Chris Catalyst interview in sinzine.com

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

haven't seen this mentioned on here yet, but there's an interview with chris from last year (just after japan and just before the down-under dates were re-arranged) :von:

"Chris Catalyst : Sisters do it for themselves in a merciless music biz"

http://sinzine.com/component/k2/item/99 ... -music-biz

choice quotes:
We are always writing new songs. We are always playing new songs. Occasionally, we record bits. The fans get to hear it at the gigs; they get to trade the bootlegs on the 'net; we don't have to spend months in a studio (on a daily rate of whatever) for the album to then be torrented to death and for us to see nothing from it. We do alright out of just doing gigs, and there's no sign of that ending any time soon. The recent Glasgow date sold more tickets than the 2006 date at the same venue. As Andrew would probably say... 'Go figure'.
The best places I've been with the Sisters are Sao Paulo (for sheer mentalness and devotion), Japan (for the amazing culture shock) and Brussels (for the cheese board).
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

we don't have to spend months in a studio (on a daily rate of whatever) for the album to then be torrented to death and for us to see nothing from it.
Well, good luck with the EM releases then... :lol:
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

two worlds apart and two together
copper
Amphetamine Filth

I would love to make a Sisters album, but Andrew has been burned one too many times by useless labels making promises that they never keep. I get a lot of the e-mails that labels send to us when they are either wanting to release new stuff or licence old stuff, and the last one (from the former label, as it happens) was entitled: 'FAO: SISTERS OF MERCEY'.
A well-oiled rock machine like the Sisters needs a well-oiled rock machine of a label to look after it all. Should that label come along, and offer enough time, money and help (and the right sort of help), then yes, I can see it happening. Unfortunately, the chances of such a label existing are roughly as remote as finding Shergar nuts deep in Lord Lucan on Atlantis.
Guess that answers a few questions.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Nothing new! Same old stories.
"as we walk on the floodland"
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

is there interview with Ben saying that they are still writing, recodring (some times) and playing new songs live?
maybe it's true, maybe they playing under another secret name in small pub in Mansfield every 3rd Tuesday?
Machine Regime
Amphetamine Filth

Bartek wrote:is there interview with Ben saying that they are still writing, recodring (some times) and playing new songs live?
maybe it's true, maybe they playing under another secret name in small pub in Mansfield every 3rd Tuesday?
They're definitely stretching the definition of 'new' to unprecedented levels. *cough*
People do so like to help you keep your feet on the ground
Being645
Above the Chemist

Machine Regime wrote:
They're definitely stretching the definition of 'new' to unprecedented levels. *cough*
Ah no. Why should they. I think they are experimenting all the time, collecting bits,
sometimes integrating them into the shows, sometimes keeping them for later consideration ... just very normal, isn't it? ... :lol: ;D ...
Elystan
Amphetamine Filth

Maybe when they say playing they don't mean to us
Jeremiah
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I think Andrew, Ben and I get on very well for two people who've basically lived together for three of the past seven years.
So which of them is not a person? :P
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

copper wrote:
I would love to make a Sisters album, but Andrew has been burned one too many times by useless labels making promises that they never keep. I get a lot of the e-mails that labels send to us when they are either wanting to release new stuff or licence old stuff, and the last one (from the former label, as it happens) was entitled: 'FAO: SISTERS OF MERCEY'.
A well-oiled rock machine like the Sisters needs a well-oiled rock machine of a label to look after it all. Should that label come along, and offer enough time, money and help (and the right sort of help), then yes, I can see it happening. Unfortunately, the chances of such a label existing are roughly as remote as finding Shergar nuts deep in Lord Lucan on Atlantis.
Not really. It's just the same carefully rehearsed excuses designed to make them sound more important than they really are.
Jeremiah wrote:
I think Andrew, Ben and I get on very well for two people who've basically lived together for three of the past seven years.
So which of them is not a person? :P
Von, of course, is the Prince of Darkness and therefore not a person in any petty sense that we mortals might recognise.
DeWinter
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

stufarq wrote:
copper wrote:
Not really. It's just the same carefully rehearsed excuses designed to make them sound more important than they really are.
I seem to remember reading on The Sisters website Eldo being astonished that the band were no longer considered major label worthy anymore. Im at a bit of a loss as to why he imagines they would be, none of their contemporaries have managed that, even bands with more commercial success like Dead or Alive.
"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood.."
sultan2075
Overbomber

DeWinter wrote:
stufarq wrote:
copper wrote: Guess that answers a few questions.
I seem to remember reading on The Sisters website Eldo being astonished that the band were no longer considered major label worthy anymore. Im at a bit of a loss as to why he imagines they would be, none of their contemporaries have managed that, even bands with more commercial success like Dead or Alive.
I've got to admit, I never thought of Dead or Alive as a contemporary except chronologically (which is, I guess, what the word actually means). I always thought that the TSOM were head-and-shoulders above most of their contemporaries in various important ways (lyrics, musical style, creativity, etc). Who, from that era, is still really doing it well? Off the top of my head (and reasonable people may disagree) I think of Nick Cave (the Grinderman records make up for what I view as lackluster Bad Seeds records since they peaked, IMO, with The Boatman's Call), JG "Elvis" Thirwell (who just gets better by the day), and, well... that's about it, really. I think Von could have been in the same league as them, both creatively and commercially, if he'd wanted to do so. I do think he had (has?) the talent. I just don't think he can be bothered. Which is fine; one cannot do all things that one might do, and the satisfaction of one potentiality necessarily involves the closing off of various others. The satisfactions of private life are greater than those found in the hedonistic rock and roll lifestyle, I'd imagine--especially as you age. That's certainly been my experience. And let's face it: unless your Lemmy or Keith Richards, it becomes rather pathetic after a certain age. I get the impression Von is too smart for that--so the weekend job approach to the band makes sense.

