"He's not been well"

Gig news, reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on The Sisters 2023 tour.
H. Blackrose
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Word from Vienna seems to be that, while it was a great show, Von seemed to be having problems walking across the stage. Not sure what that means.
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."
Fallon
Road Kill

He's not a young person, and people who aren't young people get tired and unwell a little easier than many other people. Not sure that all the extra stuff about what's going on in the band is as relevant as all that.

The fact is, there's a lot of people who don't get paid if the shows don't happen, so it's unsurprising that his preference is to push through except where physically impossible - if you get taken away in the back of an ambulance, it seems rather more likely that the tour's insurance will kick in.

Short of that type of thing, the band goes into the red pretty quickly, and as much as we all love Ben and Kai, they ain't pro bono - and I shall leave the U2 jokes to you.

As an aside, we may not have realised how much we needed Kai's falsetto in the Sisters)

It's usually the case that these things are a question of economic necessity and basic pragmatism before they're a question of anything else.

Put simply: it's more expensive to stop a tour than it is to see it through to completion. Here's hoping the lad recovers in full, and comes back with a more sustainable approach. For his sake, not the fans'.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

To me, all that you, @Fallon, wrote is valid, while it's rational.
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Fallon wrote: 09 Nov 2023, 11:56 He's not a young person, and people who aren't young people get tired and unwell a little easier than many other people. Not sure that all the extra stuff about what's going on in the band is as relevant as all that.

Indeed. This is a man in his 60's , a lifelong heavy smoker, allegedly likes a drink whilst performing, living on a bus for months at a time, is it surprising that he gets unwell?
The Mishun's Simon Hinkler does some really illuminating tour diaries and it's a cavalcade of poor food choices, sleep deprivation and over indulgence. He makes it plain that living in a tour bus for extended periods is not a pleasant experience.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Being645
Intellectual Love God

Fortunately, the last series of concerts showed a well-organiseed band in best mood. All the difficulties have been handled and done with and they now sound better than ever again ... :D :D :D ...

Maybe next time, preparations for a tour (or for the rescheduled and new dates next year) would at best consider a few improvements especially regards physical preparation like a concentrated warm-up time in private to avoid sudden physical (and / or vocal) overloads ... getting old is nothing to avoid and it takes its tolls, but one can handle it and take measures for a further joyful and fully active existence even in the long run... :D ... and to everybody's pleasure ... ;D ;D ;D ... Please.
mugabe

Referring to 20-odd years of inconvenience and disappointment as a ”sudden burst” is rather peculiar, pronouns notwithstanding.
Nothing ventured, nothing lost
Esoterica
Road Kill

Getting older isn’t the problem, really. Making old age work for you, is. :wink:
Incoming!
Amphetamine Filth

copper wrote: 08 Nov 2023, 23:00 Strained, because

- advanced age (in his profession)
- fired guitarist / lost friend abruptly
- tour / band jeopardized temporarily
- exposure to a virus while traveling(?)

Every cancellation adds to his plight, so it's complicated.
Let's add heavy smoker since his teens.
Heavy drinker (is my understanding via interviews he's given)
Years of heavy "med" participation
Current "meds" situation? (don't know anything about that)
He's not a god.
This place is death with walls
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Just noticed the latest update on the live page... He's not been well. He's well again. ;D

Good to know. If you fancy a warm-up before the Weisbaden show Von you could always squeeze a gig in at Project House on Armley Rd. Have a word with Chris, he'll sort it for you. Sound is brilliant in there 8) :innocent:
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
copper
Amphetamine Filth

Yup, he's well again and back at it.

"I spend 10 months at home with my cats, locked into my computer" - Von, Mojo Magazine, Apr 97
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

:lol:
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
H. Blackrose

It's not getting better.

Pre-Christmas European tour: 5 gigs missed out of 39 = 12%
Post-Christmas: 2 gigs missed out of 9 = 22%
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

I've noticed a suggestion that AE was limping during the last gig, plus some wild idea that the issue might have something with diabetes, and if it's true, then the stupid photos/videos from Gent or the other place and suggestion that he was drunk might have absolutely nothing with reality as hyperglycemia from the outside looks like someone is drunk.

But, this is extremely sensitive and very private matters, and it's totally finger in the air, and i believe we will never learn if it's true.

