David Bowie RIP

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
EmmaPeelWannaBe
Slight Overbomber

http://www.nme.com/news/david-bowie/90764

Elsewhere
Spain, in an undisclosed location, in a darkened room Von is doing exactly what?
My life is one long week of stupid clothing benders.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

EmmaPeelWannaBe wrote:http://www.nme.com/news/david-bowie/90764

Elsewhere
Spain, in an undisclosed location, in a darkened room Von is doing exactly what?
Here's your answer...

"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
EmmaPeelWannaBe
Slight Overbomber

Lol.
Sorry normally not so negative - it's been a sh*tty week.

And does he really want UTG to be his last (recorded) word?
My life is one long week of stupid clothing benders.
Phil
Amphetamine Filth

Still pissed off.
Anger Is An Energy
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

Meanwhile, i think Brett Anderson in the end IS the winning team in this cynical pre-2000 'interview' (with some punches in Suede's direction).

Suede crawled back and fill decent venues and bring out even more decent records.
:innocent:
guns & cars & accidents
XidiouX
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

"Like many right-thinking people, I was blown away by seeing "Starman" on
English TV. If I was David Bowie, I would be even more annoyed to see
Suede repeating the character."

Eldritch, quite oblivious to the fact that the pretty much the same accusation could quite reasonably be levelled at him in relation to baritone Bowie.

XidiouX
centurionofprix
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Mokarran wrote:I wonder if at any point Andrew reflected on the likelihood that No Bowie = No Eldritch. I should imagine it coloured every word in the piece, as a reaction or an anti-reaction. Bowie was always good at knowing who was doing good work... at the very least I would have thought someone would have steered him towards 'Temple' at some point.
IIRC Eldritch said somewhere (probably UTG) that it was seeing Bowie on TV, drugged-out with orange hair, that made him realize this was a viable way to approach life in the modern world, in contrast with his bookish upbringing... so beyond cultural influence, it is true in a concrete way.

Given Bowie spent a lot of time working with people like Placebo and NIN, springing at least in part from The Sisters, I guess he had to have heard the Sisters at some point, if not in '95.
XidiouX wrote:"Like many right-thinking people, I was blown away by seeing "Starman" on
English TV. If I was David Bowie, I would be even more annoyed to see
Suede repeating the character."

Eldritch, quite oblivious to the fact that the pretty much the same accusation could quite reasonably be levelled at him in relation to baritone Bowie.

XidiouX
I don't think he was oblivious, given how often that accusation was leveled at him in the Sisters' early days; probably he just didn't agree with it.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

centurionofprix wrote:
XidiouX wrote: Eldritch, quite oblivious to the fact that the pretty much the same accusation could quite reasonably be levelled at him in relation to baritone Bowie.

XidiouX
I don't think he was oblivious, given how often that accusation was leveled at him in the Sisters' early days; probably he just didn't agree with it.
I think he really hated it, seeing Bowie as quite a toothless paper-tiger at times ... :von: :P :von: ... :lol: ...
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

this was posted on the New Model Army website by Justin Sullivan. would have been nice to see some sort of tribute from eldritch. i'm a bit upset at him for not having done so actually.
NMA website wrote:Thoughts On The Passing Of Lemmy And David Bowie
It’s a sad week that has seen the passing of Lemmy and David Bowie. Much has been written about both, by people more knowledgeable than I, but I do have a couple of memories to share.

When I was fourteen, we had a very progressive music teacher who allowed the class to bring in their favourite albums, play songs and talk about why they loved them. It was there that I first heard the first Hawkwind album and I was utterly transfixed – it was exactly what I was looking for at that time, hard, driving but at the same time a bit other-worldly. Some years later in Bradford, Motorhead were the only band who bridged the sharp divide between the punks and the bikers/rockers. They were played in every club – it’s strange for music that is so straight-forward to be able to defy definition. And when we moved to London briefly in 1984/5, whichever club we went into, Lemmy always seemed to be there quietly in the corner playing on the machines. Memorably at Joolz’s 30th birthday party, while the chairs, tables and bottles were flying in some mass brawl or other, he barely looked up and just went on playing. I’m not really a fan of the idea of ‘rock’ culture; so much of it is shallow, materialistic and fake. But Motorhead were always real. The last time we played together was a festival in Austria somewhere, about five or six years ago, and they were still doing it with the same sense of belief, spirit and defiance.

David Bowie was of course part of my musical youth, from the moment I first heard Space Oddity (aged thirteen). My younger sister had the full Aladdin Sane look and we had all the early albums, favourites to play excessively loud when the parents were out. In 1976 I remember playing Station to Station on repeat through my first weeks in Bradford. It’s strange now to think that NMA must have performed with him about eight times. The first was perhaps the most memorable – back in 1987 when we were pretty much unknown and (thanks to an influential supporter) we got to open for him in front 40,000 people by the old Reichstag in Berlin on his Glass Spider tour. We were nervous and excited and about ten minutes before we went on, there was a polite knock at our porta-cabin door and in walked Mr Bowie to say hi, make a little small-talk and wish us luck for our show. We were dumb-struck and hugely impressed. In 1991 we did two shows together when he was doing a greatest hits tour – on a great bill featuring DB, Midnight Oil, The Pixies, NMA and others. I remember watching the whole of one of his performances from out front thinking ‘he’s played them all now… oh wait, there’s that one and that one and that one’ and so on, for two straight hours – so many wonderful songs.

Then, in the mid 1990s we were part of four or five “Go Bang Festivals� with Bowie, The Prodigy, Rage Against The Machine, Machine Head, ourselves and others. The bill looked rather better on paper than it actually turned out - the weather was grim, Bowie was experimenting with drum n bass stuff, Prodigy and RATM seemed a bit tired and over-toured and our heads were rather locked in the Strange Brotherhood project. But as always, backstage DB was charming, quiet, polite, humourous and very knowledgeable.

Of course his passing has brought thousands of tributes. And the different emphases depend on what is important to whoever’s writing. The media types will focus on his ability to ‘re-invent’ himself for the media. As a song-writer, I think it’s his song-writing that I cherish most – such a wonderful command of melodies and keys and memorable lines and images and just so many great, great songs.

What both Lemmy and David Bowie had in common was that they were both at ease being themselves and pursuing exactly what they wanted to pursue whatever anyone else thought. Sure they were different, but both were very true English gentlemen in their own ways, modest and fiercely independent of mind and spirit.

Big respect to both.

JS
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
XidiouX
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Really pissed off about missing that David Bowie gig on the Death Star.