As for not being major-label-worthy, well: how much did they cost the label(s) and how much did they bring in? Given how long it took them to make product, and how much the recording of said product costs, I rather suspect there was not a sufficiently high return-on-investment for a major label (back then) to really be interested. Today? I don't know that a major label is necessary anymore, unless you're Lady Gaga (which Von is not).
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

The Sisters of Mercy was well oiled machine, last important album that had any impact on music was released nearly 25 years ago ("Floodland"). I can't see why anyone want/could/ought/should pay them that much as Mr E wants and put money on promotion of possible album that could be just one of many. I mean, i do understand publicity impact of '"first album since 20 years" but, i'm afraid that's not enough for any label.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Bartek wrote:The Sisters of Mercy was well oiled machine, last important album that had any impact on music was released nearly 25 years ago ("Floodland"). I can't see why anyone want/could/ought/should pay them that much as Mr E wants and put money on promotion of possible album that could be just one of many. I mean, i do understand publicity impact of '"first album since 20 years" but, i'm afraid that's not enough for any label.
One of the best thing about those long, hard decades without a contract, but with plenty frustrating, demotivating and devaluating commentation is that The Sisters of Mercy have first of all survived, and secondly reached a stage where they don't even need the support of idiots who are unable to assess (and distribute) their produce properly. Sisters albums always had an enormous impact not only on the music at the time when they were released, but in plenty other ways as well. Only if I think of the almost uncountable number of Eldritch-lookalikes walking round here where I live ... This did not happen because of Floodland but way more due to Vision Thing and ended only some time in the 2000s. Also, a Sisters album has always been something that stands by itself within a cultural environment that is, yeah, as surprised as shocked by its arrival because it had all been there, obvious and without anybody else bringing these things to a few very, very pretty points. I have no doubt, they can do that anytime again, as soon as there's reason and pleasure within. First album since 20 years? Haha ... :lol: :lol: ... I couldn't think up anything further off mark.

But hell. It's not the time for a new album now anyway. So what ... :wink:
Being645
Above the Chemist

Bartek wrote:The Sisters of Mercy was well oiled machine, last important album that had any impact on music was released nearly 25 years ago ("Floodland"). I can't see why anyone want/could/ought/should pay them that much as Mr E wants and put money on promotion of possible album that could be just one of many. I mean, i do understand publicity impact of '"first album since 20 years" but, i'm afraid that's not enough for any label.
One of the best things about those long, hard decades without a contract, but with plenty frustrating, demotivating and devaluating commentation is that
The Sisters of Mercy have first of all survived, and secondly reached a stage where they don't even need the support of idiots who are unable to assess (and distribute) their produce properly. Sisters albums always had an enormous impact not only on the music at the time when they were released, but in plenty other ways as well. Only if I think of the almost uncountable number of Eldritch-lookalikes walking round here where I live ... This did not happen because of Floodland but way more due to Vision Thing and ended only some time in the 2000s. Also, a Sisters album has always been something that stands by itself within a cultural environment that is, yeah, as surprised as shocked by its arrival because it had all been there, obvious and without anybody else bringing these things to a few very, very pretty points. I have no doubt, they can do that anytime again, as soon as there's reason and pleasure within. First album
since 20 years? Haha ... :lol: :lol: ... I couldn't think up anything further off mark.

But hell. It's not the time for a new album now anyway. So what ... :wink:
copper
Amphetamine Filth

stufarq wrote:It's just the same carefully rehearsed excuses designed to make them sound more important than they really are.
My point being,

There's one person consistently declining to deal with record labels when it comes to a 4th LP.

In general, the label interest (in whatever capacity) is there.

The :von: interest is not and I felt Chris was being upfront about it.
Drenchrom
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Personally i'd like The Sisters to sign to Mute, and have them produced by the guys from Massive Attack. Although we could be waiting even longer for that elusive album.

Matt..
sultan2075
Overbomber

In the Very Distant Past, I actually wrote to them and suggested ANTI/Epitaph, who would have probably jumped at the chance to sign them. If it's good enough for Tom Waits and Merle Haggard...
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

I'm surprised nobody's popped up with a "if I won the lottery..." quote in this thread yet. :wink:
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

If i won lottery i would buy 3 or 4 bedrooms flat and live happy life from interests, readding books and traveling. ;D
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Bartek wrote:If i won lottery i would buy 3 or 4 bedrooms flat and live happy life from interests, readding books and traveling. ;D
Pretty much just like Von then?
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

pretty much but, without fans bitching that i'm not releasing new album.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

sultan2075 wrote:unless you're Lady Gaga (which Von is not).
Thanks for clearing that one up. I'd been wondering.
sultan2075
Overbomber

stufarq wrote:
sultan2075 wrote:unless you're Lady Gaga (which Von is not).
Thanks for clearing that one up. I'd been wondering.
It's an easy mistake to make.
--