2023-09-23 The Roundhouse, London, UK

Gig news, reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on The Sisters 2023 tour.
copper
Amphetamine Filth

mh wrote: 23 Sep 2023, 20:52 2 guitarists microphones on stage. The one on "Dylan's side" is taller. Maybe it's all nothing and everything will be alright, etc.
FireInReptileHouse wrote: 23 Sep 2023, 21:20 "so that happened..." :von:
Which mirrors Dylan's introductory line on the website:

so that's happening
eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 11:40 they had done a lot of work on The Doktor's track to fill out the sound around a single live guitar -ie. not just bunging extra guitar tracks on the backing- for example the Glockenspiel on Genevieve. the sound was generally far superior to the Friday so this was very clear to my ears (i was a lot more tired than the night before so i didnt bawl along as much and heard a lot of these extra sonic details.)
Own that Dok, :von:!
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 11:40 Before i write anything about the performance the inside word (from as early as the middle of the Saturday afternoon) was that Dylan is sacked. He was asked/told to leave the venue after being told to leave the stage on Friday night. our sources are very in-the-know and as it transpired bang-on correct.
That would be interesting then to know the reason(s) for that.

They seemd the really enjoy themselves thus us. US tour gone pretty well, new songs, plentyful of them and out of nowewhere - thunderstuck. There must have been more than one night.

And still, i'll wait untill i'll buy the ticket for Łódź.
mh
Above the Chemist

Bartek wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 12:56
eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 11:40 Before i write anything about the performance the inside word (from as early as the middle of the Saturday afternoon) was that Dylan is sacked. He was asked/told to leave the venue after being told to leave the stage on Friday night. our sources are very in-the-know and as it transpired bang-on correct.

They seemd the really enjoy themselves thus us. US tour gone pretty well, new songs, plentyful of them and out of nowewhere - thunderstuck. There must have been more than one night.

Yes, I'd consider that the main evidence for there being something else going on behind the scenes. This kind of thing doesn't happen in isolation, it would have been very weird if just one night of tech problems and on-stage sulking led to that. It's hardly the first time this kind of thing has happened.

I obviously don't know and won't speculate any further, but respect to Dylan for what he did during his short tenure, despite what he did on Friday being a show of disrespect to the fans and the band. Whatever it is he has going on, all the good vibes to him, wishing him well, and I hope he gets it sorted.
Last edited by mh on 24 Sep 2023, 13:15, edited 2 times in total.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

bookish wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 12:16 Interesting, thanks.

But why is playing Giving Ground so significant?
Giving Ground is about Wayne. full story here
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Craig Fox
Road Kill

went both nights......words fail me Saturday what a car crash! like a Ben sings Sisters Kareoko or however u spell it. fair play Ben for carrying the concert though..even you at times looked fooked off with it. Andrew voice gone and a complete s**t show!! audience Friday really up for it and went off well for me....despite obvious issues and Dylans whatever it was (wife got pick of one finger outburst but won't let me upload!) L....Saturday half of audience knew how bad it was! lukewarm applause instead of mass chearing and people leaving 3 or 4 songs in! for me should have called it a day Friday night and given refunds for Saturday!!!
it's only my opinion.....but as a fan thats been home and away for many years thought worth sharing!! last few years have been best since early days ......especially with the new songs......just hope this is a temp blip and normal....normal!!!!!!... service resumed shortly.
Wishes to Mrs Davy and hope all are well.
eastmidswhizzkid

this wil be a rarity in years to come. Back print of a £10 bootleg from this weekkend. mine was a ggift from @lazarus corporation & his lovely girlfriend Sylvia.

Bartek
Underneath the Rock

mh wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 13:01

Yes, I'd consider that the main evidence for there being something else going on behind the scenes. This kind of thing doesn't happen in isolation, it would have been very weird if just one night of tech problems and on-stage sulking led to that. It's hardly the first time this kind of thing has happened.
If the rumoured reasons behind firing him up are true, then it's solely behind one night, but it was fair, IMHO.
Schade, but it happenes
Last edited by Bartek on 24 Sep 2023, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.
eastmidswhizzkid

bootleg hoody -£20

eastmidswhizzkid

Bartek wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 16:07

If the rumoured reasons behind firing him up are true, then it's solely behind one night, but its was fair, IMHO.
Schade, but it happenes
i think there could be a little more to the whole thing with regard to maybe insecurity viz-a-viz Chris's return to the fold. this isnt just my opinion there are a lot of us thinking the same thing.

Insomniaphd
Road Kill

Jan wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 12:23
bookish wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 12:16 Interesting, thanks.

But why is playing Giving Ground so significant?
„What you have lost can never be found“ …
Agree with the symbolism, but ‘Giving Ground’ has also been played other times recently, e.g. at one of the two US shows (Silver Spring/Washington, DC, area) I saw on the US tour mid-year.
darkerandbolder
Road Kill

Why was therr a mic stand onstage for Dylan?

If he'd been sacked, wouldn't that point have been madr clearer by Von requesting his stand be removed before the start? Seems odd to want to keep dodging it all night.

"Giving Ground" has been played plenty of times in recent years, and was on the printed setlist. Seems odd they would add it especially to make some sort of point.
eastmidswhizzkid

darkerandbolder wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 16:44 Why was therr a mic stand onstage for Dylan?

If he'd been sacked, wouldn't that point have been madr clearer by Von requesting his stand be removed before the start? Seems odd to want to keep dodging it all night.

"Giving Ground" has been played plenty of times in recent years, and was on the printed setlist. Seems odd they would add it especially to make some sort of point.
no idea why the mike stand was there but the set list is printed the same day & giving ground being played to make a point is EXACTLY the sort of thing Andrew would do. i akm not guessing about him being sacked. that information came from within the immediate iinner circle.

Bartek
Underneath the Rock

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 16:20
Bartek wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 16:07

If the rumoured reasons behind firing him up are true, then it's solely behind one night, but its was fair, IMHO.
Schade, but it happens
i think there could be a little more to the whole thing with regard to maybe insecurity viz-a-viz Chris's return to the fold. this isnt just my opinion there are a lot of us thinking the same thing.
Playing a junior psychologist role I'd assume the same, but then, well, pity that he ruined his career in TSOM this way, it cloud have been drugs like a normal "grown up" guy. :wink:
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Giving Ground has been on rotation, expected it to be played to be honest. What I did think was very Von-like was starting the show with I Will Call You, and Ben doing a fkng amazing solo When You Don't See Me :lol:

Last night was strange but brilliant. We were a coupla rows back from the 'spare mike', I presumed it had been set up so Ben could sing into it when rock-godding it up in the empty space, which he did plenty of. All around us people were bang into it and bouncing around having a great time. Ben was Hero of the Sisters Of Mercy last night, power in the face of adversity indeed. Cheers Sir :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

The weekend overall - another magnificent time in London, we loved every minute, everyone we met and spent time chatting with / bouncing around with, old and new, plenty of both, cheers to you all, you're all part of why we have such a brilliant time.

Long Live The Sisters!

Oh and Hi Chris, nice to see our postman back on stage with The Sisters. Do you want your shirt back mate? ;D

edit: worth noting that the sound was much better on Saturday. Dunno if that's due to technical logic or happenstance, but for sure the absence of a rhythm guitar had no negative impact on the sound of the gig, quite the opposite.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
eastmidswhizzkid

Planet Dave wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 17:26 Giving Ground has been on rotation, expected it to be played to be honest. What I did think was very Von-like was starting the show with I Will Call You, and Ben doing a fkng amazing solo When You Don't See Me :lol:

Last night was strange but brilliant. We were a coupla rows back from the 'spare mike', I presumed it had been set up so Ben could sing into it when rock-godding it up in the empty space, which he did plenty of. All around us people were bang into it and bouncing around having a great time. Ben was Hero of the Sisters Of Mercy last night, power in the face of adversity indeed. Cheers Sir :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

The weekend overall - another magnificent time in London, we loved every minute, everyone we met and spent time chatting with / bouncing around with, old and new, plenty of both, cheers to you all, you're all part of why we have such a brilliant time.

Long Live The Sisters!

Oh and Hi Chris, nice to see our postman back on stage with The Sisters. Do you want your shirt back mate? ;D

edit: worth noting that the sound was much better on Saturday. Dunno if that's due to technical logic or happenstance, but for sure the absence of a rhythm guitar had no negative impact on the sound of the gig, quite the opposite.
the sound was excellent on the Saturday. the sound guy sat nonchalantly in his chair for the whole gig & could easily have been napping. the prowling around looking irritatred demeanour of the Friday was absent.

Eldritch didnt look like he was having as much fun as on the Friday but there definitely seemed to be more of an air of controlled yet relaxed purpose about him. Ben looked like he had nothing to prove and in doing so proved it all. I agree re. Chris being back. He can still do whatever the f**k he likes on top -same as he always did- but he does kind of belong here.

So....Long Live The Sisters indeed! as we all know The Sisters are Eldritch and whoever he has as trusted leiutenants at any one time. when they are no longer trusted...they are no longer Sisters. This band will carry on in whichever way Andrew chooses until he can no longer do it and thats the way it is. Avocados arent the band but they sure as hell allow it to continue.

(for what its worth i thought Suzanne was quite pointed , haviing no verses it seemed the chorus was freed up tp take on a new meaning. it doesnt matter if that was my imagination. thats what its for. ) :von:

Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 19:55Ben looked like he had nothing to prove and in doing so proved it all.
Exactly this. Eloquently observed Sir! :notworthy:
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
H. Blackrose
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

People seem to be edging around saying outright that Dylan had had more of one or more substances than was good for him. If so, a sacking is sadly justified. But as I say, this would spell the end of TSOM's recent phase of writing some modern classics. Chris Catalyst rocks as a guitarist and a person, but the band simply wasn't prolific with him in it. I still had hopes that the girls could be more than a nostalgia act in the current era.

The other suggestion - that Dylan had a sulk because Chris was Nursing and Dylan felt threatened - also seems possible but even more pathetic and childish. Unless, again, Von/Ben were trying to bring Chris back into the band anyway and Dylan could sense the vibes? Wheels within wheels.
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."
Serialforeigner
Road Kill

H. Blackrose wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 01:22 People seem to be edging around saying outright that Dylan had had more of one or more substances than was good for him. If so, a sacking is sadly justified.
I've seen more than one Sster's show where Eldritch was clearly completely wasted before he got on stage. I remember when they played a double headliner with Depeche Mode in the 90s, and both Eldritch and Dave Gahan were so wrecked they spent all of their respective sets hanging grimly onto the mic stand in order to stay upright.
LyanvisAberrant
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I am very interested in hearing a recording of when you don't see me from this night if anyone's got one!
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

LyanvisAberrant wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 13:05 I am very interested in hearing a recording of when you don't see me from this night if anyone's got one!
There was a bit of that song where Ben realised he was on his own. His voice falters and he looked momentarily like he was gonna say f**k it, but then hunkered down and carried it off very well.
Goths have feelings too
Fallon
Road Kill

It seems patently absurd to think that Dylan felt "threatened" or "insecure" about the Catalyst Cameo. It's not exactly a secret that Eldritch and he remain on good terms, and if you're a guitarist in a band whose backline is all machines and you need to replace your usual nurse, you'd pick the one who knows how it works.

I'm saddened that Dylan is gone and as much as anything else,I'm somewhat nervous that Eldritch won't bother to replace him and will call quits on the whole thing after this run of touring is finished.
sultan2075
Overbomber

Fallon wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 16:36 It seems patently absurd to think that Dylan felt "threatened" or "insecure" about the Catalyst Cameo. It's not exactly a secret that Eldritch and he remain on good terms, and if you're a guitarist in a band whose backline is all machines and you need to replace your usual nurse, you'd pick the one who knows how it works.

I'm saddened that Dylan is gone and as much as anything else,I'm somewhat nervous that Eldritch won't bother to replace him and will call quits on the whole thing after this run of touring is finished.
Yeah, I agree. This all makes perfect sense, and I’m always skeptical about armchair psychologizing.

I’m a little surprised by the whole thing insofar as they struck me as a well-oiled machine at this point.

If calling it quits compelled Von to empty the vaults they wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world I suppose…. But I’d rather see the machine maintain momentum. I guess we’ll find out soon enough.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Rossva1189
Road Kill

No idea how many times I’ve seen the sisters over the years, must be at least 20 times. This was, without doubt, worst show I’ve ever seen.

I read with interest the thread about 22/09 (couldn’t make it to this one, only 23/09), and seems both dates were an absolute car wreck.

God knows what was going on with eldritch, my guess was he was wasted, but the way he left Ben to cover most of the vocals was a joke. I didn’t spend almost £1k (all things considered for the travel, the accommodation etc) to see a sisters covers band. But that’s what this felt like.

A terrible shame cos the set list was bloody awesome, shame some of the songs were almost unrecognisable.

And whoever was in charge on the mixing desk needs their P45. The sound was dire.

I EVEN contemplated leaving before the encore, person I was with spoke me out of it though.
Pista
Cureboi

Rossva1189 wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 18:23 No idea how many times I’ve seen the sisters over the years, must be at least 20 times. This was, without doubt, worst show I’ve ever seen.

I read with interest the thread about 22/09 (couldn’t make it to this one, only 23/09), and seems both dates were an absolute car wreck.

God knows what was going on with eldritch, my guess was he was wasted, but the way he left Ben to cover most of the vocals was a joke. I didn’t spend almost £1k (all things considered for the travel, the accommodation etc) to see a sisters covers band. But that’s what this felt like.

A terrible shame cos the set list was bloody awesome, shame some of the songs were almost unrecognisable.

And whoever was in charge on the mixing desk needs their P45. The sound was dire.

I EVEN contemplated leaving before the encore, person I was with spoke me out of it though.
Hello & welcome to :hl:
Interesting reading these last 2 show threads & the wildly varying opinions on the shows.
Not having been there, I can only take from what I read & what I've seen/ heard on YT it honestly makes me quite sad that the band I fell in love with in the mid 80's has become this. :(
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

Aside from everything… wonderful as ever to see folks. You know who you are. And lovely to meet new people.
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”