Anyhow, I'm wishing AE to get health. I'd love to see them outside of my Vaterland.
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

"He's not been well"....and then the cancelled gigs which i seriously don't think without reason and dissection of what should be done and how things are communicated and the bla bla bla with everyone having an opinion. get over yourselves these things happen.

dear von
thank you for what you have given us this past tour :notworthy: you and your boys pulled it off. :notworthy: 💜 :notworthy:
now get your ass on an island in the middle of nowhere and sip cocktails and read that book.
you deserve it sir :von: :kiss:
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
splintered thing

Here's hoping he finds a way to recover and find good health, as per above, he 100% deserves a break.
and ..maybe a gentler touring schedule next time....
as the day is long,
rain from heaven
Elamanamou19
Road Kill

Surely he’s financially stable to retire? These gruelling tour’s obviously isn’t doing his heath any good. He must look after himself!! He could always volunteer at a local cat rescue!? Do something completely different! If you retire I’m sure we would understand and we can look back on fondness and gratitude 🙏
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Elamanamou19 wrote: 09 Feb 2024, 17:16 Surely he’s financially stable to retire? These gruelling tour’s obviously isn’t doing his heath any good. He must look after himself!! He could always volunteer at a local cat rescue!? Do something completely different! If you retire I’m sure we would understand and we can look back on fondness and gratitude 🙏
A handful of dates already lined up for the summer, doesn't look like he's ready to retire just yet.

On the subject of which, dear Von, and whilst acknowledging that we'll be well catered for in the coming weeks by your band members, and recent and ridiculously groovy associates with gigs at the Warehouse and Brudenell, it still behoves me to politely request that you PLYC :kiss: thank you kind Sir.
ruffers
Overbomber

He's always stomps / lumbers across the stage for years. He's no Rudolf Nureyev...

Let's not look for stuff that isn't there.
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
Gothicbiff

Planet Dave wrote: 09 Feb 2024, 20:54
Elamanamou19 wrote: 09 Feb 2024, 17:16 Surely he’s financially stable to retire? These gruelling tour’s obviously isn’t doing his heath any good. He must look after himself!! He could always volunteer at a local cat rescue!? Do something completely different! If you retire I’m sure we would understand and we can look back on fondness and gratitude 🙏
A handful of dates already lined up for the summer, doesn't look like he's ready to retire just yet.

On the subject of which, dear Von, and whilst acknowledging that we'll be well catered for in the coming weeks by your band members, and recent and ridiculously groovy associates with gigs at the Warehouse and Brudenell, it still behoves me to politely request that you PLYC :kiss: thank you kind Sir.
At risk of sounding completely stupid...please tell this country bumpkin what PLYC means
:lol: :lol:
I have seen The Sisters at The Paradiso. I will die happy
With massive thanks to Ruffers for his company and help.
A girl is never too old to wear a Sisters tshirt!
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Gothicbiff wrote: 09 Feb 2024, 23:23

At risk of sounding completely stupid...please tell this country bumpkin what PLYC means
:lol: Play Leeds You See You Next Tuesdays :lol: it is, it goes without saying but said anyway, a term of endearment :von: :kiss:
Gothicbiff

Planet Dave wrote: 09 Feb 2024, 23:43

:lol: Play Leeds You See You Next Tuesdays :lol: it is, it goes without saying but said anyway, a term of endearment :von: :kiss:
Ahh...every day is a school day :P
So the "L" could be replaced by any convenient/desired location initials :von:
I have seen The Sisters at The Paradiso. I will die happy
With massive thanks to Ruffers for his company and help.
A girl is never too old to wear a Sisters tshirt!
sultan2075
Overbomber

ruffers wrote: 09 Feb 2024, 23:22 He's always stomps / lumbers across the stage for years. He's no Rudolf Nureyev...

Let's not look for stuff that isn't there.
There have been some clips I've seen over the last couple of years that make it look to me like he might be dealing with some back pain (I say this because I was a in a car accident 20 years ago, which has been the gift that keeps on giving, and sometimes, when it's acting up, I find myself lumbering about in the same way).
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Gothicbiff wrote: 10 Feb 2024, 00:35
Planet Dave wrote: 09 Feb 2024, 23:43

Ahh...every day is a school day :P
So the "L" could be replaced by any convenient/desired location initials :von:
:lol: no no Liz this is not correct, the L most definitely and exclusively stands for Leeds :lol: :kiss:
Elamanamou19
Road Kill

PLYC Now I know the meaning too 😂
ruffers
Overbomber

And since I moved to Leeds.... Nothing

Although it's much easier to bump into a Sister of mercy at a festival or in the street, to be fair
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow