering the US. Wondering whether to raise the question at my appraisal tomorrow about getting relocated to somewhere less odious - Germany, maybe, which while it has some historical problems with the way it's treated people in the past seems quite committed to doing something about it; maybe Australia, ditto, although it doesn't seem quite so committed; at this point I'd even consider moving back to London, although I suspect that that presents something of a frying-pan/fire scenario. Does staying mean that I tacitly approve of Trump's actions? Since my status in the US is one of Permanent Residence, my options for getting involved in protests is precarious at best and downright dangerous at worst. Nothing like as dangerous, of course, as those who are of a darker hue than me, but "life-changing" seems to be the expression du jour. The lawyers are telling me to keep a low profile, drop off social media (or at least start posting under pseudonyms), stop using public email services, secure my text messaging - sh*t, I'm probably the last person that you'd think they'd want to deport, but if this is the advice I'm getting what the hell are they telling my friends who actually are in the cross-hairs?

The expression "F*ck me" has never been so apposite. :roll:
So sorry EB. We're all f*cked right now. Many of us will protest on your behalf.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

oops. wrong thread.
Last edited by emilystrange on 29 Jan 2017, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
Pista
Cureboi

I think this is very worthy of its own thread, so I split these posts off.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

oh. i put my post where it should be.

I've just read something saying that Merkel has had to explain the Geneva Convention on refugees to His Idiocy over the phone.
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
Pista
Cureboi

Just fetching it now :)
emilystrange wrote:watching the signatory numbers on a petition to not let trump have a state visit here rack up at 200 per 9 seconds (i timed the update). currently about to turn 550,000.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Pat
Slight Overbomber

The Mrs is watching it too, she can't tear herself away. It updates every 15 seconds or so.
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/171928
Not a royalist by any means but a token way of showing my disgust with Trump. Sorry for the hijack EB
million voices
Slight Overbomber

Mr Bastard. isn't there that quote:- something about them coming for various people and I did nothing and when they came for me there was no one left.

I am not saying this in any kind of smug way - unfortunately I am also doing nothing
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
nowayjose
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

million voices wrote:Mr Bastard. isn't there that quote:- something about them coming for various people and I did nothing and when they came for me there was no one left.
Get real -- Trump is not persecuting Muslims. On the other hand, Muslim-ruled nations DO persecute non-Muslims when they have the power to do so.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Maybe Muslim refugees trying to get into the US could pretend to be Christians.

You know, like Republicans do.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

I have a friend desperate to get out of the UK due to Brexit utterly shattering his faith. I don't think remaining anywhere is tacitly endorsing anyone, especially when the scenario is so weighted against you, EvilBastard.

You can't help anyone if you don't help yourself first. Be well.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

timsinister wrote:You can't help anyone if you don't help yourself first. Be well.
Troo dat. Well said Tim
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

markfiend wrote:Maybe Muslim refugees trying to get into the US could pretend to be Christians.

You know, like Republicans do.
Nice. :notworthy:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I stole it off tumblr but thanks ;D
—Bertrand Russell
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Talent imitates, genius steals.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

(That isn't an original quote by me, so you know)
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

timsinister wrote:(That isn't an original quote by me, so you know)
Picasso I think?
—Bertrand Russell
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

T.S. Eliot seems the likely culprit. So we find ourselves circling back to Heartland via Eldritch's, hm, inspirations...?

:wink:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Maybe Picasso stole it from Eliot then :lol:
—Bertrand Russell
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Nothing new under the sun, or the moon! 8)
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

nowayjose wrote:Get real -- Trump is not persecuting Muslims.
We have always been at war with Eastasia.
—Bertrand Russell
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

nowayjose wrote: Get real -- Trump is not persecuting Muslims.
except for (and not just inclusive of) those muslims who are joint-nationality US citizens resident in the US who happen to have left the country temporarily. :roll:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Pista
Cureboi

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
except for (and not just inclusive of) those muslims who are joint-nationality US citizens resident in the US who happen to have left the country temporarily. :roll:
& those from countries where he has business interests.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
EmmaPeelWannaBe
Slight Overbomber

And to be fair, trump just wants the Muslim registry so he doesn't accidentally send them Christmas cards.